closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moonwatch

Journeyman

Moonwatch

The Omega Speedie Pro has a fantastic reputation and has often been mentioned as a great everyday/ grab n go watch ..... why?? What makes this watch so great? I like the styling and am looking to add one to the collection as a regular wearer however I am slightly turned off by the manual wind movement and lack of sapphire crystal........ can the believers convince me otherwise?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Get a 3573.50, it has a sapphire crystal. The manual wind you'll get used to, I sometimes forget to wind and it stops, no biggie. Its a great watch.

Craftsman
    For me, the few seconds of manual winding is a happy part of my morning routine. A brief pause before a long day and a nice way to connect with a watch with epic history.

Buzz and Neil did it, and so do I every day.

As for not having a sapphire crystal, there is a lovely warmth to the hesalite both touch and in appearance which I'd not want to be without.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Kidsteruk; 4th April 2019 at 07:12.

Journeyman
    Didn't realise that there was a model with sapphire crystal, I'll look into that. I do really like the design, it has stood the test of time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Each to their own but if I were to add a Speedy Pro to my collection it would have to have the hesalite crystal.

Blog Entries
    Or a modded FOIS. Sapphire crystal no crownguards and standard Speedy pro handset

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hesalite all the way, as been said there is a warm and vintage feel to it, and who doesn’t like winding a watch as iconic as a speedy pro - My 1974.

If you haven't lived with a hand-wound... you haven't lived.

Alternately look at the Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Caliber 9300. An automatic with date. And a movement to die for.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omeg...orite-of-2011/

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Hesalite all the way, as been said there is a warm and vintage feel to it, and who doesn’t like winding a watch as iconic as a speedy pro - My 1974.

Beautiful watch. I get your point about the hesalite crystal but I am just put off by how easy they scratch ...... I would obsess over the slightest scratch!!

Quote Originally Posted by daraghmack View Post
    can the believers convince me otherwise?
    To truly appreciate it you have to own it. You spend a minute every morning winding it. You give it time, and it gives you it back.

You spend your time polishing the Hesalite, and it rewards you with a warmth, feel and look you very rarely see on modern watches.

Because of it's flaws, you interact and engage with it more than most other watches.

It's handsome, well designed, legible and a good size too. The bracelets are great, and the new packaging is on another level.

They're easily available, not too expensive and bought well can resold for without a loss, keep it long enough and it'll may go up in value too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    To truly appreciate it you have to own it. You spend a minute every morning winding it. You give it time, and it gives you it back.

You spend your time polishing the Hesalite, and it rewards you with a warmth, feel and look you very rarely see on modern watches.

Because of it's flaws, you interact and engage with it more than most other watches.

It's handsome, well designed, legible and a good size too. The bracelets are great, and the new packaging is on another level.

They're easily available, not too expensive and bought well can resold for without a loss, keep it long enough and it'll may go up in value too.
    Maybe a stupid question but what do you use to polish the hesalite? I like your opening line by the way ........ thoroughly convincing!

The Omega Speedie Pro has a fantastic reputation and has often been mentioned as a great everyday/ grab n go watch ..... why?? What makes this watch so great? I like the styling and am looking to add one to the collection as a regular wearer however I am slightly turned off by the manual wind movement and lack of sapphire crystal........ can the believers convince me otherwise?

Unless you rub your watches against walls, the hesalite crystal is perfect. The Speedy's unique, it works with any strap you can fling at it. BUT buy one second hand, so as to avoid the instant depreciation on a new buy, unless you intend to keep it.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

What makes this watch so great?
    A woman once asked Fats Waller "What is jazz?"

His reply: "Lady, if you don't know, I can't tell you."

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe a stupid question but what do you use to polish the hesalite? I like your opening line by the way ........ thoroughly convincing!

Polywatch.

Or toothpaste if you're on a budget :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    BUT buy one second hand, so as to avoid the instant depreciation on a new buy, unless you intend to keep it.
    I’m not sure I can agree with this. The steel on steel model is around £3600 new, I think – and that’s before any discount – however, used models that are a few years old still seem to fetch well north of £3000 (or at least they are advertised at that level) which baffles me. So, a 5 year old model might be due a service and will not have a spanking new Hesalite plus the additional usual wear marks it will have picked up in that time. Unless I’m missing something, I’d be going for a new one.

