closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many watches do you own and..

Craftsman

How many watches do you own and..

How many get regular wrist time?

After another recent purchase I found myself into double figures..a speedy,a couple of 7750 chronos,,a couple of 2428 auto's,a 24hr watch,a cheap holiday watch,a quartz and a Seiko kinetic beater for work and a vintage Seiko.

I hardy wear most of them for one reason or another,bar the speedy and one of the 7750s all are sub 1k.watches.maybe because since I got the speedy the cheaper purchases seem..well cheap.I feel the need to buy less but buy better from now.

So I'm in the process of downsizing to around 3 (sold a couple already) and buying a couple of recognised branded replacements,say a decent grab and go quartz and something like a omega seamaster and have a total of 5

So the plan is

Speedy
    24hr
    Auto diver
    Quartz
    Beater

Think that covers all my needs,not after a dress watch or vintage.

I also know flipping is hard to avoid as there is always another watch you covert but I really need it to be one in,one out if that happens.

So just wondering how many watches members own and how much wrist time they get?
    Is there an optimal number?

And have other members started cheap and traded up to better quality?

Sent from my Mi A1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I own a Speedmaster, a Seamaster 2254, a CWC RN Diver & a CWC G10.
    I wear the Speedy most days, the 2254 once every week or so to keep the movement ticking over (see what I did there).
    I wear the RN Diver for work if it looks like a client might be "challenging" or if I fancy wearing a NATO.
    I couldn't tell you when I last wore the G10.

Master
    Currently have 12, and probably 4 are getting wrist time. However now 5. Was taking photos for a possible sc trade and fell back in love with my Tudor. So you never know, you bought those watches for a reason!

Over 45 and nope they don’t get regular wear.
    It’s stupid really

Journeyman
    I have 30-40 if I include my Gshock and usually around 10 got wrist time

Currently I have pam 375 and JLC NSA on rotation,but I also have pam 368,345,speedy pro,rolex 16570,several gshocks and a couple Seikos in rotation

Craftsman
    I have just bought the latest Apple Watch ..the obsession with closing the fitness circle has relegated the wearing of the others to the occasions when triumphantly it happens ..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I was at about 13...I work away for 6 months of the year so I don’t get chance to wear them as much as I would like

Tudor GMT
    Vertex M100B
    Breitling Chrono Avenger
    Farer Ponting GMT
    Black Series Turtle
    Halios Seaforth DLC
    Tag F1 Chronograph
    Boldr Venture for work which I wear for 6 months of the year. Gonna move the Halios on and possibly the Tag and add a Stowa Marine and that’s me set for a while...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Just went from 6 to 5 and don’t even wear all of them regularly. I’ll be back up to 6 soon and plan to go to 7 and then see what happens. I am really going for variety and trying be be strategic with my purchases. Also I have a plan to buy something nice every 3-5 years but my wife may have something to say as the collection grows and if I feel it’s getting too big some thinking will be needed!

1. Omega AT 41 golf for weekends and date nights - smart watch
    2. Tudor BB 58 - daily watch and diver
    3. Longines conquest sport ceramic - beater watch
    4. Zenith el primero 38mm silver dial to come - chronograph
    5. Tommy hilfiguer quartz my wife bought me when we had only just met - never worn these days
    6. Seiko my dad let me chose when I was 16 from his collection - never worn these days
    7. BLNR at some stage - GMT and because I like it a lot!

Stu
    Last edited by Stuno1; 31st March 2019 at 21:38.

Master
    I own about 12 and wear 3. Two of the three I wear are valuable, the combined value of the 9 or so I don't is probably less than 300 and most of that is in the Seiko Turtle. Still constantly looking for the next watch. Fortunately I have reasonable self control and only buy 1 to 3 a year and try to sell if it's not getting worn but is valuable, hence the IWC in the SC which I've already cut to 500 less than I paid a couple of months ago. No one seems interested but that could be because I can't work out how to edit the title

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Own 6 but wear 4. Usually swap one out every 1 or 2 weeks

Rolex BLNR
    Rolex Sky-Dweller
    Patek 5167A
    AP 15300OR

I had recently had about 12 or so but, like you, realised I wasn't wearing half of them. The main reason was that most were similar styles and all on bracelet. As such, over the last few months I've been downsizing and trying to create a varied smaller collection.
    Collection now stands at:

Rolex Airking 116900
    Tudor Black Bay S&G
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Grand Seiko SBGN001 (incoming)
    Grand Seiko SBGX265
    Panerai Luminor Marina PAM00776 (incoming)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Somewhere between 75-80, with the odd G-Shocks etc. on top.

