closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bell's Palsy - Any Experiences?

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey

Bell's Palsy - Any Experiences?

Does anyone have any 'real-world' experiences or advice regarding Bell's Palsy? I woke up yesterday morning with what, after spending a day in A&E making sure it wasn't a stroke, was diagnosed as a not too bad case from what I have gleaned so far. They put me on steroids (ten pills at a time!) and told me to see the GP in a month.

What I do know is that drinking is now a very wonky exploit!

I have had it although a slightly odd case a affected my scalp more than my face. Was painful but took about two weeks to start getting better and gone in a month.

Feels quite horrible and can be triggered by lots of things

Sorry to hear you have experienced this.

I had two friends at my old work who were affected, one a mild case, the other a little more severe as it affected his eyelid which he could not close. The chap with the mild case carried on working and was fine within two weeks. The more severe case took a fortnight off work, rested, took his medication and was back 100% to normal within four weeks. Neither have had a recurrence.

Rest up, take it easy and you'll soon be back to normal.

Craftsman
    I had it when I was 18 or so... it came on after I hit a car on my motorbike. I wasn't hurt, but the next day I looked like I'd had a stroke: I couldn't close one eye and my mouth drooped on one side. I don't remember getting prescribed anything for it (but it was a long while ago) and I don't think I felt ill with it. The worst thing was the constant ribbing from my mates and the difficulty I had getting to sleep with one eye open.

I got it about 35 years ago and like you, I thought I'd had a stroke. It was quite severe at first, loud noises caused pain in the affected side and I had to tape my left eye shut to avoid scratching my left eyeball when sleeping. It was a slow recovery and I'm still probably not more than 80% recovered, my left side still droops a little when I'm tired.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Did they give you a brain scan ?

My dad had two cases of bells and eventually had a stroke about 2 years later.

When they did a brain scan turns out he had two old lesions on his brain from previous strokes that were diagnosed as bells.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Had it about 25 years ago, got prescribed antibiotics, took it easy and 4 weeks later all back to 100%, hope you have a similar if not better result.

My ex had it a for a few weeks after a dental anaesthetic. It wore of with no issues was more of a shock and she was quite worried.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using TZ-UK mobile app

Colleague at work hit with it about 5 years ago
    A month later all back to normal 100%
    No recurrence
    Good luck, quite frightening I’d imagine

Mate at work woke up one morning with it (RHS). Was eventually put down to a viral infection, pretty much 99% resolution after a few months with appropriate treatment.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    I have had it although a slightly odd case a affected my scalp more than my face. Was painful but took about two weeks to start getting better and gone in a month.

Feels quite horrible and can be triggered by lots of things
    The Facial nerve doesn't supply the scalp. Also it's a motor nerve, not a sensory one, so not painful. Just paralysis of the supplied muscles of facial expression.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Thanks all. I’d not heard of it previously but your experiences are reassuring. The NHS website talks about it taking up to 9 months to resolve - hopefully that is a worst case from the majority of experiences you guys have seen.

No they didn’t scan my noggin - they decided pretty quickly that the usual stroke symptoms weren’t there, although they didn’t 100% rule out a mini-stroke which remains a slight concern.

This place really is a remarkable information resource - invaluable.

I had it when I was a lot younger and my dad took me to a natural therapy clinic and they gave me what I can only describe as a Vaseline infused with chilli oil you had to rub it into your face a few times a day and within a few weeks it was back to normal.
    I think they said the chilli stimulated the nerves/blood vessels.