closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moonwatch

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I looked at one for my first serious watch. Looked at the plastic glass & the wind up movement. I went "nah" & bought a 300m, crystal glass, automatic 2254 that I love.
    But the Moonwatch would not go away & 11 years later I bought one. I love it & wear it 6 days out of 7.
    Why's it such an iconic piece? -
    It looks amazing,
    It's easy to read,
    It goes with everything (except water),
    It looks good with any strap - bracelet / NATO / nylon / leather...
    It's a LOT of watch for the money, probably the best value serious watch at that level,
    It has the history and
    The box is HUGE!
    Same story here. I loved the look of the Speedmaster, but after much thought I bought the 2254 as my first ‘proper’ watch. It’s great.

A few years later I bought a used Speedmaster (from SC). In some ways the Seamaster is the better watch - it’s truly impressive.

However, I wear my Speedmaster most days. It is absolutely superb.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Same story here. I loved the look of the Speedmaster, but after much thought I bought the 2254 as my first ‘proper’ watch. It’s great.

A few years later I bought a used Speedmaster (from SC). In some ways the Seamaster is the better watch - it’s truly impressive.

However, I wear my Speedmaster most days. It is absolutely superb.
    Great endorsements guys. I know a lot are recommending that I buy new but I recently bought a perfect planet ocean as my first good watch, I'm wearing it everyday at the moment but I'd like to buy something in not as good condition as an everyday wearer, something that I would potentially never sell on again ....... moonwatch seems to fit the bill.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daraghmack View Post
    Great endorsements guys. I know a lot are recommending that I buy new but I recently bought a perfect planet ocean as my first good watch, I'm wearing it everyday at the moment but I'd like to buy something in not as good condition as an everyday wearer, something that I would potentially never sell on again ....... moonwatch seems to fit the bill.

I did precisely this with my Sub being my first and the Speedy being my second "good watch". I bought mine many years ago from SC for I think £1.5K it's had a service from Omega since then and runs beautifully. I wear it now far more often than the Sub.

Craftsman
    Bought one.....sold it, regretted it went and got another a year later.

Best watch I have ever owned and will not make that expensive mistake again.

Nothing more to add than as not been already said.

Talking of versatility, how far are you all happy to dress up a speedy?

On leather, what's the upper end of the level of formality you'd personally consider appropriate?

Not an entirely hypothetical question.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsondynamo View Post
    Talking of versatility, how far are you all happy to dress up a speedy?

On leather, what's the upper end of the level of formality you'd personally consider appropriate?

Not an entirely hypothetical question.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
    I wouldn’t wear one with a tux.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So everything and anything less than black tie evening wear is fair game?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    I think the whole ‘special watch for posh occasions’ was killed-off when the Royal Princes wore normal sports watches to the wedding of Harry and Megan.
    You can wear whatever watch you fancy. No-one cares.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    When did you last see a Speedy on someone else's wrist? Apart from a person at my old work who had one, I've only ever seen one in the wild, on a young gent walking along Princes Street. Oh yes there was an audience member on last week's Antiques Roadshow who had one.

I see Rolex far more often.
    This week, twice on different people.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Agree.

Journeyman
    Agreed with that also and from photos I've seen the speedie does go well with both formal and casual attire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I think the whole ‘special watch for posh occasions’ was killed-off when the Royal Princes wore normal sports watches to the wedding of Harry and Megan.
    Indeed you can but I guess the question is whether you should :)

Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    I may be the first person to go against the grain here!

The Speedmaster Professional is one of my favourite watches of all time. Stunning, timeless, iconic. Looks amazing on the bracelet, leather or just about anything else. Bombproof movement and comfortable on the wrist. I could go on.

However... For me it didn't work as a daily watch. I seemed a little cautious with the watch. I think it was a combination of the hesalite and the beautiful edges of the case. Cycling, gym, shower, risk of getting knocked etc. just put me off wearing it care free. I seemed to go back to my more 'lived in' pieces.

Works for thousands of others though. And oh, I will certainly have one again when I can justify more watches!
    The Pro is one of those rare watches that still look great ‘lived in’.
    I have one that has seen it’s fair share of action and actually sourced a new bezel to replace its worm one and planed to give it some case work, the new bezel lasted a day then I swapped it back, it lost all of its character.
    Cheers..
    Jase

These threads DO cost a lot of money as I just picked up a new speedy in duty free due to this one ha ha.

