closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Motorcycle commuting question

Motorcycle commuting question

How many guys on here who have to wear full business attire for work commute by motorbike?

I've rarely needed to be in full business attire in the city and when I have I've caught the train and expensed it. All other times I would commute on motorcycle and have chinos or jeans underneath but I now have to be in full suit Mon-Thurs and my travelcard to work is not only stupidly expensive but I also miss commuting on the bike.

How do you guys do it? Do you put your suit in one of the travel bags you get when you buy the suit and throw it in the panniers, do you leave a suit at work? I think if I wore the trousers and shirt under my bike gear it would ruin my trousers pretty quickly or am I wrong?

Appreciate it's somewhat of a petty question but would be great to know how you do it and if you do it successfully.

Cheers

I always left suit at work and buy shirts that crease less than others and take a few in on a Monday.

Talking of commuting on a motorbike, 15 minutes ago i saw some poor guy on his lovely s1000rr on London wall be ridden in to by someone on a bicycle. Motorcyclist had indicators on and doing everything right but cyclist just trying to get somewhere fast. Unfortunately it’ll be the motorbike owner who pays for his damage. Be careful out there, everyone’s in a hurry!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I always left suit at work and buy shirts that crease less than others and take a few in on a Monday.

Talking of commuting on a motorbike, 15 minutes ago i saw some poor guy on his lovely s1000rr on London wall be ridden in to by someone on a bicycle. Motorcyclist had indicators on and doing everything right but cyclist just trying to get somewhere fast. Unfortunately it’ll be the motorbike owner who pays for his damage. Be careful out there, everyone’s in a hurry!
    Wonder if it was the royal Jordanian,

As for commuting I don't need suit etc but a friend that does leaves his jacket at the office and swears by a roadcrafter commuting suit for over everything else
    Last edited by bootneck; 2nd April 2019 at 09:58. Reason: Attacked by predictive text

Buy a ‘travel suit’ as they’re more robust and don’t crease. I’ve got a Hugo Boss one that’s perfect for this. Expensive but it’s lasted years.

Leave the jacket at work and wear shirt and suit trousers under your gear. I always get bike trousers a size too big as well, so your suit trousers are less compressed.

Master
    Blog Entries

Cool

I always kept a couple of suits at the office and would have one cleaned and pressed on a Friday for collection on a Monday.
    The funniest thing was when a lady colleague told me she thought I might have "issues" because there were eight pairs of shoes under my desk.

Unfortunately my company has a clear desk policy so I don't know if I'm allowed to leave a jacket on the chair. I've checked out the wardrobes where everyone leaves their coats but it's full of gym trainers etc and stinks. Wouldn't put anything in there.

I think for now I'll try leave a jacket on my desk and limit myself to two suits per week so I don't have to take too much stuff to and from and wear my trousers under.

Only issue now is in the summer what then, just boxers under the Rukka and change in the disabled toilet every morning? Either way it's got to be better than the god awful trains for £310 per month and £5.70 per day for station parking, plus we have a secure underground carpark.

I'd never heard of a travel suit but it makes complete sense. I'm going to see if Suit Supply where I currently get my suits from do this and look for reviews but either that or a cheaper suit from somewhere like Lewin or CT should be harder wearing than what I have now.

I guess now I just need to try it and make sure the alu panniers on the GSA don't ruin the side of someone's car and wipe out the cost difference paying my excess.

Master
    I commuted into the City from W.London everyday for too many years on the bike. I used to leave the jackets on my chair, and keep the shoes + trousers in the filing cabinet or bring them in the backpack. Wear the shirt as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I always get bike trousers a size too big as well, so your suit trousers are less compressed.
    I would not recommend this. Protective gear is meant to fit well (snug) so that the armour stays in place/does not move if/when you come off. Loose fitting protective gear is almost as good as not having any in the event of a crash. Between losing/breaking a kneecap vs. tearing the suit trousers, I know which I would rather do...

Textile trousers are never tight enough for the armour not to move in my experience, so I dont think a slightly bigger size to accommodate suit trousers would make any difference to safety. If you were that worried you’d always wear leathers!

Master
    I know they are expensive but Aerostich do brilliant all in ones with full length leg zips. Sizing is key but they do come up on the bay.

Side question for those who biked in - I'm assuming you didn't wear double cuff shirts with cuff links and instead just wore button cuff shirts?

No double cuffs, and a slim-ish watch!

I don't commute that much but when I ride to meetings I just get there early and change in the toilet or something. Personally I wouldn't wear a suit under gear much rather fold it up carefully. I have a "packing slip" that came with a suitcase that is good for keeping it nice when needed.

Similar to this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/BAGSMART-Ga...KECKPNENX7X06T

Motorcycle commuting question

TM Lewin’s have a “infinity active” suit that supposedly doesn’t crease that they promoted by getting Harleqiunns to play a game in and a top cyclist to wear on his bike. Might be worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 2nd April 2019 at 15:51.

Craftsman

2nd that recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I know they are expensive but Aerostich do brilliant all in ones with full length leg zips. Sizing is key but they do come up on the bay.
    Not cheap but great bits of kit and with full length zips can be put on over any clothing you want in seconds. The one-piece Roadcrafter is the fella I’d recommend.
    Last edited by hops; 2nd April 2019 at 22:19.

I don't commute but if I did I'd take my suit in a bag. These are designed for cyclists but I've never seen anything better for carrying a suit/shirt/shoes combo.......

https://henty.cc/shop/wingman-backpack/

Pricey but great quality and well thought out design.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I don't commute but if I did I'd take my suit in a bag. These are designed for cyclists but I've never seen anything better for carrying a suit/shirt/shoes combo.......

That's by far the best solution I've ever seen, and I've bookmarked it for future expenditure

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Looks nice, an updated version of the Roadcrafter, which I commuted in for 2-3 years.

The roadcrafter proved to be not waterproof in a downpour! And as someone above did also, I got a travel suit (Rohan) and left the jacket at work but after getting wet through in the nether regions and looking like I’d wet myself a couple of times I gave up and left a suit, shirt and shoes at work and got changed out of my Rukka gear.

Even in a travel suit and non crease shirt I looked slightly crumpled, ok for being in the office but not a good look for meeting customers for the first time.

I’ve also used the bike for business meetings and often just said look, I’m commuting on a bike so I’ll turn up in smart but not in a suit - much more acceptable nowadays than a few years ago

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Side question for those who biked in - I'm assuming you didn't wear double cuff shirts with cuff links and instead just wore button cuff shirts?
    Nope - good way to lose cuff links!

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post

Love that, and on the want list. My only minor reservation is having the laptop on the inside against my back. If the worst happens i’m not sure i’d want my spine landing on the laptop. I guess an internal under jacket back protector would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Love that, and on the want list. My only minor reservation is having the laptop on the inside against my back. If the worst happens i’m not sure i’d want my spine landing on the laptop. I guess an internal under jacket back protector would be needed.
    You should be riding with a back protector anyway, of course

Craftsman
    Commuted 4 hours a day by motorcycle for 2 years.

The weather changes a lot in that time. Even waterproofs stop being waterproof at some point. Weather can change a lot in 8 hours from arrival to leaving.

Dress for the ride, for the immediate conditions. Changed at work into my work clothes. Kept at least 2 changes of clothes at work at all time. Extra waterproof layer for my ride too in case I left it at work in the morning and needed it on the way home.

Oh, and buy a waterproof phone. My iPhone 6+ died in a "waterproof" pocket of a "waterproof" jacket and they didn't give a shit when i told them.

I bought my aerostich roadcrafter one piece suit in 2005. And never worn any other make or brand of riding suit since.

Worn everything from suits and shorts underneth my Stich. 30 seconds putting it on and 30 seconds taking it off. You don't even gave to take off your boots/shoes.
    Worn riding into London and down to Morocco riding through france and spain many many times.

I still have it and use it most days. Only fault i've found is when riding long distances in winter it's not warm enough.
    So i wear a Gerbing heated jacket underneth.

Until you try a roadcrafter you have no idea just how fantastic these suits are.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post

The roadcrafter proved to be not waterproof in a downpour! And as someone above did also, I got a travel suit (Rohan) and left the jacket at work but after getting wet through in the nether regions and looking like I’d wet myself a couple of times I gave up and left a suit, shirt and shoes at work and got changed out of my Rukka gear.
    Only time i've got wet in my Stich was riding through torrential rain for 6 hours through France, and the problem was water came in down the neck, not through the suit.
    If you suffered wet crotch you need to "pull up" the suit in the crotch area when sitting on the bike and not let the "fold" hold water.
    Last edited by steptoe; 3rd April 2019 at 12:40.

This is the question about the all in one suits. They do look good but how are they compared to Rukka?

I'm a GSA stereotype. Full Rukka, Daytona boots and even the Schuberth helmet.

Well that's it decided. Suit in a backpack or in a filing cabinet at work, either way I'm using the bike when my travelcard runs out.

Station yet again on restricted entry due to overcrowding! What a mess.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I bought my aerostich roadcrafter one piece suit in 2005. And never worn any other make or brand of riding suit since.

Worn everything from suits and shorts underneth my Stich. 30 seconds putting it on and 30 seconds taking it off. You don't even gave to take off your boots/shoes.
    Worn riding into London and down to Morocco riding through france and spain many many times.

I still have it and use it most days. Only fault i've found is when riding long distances in winter it's not warm enough.
    So i wear a Gerbing heated jacket underneth.

Until you try a roadcrafter you have no idea just how fantastic these suits are.

Only time i've got wet in my Stich was riding through torrential rain for 6 hours through France, and the problem was water came in down the neck, not through the suit.
    If you suffered wet crotch you need to "pull up" the suit in the crotch area when sitting on the bike and not let the "fold" hold water.
    Yes, good point, I tried to straighten it but every shuffle scrumpled it up again, didn’t happen often but I got wet when it did, and I’ve never ever got wet in Rukka. It’s the one thing owners complain about. I have a friend who rides everywhere in his and solves the problem by wearing an ex police hi viz goretex over it, but to my mind they defeats the objective.

The other problem I had with the stich was the cable for my warm and safe heated jacket, (found the Keis and Gerbing much too bulky) which I ran out of the side zip which caused drafts and water ingress - I guess to do it properly it needs a hole and grommet.

Also the armour is shit, but that can be fixed with Forcefield. Oh, and the sleeves are too narrow to go over gloves easily.

Maybe the new Klim one fixes these issues.

Craftsman
    Leave clothes at work. My Tiger makes me.

Well that's it decided. Suit in a backpack or in a filing cabinet at work, either way I'm using the bike when my travelcard runs out.

Holborn?

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    Holborn?
    Yep!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I have 5 suits and 2 pairs of shoes in the stationary cupboard at work. We also have a shower at the office so I just get up and go most days. Just put on a shirt under my leathers

Master
    My hubby commutes everyday by motorcyle and has had good and bad experience with Aerostich

First pair of commuter trousers were brilliant, worn every day for 4 years until they started to leak due to wear. Imported another pair which with duty is around £700, leaked around the crotch from day 1. Contacted Aerostich who said:

“I am sorry to hear that you had this problem, each pair of pants are different and you were very lucky on your first set. The pants are water resistant, not water proof. As these pants are lined, when we make them we have no way of sealing the seams after we attach the lining. Our suggestion is to get some
    seam grip and apply it to the seams to prevent the leaking.”

Poor customer service on a brand new pair of trousers. Aerostich material is also very stiff and not the latest version of Goretex also they havent changed their design in years and the crotch area is known for water pooling, leaking and looking like you have peed yourself, not a great look for work.

He has just bought a Rukka Saana commuter suit, not cheap but RukKa isn’t in general and he has never had an issue with any of his Rukka gear. Their zip configuration is different from aerostich and goes down the outside of the leg with flaps throwing water away from the zip.

Yep!

This might sound daft but have you tried walking to Tottenham Court Road; 7 - 8 minutes and a lot easier to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    This might sound daft but have you tried walking to Tottenham Court Road; 7 - 8 minutes and a lot easier to get into.
    Walked to Covent after taking the picture. I head out to Hertfordshire so should have really walked to King’s Cross but was being lazy. Looks like work with give me a bike space in the car park and I’m going to have a look at the Rukka Saana suit on the weekend. Will prob just use existing kit for a while though.

Craftsman

That is my idea of hell. I used to leave clothes in work for use throughout the week when I commuted on my GSXR.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Walked to Covent after taking the picture. I head out to Hertfordshire so should have really walked to King’s Cross but was being lazy. Looks like work with give me a bike space in the car park and I’m going to have a look at the Rukka Saana suit on the weekend. Will prob just use existing kit for a while though.

I gave you a link to a very good, designed for what you wanted product from a respected shop.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I can vouch for Klim gear. Their standards of quality and service are very high.

Also, if you do have a spill, they’ll replace your Klim gear for 50% RRP when you send in your wrecked garments so they can examine the damage and improve their products. I think that says a lot about the company.

Master
    Another Aerostich recommendation here.

Wore mine when I did West Oxon - EC1A regularly. Got a Rohan travel suit underneath and it was fine.

Not recommended, but when it got REALLY hot in summer I'd leave the suit at the office (my final employers were rather less anal about clear desks) and wear shorts and a t-shirt underneath. I'd get two bags of ice from the offy on the corner and fill the pockets of the Aerostich with it. It would keep me cool filtering all the way down Euston Road and by the time I'd hit the M40 it had usually evaporated. Built-in air-con.

Master

That's vile, I don't know how people do the train run in london.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk