closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tour de Flandres

Blog Entries

Tour de Flandres

Flemish TV introduces the term ‘Holy Week’ for this week. Cycling Classics leading to the Tour de Flandres next Sunday.

Last Sunday: Ghent - Wevelgem (‘Flandres Fields Race’), next Wednesday Across Flandres and then Sunday the High Mass of professional cycling: the Tour de Flandres.

Interestingly, most Classics use the same backroads through Flandres. Often not a ‘straight line course’ but one with lots of turning, corners and small, steep roads.

Most famous hills are the Chapel Mountain (Kapelberg) and the Gerardsbergen’ Wall or short ‘The Wall’. The problem with both stretches is the fact that the rows of cobblestones are obstructing the wheels of the bike like it is as if you’re cycling upstairs! Even some big-name cyclists need to walk uphill!

Try to get a glimpse next Sunday. Recommended!

Menno

Having paid my entry fee I was supposed to be riding the 139k sportive on the Saturday and watching the action Sunday but due to the van drivers family issues we have to cancel at the last minute.

I’ll be watching on Eurosport though.

Watched the 1984 version at three locations on a weekend in Bruges. The Koppenburg, where, like you say, stars can be seen going very slowly (everyone was overgeared in those 'macho' days). The late and likeable Paul Sherwen was riding, but oh so slowly!

And then in some working village I stood on a corner of the very wide pavement at a left turn, and was very grateful for the shelter of a small kiosk/phone box as I was suddenly surrounded by a terrifying torrent of riders and team cars using the pavement as a short cut. A claim to 15 seconds of fame by being killed by Peter Post at the wheel of the the Raleigh team car didn't really appeal.

And trying to find the finish we were puzzled to see 1984 TdF winner-to-be Laurent Fignon riding slowly through the back streets. It then slowly dawned to me that world class pro cyclists, unlike today's F1 stars, didn't get helicoptered out if they packed - they had to ride back to the finish and team bus or pit-head baths just like us mortals (in my case, t'firms Capri driven by SWMBO, parked outside the chicken farm at the Leeds Wednesday evening 10 - bath c/o Barratt avocado suite).

And finally beginning to understand how hard real athletes work, when I thought I had taken the last photo of Sean Kelly (2nd, as ever) alive as he was propped up, apparently dying on his bike, by helpers at the finish - I honestly thought the guy was dying, but apparently not so as he went on to be a very amusing race commentator!

Tour of Flanders is a must Menno, and thanks for posting. .
    Last edited by grey; 1st April 2019 at 23:12.

Master
    Looking forward to this too. This time of year is incredible - Milan / San-Remo, Flanders, Roubaix - excellent :-)

Master
    I never miss it - on Eurosport that is. Last weekend Gent Vevelgem was a brilliant race. Stybar and Gilbert worked themselves inside out for Viviani, but unfortunately he didn't have the legs for the sprint. It was a good example of the classic one-two, or the catapult as the Italians may say, to split up the front group and set Viviani up for the sprint. It didn't work this time but you clearly see the tactics.

Master
    I shall be watching from the Oude Kwaremont

A friend was working for a cycling mag so I tagged along for a week of Flanders/roubaix, press pass access meant we could drive on the course ahead of the race, I was sat in the team car park and witnessed Nick Nuyens ride up to the bus after winning Flanders seconds before, just him and a mechanic stood there and me taking a few pics.
    schelderpris (sp?) midweek and we were eating frites on the grass when Shane Sutton invited us on the team bus and said to us “Brad will never win the tour” ! Was stood 2ft away from Mark Cavendish and the team huddle when he won the race (again)
    I don’t think I’ll have a Flanders like that again.

Blog Entries
    Great stories!

Flemish TV + commentators are excellent as well. All men doing the comment have pro-cyclist/Flandres Tour experience as participant. The knowledge they share with the viewers is without an end. They can tell so much.

Dutch TV and Eurosport have good commentators as well, but not as good as the
    Flemish guys. In fact, even the (Dutch) Amstel Gold Race is more enjoyable with Flemish comments!

Menno

Blog Entries
    Dark horse for next Sunday: Mathieu van der Poel. World Champion cycle cross. More or less new in road cycling. Last Sunday 4th in Flandres Fields and now, this afternoon, leading in Through Flandres with less than 20kms to go

His father is former cyclist Adrie van der Poel. His grandfather is Jacques Anquetil. ‘Mr Chono’ during the Tour de France during the 60s.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    His grandfather is Jacques Anquetil. ‘Mr Chono’ during the Tour de France during the 60s.
    My heroe.

His father is former cyclist Adrie van der Poel. His grandfather is Jacques Anquetil. ‘Mr Chono’ during the Tour de France during the 60s.
    Isn't it Raymond Poulidor he's related to?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Isn't it Raymond Poulidor he's related to?
    My bad. You’re right.

My stupid mistake didn’t harm him winning this Classic today

Master
    Great stories!

Flemish TV + commentators are excellent as well. All men doing the comment have pro-cyclist/Flandres Tour experience as participant. The knowledge they share with the viewers is without an end. They can tell so much.

Dutch TV and Eurosport have good commentators as well, but not as good as the
    Flemish guys. In fact, even the (Dutch) Amstel Gold Race is more enjoyable with Flemish comments!

Menno
    Sean Kelly is often commentating on English language Eurosport, he knows those cobbled roads pretty well having won plenty of Classics in the 80's. He's also very funny without trying to be. He speaks Flemish but his pronunciation of Euorpean names in his thick Irish accent is always amusing.

Ridden the sportive on the day prior to the race a few times, on my old school eddy merckx. Then watched the race on the sunday. Super cool and a great weekend. I will be tuning in. Alos the only place where at over 6 foot i feel short..

Blog Entries
    Weather forecast shows great weather for most of the day but it's possible that a thunderstorm will hit the last hour of the race. Temp is 17 -19C and hardly any wind. All ingredients for a spectacular day!

Menno

Master
    Interesting race with an unexpected winner.

Pete

Master
    Always fascinating the way the chess works out. In the end one guy riding to win, and an entire pack of class riders basically neutralising each other.

Master
    Paris-Roubaix on Sunday 😀

Pete

Blog Entries
    Yup! And I'm not on a boat this Sunday. So all the time of the world for watching.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Paris-Roubaix on Sunday 

Pete
    Yup! And I'm not on a boat this Sunday. So all the time of the world for watching.

I'm really looking forward to watching the race tomorrow.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    My 3 names for the victory? Van Avermaet; then Kristoff and finally: Benoot.

Let's see!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    About the weather.
    Over here it is stable sunny, the way air current work in spring usually meaning that Netherlands/Belgium have wet weather. This afternoon the Saturday Superbike race in Assen was cancelled because of .... snow.

Blog Entries
    Yes we had snow as well here in the middle part of the country. Tomorrow's forecast for P-R. isn't bad. No snow or rain.