I always hankered after one of these, was always too late for any of Ryan's great offers, so just kept my eye on SC from time to time.

It was a bit strange to be honest as I was actually looking for a blue new seamaster on rubber. They only had one on bracelet but after handling the watch I was a bit disappointed with the feel of the bezel turn. I don't know if it's only Rolex that do it well but those clackity clack noises rather than the solid Rolex click put me off what is a gorgeous looking watch.

Anyway beneath the seamaster sat a moon watch. What a classy piece of kit it is. Lovely bracelet and a real quality feel to it. A deal was struck and it came back with me.

I really think this one may be a keeper. It's really comfortable, looks great and best of all purchased on the 50th anniversary of the landing.

I’m looking at getting a new watch in the next few months. Was set on a black bay as I ideally would like something with good water resistance. The speedy though keeps cropping up when I think of other options. The water resistance might be an issue but I might get past that...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchOnWrist View Post
    I’m looking at getting a new watch in the next few months. Was set on a black bay as I ideally would like something with good water resistance. The speedy though keeps cropping up when I think of other options. The water resistance might be an issue but I might get past that...

As long as you don't dive with it you should be fine - the normal Speedy Pro is 5ATM WR and I swim/shower with my 3ATM Speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagullfan View Post
    As long as you don't dive with it you should be fine - the normal Speedy Pro is 5ATM WR and I swim/shower with my 3ATM Speedy.
    I always swam wearing mine and never had an issue, many on here see 5ATM as a reason not to get it wet. I do wonder if they apply this overly cautious this attitude to other parts of their lives too?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I always swam wearing mine and never had an issue, many on here see 5ATM as a reason not to get it wet. I do wonder if they apply this overly cautious this attitude to other parts of their lives too?
    Great to hear Chris - I tend to use what is appropriate.

If I know I am going in water / steam room etc and I need a timepiece on, I wear my Seamaster or Seadweller. If I am on land I tend to wear my Zenith CP2 (nearest I have to a Speedy) or GMT. The Speedmaster being designed for timing racing cars and the like. Likewise, I do not do the gardening in my brogues or wear my gardening gloves in the board room. I call that a sensible attitude rather than cautious.

OP: The Speedy is a fine piece and I could see it being a daily wearer for most occasions apart from a 'holiday watch' - IMHO.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 7th April 2019 at 22:54.

Banned
    I think it's related to people remembering the dark old darks of a watch being labelled "water resistant" (meaning nothing really) and "waterproof 10m" etc.

Nowadays if a watch is rated to 3/5/10/20ATM and you trust the company doing the rating (and have serviced your watch/checked water resistance as needed) then you can expect it to perform to the rated depth (and probably 20% more).

In fact most 3ATM watches can probably be brought diving - the deepest I've dove was -28m but I didn't say so just in case someone wants to dive to -40m...

Here's Omega's own WR chart from a few years back - you see they group 3/5/10atm into same swimming category of water resistance:

I imagine the reason Omega don't advise you to dive with their 3/5/10atm watches is that they do not have the useful diving features of locking crown, crown guard, uni-directional bezel - nothing to do with water resistance.

Journeyman
    I owned a Sapphire Sandwich Speedy for four years, on a leather strap. It’s for sure a handsome piece, and I liked it a lot. Problem was I didn’t love it, and after a while it just got no wrist time at all, I didn’t find it practical as an office or dress watch due to its height, it wasn’t a sports watch either, and so I would have to make a conscious effort to wear it when there were other pieces that were far more suited to that day.

I enjoyed it, but I don’t miss it...perhaps one of the few people that will say that. Glad to have owned one, but I’d rather an El Primero if I ever go back to having a chronograph again.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Good to know, thanks

Craftsman
    Another sapphire sandwich here - was my first proper watch and daily wearer for over a year, went on holiday with it etc. Felt a bit underwhelmed on the bracelet but got it on some nice leather straps and it looks cracking.

The manual wind and lack of date both appeal - give it a few twists, set the time and you’re off. No faffing with screw down crowns or dates.

I haven’t tested this, and it’s harder without hacking seconds, but I don’t find it quite as accurate as my others. But now it’s not a daily wearer I don’t notice as much.