I keep about 10-11 out at anyone time, and try to wear most of them over the year on rotation, apart from the ones which are just bought to collect - which is probably around 20-25 of them.

Although in reality I wear some a lot more than others:

Rolex WG Daytona
    Date Just II (Blue)
    Sea-Dweller 16600
    Submariner 16610LV
    Patek 5711 (Blue)
    Omega Seamaster 300 Steel/Sedna
    Seamaster Diver SMPc 300m
    Seamaster 60th Anniversary
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Tudor Black Bay Black ETA
    Black Bay Bronze (Bucherer)
    Glashutte PanoInverse
    It's just a matter of time...

I have about 12 with some really nice classics amongst them, 1996 14060 Sub, 74 Speedmaster step dial, 2254 Seamaster, SBDX001 MM300, Sinn EZM2, Fortis, Omega Geneve, plus some lovely 80's quartz Tag/Heuer/Tissot.

Currently the 14060 is getting the main wrist time while I wear a few other cheaper watches for knocking around in, the main reason I'm not wearing more variety is that I bought a safe, they are locked away and not on show so I just leave them, in the past they were all in my bedroom waiting for me to choose one to wear.. feels satisfying though they are all locked up.

21 just now

Blog Entries

Spring 2019 SOTC

Down to these 8 - at the moment.

I am reasonably happy with the collection now. All but one (the Rolex Air-king-date) get worn regularly in rotation:

1. Patek Annual Calendar 5146J (I had a free full service owed on this, so is gone for at least 3 months)
    2. Patek Aquanaut 5167A-001
    3. Bremont Supermarine Endurance GMT - orange nato
    4. Omega Seamaster 300m (2018 Edition) TT on rubber
    5. Zenith CP2 Chronmetro Special Ltd Edn to 1 of 50 produced for PuristSpro
    6. Rolex GMT 126711CHNR 'RootBeer'
    7. Rolex Sea-dweller 126600 50th Anniversary
    8. Rolex Air-King-Date - blue sun-burst dial (vintage 1978)

If a watch doesn't get worn - it doesn't stay (with a couple of exceptions due to personal reasons).

It took me a long time (maybe 15-20 years) to get to this position and have now reached a steady state. I am looking to add the 806 Navitimer re-issue from Breitling when they come out.

Yes - I KNOW the box is jammed - but it's the one the wife gave me so can hardly throw it away.

Cheers

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 31st March 2019 at 22:28.

Master
    Tudor Pelagos (ETA movement) bought from SC a couple of months ago and a Citizen Nighthawk bought from Creation watches just a couple of weeks ago. An auto and a quartz suit my needs. I also have 3 G-Shocks but they don’t count.

I’ve got six but only wear two.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Yes - I KNOW the box is jammed - but it's the one the wife gave me so can hardly throw it away.

Cheers

Martyn
    Those crowns rubbing the case sides of other watches is making my foot itch... please get a bigger box!

Banned
    Looking at my rather large watch case I've got a wide collection of (mostly divers) - Sea-gull, Omega Seamaster/Speedmaster, Tudor, Beijing, Vostok - I'd say I have around 10-15 watches and around 3-4 that get worn on the wrist regularly.

The favourite is probably my Speedmaster 3575.20 (broadarrow moonphase with white gold bezel).

Journeyman
    3 - a cheap Casio for days in the garden/diy, a Garmin for days when I’m running and cycling and an Omega 2254 for all other occasions. I’m in the minority on this thread so far as I want to add some more to add some greater variety for the non-garden/sporting days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere in triple figures but I only wear the ones with blued screws.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Currently on 16:

3 x Breitling
    2 x Doxa
    2 x Bulova
    1 x Omega
    1 x Rolex
    1 x Offshore Professional
    1 x Divex
    1 x Seiko
    1 x Lum-Tec
    1 x Steinhart
    1 x Maranez
    1 x Revolo

I wear them all regularly with two exceptions (one of the Bulovas and the Revolo), both of which I intend to sell when I can get round to it...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mycroft; 19th April 2020 at 00:22.

Master
    I have three; a turtle, Muhle GMT and a Farer Hecla. I wear all of them. Maybe I should buy a couple more!

