closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joker (2019) film

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Not quite- Marvel cheated. In an effort to beat Avatar they re released Endgame with additional footage. On it's original release it wasn't quite there as the biggest grossing movie.
    Can you provide a source for this please because everything I’ve read suggests that Endgame is the biggest opener. How long after the initial release was it re-released with extra footage? I wasn’t even aware they had done that at the cinemas.

Jaytip Tony is correct

Endgame was within 1% of overtaking but slowing so they pushed out ‘extras’ to get the die hard fans to make sure it surpassed which in all probability it would have anyway.

The Guardian

Still, it did the job. The Endgame re-release was a transparently commercial manoeuvre, cynically willed into existence because the original run couldn’t quite squeeze past Avatar to become the highest-grossing film of all time. Chuck in a handful of scraps – without even integrating them into the film – in the name of fan service, and bingo: Endgame just about nosed it.
    Last edited by TKH; 3rd September 2019 at 07:37.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    They alluded to anyway that Ledgers joker had a war veteran backstory , a father that slashed him . A multitude of possible reasons he became what he is which was him remembering it this way or that way . Jack Napier's story was set out to watch him fall in the acid to become Joker . All pretty developed and upfront about origin IMO . All's it took was a little 'push'

To me it's like this -
    1989 - drop him in acid
    2019- drop him in society .

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I seem to recall Ledgers Joker referred to preferring a multiple choice history/back story.

2019 drop him in society, I think you've nailed it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I seem to recall Ledgers Joker referred to preferring a multiple choice history/back story.

2019 drop him in society, I think you've nailed it there.
    Would anyone notice another Joker in British politics?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Would anyone notice another Joker in British politics?
    chuckle, to paraphrase Nicholson's Joker, 'this Democracy needs an enema'

I find it slightly ironic that we’re celebrating the return of ‘dark comic book movies’ when that’s what they all were before the marvel - fest!?. I like Joaquin Phoenix as an actor and the trailer looks promising but I feel incredibly ‘meh’ about yet another Joker movie. I’ll watch it when it gets to Netflix but can’t muster much enthusiasm for another movie about a sad/mad clown who ends up fighting a millionaire dressed up as a bat (not on this movie I know but even so....) - any new ideas in Hollywood? The effects get better, the actors are often great but the writing? - please....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's finally here, been waiting for this since I first saw this thread, dropping the little one at school, missus (who doesn't want to see it) is at work, so I've booked myself a ticket tomorrow morning before I go back to work next week...

Can't wait...

Saw it on prerelease today. Was disappointed. Won't go into more detail as if I explain why it gives too much away but it wasn't a good film IMHO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Saw it on prerelease today. Was disappointed. Won't go into more detail as if I explain why it gives too much away but it wasn't a good film IMHO
    The guardian review was very negative too. I’m not much of a film fan but have been looking forward to this for a while now and thought the trailers were good. Will be very disappointed if it’s crap!

A friend of mine is the manager of a nearby cinema, a group of us are going there Sunday morning for a private screening. I too have read the Guardian review, still very much looking forward to it though.

I’m going tonight

Got a couple of free ocean tickets from the recent chile offer with this in mind

Will post

Looks dark - I like

Well, just got back and I have to say I really enjoyed this take of the DC comic/film's, oh and it's dark, very dark...

JP plays an amazing role, unbelievably good enough to take an Oscar next year (no way he will even get nominated but he should)...

Just seen this & I thought it was awesome. Powerful, dark & sad. The end of the story we know but it's oh so contemporary.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I’m going tonight

Got a couple of free ocean tickets from the recent chile offer with this in mind

Will post

Looks dark - I like

Well I did enjoy it

It’s not going to be everybody’s cup of tea
    Surprised it was a 15 as some violence innit above passive

I haven't seen the film yet but I appreciate all your different opinions. I'm pretty sure it'll be my cup of tea!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Thanks, I haven't seen it yet, very much looking forward to it. I saw one review which compared it with Fight Club, both films highlight societal problems and 'challenge' that malaise, hope it's as good. Although from the sounds of it, Joker shares a theme with Michael Douglas' Falling Down as well.

From the comic book source material angle it sounds like the Killing Joke has had some influence.