I think it's related to people remembering the dark old darks of a watch being labelled "water resistant" (meaning nothing really) and "waterproof 10m" etc.

Nowadays if a watch is rated to 3/5/10/20ATM and you trust the company doing the rating (and have serviced your watch/checked water resistance as needed) then you can expect it to perform to the rated depth (and probably 20% more).

In fact most 3ATM watches can probably be brought diving - the deepest I've dove was -28m but I didn't say so just in case someone wants to dive to -40m...

Here's Omega's own WR chart from a few years back - you see they group 3/5/10atm into same swimming category of water resistance:

I imagine the reason Omega don't advise you to dive with their 3/5/10atm watches is that they do not have the useful diving features of locking crown, crown guard, uni-directional bezel - nothing to do with water resistance.
    This thread isn't doing my lusting between a BB58 or Moonwatch any good, my biggest concern was the times (handful) that I'd been in pool with the Speedy (taking the little one lessons or on holiday) I'm a wear one watch guy for most things.

I've always read 50m to be ok for swimming, being careful not to activate the pushers. But always read horror stories online (here & Omega forums) glad to hear people wear it & they've coped.

Like to hear more if people use, abuse and swim in there one watch.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    This thread isn't doing my lusting between a BB58 or Moonwatch any good, my biggest concern was the times (handful) that I'd been in pool with the Speedy (taking the little one lessons or on holiday) I'm a wear one watch guy for most things.

I've always read 50m to be ok for swimming, being careful not to activate the pushers. But always read horror stories online (here & Omega forums) glad to hear people wear it & they've coped.

Like to hear more if people use, abuse and swim in there one watch.
    Personally I’d not swim in one. Not that I don’t think they could cope with it but it’s not for me. I’ve got a small collection and I’ll use one more suited to water.
    I’ve got a Speedie bought new in July 2017 but I’m slowly falling out of love with it. I just can’t seem to find its perfect strap! It’s ok on the OEM nato. But only ok. Not keen on the bracelet and haven’t found the right leather. So atm its next on the chopping block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    These threads DO cost a lot of money as I just picked up a new speedy in duty free due to this one ha ha.

I always hankered after one of these, was always too late for any of Ryan's great offers, so just kept my eye on SC from time to time.

It was a bit strange to be honest as I was actually looking for a blue new seamaster on rubber. They only had one on bracelet but after handling the watch I was a bit disappointed with the feel of the bezel turn. I don't know if it's only Rolex that do it well but those clackity clack noises rather than the solid Rolex click put me off what is a gorgeous looking watch.

Anyway beneath the seamaster sat a moon watch. What a classy piece of kit it is. Lovely bracelet and a real quality feel to it. A deal was struck and it came back with me.

I really think this one may be a keeper. It's really comfortable, looks great and best of all purchased on the 50th anniversary of the landing.
    Apologies for the expense! Enjoy the watch!!

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Personally I’d not swim in one. Not that I don’t think they could cope with it but it’s not for me. I’ve got a small collection and I’ll use one more suited to water.
    I’ve got a Speedie bought new in July 2017 but I’m slowly falling out of love with it. I just can’t seem to find its perfect strap! It’s ok on the OEM nato. But only ok. Not keen on the bracelet and haven’t found the right leather. So atm its next on the chopping block.

For me it has to be a curved end strap. Trying to find one now. I really don't like the gaps between the lugs and the case on normal straps. Probably why I know it will look great on a leather nato.

Apprentice
    For me it has to be a curved end strap. Trying to find one now. I really don't like the gaps between the lugs and the case on normal straps. Probably why I know it will look great on a leather nato.
    Try John Glance at Dangerous9

Agree, the best looking strap in my opinion is the curved end Omega Rally strap, pictured here by RossC

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...on-Speedmaster

Hirsch Medici is also a curved end strap in various colours.

Agree, the best looking strap in my opinion is the curved end Omega Rally strap, pictured here by RossC

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...on-Speedmaster

Hirsch Medici is also a curved end strap in various colours.
    thats lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    I haven’t tested this, and it’s harder without hacking seconds, but I don’t find it quite as accurate as my others.
    You can ‘hack’ it (in a fashion) by applying a gentle backwards pressure on the crown after setting the hour & minute time, but before pushing the crown back in - you’ll find that will stop the seconds hand completely, and when the seconds hand reading matches your chosen time reference you let go of the crown at that sync point and the seconds hand will start travelling again. This only works when the watch is in a very low state of power reserve though, so I wind just enough to get the watch running, set the time exactly (when I can be bothered, which is rarely), then give it a load more winds thereafter.

