closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: FENSA complaints

FENSA complaints

Does anyone have any experience of how the FENSA complaints process works and what the likely outcomes are?

I had new UPVC DG windows and doors fitted 18 months ago and there have been issues ever since around some of the windows and doors with drafts and damp ingress.

The FENSA registered installer has been back and was extremely shirty, basically accused me of aiming a jetwash at all the seals to cause the damp, reluctant to do anything because it would cost him money, and when forced to remove a seal a large area was revealed with no secret seal which he was then forced to fill (I photographed this).

Another FENSA installer has been round today and confirmed the issues are due to poor installation.

I’m about the fill in the FENSA complaint. Will they send an independent assessor round? Can the issues be repaired by a different installer at cost to the first guy. I’m reluctant to have the first guy round again given his attitude and workmanship.

As I understand it, FENSA is a self certification system whereby the installer confirms that their work meets the required standard of installation. In your case, clearly it does not, so I would suggest that you just get the process started ASAP and outline your expectations early, ie that you would prefer an independent check on the workmanship and that you would like an alternative installer to rectify the issues.

I do seem to recall that they may need to allow the original installer the opportunity to rectify his own issues in the first instance, so you would need to clearly outline your reasons for being unhappy to allow that to happen early on.

I should also have added that if you have had another FENSA chap around, ask him to confirm his recommendations in writing and make that part of your claim.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Last edited by Maysie; 4th April 2019 at 09:55. Reason: Extra info added.

Thanks for the reply.

The original installer has had a chance to repair the issue, but the problem persists. In view of his confrontational attitude I don’t want him round again.

Journeyman
    They normally refer it back to the original installer. You could ask for the RISA Inspector to be sent out, citing the poor quality of installation, the installer will have to foot the bill, if the inspector fails the installation the installer will be forced to rectify the installation and get it passed off again at their cost. He may be more approachable knowing the inspectors are on his case.
    Last edited by Itizme; 4th April 2019 at 21:15.

Local building control to me no longer accept the FENSA self cert. process.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itizme View Post
    They normally refer it back to the original installer. You could ask for the RISA Inspector to be sent out, citing the poor quality of installation, the installer will have to foot the bill, if the inspector fails the installation the installer will be forced to rectify the installation and get it passed off again at their cost. He may be more approachable knowing the inspectors are on his case.
    Sounds like this installer is a self-entitled arse!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Local building control to me no longer accept the FENSA self cert. process.
    That can't be correct, surely. They've never let Fensa pass off new build. But every domestic installation needing to go through them would be a pita

That can't be correct, surely. They've never let Fensa pass off new build. But every domestic installation needing to go through them would be a pita
    Correct - they do not, but they now insist that any installation that requires their approval is in accordance with approved doc's.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Sounds like this installer is a self-entitled arse!
    It does indeed, but if he's grumbling about the cost of his time to put the installation right, wait till he's chucking £150 a go at the inspectors every time they visit.

That’s helpful, thank you. 👍

Journeyman
    Hope that helps, if not what about your insurance backed guarantee? You should have been issued one if it was in the last 18 months. Normally only for when the company ceases trading, so a potential long shot but I'd try to claim on that if you get no joy.