Great film with an outstanding performance by JP. There is no levity, no respite here. It is dark with a capital D but no less for that.

Journeyman
    Went to see it yesterday. Excellent performance from Phoenix. Very dark movie and very realistic . Its a really psychological movie. Dont expect an action movie there is almost no action in it. It just tells a story. Quite disturbing at times.
    Definately a worthy watch

Apparently the Daily Mail are reporting ‘some people walked out because it’s too violent and scary’...

Jeez get a grip, bleeding snowflakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Apparently the Daily Mail are reporting ‘some people walked out because it’s too violent and scary’...

Daily Mail and 'reporting' in the same sentence, how's that work?

Master
    After reading reviews I’m understanding that 5-10 years ago this would be a masterpiece.

Now due to Political landscape some groups are suggesting this type of violence is no longer acceptable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fianoglach View Post
    Went to see it yesterday. Excellent performance from Phoenix. Very dark movie and very realistic . Its a really psychological movie. Dont expect an action movie there is almost no action in it. It just tells a story. Quite disturbing at times.
    Definately a worthy watch
    Went to watch it last night. Had been avoiding this thread in case there are any spoilers! But I must say - fully agree with the comments here.

Disturbing at times...theme of mental health issues throughout.

Not a super hero film, not an action film...like one of the comments earlier in the thread, more a character study of Joker and his battles.

I would say worth a watch although clearly not a feel-good happy movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    After reading reviews I’m understanding that 5-10 years ago this would be a masterpiece.

Now due to Political landscape some groups are suggesting this type of violence is no longer acceptable.
    We should show those groups a John Wick movie...

I don't really like the look of this movie, something seems very off about the Joker character.

I don't think it works but I will watch it anyway to see

Craftsman
    Saw Joker last night. Very dark, JP plays the role brilliantly - Oscar worthy for sure.

Saw it this morning.

Engrossing, disturbing, occasionally eye-widening, thought provoking and oh so dark. I stayed back to watch the titles roll by after the film had finished to allow time to digest it all, I'm still stunned a couple of hours on.

I won't give any spoilers however I think it's safe to say that there's more than a single interpretation of what the film is about, who the Joker really is and what really happened.

I thought it to be a proper cinema experience that asks many questions, and it's all the better for it.

"Smile, when your heart is breaking..."

Yeah these blooming "snowflakes" deciding they don't like a movie. Next they'll be saying they don't want to listen to death metal.

Blog Entries
    We should show those groups a John Wick movie...

Exactly , that along with Saw movies or hostel or any other gratuitous violent film like Rambo last blood which I saw last week- literally bathing in blood and ripping hearts out or the kills made in the Taken series . It seems as if it's ok when Tinseltown deem it fine and masquerade it as justice (equaliser 1+2, death wish etc) that's meted out it's fine , mention mental illness and it's an all out terrorist movie . Those John wick movies had close up , hyper violent deaths equally as inspired to the potential wannabe killer

Craftsman
    I thought it was great.

Does anyone know if there’ll be another chapter / follow up ?

I think I have to watch the Dark Night (again) soon, two brilliant performances.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Happened with IT in the first part where the kid was talking with the clown in the rain. Some made a sharp exit after that hahahaha

Blog Entries
    I haven't seen it (yet). I am waiting until next week: my youngest becomes 16 then and that's the age one should have to watch this film over here.

I've read some comments written by people who've seen the movie and they mention a Taxi Driver-ish atmosphere. Correct?

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Happened with IT in the first part where the kid was talking with the clown in the rain. Some made a sharp exit after that hahahaha
    I would love to sit these delicate flowers down in front of Cannibal Holocaust.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

I've read some comments written by people who've seen the movie and they mention a Taxi Driver-ish atmosphere. Correct?

Menno
    I haven't seen Taxi Driver myself however I have, since watching Joker, read some more reviews and watched a couple of YT video reviews and pretty much all of them mention Taxi Driver as a close comparator.

I’ve not seen it yet but from the blurb and reviews it has distinct social and mental health similarities to Taxi Driver.

Seems Gary Glitter is set to make a fortune from this movie!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...joker-20528595

One reason why I won't be paying anything to watch this.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I would love to sit these delicate flowers down in front of Cannibal Holocaust.
    Yea you wont be seeing that on freeview lol

Saw it. No spoilers but I have very mixed feelings...Phoenix is phenomenal that cannot be argued, as a piece of acting and inhabiting a role he is (unsurprisingly) brilliant. He should have won an Oscar for 'You Were Never Really Here' so I hope he gets the Denzel Washington-esque win for not his best work.

I love DC and it's a very good riff on the origin story for the Joker. Very good.

The film itself. Hmmm...the director has tried too hard be make a love letter to Scorcese and he's not Scorcese doing the King of Comedy, mixed with Network. He just doesn't have the talent. The cinematography, design all brilliant. The direction spoiled it.

Saw it tonight and thought it was magnificent! Visually it was stunning and the story was very well done. Portraying a fucked up society where the gap between the haves and have nots has never been wider and the effect of mental illness never more acute. Cuts to essential services etc. Very relevant.

I have to say I was expecting it to be darker and I thought it could have handled it. Phoenix was amazing and will be an Oscar candidate.

I must see it again.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 9th October 2019 at 23:51.

Was chatting to a couple of blokes at work today and was surprised that they share my ‘not another dark superhero/antihero origin borefest, ill wait for it to appear on Sky’ attitude to this movie. I like JP as an actor but I’m so over this whole genre especially when they trot out the ‘it’s dark, it’s brooding, it’s not for the kids’ mantra - yet again. I’m sure it’s great but for me, the silly 60’s Adam West Batman suits this genre perfectly. Making dark and gritty movies about grown men dressing up as superhero villains seems a little bit silly (and yes, I have seen the Dark Knight movies and the Heath Ledger performance and I’m afraid they leave me a bit cold too). Guess I’m more of a technicolour guardians of the galaxy man when it comes to comic books on the big screen

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    the silly 60’s Adam West Batman suits this genre perfectly
    Yes!

“Mr Joker, as the poet says, ‘On land you may command. At sea, it is me!’ WARK! WARK WARK!”

Blog Entries
    I just saw it yesterday , found Joaquin Phoenix very good , excellent, but more Norman Bates than a Joker, then proceeded to a sort of Falling down , angry white man with paint . Quite bleak and depressing which is what they aimed for. Made the Dark knight seem like a cbeebies pantomime. This is as nihilistic as it comes

Was chatting to a couple of blokes at work today and was surprised that they share my ‘not another dark superhero/antihero origin borefest, ill wait for it to appear on Sky’ attitude to this movie. I like JP as an actor but I’m so over this whole genre especially when they trot out the ‘it’s dark, it’s brooding, it’s not for the kids’ mantra - yet again. I’m sure it’s great but for me, the silly 60’s Adam West Batman suits this genre perfectly. Making dark and gritty movies about grown men dressing up as superhero villains seems a little bit silly (and yes, I have seen the Dark Knight movies and the Heath Ledger performance and I’m afraid they leave me a bit cold too). Guess I’m more of a technicolour guardians of the galaxy man when it comes to comic books on the big screen

Most people will gravitate towards guardians / avengers / fantastic four type movies. They are much more appealing to the masses.

Dark knight / suicide squad / joker movies are more for the people who think those movies are god awful childish early teen movies.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Most people will gravitate towards guardians / avengers / fantastic four type movies. They are much more appealing to the masses.

Dark knight / suicide squad / joker movies are more for the people who think those movies are god awful childish early teen movies.
    I’m actually a keen moviegoer, used to work on a film magazine and I watch all kinds of movies. I might be middle aged but I still enjoy a ‘childish god awful early teen movie’ every now and again - and something more challenging - I don’t think they have to be mutually exclusive. But I really struggle with the concept of a dark, adult film based around Batman - the whole idea of Gotham City and Batman (and all your other superhero fodder) is the height of childish escapism imho, and making it dark and gritty and ‘adult’ is missing the point somehow. The Dark Knight trilogy was interesting because it turned the childish concept on its head, but that seems to have created its own ‘dark and brooding’ sub-genre, and it’s not one I personally care for - but clearly plenty disagree and that’s fine. It also doesn’t make this latest movie at all ‘ground breaking’ in concept, so I’ll just wait to see it on the small screen.

Blog Entries
    Suicide Squad was no different to any marvel film or fantastical famous five film . It had other interdimensional beings, witches and a man who was able to light himself on fire. Hardly going for realism

I’m actually a keen moviegoer, used to work on a film magazine and I watch all kinds of movies. I might be middle aged but I still enjoy a ‘childish god awful early teen movie’ every now and again - and something more challenging - I don’t think they have to be mutually exclusive. But I really struggle with the concept of a dark, adult film based around Batman - the whole idea of Gotham City and Batman (and all your other superhero fodder) is the height of childish escapism imho, and making it dark and gritty and ‘adult’ is missing the point somehow. The Dark Knight trilogy was interesting because it turned the childish concept on its head, but that seems to have created its own ‘dark and brooding’ sub-genre, and it’s not one I personally care for - but clearly plenty disagree and that’s fine. It also doesn’t make this latest movie at all ‘ground breaking’ in concept, so I’ll just wait to see it on the small screen.

I think this is different in that it is barely a comic book movie. There’s no real action, nothing supernatural, no superheroes. It’s stripping everything back, even from the Christopher Nolan films, and leaving a character study. The Joker we’ve seen on screen before has very little in common with JP’s version. I can’t think of another comic book movie like this one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I think this is different in that it is barely a comic book movie. There’s no real action, nothing supernatural, no superheroes. It’s stripping everything back, even from the Christopher Nolan films, and leaving a character study. The Joker we’ve seen on screen before has very little in common with JP’s version. I can’t think of another comic book movie like this one.
    I'm inclined to think he's not even the joker , just a blueprint for one . I'm also inclined to think he imagined it all from his Arkham cell as was revealed with alot of other grandiose delusions throughout which all turned out to be hallucinations

Master
    Went to see it this evening. I thought it was excellent but very, very dark indeed

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I won't give any spoilers however I think it's safe to say that there's more than a single interpretation of what the film is about, who the Joker really is and what really happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I'm inclined to think he's not even the joker , just a blueprint for one . I'm also inclined to think he imagined it all from his Arkham cell as was revealed with alot of other grandiose delusions throughout which all turned out to be hallucinations
    I watched the film with a few friends and we all thought the same in that what we saw may not have actually happened, not in its entirety anyway.

*** Potential spoiler for those yet to see the film ***

There was a very brief scene at the start of the film, when he first met the healthcare worker I think, where he, in a kind of "flashback", headbutted a glass pane in a door - the setting for that very brief shot appeared to be the asylum where he was being held at the end of the film. It was also the same healthcare worker, all be it with different hair.

The biggest clue as to what may/may not have happened was when he was rescued by the rioters and hailed as their hero. In the previous scene he was being chased by two policemen through a train, those two policemen were then lynched with the Joker seemingly free to escape, yet (and I do hope that my memory serves me correct) the following scene sees him in the back of the police car. How did that happen? This then leads to the truck crash, the Joker being pulled out the police car and then encouraged to stand on the wreckage in front of the crowd like some kind respected figurehead. Why would they do that? No-one knew he killed the 3 suits, the act that broke the camel's back given the discontent already building up within Gotham. Maybe they were just celebrating the fact that they'd freed one of their own, he would have physically looked like one of many clowns...? From there we went straight the asylum - again, how did that happen?

My view is that he killed the 3 suits and that it was this act that sparked the bedlam that ensued, including the creation of Batman. The Joker, recognising that he kicked things off, took the delusional mindset that he was the mastermind behind it all, that he was a somebody and not the nobody that he was initially portrayed to be - this may explain the "hero" riot crowd scene. He had actually been sent to the asylum after being arrested for those first 3 killings, we just didn't see it. Maybe.

I need to watch the film again!
    Last edited by CardShark; 11th October 2019 at 00:48.

Just saw it today.

• Very dark.
    • Very good (3/4).
    • Joaquin deserves an Oscar...a nomination for sure!
    • For me, Joker is much closer to a refresh of Taxi Driver than a Batman prequel. Casting THE taxi driver (Robert DeNiro) in a role symbolic of the uncaring one percent is an obvious giveaway!
    • If you're a film lover, Joker is a must-see at the movie house.

(A personal shock was to later learn that the actress (Frances Conroy) portraying Joker's mother is six years my junior. )