Five; all five.

Craftsman
    Four and wear them all :

Sub 14060
    GMT 16700
    Daytona 116520
    Speedie Reduced

At some point in the future the Speedie will be sold put it towards a VC 4500 Blue

Don't plan on ever owning more than four
    Last edited by mhurley; 1st April 2019 at 08:07.

Collection at 32 at the moment.
    6-7 get regular wear with an additional 5-6 worn less frequent. 5 or 6 that would need some servicing and the rest more or less ornamental at this point.

Master
    8 was my limit but I have just exceeded it, so now 9. My Sinn is definitely SC bound when I get around to it as not being worn. I wear all the others although may get rid of another to stick to a one in one out policy.

Master
    9 with 4 in regular rotation being..
    Breitling SOH2 - smart and special occasions.
    Apple Watch - Gym and days when the heart feels a bit tricky.
    Smith Everest - most other times.
    Seiko OM - Only just in the rotation but worn when I fancy a change or splash of colour.

The other 5 are fashion and homage watches that I bought before I knew better.
    I still wear them occasionally when the fancy / occasion takes me but they get a day or 2 a year wrist time. I wouldn't sell them though as I'd not realize enough to offset the emotional attachment I have to them, most were gifts or represent milestones along my watch appreciating journey.

Master
    Own 8 but only wear 5 of them and those are just weekend wear as i work on machine tools and don't want to damage them or have an accident.

Master
    Am at 12 at the moment which is too many for me. Hence the JLC for sale and my blue lagoon and ninja turtlle need to go.
    Then I have a planned small adjustment of my more expensive watches.
    Aim I think is to get back into single digits with an eventual end game of 5-6, though I know a final 2 if I had to get down to that many.

Craftsman
    8 in total, of which I probably wear 5 on a regular basis.

I’m determined (yeah...) not to increase this number.

Craftsman
    Got 6 and normally wear 3:

16710 Pepsi gets most wear

AT Annual Calendar is then the next, stunning blue and other than being slightly thicker than I’d like is nearly perfect

Smiths 36mm Everest to scratch the explorer itch and wear on days I run home as leave it in the office

Speedy pro gets a rare outing but was my first watch

Navitimer, great but a pain to set the date so almost never

Vintage gold omega for a bit of difference.

Periodically ponder about ditching the last three, but they’ve all had some decent wrist time in the past and think I’d regret it.

On the horizon I’m looking more and more into a GS quartz - I think the easier to grab and go the more likely I am to wear things, but then could just be more organised!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I have 8 in my collection that get regular rotation (at least once in 10 days I'd say).. and a handful of Swatches and Casios that dont

Black Bay 58
    Speedy 145.022 1985
    1958 Seamaster
    Lip Ninja
    Hamilton Chrono-matic
    Casio Worldtime (gold)

Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post

And have other members started cheap and traded up to better quality?

TZ-UK mobile app

I did exactly this. My first was a TAG F1, really wanted a Monaco but couldn't afford it, but it's where I contracted this disease.

After that, due to budget constraints I scoured ebay and bought whatever I liked the look of that was cheap, some franken Seiko, some Alphas etc. but gradually I clawed my way up the quality ladder with a Steinhart Aviation and an Orient and then I got a bonus that I was miraculously able to spend on myself and was able to buy my Omega. I still wanted the Monaco but was a newbie and was swayed by the in-house argument at the time.

After this I started to sell off the cheap stuff and concentrate on better quality pieces. I'm at seven now, TAG, Omega, Rolex, Tudor, Seiko, Bell & Ross and an Apple watch. I'm thinking about selling the Rolex but will use the proceeds to finally get a Monaco as well as another (cheaper) Rolex and something else.

I think there's room for watches at all levels though in any collection and I've always worn all my watches in rotation, though the length of wrist time has varied for those in favour!
    Last edited by thefatboy; 1st April 2019 at 11:05.

I have 31 I think and wear about 5 or 6 regularly. It's a mad, MAD hobby.

3 Rolex and I do wear them all pretty much in rotation, I just like them all, and change which one I love most at that precise moment depending on mood and which way the sun catches the dials.

1 Zenith which I never wear as it has never been worn and to do so would be... less insane than I am.

I Vostok which I do wear on occasion, I love the thing as a complete counterpoint to the others.

2 Breitlings which get worn... never.

1 beautiful old Seiko Chrono, absolutely as new (even though it's about 25 years old) and I never wear it. I have, but...

