closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New MegaQuartz arrival and a slightly different SOTC (if you hate 70s look away now).

New MegaQuartz arrival and a slightly different SOTC (if you hate 70s look away now).

Starting off here with my new arrival which for me is something pretty special. It's the Omega Megaquartz TV mirror dial, I saw one of these for sale on a Dutch watch forum a few years ago, and then later sold here on SC but in neither moment was I in the position to offer so it just stayed in my mind ever since. You see other varients fairly often but the mirror dial is pretty illusive so when I thought I'd spotted one on ebay France I jumped on it.

Actually bought this watch off ebay a few weeks ago, was purchased as a gamble hoping it would work with a new battery but sadly it was DOA and needed some far more serious investment(these things aren't cheap to service and only really Swisstec have the parts, but the 1310 movement which was Omegas first in house Quartz movement is as I understand it pretty rock solid). As I loved the thing so much I decided it was worth spending on, even if the cost would be way more than the actual value of the watch, it's a pretty rare piece and I had to bring it back to its glory and get it on a wrist(my wrist!).

Here are the best of the seller pics I had to go by(the others were super blurry)

I wasn't 100% but was pretty convinced it was the mirror dial I had wanted since seeing one several years ago. It arrived actually in better condition than I expected, but naturally not working so off to SwissTec it went and I opted for the full works with service(inc. new crown and pushers), crytsal and refurbish(very expensive all togther). Anyway it arrived back Saturday and it was worth every penny! I absolutely love this watch!

This watch is about the same age as me, I wish I had aged as gracefully.

The rest of the collection. Like alot of people here my collection has changed pretty drastically over the years, but I feel very settled with where I am now and hope never to part with any of these. It's the most content I have been and feel I have some really nice examples of many of my favourites.

Let's start with the CWCs. The two G10 fatboys, the 1980 I purchased cheaply as a non runner with a completely shot movement. I bought this as a daily wearer and fitted an ISA 1198 movement which shares the exact dimensions as the original so made an simple swap out. I wear this watch pretty much all the time for knocking about. The 1982 I was actually given by an old dear amoung a box of old cheap quartz watches from her late husband, I was shocked to discover at the bottom of the box this little gem, what a find!

The RN Diver I purchased around a year ago from the SC here on TZ, I upgraded it to a sapphire crystal and this is my watch for holidays(I like to holiday with just the one watch). I think they takes some beating for that purpose, great watch.

My two 9ct gold dress watches, the F300 I purchased with the money left to me from my Grandmothers will and I chose something fitting I could remember her by, it holds a special place with me. It was very overpolished(for the price I paid fair enough) so I had the case refurbished by SwissTec. The Smiths Astral I really like and the case was made by Shakmans of London, just as the F300. I think it looks amazing and quite modern for its age, English watchmaking at its best.

This little quirky R.A.I.M.S. Bienne watch I bought for the simple reason the fighter jet logo is exactly as I always used to draw all over my books when I was a nipper, uncanny so had to have it, actually a really nice quality watch.

Another tuning fork hummer, the SMF300. These are severely undervalued at present IMO, I think they're an absolute classic. Mine is the rarer strapper case meaning it can take any strap, I fitted it to a new 1162 bracelet though which fits like a dream.

gas station near me open right now

My only Speedmaster, the MkII which is one of my favourites and also undervalued, I love mine and decided not to refinish the case as it's in pretty good condition for its age and has never been polished(original grain is all there but difficult to see in many lights).

Yet another hummer. The Longines Ultronic Chronograph, this has been closest to a disaster buy as I paid alot for it last summer and it's been a real pain to get it repaired. It's been with a total of 3 repairers, and I had to source a replacement crystal from overseas. It should be finally back from repair within the next couple of days from electricwatches. Should be worth it as love the design and it wears wonderfully on a smaller wrist.

My favourite military, one of the Dirty Dozen and to me up there with the nicest I have seen. The Timor WWW, keeps incredible time for its age at within 5 seconds per day(probably closer to 3). I fitted it to a period correct English made pigskin strap which I treat regularly, I don't wear it too often as I feel I need to take care of both but when I do I absolutely love it.

And lastly my one and only automatic which seems crazy as I went through a period of thinking I only wanted auto's, how your mindset can change over the years hey? Every collection needs at least one Microbrand and here is mine.

And that's about it save for a couple of old cheapies knocking about somewhere(mainly an old Animal watch that I wore 24/7 for years growing up). Hope a few of you have enjoyed this slightly quirky SOTC. Have a good week all.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 10th April 2019 at 19:48.

Master
    Gorgeous and tasteful collection, sir. The restoration of the Omega is worthy of a standing salute. It's a beauty and now looks shop fresh.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    That Omega resto is awesome, looks fantastic, love it

Scottie

Master
    I love the Omega eBay resto, stunning watch, really original. I’d be delighted to have that in my collection!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s come up a real treat Lee.

Well done for taking the effort/risk to get it restored back into a great wearable classic.

Well done with the Omega its turned out brilliantly.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Full marks for going all the way with a full restoration on the Omega - it's a beauty. I did something similar a few years ago with a JLC Master Quartz.

As a matter of interest, what can you tell us about the, I think pigskin, strap on the Timor?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    That’s come up a real treat Lee.

Well done for taking the effort/risk to get it restored back into a great wearable classic.
    Yes, it's lovely to see.

Well done on the Omega, Lee, and a very nice collection too. I think many of Omega's early quartz and hummers are under appreciated at the moment.

The 'Dutch' one on SC was probably mine. That was a good one too, but unfortunately I felt it wore too big on my wrist.

That really is lovely, and reassuring to know that there are people out there able to restore these old beauties to their former glory. Beautiful.

Thanks for the comments guys, glad to see there is some appreciation for this classic piece of 70's.

@JackW, yes I believe it was! Saw it on both occasions and was hard to pass by and even tougher the wait to find another.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

As a matter of interest, what can you tell us about the, I think pigskin, strap on the Timor?
    The Pigskin I bought NOS from the great John Senior, it's open ended and was made by SONIT. Was dry as a chip when I received it but with successive leather treatments it's much better now and hopefully will last me a good few years of careful use.

Master
    The Omega Megaquartz is similar to my 1982 Seamaster , same case shape. My watch is currently at Simon Freese having a mid life refresher and spa.

Steve

Master
    Wonderful collection Lee, the Megaquartz is stunning, as is the MKII and others. A worthy transformation and I have to admit I'd be a little apprehensive wearing it now that it looks factory fresh. Hope all well with you.

Thanks. Presumably no longer available then. Drat and double drat.

Craftsman
    Funky stuff! thanks for sharing!

Well done on bringing that MQ32 back to life ! I have that very model with the mirror dial and the version with the blue dial too. Can't remember now if it came with more dials ?
    The strapper SM is stunning, the bezel seems flawless which is rather rare.

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Well done on bringing that MQ32 back to life ! I have that very model with the mirror dial and the version with the blue dial too. Can't remember now if it came with more dials ?
    The strapper SM is stunning, the bezel seems flawless which is rather rare.
    Now if I'd known you owned one I could have been bothering you to sell all this time 

There was also a bronze colour dial that came with the gold plated case. I really like the blue also but for me the mirror is the ultimate and I prefer the longer handset thanks to the flatter markers.

Yes the SMF300 is a beauty and I was thrilled to get one with a pretty much perfect bezel. These are such underappreiated classics and very undervalued at the moment.

Thanks again for all the compliments, didn't expect so many.

I'm not a big fan of the archetypal Seventies music, fashion, cars, hairstyles, etc, but I do like Seventies watches.

That Omega is gorgeous now it's been restored...

I'm going to resist looking on eBay!

M

Master
    Blog Entries
    Omega high end quartz and hummers are definitely underappreciated. I may be biased as I have a couple :)

I have however noticed prices creeping up over the last couple of years. It's getting tougher to find good ones so well done for resurrecting a rarity!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I love these watches.... had one myself and sold it a while ago precisely because i wasn’t prepared to pay the astronomical costs to repair it/service it,assuming the parts were available.
    Hopefully this will last a long time without issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    I have however noticed prices creeping up over the last couple of years. It's getting tougher to find good ones so well done for resurrecting a rarity!
    I suppose a saving grace is that very often the models come in chunky cases which afford plenty of scope for re-lapping.

Well done on bringing the Omega back to life, I think it is superb. It proves the wisdom that as long as the dial is OK pretty much anything else can be fixed with enough effort (and money).

Funnily enough I am wearing a quartz of the same vintage today, but with an ESA 9183 movement. Such movements were beautifully made in those days, and under appreciated now I think.

Master
    I wish I'd taken your advice and looked away!!! Still, if these float your boat, I salute you!

A proper enthusiasts collection that lot. Thanks
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I wish I'd taken your advice and looked away!!! Still, if these float your boat, I salute you!
    I tried to warn you It'd be boring if we all liked the same thing hey.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    A proper enthusiasts collection that lot. Thanks
    Agreed - thanks for posting, OP.

If if nothing else, you’ve made me feel less insane for contemplating a SwissTec service and restoration on my own c.1310 MegaQuartz... ;-)

Great collection, gotta love that smooth tuning fork second hand action!

Well if I wasn't already excited enough, my Ultronic just arrived back from Paul at electric watches. Bought this last May and it's never worked since. It does now, and with new crystal which was cut all the way out in Thailand it's looking great.

To say I'm happy is an understatement.

Last edited by Tetlee; 2nd April 2019 at 11:26.

Apprentice
    Great collection.

The omega restoration looks a cracking watch.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad the Ultronic is back in action too. I seem to remember mine had an issue at some point too and I had it sorted by Ludmil in Bulgaria, knowledgeable/great prices/turnaround time/interaction.

I now need to know the details of the crystal supplier. I have a cal. 352 Girard-Perregaux with a chipped crystal that needs replacing.

Wow! Just caught up with this, and they certainly did a job on the TV dial didn't they? Total transformation

Lovely collection and none of them look out of place in 2019. Good work

Blog Entries
    Cracking collection that Mr Tetlee…. We have similar tastes

What a fantastic collection. Thanks for sharing.

Master
    Nice collection you have there.

I’m a big fan of 70s watch design, and Omega did this period so well!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks guys.

@wolfie, definitely agree.

Craftsman
    Awesome collection, so much better than the standard divers & dress watches (he says while grimacing into his watch box).

Master
    Oh wow, that mirror dial! Superb pic with the Lego dude as well.

I tried some watches and toys crossover pics recently (one with Lego men "working" on an open watch) and they all turned out crap.

Banned
    Lovely collection!