closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: John Mayer talking watches 2

Craftsman

John Mayer talking watches 2

Hodinkee added a new talking watches with John Mayer last week imho well worth a look. Some of his daytona's are stunning, that's a man with a definate passion

Enjoyed that.

Master

John Mayer talking watches 2

Yes, and the current model of Daytona he singled out as special is the one I sold. Typical....
    The daft thing is you could get one, white gold, almost new, for a couple of grand more than a grey dealer ceramic. And there’s no comparison....as soon as the Meyer video appeared I started getting people asking if it was still up for sale. Several months too late.
    I miss it, but that’s life. Live with your mistakes, there will be more to come....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 6th April 2019 at 06:03.

I love the talking watches series and really enjoyed part 1 with John Mayer 5 years ago and really enjoyed part 2. The guy knows his stuff and I love hearing him talk about watches,he’s got such a passion for it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Yes, and the current model of Daytona he singled out as special is the one I sold. Typical....
    The daft thing is you could get one, white gold, almost new, for a couple of grand more than a grey dealer ceramic. And there’s no comparison....as soon as the Meyer video appeared I started getting people asking if it was still up for sale. Several months too late.
    I miss it, but that’s life. Live with your mistakes, there will be more to come....

Obviously I started a bit of research and your listing on SC came up and yes looking back that looked a great buy for someone. But like you say there will be others. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I really need to get a crystal ball first or never sell a watch.
    Now who has a yellow gold with green dial.

Craftsman
    I liked John Mayer comment on how all these watches are the drugs he never did. Certainly a smart move in my eyes and how Ed Sheeran is not wasting his money.

Craftsman
    Great episode, found his perspective on the rainbow diamond Rolex’s pretty interesting.

However;
    “It’s not about the money.” Says the rich guy sat next to $ million watch collection...

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    I liked John Mayer comment on how all these watches are the drugs he never did. Certainly a smart move in my eyes and how Ed Sheeran is not wasting his money.
    Our favourite ginger busker doesn't waste money on a band either!

As for Mayer, I can't make my mind up?
    Very interesting & articulate in front of the camera, but I would imagine his ego getting in the way of those around him.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Our favourite ginger busker doesn't waste money on a band either!

Very interesting & articulate in front of the camera, but I would imagine his ego getting in the way of those around him.
    Mayer definitely a smug git he knows he's bought well

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    However;
    “It’s not about the money.” Says the rich guy sat next to $ million watch collection...
    Well, yes, because for him it’s not about the money.

I enjoyed it, though he can waffle on a little... you can’t deny his passion and knowledge for the watches. If he wasn’t a successful musician then he’d probably spend the same amount of time collecting more humble fare and enjoying the hobby.

Master
    The thing is, because of his fame and contacts, Meyer doesn’t need to follow the market, he helps make it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post

Funnily enough, he actually describes himself as a recovered ego addict.

I've been a fan of Mayer's music for a while - well before I realised he was a fellow watch nut. I admire his passion for horology and I like his sense of humour, but John clearly has a 'problem' with WIS addiction justified by his rationale that its 'all the drugs I never did'. Fair enough, but I can't help feeling a couple of those vintage Daytonas could go towards a philanthropic cause rather than fuelling a desire to have every conceivable dial variation and reference. Each to their own, but I'm sure he must donate plenty of money to charitable causes in his spare time.

Personally I preferred his first 'Talking Watches' episode as the collection seemed more varied and less obsessive. Part II seems to show a man with a clear addiction and, despite references to it 'not being about the money', it clearly is all about the money and long term financial investment! His reference to the Comex Sub being the forerunner to the Sea-Dweller is incorrect so he knows his stuff, but perhaps not quite as well as he thinks he does. Other than that it was 18 minutes well spent!

My fav Talking Watches was the one with the ex-Special Forces dude with the Tudors. A real guy with a story behind every watch, rather than a rich bloke after investment pieces...

Master
    Listen to John Mayer’s music often, need to find a spell when I can watch these- when the hifi isn’t on!

Enjoyed that, JM seems a good guy to me, he is super enthusiastic about watches and has some beautiful pieces, good on him for recognizing some future classics.
    Be interesting to know the market value of what is sat on that table..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Listen to John Mayer’s music often, need to find a spell when I can watch these- when the hifi isn’t on!
    He did a video on the IWC Big Pilot … of course he has them all including the Luftwaffe original.

A piece unique PP... Nice item to have!

Interesting video to watch, shall slowly make my way through the rest now. Watched the Keenan somebody one last night who had a lovely blueberry.

Craftsman
    Ha, yes I did recognise that one!

I think I also preferred the first one, but this was interesting. Love that travel time aquanaut.

Enjoyed that. I agree it would be nice to see a little more variety though besides the usual two or three brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bit of a double-whammy as WF featured it in their YouTube channel at the same time...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for heads up very enjoyable. So what’s the ball park on that collection? Still hate the Rainbow however.

Craftsman
    Really enjoyed this... dude has bought very well over the last decade!

Craftsman
    He’s got one amazing collection. I’m a big fan of the rainbow!

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Mayer definitely a smug git he knows he's bought well
    Read this, all you need to know about JM (IMO):

https://www.reviewstl.com/read-john-...magazine-0211/

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Read this, all you need to know about JM (IMO):

https://www.reviewstl.com/read-john-...magazine-0211/
    Just had a quick look.

There was me thinking it may have included at least some content about his watch habit.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Just had a quick look.

There was me thinking it may have included at least some content about his watch habit.
    He favours selfwinding ones, I'm guessing.

Nice video.

Enjoyed this too. Fantastic collection.