But regardless of any of that, I also think they are a stunning watch and would really like one. A brief wind every morning would be a pleasure and also no date complication to think about if it has been stopped for a few days.

There is always the Speedmaster Reduced if you insist on an Automatic – it’s not exactly a Moonwatch of course, but has a similar appearance in some ways wrapped in a compact Automatic package.

...who doesn’t like winding a watch as iconic as a speedy pro
    Well, me for one. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy winding manual watches generally - just not my (now departed) Speedy Pro. I found the crown fiddly and difficult to grip.

Sorry to rain on anyone’s parade...

I completely agree about hesalite being the right crystal option, btw - and I’m manic about crystals being perfect...

Simon

Craftsman
    I may be the first person to go against the grain here!

The Speedmaster Professional is one of my favourite watches of all time. Stunning, timeless, iconic. Looks amazing on the bracelet, leather or just about anything else. Bombproof movement and comfortable on the wrist. I could go on.

However... For me it didn't work as a daily watch. I seemed a little cautious with the watch. I think it was a combination of the hesalite and the beautiful edges of the case. Cycling, gym, shower, risk of getting knocked etc. just put me off wearing it care free. I seemed to go back to my more 'lived in' pieces.

Works for thousands of others though. And oh, I will certainly have one again when I can justify more watches!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Well, me for one. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy winding manual watches generally - just not my (now departed) Speedy Pro. I found the crown fiddly and difficult to grip.

Sorry to rain on anyone’s parade...

I completely agree about hesalite being the right crystal option, btw - and I’m manic about crystals being perfect...

Simon
    A few people have mentioned its fiddly to wind but I just roll my thumb over the top of the crown and that seems to work fine, really though I find out of power autos with date more of a ball ache to set up in the morning..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I’m not sure I can agree with this. The steel on steel model is around £3600 new, I think – and that’s before any discount – however, used models that are a few years old still seem to fetch well north of £3000 (or at least they are advertised at that level) which baffles me. So, a 5 year old model might be due a service and will not have a spanking new Hesalite plus the additional usual wear marks it will have picked up in that time. Unless I’m missing something, I’d be going for a new one.

But regardless of any of that, I also think they are a stunning watch and would really like one. A brief wind every morning would be a pleasure and also no date complication to think about if it has been stopped for a few days.

There is always the Speedmaster Reduced if you insist on an Automatic – it’s not exactly a Moonwatch of course, but has a similar appearance in some ways wrapped in a compact Automatic package.
    Not sure where you are seeing 5 year old tatty Speedies selling at £3K because it isn't anywhere I frequent. A new one can be acquired with full warranty at that level so paying RRP is neither necessary or sensible. The ones commanding £3K plus are the tritium vintage models, a slightly tatty 3570 or later would likely fetch £2,000-2,400 if offered here, depending on condition and exact model (ie does it come with the suitcase).

The Reduced is a decent enough watch in its own right though the quirks of the modular movement take a while to adjust to (try setting the exact time and you'll occasionally be a minute or 2 slow) but it isn't really an alternative to the Pro, its actually rather different. There are actually auto alternatives using the exact same 42mm case as the Pro and not just the so called Grail model from the 1980s. Those, the Broad Arrow models, are my preference to the Reduced if you want the look without the archaic plastic crystal and hand wind only movement.

The crown is a major PITA on the Pro, but is much easier to use on the straight lugs where it is exposed. If you crave sapphire crystal and easy winding then a FOIS or similar may be perfect.
    Last edited by Padders; 4th April 2019 at 08:53.

Blog Entries
    I hate to do this - but will do anyway.

For me the Achilles heel on the Speedy Pro is the water resistance - or lack of. I just don’t feel comfortable wearing a watch rated at 30m in shower, steam room, swimming so it could not be a ‘daily wear’ for me. A great watch to have in the collection though.

I’ve ended up with a Zenith CP2 El Primero with its 100m wrt rating, as an alternative - as my non-date black faced white handed dial chronograph.

But do try the Speedy Pro original - I have to agree any hesalite does give a lovely warm feeling that sapphire just cannot give. (The closest I have seen is the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms with its amazing curved sapphire crystal).

Martyn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

For me the Achilles heel on the Speedy Pro is the water resistance - or lack of. I just don’t feel comfortable wearing a watch rated at 30m in shower, steam room, swimming so it could not be a ‘daily wear’ for me. A great watch to have in the collection though.

I’ve ended up with a Zenith CP2 El Primero with its 100m wrt rating, as an alternative - as my non-date black faced white handed dial chronograph.

But do try the Speedy Pro original - I have to agree any hesalite does give a lovely warm feeling that sapphire just cannot give. (The closest I have seen is the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms with its amazing curved sapphire crystal).

Martyn
    The current watch is actually 50m rated but I agree that I wouldn't get it regularly wet as the pushers are a weak spot if used under water. Unless it has screw down pushers, for the same reason I can't see your Zenith being at much less risk unless you regularly shower at, say, 60m deep ;-). I personally don't get chronos wet for this reason.

EDIT just looked at the Zenith, lovely looking watch!
    Last edited by Padders; 4th April 2019 at 09:13.

Master

Martyn
    I agree, but then I don't think I'd be happy wearing any chrono in such environments unless it had locking pushers and was designed for it. It has 50m WR though, not 30, and some models like the broad arrow are rated to 100m.

Craftsman
    A few people have mentioned its fiddly to wind but I just roll my thumb over the top of the crown and that seems to work fine, really though I find out of power autos with date more of a ball ache to set up in the morning..
    I just tend to pull it out with my teeth
    Great watches i have two both hesalite
    Just lovely old school time peices

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It would be nice if the Speedy had 10atm, and I don’t see why they couldn’t achieve that. But, like some others, I wouldn’t wear any Chrono in water. Asking for trouble.
    Nerds corner. The locking mechanism on the Daytona is not intended for waterproofing...but to keep dirt out. The double seals keep the water out.

I find time-keeping is always my biggest issue with Moonwatches due to me forgetting to wind or winding too much or not enough.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Not sure where you are seeing 5 year old tatty Speedies selling at £3K because it isn't anywhere I frequent. A new one can be acquired with full warranty at that level so paying RRP is neither necessary or sensible. The ones commanding £3K plus are the tritium vintage models, a slightly tatty 3570 or later would likely fetch £2,000-2,400 if offered here, depending on condition and exact model (ie does it come with the suitcase).

The Reduced is a decent enough watch in its own right though the quirks of the modular movement take a while to adjust to (try setting the exact time and you'll occasionally be a minute or 2 slow) but it isn't really an alternative to the Pro, its actually rather different. There are actually auto alternatives using the exact same 42mm case as the Pro and not just the so called Grail model from the 1980s. Those, the Broad Arrow models, are my preference to the Reduced if you want the look without the archaic plastic crystal and hand wind only movement.

The crown is a major PITA on the Pro, but is much easier to use on the straight lugs where it is exposed. If you crave sapphire crystal and easy winding then a FOIS or similar may be perfect.
    I didn’t suggest that they would be tatty – just that they wouldn’t be new and inevitably will have picked up some wear marks along the way and obviously closer to requiring a service.

The cheapest I could find was around £2950 on Chrono24 (I think) a couple of weeks ago when I was last looking and this was a 2015 watch (again, I think). With a 10% discount from an AD, I reckon £3/400 extra for a new one is a price worth paying.

However, I did also say ‘unless I’m missing something’, so if you can point me in the direction to find a previously loved used one in great condition at a much lower price, please do – I genuinely would like to know because I’d like to get hold of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    For me it didn't work as a daily watch. I seemed a little cautious with the watch. I think it was a combination of the hesalite and the beautiful edges of the case. Cycling, gym, shower, risk of getting knocked etc. just put me off wearing it care free. I seemed to go back to my more 'lived in' pieces.
    A Speedy Pro shouldn’t be anyone’s first or only watch. But it should be everyone’s second.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    A Speedy Pro shouldn’t be anyone’s first or only watch. But it should be everyone’s second.
    I still cannot decided between a Moonwatch Pro or Seamaster SMPC as my first Omega. Will be in collection of 3 between Paneria, BB58 and then some Omega.

50m WR is a concern, as ideally like a watch to go in the pool and be ok (if I'm wearing one watch not needing to change it for the occasion). Never had a chrono before, will I use it much?

Master
    Moonwatch, the ubiquitous chronograph, like a Submariner is to dive watches.

Nothing wrong with that, as there is a reason why they are so common, i mean, popular.

I've always liked them, the look, the history, the reasonable pricing, but everytime I try one, of various versions, it's a little meh on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post

I've always liked them, the look, the history, the reasonable pricing, but everytime I try one, of various versions, it's a little meh on the wrist.
    Probably why the design has been largely unchanged for the best part of 70 years 😉

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
    I didn’t suggest that they would be tatty – just that they wouldn’t be new and inevitably will have picked up some wear marks along the way and obviously closer to requiring a service.

The cheapest I could find was around £2950 on Chrono24 (I think) a couple of weeks ago when I was last looking and this was a 2015 watch (again, I think). With a 10% discount from an AD, I reckon £3/400 extra for a new one is a price worth paying.

However, I did also say ‘unless I’m missing something’, so if you can point me in the direction to find a previously loved used one in great condition at a much lower price, please do – I genuinely would like to know because I’d like to get hold of one.
    Chrono24 is often a waste of time with pipe dream pricing and dealers of questionable ethics. Have you tried our very own Sales corner? They crop up fairly regularly in the range I suggested, at least one a month. Failing that maybe approach Dom Hackett or Chronext etc for a new one at a decent discount with full warranty. Last time I looked more like 15% of list was achievable via the grey dealer route (still with full Omega warranty). It used to be >20% but prices have firmed in the past few months.
    Last edited by Padders; 4th April 2019 at 13:16.

I love the simplicity of it, I can wear it with anything. It's a watch I never get bored of. Truly superb.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love my moonwatch or "MAAAN ON THE MOOON" as Archie says.

It's got a classless presentation like a VW Golf which is just right.

You can wear it to the pub, while you can meet someone with a Patek or whatever and they will still give it a nod.

Plus I think it's most versatile watch I know of, in terms of smart, casual, bracelet, mesh, rubber, any colour leather etc.

Master

I looked at one for my first serious watch. Looked at the plastic glass & the wind up movement. I went "nah" & bought a 300m, crystal glass, automatic 2254 that I love.
    But the Moonwatch would not go away & 11 years later I bought one. I love it & wear it 6 days out of 7.
    Why's it such an iconic piece? -
    It looks amazing,
    It's easy to read,
    It goes with everything (except water),
    It looks good with any strap - bracelet / NATO / nylon / leather...
    It's a LOT of watch for the money, probably the best value serious watch at that level,
    It has the history and
    The box is HUGE!

Master
    Wingoo have the moonwatch new on strap from £2,849 on c24

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Martyn
    Fair enough but it doesn't have to be a daily wear.
    With your collection you don't need a daily wear.
    Get a nice G-shock, may be the full metal square and use for water related activities.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    I may be the first person to go against the grain here!

The Speedmaster Professional is one of my favourite watches of all time. Stunning, timeless, iconic. Looks amazing on the bracelet, leather or just about anything else. Bombproof movement and comfortable on the wrist. I could go on.

However... For me it didn't work as a daily watch. I seemed a little cautious with the watch. I think it was a combination of the hesalite and the beautiful edges of the case. Cycling, gym, shower, risk of getting knocked etc. just put me off wearing it care free. I seemed to go back to my more 'lived in' pieces.

Works for thousands of others though. And oh, I will certainly have one again when I can justify more watches!
    Agreed

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
    Agreed

Polywatch to the rescue on the crystal.

My watch is battered and bruised, I wear it when working on the car or DIYing etc, but I love that about it.

When last serviced I said don't touch the case. It's one of a kind :)

Master
    The first time I tried a Speedmaster in an AD i found it didn't feel 'right'. It was the classic on a bracelet and I think it was the bracelet that threw me off, I now think Speedies belong on straps.

I later bought a nineties tritium version which I liked the look of, but the dubious paperwork of the watch I bought and the lack of lume annoyed me so I sold it on. I also found that all the white on the dial and hands meant telling the time at a glance wasn't easy for me, too many straight lines and black/white contrast merged into one.

I subsequently tried a Broad Arrow which was even worse for time telling with the polished hands and I didn't care for the polished metal bezel. It didn't last long.

Then SpeedyTuesday happened and I now own both the #ST1 and #ST2. The Ultraman is my daily wearer. A splash of colour and a superb NATO has made all the difference, and I wear it more than anything else I own. I have a couple of Rolex's which I am very self conscious about wearing, but a Speedy seems to be much more under the radar. It's the RS-badged Ford to a Porsche 911.

There are so many variants that there's bound to be a Speedy out there for everyone. I find the hand winding and hesalite scratches a complete non-issue - I wind my Speedies morning and night and use Polywatch only when a scratch becomes easily visible. Job done

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Moonwatch, the ubiquitous chronograph, like a Submariner is to dive watches.

Nothing wrong with that, as there is a reason why they are so common, i mean, popular.
    When did you last see a Speedy on someone else's wrist? Apart from a person at my old work who had one, I've only ever seen one in the wild, on a young gent walking along Princes Street. Oh yes there was an audience member on last week's Antiques Roadshow who had one.

I see Rolex far more often.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    When did you last see a Speedy on someone else's wrist? Apart from a person at my old work who had one, I've only ever seen one in the wild, on a young gent walking along Princes Street. Oh yes there was an audience member on last week's Antiques Roadshow who had one.

I see Rolex far more often.
    The young chap that came to service my boiler was wearing one, got it for his 18th and had worn it every day since.

Owl1
    The post master at one of my local post offices wears one ,I commented on it once and he stared at me like i was going to rob him .

Journeyman
    The more I read about the Speedy and the more photos I see of them on straps, the higher it bobs towards the top of my wanted list. It seems to be one of those watches that sits well within any collection however large or small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Chrono24 is often a waste of time with pipe dream pricing and dealers of questionable ethics. Have you tried our very own Sales corner? They crop up fairly regularly in the range I suggested, at least one a month. Failing that maybe approach Dom Hackett or Chronext etc for a new one at a decent discount with full warranty. Last time I looked more like 15% of list was achievable via the grey dealer route (still with full Omega warranty). It used to be >20% but prices have firmed in the past few months.
    Cheers Padders. I'll look a bit more closely and spend more time at the Sales Corner.

Blog Entries
    The current watch is actually 50m rated but I agree that I wouldn't get it regularly wet as the pushers are a weak spot if used under water. Unless it has screw down pushers, for the same reason I can't see your Zenith being at much less risk unless you regularly shower at, say, 60m deep ;-). I personally don't get chronos wet for this reason.

EDIT just looked at the Zenith, lovely looking watch!

There yah go! It is a Special Ltd Edition version of the CP2 - 1 of 50 for PuristSPro

Wearing it today - so easy to read - as is the Speedy Pro

Cheers

Martyn

Master

Moonwatch

An absolute icon of a Watch.
    Unless you’re going Vintage I’d buy new from an AD, have a bit of a haggle (Tip ; Be nice, be polite, ensure you actually have the £££ to buy *TODAY*) enjoy the Champs, the huge box, Three straps and 5 year Warranty. Every mark you add is yours.

Last edited by OHG1X; 5th April 2019 at 20:32.

Banned
    This is the speedy professional I wear day to day:

I had the black face version previously (before it was stolen :( ).

I enjoy the manual winding and design - and having the fourth sub-dial with the date is important to me (bonus with the moonphase on the moonwatch).

The black face version has sapphire on both sides allowing you to see the rhodium plated cal. 1861. The white gold version like mine has the hippocampus on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The young chap that came to service my boiler was wearing one, got it for his 18th and had worn it every day since.
    Good for him, I wish I'd been gifted one on my 18th. Instead I was given a very nice, leather bound Complete works of Shakespeare. Food for the mind, I know but .... :(

That's a beauty Seagullfan!

Journeyman
    Thanks for all of your replies, plenty good for thought!!

Banned
    Good for him, I wish I'd been gifted one on my 18th. Instead I was given a very nice, leather bound Complete works of Shakespeare. Food for the mind, I know but .... :(

That's a beauty Seagullfan!
    The thief thought so too I guess!

This is the black faced version I had:

The 3576.50 comes with sapphire on both sides (along with the incorrect wording of "only" watch worn on moon) - the movement isn't super pretty but it makes for a different view compared to most valjoux 7750 and at least there's no auto-winding rotor getting in the way of the rest of the movement: