closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming discontinued

Incoming discontinued

Ok, I know that watches shouldn't ever be seen as an investment. But as somebody who's running a new startup, there's the possibility that I may need to generate some free cash at some point over the next few years, so I wanted something that would be pretty liquid in the event I needed to.

With that in mind, I have spent the past few months deciding on which watch to get that will fulfil the following criteria:

1. Something that excites me
    2. Has an in-house movement
    3. Has a pedigree
    4. Can be worn in a variety of situations
    5. Isn't "flash" or osetntatious
    6. Will at a minimum, not lose any value over the next few years
    7. Is relatively modern

I had a few brands in mind, but was quickly limited to Rolex when taking into account number 6; Patek is out of my league! I've owned a few Rolexes in the past: A 114060, 214270, and 216570, with the Explorer being my favourite of the bunch for the matt dial and general feeling it gave me.

After much deliberation, I became really interested in the Sea Dweller, namely the SD4k, or reference 116600. There were a number of reasons for this: it has a matt dial; a short production run; all the benefits of a modern Rolex, such as the ceramic bezel; the go-anywhere nature; a traditional 40mm size; and the lack of a cyclops making this not-instantly recognisable as a Rolex.

So after that long preface, I managed to source a great 2016 model in wonderful condition and complete with a number of stickers(!!). I hope that this model will eventually become more desirable as the last Sea Dweller true to the previous iterations. That isn't to say I don't like the new model - I do - but at 43mm, it's just too large for my small wrists. I'm very happy with my purchase, and although I paid more than I'd like to for this model, and certainly more than I would have had to a few years ago(!), I hope not to lose any money on it, should I need to sell it in the future.

Having had a submariner in the past, I was surprised that this actually wears smaller - probably due to the tapering lugs. There are some aspects which look slightly odd in photos, such as the end link being raised, but in reality this cannot be seen in daily wear. And as is unique with all the ceramic Rolex models, I just love how the colour of the bezel changes from having an almost blue-grey hue, through to solid black. I also love how the matt dial has a satin quality to it, with a hint of brown in certain light.

I remember when this model was released, I initially dismissed it as an expensive submariner, and that's probably why it wasn't a successful model for Rolex. I still think that thought is still valid, yet a number of small improvements (the matt dial - subjective, I know, the lack of cyclops (again, subjective), tapered lugs, raised crystal that makes the lume really pop, and a bezel with minute markers all around), really make this a wonderful and differentiate piece.

So far, very happy!

Good choice!

Very nice, I've been looking at the 16600 recently but might be worth stretching a bit as these do look lovely. How did you find the hunt, were there plenty of options?

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    Very nice, I've been looking at the 16600 recently but might be worth stretching a bit as these do look lovely. How did you find the hunt, were there plenty of options?
    There do seem to be a lot out there, but prices vary a lot. I eventually managed to secure this one through Chrono24 from Spain, although I spent a long time "buying the seller" beforehand!

Journeyman
    Nice

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice
    I love mine

Craftsman
    Congrats! Nice pics.

Craftsman
    This is one great looking watch.

Owl1
    Excellent choice I have a deepsea, which I find too large , a trade for one of these has been on my mind a while .

Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    Excellent choice I have a deepsea, which I find too large , a trade for one of these has been on my mind a while .
    I would love a JC deepsea one day, but unfortunately my wrists are far too small to pull it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    I would love a JC deepsea one day, but unfortunately my wrists are far too small to pull it off!

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    I would love a JC deepsea one day, but unfortunately, my wrists are far too small to pull it off!
    A JC for me would be an investment only and not to wear .. original deepsea's are too thick and top heavy , I have medium sized wrists (I am used to submariner size which i find the perfect size ) but an SD4K would probably do the trick .

Apprentice

Awesome looking watch. Love the lume.
    Personally I would go for the 214270 for it's understated looks but as you say you've had one before. Good choice all round.