closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fine-tuning a Grand Seiko 9f

Fine-tuning a Grand Seiko 9f

There doesn't appear to be a huge amount of information online about the procedure for adjusting the Grand Seiko 9f movement. Given some recent comments regarding the 9f on the BST Challenge thread, I thought I would share my experience.

Seiko says:

Regulation switching for precision control in a quartz movement
    While mechanical watches possess a mechanism for fine tuning precision, these controls are impossible in most quartz watches.The 9F quartz movement, however, features a regulation switch that makes such precision control possible. If, because of environmental conditions or other factors, a watch ever becomes too fast or slow, the switch can be used to correct for such divergences. Owners who come to intimately know the individual tendencies of their watch over the years can quickly adjust the accuracy and continue to use it for years to come. Given the superb inherent accuracy of the 9F quartz movement, however, most will never need to know this adjustment function even exists. This is true to the high standards of Grand Seiko.

What it doesn't say, however, is how adjustment works so I thought I'd mention my own experiences on my own watch in case it is useful. Obviously, this is only intended as a set of observations for people who already understand what they're doing, the attendant risks etc...

Ultimately, it's really easy: you just turn the regulation switch clockwise to increase the rate and vice versa, exactly as it says on the tin. But here is some additional information that you'll need to know, which I found across multiple sources and have verified through my own adjustment:

1. Each graduation represents a 6 second per year adjustment (some sources say 8 spy, some say 6spy; most recently, Joe Kirk of Grand Seiko Seiko US confirmed 6spy in an interview - that figure accords with my findings regulating my own watch).

2. Adjustment must be to a full graduation. This is important info. There are very minor detents in the regulation switch travel. It seems that if the switch isn't left in a position aligning directly with one of the markers, then a correct regulation signal will not be passed to the movement and all bets are off. Take time to get the switch absolutely aligned; which leads to

3. Have a plan as to how you will operate the regulation switch. The switch is a plus shape as you can see above, and it is very small. To get the level of control required for (2) above, you will need some sort of coupling so as to apply pressure on both sides of the central pivot. I found that an odd size spring bar tool worked perfectly - one half way between the two widths of a Bergeon 6767.

Given the above, it seems that accuracy to within +/-3spy should be achievable for any 9f, this figure improving (potentially to 0spy) the closer your unadjusted variation is to a multiple of 6.

Hopefully this is of some use. I would be very keen to hear of other peoples' experiences in fine-tuning their GS quartz.
    Last edited by JGJG; 31st March 2019 at 12:04.

As an aside, it would appear that every 9f is supplied to the customer with the regulation adjustment switch in the centre position.

This would mean that the base accuracy (+/-10spy for the regular 9f, +/-5spy for the specials) is achieved through the matching of the quartz crystal and IC.

My understanding (but I would certainly appreciate any data to confirm or otherwise) is that the regulator switch will offer 6spy increments of adjustment for both the regular 9f and the specials.

This means that the special 9f would not enjoy any inherent advantage over the regular 9f, post-regulation. The ultimate post-regulation accuracy of either would merely depend on how close either unadjusted movement's variation was to a multiple of 6. i.e. a regular 9f operating unadjusted at +6spy could be regulated to 0spy, but a special operating unadjusted at +3spy could not be adjusted to a greater accuracy than +/-3spy.

Splitting hairs at this point, certainly. But then, that's part of the attraction of HAQ :)

Master
    If the ‘standard’ model could be reliably adjusted to better than 10 seconds (a year!), then why wouldn’t GS do that ? And why go to the trouble of selecting better samples of quartz for the 5 seconds models if you could just tweak them anyway.
    I’m only guessing, but I suspect that adjustment is provided so that technicians can get the movement into the guaranteed range. Then the wheel is centred. GS certainly don’t intend for owners to break the seals and fiddle around. It would void the guarantee. So that can’t have been why the adjustment is there.
    Anyway, they are usually more precise than the quoted range, so it’s pretty academic.
    If you want better, the new Citizen 0100 will be plus or minus one second a year. That might be ‘adequate’.
    Last edited by paskinner; 31st March 2019 at 12:16.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    If the ‘standard’ model could be reliably adjusted to better than 10 seconds (a year!), then why wouldn’t GS do that ?
    I don’t know why, but any implication that it can’t is answered by the quoted text from the manufacturer, above (and linked).

And why go to the trouble of selecting better samples of quartz for the 5 seconds models if you could just tweak them anyway.
    I’m not sure whether it would be “better” samples of quartz, or merely closer matching to the IC. Nor do I know why... product differentiation?

I’m only guessing, but I suspect that adjustment is provided so that technicians can get the movement into the guaranteed range. Then the wheel is centred.
    If they did this, it would restrict the adjustment movement in one direction. This does not appear to be the case.

Anyway, they are usually more precise than the quoted range, so it’s pretty academic.
    But - speaking for myself - it’s fun to understand how they work, and to optimise them where possible.

If you want better, the new Citizen 0100 will be plus or minus one second a year. That might be ‘adequate’.
    I’m hoping my SBGX now beats that beats that spec 😜

It could also be the case, of course, that the specials have regulation in, say, 3spy intervals - as I mentioned above I’d appreciate any data on this.

Master
    The easiest way to approach this is to ask Seiko to adjust it for you when doing a battery change. I did this as mine was within spec but running minus rather than plus, which for some reason bugs me. I guess on a practical level plus is better as you can easily get it back to bang on just by pulling out the crown for a few seconds. I asked them to regulate it so it would run plus rather than minus, if there was to be any error at all. Since being adjusted, it seems to be running at around +2 seconds per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The easiest way to approach this is to ask Seiko to adjust it for you when doing a battery change. I did this as mine was within spec but running minus rather than plus, which for some reason bugs me. I guess on a practical level plus is better as you can easily get it back to bang on just by pulling out the crown for a few seconds. I asked them to regulate it so it would run plus rather than minus, if there was to be any error at all. Since being adjusted, it seems to be running at around +2 seconds per year.
    Sounds like a great result 👍

Are the 8 holes to the left of the regulator electrical contacts? Always wondered if that's some kind of programming interface...

Master
    Thanks for this. Had no idea these were regulatable. So you rotate a spring bar removal tool while tool's gap is wedged in the centre of the cross?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I probably wouldn't attempt this without the correct tool.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Thanks for this. Had no idea these were regulatable. So you rotate a spring bar removal tool while tool's gap is wedged in the centre of the cross?

Pretty much. It’s not difficult as doesn’t require much effort, it’s just that trying to use, say, a pin, on one side won’t offer the level of control that you’ll need to get direct alignment with a marker (and if you miss a marker, the movement will lose its regulation, so for example moving 1/2 a position negative could make it gain 5spy)

Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel View Post
    I probably wouldn't attempt this without the correct tool.
    It’s just turning a very small switch with a degree of control and finess; but yes, I’d want to be wholly comfortable in my abilities and tools ahead of time :)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Are the 8 holes to the left of the regulator electrical contacts? Always wondered if that's some kind of programming interface...
    No idea - and a fascinating idea :)

Useful thread, thanks. I love the ethos behind Seiko's development of the 9F, that commitment to the user experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    No idea - and a fascinating idea :)
    I was right!! Its for programming the IC chip I think... I wonder does Seiko have software that adjusts the timing via this interface? This would explain why all watches ship with the adjuster at the "zero" position. The factory probably hooks up the watch, adjusts electronically... and off it goes.

You can see below what exactly happens when you turn that manual adjuster. Looks like there's just the 3 circuits to be made. Zero + and -. Does the adjuster spring back to centre? ie. do you give the chip a + signal and then it rests at dead centre?

Credit: https://deployant.com/opinion-grand-...ed-collection/

The in-house grown quartz crystal on the left, paired to a temperature sensitive integrated circuit in the middle. This results in a guaranteed accuracy of +/-10 seconds per year. Picture credit: Joe Kirk. Note that the photograph is made on a sample movement, solely used for demonstration. The photographs are used with permission and taken from Joe’s Instagram account @josep.kirk.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 31st March 2019 at 13:54.

Master
    What length of time measurement would you need to be confident of making the right adjustment? One month?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I was right!! Its for programming the IC chip I think... I wonder does Seiko have software that adjusts the timing via this interface? This would explain why all watches ship with the adjuster at the "zero" position. The factory probably hooks up the watch, adjusts electronically... and off it goes.

You can see below what exactly happens when you turn that manual adjuster. Looks like there's just the 3 circuits to be made. Zero + and -. Does the adjuster spring back to centre? ie. do you give the chip a + signal and then it rests at dead centre?
    Excellent! Well found, that’s fascinating and I agree that fully explains how they dial in the spec (which was Peter’s query) and yet the regulation adjustment ships neutral.

The adjuster itself doesn’t return to centre - you turn it till it aligns with one of the marks and it stays there.

Many thanks for finding and posting this info 👍

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    What length of time measurement would you need to be confident of making the right adjustment? One month?

Personally speaking, I’d want to measure weekly over 3-6 months to make sure I understood my own measurement errors....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The assumption here appears to be that the 9F is entirely stable and merely needs regulation so that its entirely stable behaviour agrees with the reference time. I'm not at all sure that this is the case.

I would imagine that the more precise movements are using selected quartz that is more stable and thus able to take full advantage of any regulation.

Banned
    I wonder does the "only turn to full notches" apply to all capacity trimmers - I've a Citizen movement with a capacity trimmer but never tried adjusting it - I think I've never had the watch on my wrist for more than a month and it was still in tune with atomic time after a month...

Master
    hmmmm, I deal with a hardware unit that has internal RTC. In order to stop clock drift we follow this procedure
    1) Make processor emit a '1hz' signal on a pin
    2) feed this signal into an accurate timer to determine the actual rate of the '1hz' signal this may be 0.999967hz or 1.000014hz for example.
    3) use this information to calculate a trim value that the processor can use to correct the signal to a 'true' 1hz.

I would suspect that the interface allows a similar process and the manual adjuster is there to, well I'm not actually sure, if you send it back to seiko for servicing it'd be trivial to run it through the calibration sequence again. Maybe it's just to allow 3rd party service centers the ability to 'have a bash'.

Either way I'd still love a GS at some point.

Master
    Here's another pic of the 9F.. copyright free!

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Fabulous image, thanks. (I was mildly amused when google suggested 'antique' as a related search term.)

Master

Fine-tuning a Grand Seiko 9f

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post

And that is why GS introduced a display back on one recent model.......

But that’s only the second time they’ve had a display back. People probably think that a quartz module isn’t exactly visually interesting.
    But the 9F is good to look at (well, I think so!)
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st April 2019 at 18:18.

Master
    Yup to spend all that time to finish the movement just to hide it.. Glad you can enjoy seeing yours anytime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    The assumption here appears to be that the 9F is entirely stable and merely needs regulation so that its entirely stable behaviour agrees with the reference time. I'm not at all sure that this is the case.

I would imagine that the more precise movements are using selected quartz that is more stable and thus able to take full advantage of any regulation.
    +1. The higher precision movements are picked for that quality. Better inherent accuracy regardless of temperature compensation modules.

Breitling SQ have a firmware adjustment possible for their HEQ movements.

Now. I wonder what the new Casio movement looks like - running at +-1s/y from the get-go?

martyn.

Found out a bit more here: https://www.grand-seiko.com/nz-en/sp...tories/vol7/2/

What is a regulation switch?

There are several ways to adjust the precision rate of a mechanical watch and the most reliable is the regulator, which makes fine adjustments to the balance spring’s range of motion. The Grand Seiko team recognized its value. Calibre 9F also has a regulation switch with plus to minus graduations marked on it. This mechanism adjusts precision by switching the circuit to make corrections after a designated span of time. Let’s remember that Calibre 9F is, in all but the most extreme conditions, precise to ±10 seconds per year. The regulation switch allows adjustments within this range. If a comparison were to be made, you could say that it is somewhat like the designation of a leap year to adjust the calendar. One gradation in the regulation switch is equal to 0.0165 seconds in a day, or 0.5 seconds a month. Since the movement has a precision that is 100 times greater than that of a highly accurate mechanical movement, the sensitivity of this regulation device is beyond remarkable.