A huge Tauchmeister diver does get worn, I like it, it's silly :)

Then there is a drawer of the watch box full of dress watches. Tudor, Longines, Blancpain, MuDu, Sully, Timex and many others. I NEVER wear any of them. Why did I buy them? That is a question I ask myself frequently and, so far, I have not compiled an answer.

Then there's the separate box which has about ten watches, watches I hate, loathe and despise because they were cheap, or ugly, or badly made (or all three) and they not only never get worn, they never even get looked at!

Finally, my ancient Citizen Eco-Drive Chrono. Absolutely battered to death, looks like it has survived a war zone (just) and even though it is 20 years old, it still gets worn for all those times when 'getting scruffy' is necessary.

85 at the last count. Most are worn in some form of rotation, though the pocket watches, (8), less so than the wrist watches.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I have about 25 at the moment, with about 10 of those being middlingly expensive watches. I am forcing myself to rotate to try to make a decision to get rid of certain watches. I'd really like to cut down to about 5, 10 at most.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    85 at the last count. Most are worn in some form of rotation, though the pocket watches, (8), less so than the wrist watches.

That would make a wonderful SOTC shot if you have time

Martyn

Bang on 20 now. 6 in a winder which get rotated every 3 months or so. I tend to wear a different one everyday so they all get wrist time

Craftsman
    I own 8

7 get wrist time, but based on my mood, not some formula to ensure they all get equal time on wrist. One might get a week, then i might wear 3 the next week, and so on..
    One is in a box waiting until it can go up on SC.

Now down to 10 from 13. Manage to wear them all at some point over a typical month. The ten are:-

BLNR
    Zenith El Primero
    Speedmaster
    Reverso
    SMPc
    Monaco
    Blumo
    Oris Pointer date
    Vostok Amphibia
    Tag Heuer SEL chrono (mid 90's - quartz)

Covers all bases for me.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

A couple of dozen, half have sentimental presence the rest are worn, six are really regular.
    I only wear beaters.

BUBI 0_0

Craftsman
    39 + 2 on order - I wear 15 of them (I work from home, so am sometimes changing my watch a few times a day :-) )

I imagine this is what going to confession would be like!

Rolex 116719BLRO
    Rolex 116610LV
    Rolex 126660 JC
    Parmigiani Tonda Metrograph (maybe selling)
    Grand Seiko sbgh257
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Tribute No Radiations
    Heuer Super Professional
    Heuer Night Diver
    G-Shocks x 3
    Seikos x 3
    Various others

I’ve never had more than 5 or 6 at once but I’m down to two now, an Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 for work and a Casio G-SHOCK GW-M5610-1ER for the weekend.

I’d like to add a Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN again, and I think with the Speedmaster on leather and the Submariner on bracelet I will have everything I need.

Apprentice
    My collection is currently

1. Tudor BB58 - New and getting all my none work wear
    2. Rolex Milgauss Z blue - Rare worn
    3. Seiko SARX057 - Got a lot of wrist time before the BB58
    4. Tissot Visodate - Occasional dress watch
    5. Seiko SNK805 - worn for work most days
    6. Orient Mako - Not worn for a long time
    7. Seiko Quartz - Battery dead, not likely to be replaced
    8. Tisell Type A pilots 40mm - Intermittent wear
    9. Hamtun Neon - Very little wear, too big for me

I was just checking today, and kept remembering other watches I had. I'm at 19. Here's a graph of the purchase price of them proportionally. But as Dave says, G-Shocks don't count. As for wearing them, I tend to through phases. Sometimes I'll go from G-Shock to G-Shock. Then it'll be divers, then the Speedy. At the moment my three new Citizens are being rotated, excluding all else.

A dozen or so. I wear them all, 6 of them in regular rotation of 2 or 3 weeks at a time, the rest for a day or two in amongst the rotation as the fancy and nostalgia take me.
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice
    Just one watch for me at the moment, worn every day

But I do want more

I bought my first Hamilton watch in January and I've pledged for a Hamtun H2 on Kickstarter, but won't get that for months yet.

Master

These days, a restrained two mechanical watches; a DayDate 40 and a Zenith CP2...which seems to be the one i wear most.
    Quartz doesn’t count under my rules, but I have a quartz GS and a Citizen Eco-drive.

And that’s the lot. No more.....
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd April 2019 at 11:03.