On topic, I love my Speedmaster - it’s a constantly-rewarding classic that is an exemplar of practical design. After most of a year on brown leather, I’ve put the bracelet back on and it’s given it a new lease of life.
    Last edited by Stringer; 9th April 2019 at 17:41. Reason: Spelling

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Hesalite all the way, as been said there is a warm and vintage feel to it, and who doesn’t like winding a watch as iconic as a speedy pro - My 1974.

Bloomin love this watch. It's certainly going to be my next purchase if i can find one at the right price. Hesalite crystal is fantastic in my opinion; original and best! Plus, a little Diamond paste can remove any scratches no problem!

What are peoples thoughts on NATO straps?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR_ View Post
    They're my favourite strap on a Speedmaster, although I don't have the classic Moonwatch just both #STs. I mostly use the original NATOs but I also have a nice brown leather one by Bulang and Sons that I use on my #ST2:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    They're my favourite strap on a Speedmaster, although I don't have the classic Moonwatch just both #STs. I mostly use the original NATOs but I also have a nice brown leather one by Bulang and Sons that I use on my #ST2:

That looks very cool. Great picture!

Master
    Thanks! The light just caught the watch nicely to show off the matt bezel and colour scheme.

Craftsman
    Thanks! The light just caught the watch nicely to show off the matt bezel and colour scheme.
    That looks good - do you have another pic of the strap? Have tried one or two leather nato's but they were too thick and it all felt a bit cumbersome, am very much in the market for something thinner

Master
    So what version is this? Not up on all the variations!

Master
    It's the "Ultraman" - Speedy Tuesday #2.

I haven't got any other pics I'm afraid, but it's a Bulang and Sons leather NATO in Siena Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by GregR_ View Post
    Bloomin love this watch. It's certainly going to be my next purchase if i can find one at the right price. Hesalite crystal is fantastic in my opinion; original and best! Plus, a little Diamond paste can remove any scratches no problem!

Thanks!

Same watch on a straight black NATO..

Journeyman

Give me the heads up before it comes up for the chop!!

Does anybody know where to get the curved end leather straps from that fit the head tight so there’s no lug gap? My google abilities are letting me down!

What about the NASA Velcro? My old Speedy was never the most comfortable watch on my 6 3/4” wrist unless I wore on a GGB strap.
    If you’re quick he’s taking orders this weekend http://www.gasgasbones.com/

I just fitted the cousins rubber b that I use on my GMT2c and it looked ok and fitted perfectly but somehow rubber on a speedy doesn’t seem right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Does anybody know where to get the curved end leather straps from that fit the head tight so there’s no lug gap? My google abilities are letting me down!
    Watchobsession

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    What about the NASA Velcro? My old Speedy was never the most comfortable watch on my 6 3/4” wrist unless I wore on a GGB strap.
    If you’re quick he’s taking orders this weekend http://www.gasgasbones.com/
    That’s a good shout. I did buy a GGB off SC last year it’s never been on for more than a day or so. Need to give this a better run I think.

Craftsman
    I’ve just bought one yesterday at Malta airport. Was flying back to the UK for a couple of days and saw one on display. Asked about pricing and stated that I could get it a lot cheaper at UK airports. They ended up doing me a great deal and are holding onto it for me until l return tomorrow.

This will be my second as I had to reluctantly sell my first. I always regretted selling as it was the favourite of all the watches I’ve owned so can’t wait to collect it.

Journeyman
    I took your advice guys and this arrived today, bought from Grandsire on the forum.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For e the appeal of the original moonwatch is that it looks good everywhere, you can wear it on a bracelet, leather or NATO and it just looks right, and it's simply the coolest back story of any watch ever!

You can wear it to the pub and you don't look OTT, but you can wear it to a WIS event and a patek owner will still give it a nod.

Craftsman

Just had mine sized.

Quote Originally Posted by daraghmack View Post
    I took your advice guys and this arrived today, bought from Grandsire on the forum.

Well done, Pulsations bezel adds that bit of difference and hopefully you'll grow to love the manual winding..

Just love my Speedy.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk