closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi RS4 recaros stolen

Audi RS4 recaros stolen

A friend left his 56 plate RS4 at the local Audi dealer for a gearbox oil change. He asked them not to leave it outside in case of theft.
    Anyway they did and his front seats were stolen.
    Apparently they are stolen to order. He’s been quoted a mind boggling £22000 (twenty two thousand) fitted to replace them.
    My jaw dropped.
    It’s likely to be written off now but he’s trying to get the dealer to offer compensation.
    Crazy prices

Andy

Craftsman
    22k that's madness. Not sure how that works but I would be fuming especially as the car was in there possession. Hope he gets it sorted, but I think my blood pressure would be through the roof if Audi don't sort it.

He’s pretty mad as you can understand. He’s owned that car from new

£22k! He can get a whole car for half that!

Master
    Their premises their insurance surely?

Master
    Bonkers, but the Audi dealers problem, surely?

It was on their premises and in their care wasn’t it, so their insurance will be coughing up?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Their premises their fault.

Master
    Does anyone actually know the legal (not moral) position regarding the garage having been given instructions by the owner relating to the cars security while in their care, and their liability?
    I would hope they are responsible, probably via their insurer, but am aware that might not be the case, hence the question. A definitive answer may help not only the OP's friend, but maybe some of us in the future.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Does anyone actually know the legal (not moral) position regarding the garage having been given instructions by the owner relating to the cars security while in their care, and their liability?
    I would hope they are responsible, probably via their insurer, but am aware that might not be the case, hence the question. A definitive answer may help not only the OP's friend, but maybe some of us in the future.
    I imagine all the OP wants is new seats to put him back in the position he was in before this happened but given that utterly absurd cost, I imagine Audi will dispute the verbal storage request/instructions and along with the insurers will wriggle like worms on a very hot griddle!

Master
    Time to use his legal cover me thinks

We learn a new thing everyday
    What car not to buy

Master
    Unfortunately this a known problem with B7 RS4's- I used to sell a hell of a lot of them back in the day- When they first came out in 2006 my local police force (Thames Valley) had markers on their system to stop any seen at night as they were being stolen and used for jobs. Interiors have been/are stolen to order and have heard of quite a few getting written off, which is crazy .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I'm sure there will be a little sign up somewhere stating that cars are left at customer's risk. Most garages have them.

Been reading about theftbif these seats for years now. Awful, and one reason I wouldn’t buy the car as it’s an instant target. Seats need to have unique identifiers to prevent this and police need to be hot on any modified golfs or Audi’s that have these seats in. I suspect there will be a couple of gangs responsible for all the thefts.

Master
    What's the market value of the car?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    What's the market value of the car?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    That is the problem especially with older cars are written off for the interior. If you go to any motor show it is amazing the number of Golfs etc with these seats in. As the doors deadlock they somehow get them out through the windows too !

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    A friend left his 56 plate RS4 at the local Audi dealer for a gearbox oil change. He asked them not to leave it outside in case of theft.
    Anyway they did and his front seats were stolen.
    Apparently they are stolen to order. He’s been quoted a mind boggling £22000 (twenty two thousand) fitted to replace them.
    My jaw dropped.
    It’s likely to be written off now but he’s trying to get the dealer to offer compensation.
    Crazy prices

Andy
    Well having had this when I worked at VW around 2007 (R32 recaro’s, same seats but without the active bolsters) our insurance excess was £10,000 we just paid for new seats and fitting.

£22k seems excessive when they were about £2300 each back then!

Master
    We never left any customers cars outside overnight, not Audis, but any damage could occur, pub 50 yards away. Surely once the garage have possession of the car keys it becomes their responsibility regardless of any disclaimer signs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I'm sure there will be a little sign up somewhere stating that cars are left at customer's risk. Most garages have them.
    That sign only works (perhaps) when he’d parked the car & handed the keys without asking them to put the car inside.

Must say that 22,000 for two Recaros is even better business than Submariners. Totally inflated. On the other hand, they must be worth a lot since they’re getting stolen. Still... 22k?

Edit: added to that, the best chance of finding the correct seat would be eBay Germany
    Last edited by thieuster; 6th April 2019 at 13:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Surely once the garage have possession of the car keys it becomes their responsibility regardless of any disclaimer signs.
    This. Whatever verbal instructions he gave are irrelevant. If he left the keys with them their insurance should cover the theft.

Was this a main dealer or an independent?

Craftsman
    I found the £22k part hard to believe so I googled it and sure enough...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...-to-order.html

Some Audi mechanic charging £132 an hour to build the seats back in 2014...I’m clearly in the wrong job!

How much would one have to pay for a written off one minus the seats?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Definitely not £22k less that’s for sure lol!

Are these the ones? Two sets for sale both in Leicester at £2.5k and £2.3k

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    50/-
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I think his main problem is whose ever insurance will cover it, it will be written off and he will be without his treasured car.

I will let you know how it all unfolds

Craftsman
    I think his main problem is whose ever insurance will cover it, it will be written off and he will be without his treasured car.

I will let you know how it all unfolds
    If he isn't worried about the car having a written-off marker on its history, I'd just let them write it off, buy it back from them at a fraction of its value and fit a second hand set of seats (or a set of Recaro Sportster CSes, which are lovely) . I agree it seems silly that interior theft could write off the car, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to part with the car.

Surely the onus of care is with the dealer so their insurance should sort it out. I think the signs are there for visitors to the dealer who might pop in and out.

I get the impression that the dealer is trying it on with the replacement costs hoping your friend will go away. Also knowing the car they must also know it’s “thievability” status so leaving it parked outside was also just poor responsibility on their part.

If need be take them to the small claims court, is there a max claim amount for small claims?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    If need be take them to the small claims court, is there a max claim amount for small claims?

The OP would be well within:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...ney/court-fees

Audi RS4 recaros stolen

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    £22k! He can get a whole car for half that!
    You can get a perfectly functional watch for half the price of a replacement link for a Rolex bracelet

Any high end brand will pull your pants down when it comes to repair or replacement parts because

1) if you want genuine stuff, they have you over a barrel. You pay what they tell you to pay

2) you probably do want genuine stuff because your desire for quality is why you’re a customer in the first place
    Last edited by The_Perfect_Sandwich; 7th April 2019 at 13:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Surely the onus of care is with the dealer so their insurance should sort it out. I think the signs are there for visitors to the dealer who might pop in and out.

I get the impression that the dealer is trying it on with the replacement costs hoping your friend will go away. Also knowing the car they must also know it’s “thievability” status so leaving it parked outside was also just poor responsibility on their part.

I think the maximum for a small claims court is 5K

If the Car was on the Garages premises it’s 100% down to them to sort this out.
    You left instructions for the Car not to be left out side and that’s what the Garage did just ask to see the Dealer Principal
    and tell him what you said to the service department.
    If you sill do not get what you want contact Audi UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I think the maximum for a small claims court is 5K

Pretty sure it's nothing like that low.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...ney/court-fees

Strangely enough I was on a test drive yesterday in a Type R and was telling the sales manager what happened and he said once they take the keys the car is their responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    You can get a perfectly functional watch for half the price of a replacement link for a Rolex bracelet

Any high end brand will pull your pants down when it comes to repair or replacement parts because

1) if you want genuine stuff, they have you over a barrel. You pay what they tell you to pay

2) you probably do want genuine stuff because your desire for quality is why you’re a customer in the first place
    I meant he could buy a whole B7 RS4.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Unfortunately this a known problem with B7 RS4's- I used to sell a hell of a lot of them back in the day- When they first came out in 2006 my local police force (Thames Valley) had markers on their system to stop any seen at night as they were being stolen and used for jobs. Interiors have been/are stolen to order and have heard of quite a few getting written off, which is crazy .
    Audi RS, S and certain Quattro models along with BMW M and M Sport and VW R models remain the preferred choice unfortunately.
    Last edited by MST; 7th April 2019 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    No he won’t. The Small Claims Track limit is £10,000. If he presents a claim for either his seats or the write off value of his car, it will be for over £10,000 which will take the matter into the Fast Track. The difference between the two tracks is primarily costs. If he loses in the Fast Track, he has to pay the other parties costs. In the Small Claims Track, there are generally no costs awarded win or lose.

OP or OP’s friend, don’t take legal advice from the internet as you don’t know whether it’s accurate or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    No he won’t. The Small Claims Track limit is £10,000. If he presents a claim for either his seats or the write off value of his car, it will be for over £10,000 which will take the matter into the Fast Track. The difference between the two tracks is primarily costs. If he loses in the Fast Track, he has to pay the other parties costs. In the Small Claims Track, there are generally no costs awarded win or lose.

OP or OP’s friend, don’t take legal advice from the internet as you don’t know whether it’s accurate or not.
    The last paragraph is accurate.

A solicitor will likely give you a quick appraisal of the situation and the options you have.

I suspect the OP has a very real chance of winning a claim in or before court, but for the sake of a few quid allow a professional to review it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    The last paragraph is accurate.

A solicitor will likely give you a quick appraisal of the situation and the options you have.

I suspect the OP has a very real chance of winning a claim in or before court, but for the sake of a few quid allow a professional to review it!
    As I sugested earlier, time for the legal cover on his home insurance...

Craftsman
    Surely a car with emissions that high and mpg that low should be scrapped anyway.
    No excuse for having a car with an engine that dirty theses days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Surely a car with emissions that high and mpg that low should be scrapped anyway.
    Zzzzzzzz

Craftsman
    "Active Bolsters"? Some kind of expensive g-meter controlled inflating restraint in the seat?

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    If it makes you feels better he had covered 110,000 miles since he brought it and the average mpg over that period was 11 mpg. He drove it very hard which is why he loved it so much

If it makes you feels better he had covered 110,000 miles since he brought it and the average mpg over that period was 11 mpg. He drove it very hard which is why he loved it so much
    Nominal 50k on fuel... ? Jesus H Christ !!
    Where did he bring it from ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    "Active Bolsters"? Some kind of expensive g-meter controlled inflating restraint in the seat?
    Yep side bolsters inflate and deflate when you corner to hold you on the seat.

Looking at the photo, they look very much like Recaro Pole Positions- which cost about £2k if you go leather. The seat bolster does however look a bit different on the Audi seats, but I am sure the folks at Southbound could stitch up some swabs.

That said a pair of genuine 964 RS Pole Position were for sale on EBay for £15k.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Strange situation all round. CCTV? Dealer 100% liable? Audi (company) committing some kind of fraud by charging so much...?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Looking at the photo, they look very much like Recaro Pole Positions- which cost about £2k if you go leather. The seat bolster does however look a bit different on the Audi seats, but I am sure the folks at Southbound could stitch up some swabs.

That said a pair of genuine 964 RS Pole Position were for sale on EBay for £15k.
    Pretty sure they’re not Pole Positions, but if they were, I can tell you the Audi mark up on the Poles in mine is amusingly bad too (the RRP is something like £3500 each compared to circa £2k each for comparable non-Audi Pole positions in similar materials). And the Poles are basic seats.

Sadly I suspect plenty of those sub £2k Wingback seats for sale on Facebook are pinched.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

sadly if the garage has a x/s and the costs exceed this to repair ,& they pass the claim to their insurers, the insurer will either pay to repair only if economical to do so , or deal as a total loss as the car is beyond economical repair if repair costs exceed the vehicles pre accident value or constructive total loss if the repair cost together with the salvage value exceed the vehicle p.a.v. the vehicle should be categorised as a cat N ( non structural), probably the owner may be able to negotiate to retain the salvage with the insurer at a cost/reduction in the settlement. but the owner must be aware with a knowledge of hpi/ loss history any subsequent insurance claim will be effected by a reduction in value or when he comes to sell.( and he has to inform his own insurers )

and the repair cost is no surprise to me , be aware new headlamps on new BMWs can cost between 2-4 K alone. its the price of technology.
    Last edited by mitch1956; 8th April 2019 at 21:24.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    and the repair cost is no surprise to me , be aware new headlamps on new BMWs can cost between 2-4 K alone. its the price of technology.
    The reality, is the cost's are vastly inflated and not representative of the actual cost.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

These seats must be very comfortable.