closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does TZUK have a future?

Master

Does TZUK have a future?

Hopefully not, but there has been a remarkable decrease in numbers viewing this forum. From the highest number of members and guests online of just over 7000 in late 2016, I noted that there were just over 420 in total viewing early Saturday evening (18.50). Love this place and would be gutted if it slipped further but wondering if anyone had opinions on as to why.

My only observation is the highest viewing figure you quoted was for 6pm on a New Years Eve, perhaps that was an unusually high figure due to the date?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

That 7000 seems unlikely - half of current members and there's only ~4,500 active members now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    My only observation is the highest viewing figure you quoted was for 6pm on a New Years Eve, perhaps that was an unusually high figure due to the date?

R
    Was 31st January.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Think you need to check the date again, I made the same mistake. I still haven't got over the shame after it was pointed out to me

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Was 31st January.
    My apologies!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Yes it has, I like it here, a great bunch of people with similar interests, I would happily pay a subscription if requested

Does TZ have a future?
    Hopefully not.
    wait.....what?

Master
    I certainly hope so, it has been an interesting, expensive, and occasionally informative part of my life for many years now!

Master
    Spoof thread?
    Hacked account?
    Bell-end struggling for something of value to post?

Maybe none of the above. Probably number three though.

Take care all.

After 460 miles, turn left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bloomin hope so, it’s so much part of my watch life,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

I geddit. Best post of the year!

What this response is missing is a picture. Maybe a massive overcrowded truck in the desert?

(**Note** As crap as the original post involving this joke was, it was approx 34 times better than this useless wank-stain of a thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Does TZ have a future?
    Hopefully not.
    wait.....what?
    A slip of the finger, I guess.

It is a salient point though; Eddie, like the rest of us, is not getting any younger, surely there will come a day when he won't want to bother with all this.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Spoof thread?
    Hacked account?
    Bell-end struggling for something of value to post?

Maybe none of the above. Probably number three though.

Take care all.
    He certainly doesn't appear to be in your third category, IMO.

R

may have been a wind up question, but there is some truth in a wider general reference to all forums just like here , I am not on face book, and will not be ( different argument for a different day)so I predominately communicate on line in forums for my various hobbies interests, cars , bikes, coins , watches etc, I have recently lost two forums to Facebook groups one car , one bike so its a definite reality that forums like here may slowly dwindle and die,the most active forums I am in is watches and Numismatic coins . I think for a forum to survive lot depends on the age & demographic of the hobbies/ interest ,I think going forward the new interest younger generation will generate new forums/ Facebook groups, like apple watch forum! ( its real just googled it :-) ) . but while I can see the key board and type I will continue being on a forum like here.

It'll be around for a while yet, there's yungans in their forties here man.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    It is a salient point though; Eddie, like the rest of us, is not getting any younger, surely there will come a day when he won't want to bother with all this.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one having thought of this!

Continuity of Government! Wonder if there's a protocol in place ready at Castle Platts?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    may have been a wind up question, but there is some truth in a wider general reference to all forums just like here , I am not on face book, and will not be ( different argument for a different day)so I predominately communicate on line in forums for my various hobbies interests, cars , bikes, coins , watches etc, I have recently lost two forums to Facebook groups one car , one bike so its a definite reality that forums like here may slowly dwindle and die,the most active forums I am in is watches and Numismatic coins . I think for a forum to survive lot depends on the age & demographic of the hobbies/ interest ,I think going forward the new interest younger generation will generate new forums/ Facebook groups, like apple watch forum! ( its real just googled it :-) ) . but while I can see the key board and type I will continue being on a forum like here.
    Well said, I agree 100%. I too refuse to get involved with Facebook but the majority of young people seem toorefer Facebook to the more traditional forums.

If there continues to be more threads of that calibre, TZUK's best days are still ahead of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    may have been a wind up question.....
    ISWYDT

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Well said, I agree 100%. I too refuse to get involved with Facebook but the majority of young people seem toorefer Facebook to the more traditional forums.
    Facebook is considered old hat and for the oldies by most young people these days.

Snapchat, instagram and twitter are the social media of teenagers to twenty somethings I believe.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Facebook is considered old hat and for the oldies by most young people these days.

Snapchat, instagram and twitter are the social media of teenagers to twenty somethings I believe.
    This.

The younger types I work with all generally don't bother with Facebook now, most seem to prefer twitter and Instagram

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Hopefully not............. Love this place.....
    A bit of a contradiction, but I think so as long a people continue to be interested in watches.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Can I throw a spanner in the works what happens to the forum if say God forbid Eddie passes away suddenly, does it just end or is there plans for someone to take over we are not getting any younger, don't know if it has been discussed before? and mods delete if you think not the write thing to talk about.

[QUOTE=subseastu;5063555]This.

The younger types I work with all generally don't bother with Facebook now, most seem to prefer twitter and Instagram

there you go, shows how old I am an out of touch with how the younger communicate :-)as said there are other reasons a forum fades/dies

oh and being old can some one tell me what
    ISWYDT

means please :-)

I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Can I throw a spanner in the works what happens to the forum if say God forbid Eddie passes away suddenly, does it just end or is there plans for someone to take over we are not getting any younger, don't know if it has been discussed before? and mods delete if you think not the write thing to talk about.
    Wow what a question. You've also been on here since 2002 and ask about mods.

I assumed this was a genuine question about the numbers quoted. Was forum use really much higher few years ago?

I have interests outside of watches (it does happen) and have seen successful Forums for those interests come and go, BritishBlades for example.

The difference here is that the site is intrinsically linked to Timefactors, and one only has to look at how Eddie consults members here regarding design decisions to see why it is unique.

Long may it continue.

Most forums have some ridiculous Highest Ever figure, presumably caused by some automated activity.

Master
    I'm guessing the OP meant hopefully not a decline in numbers not "Does TZ has a future, hopefully not" I think places like this will be around for a while yet but can see, as other people have pointed out, the younger generation seem to prefer Facebook type places then the standard forums nowadays.

Continuity of Government! Wonder if there's a protocol in place ready at Castle Platts?

Well it wouldn't disappear, it would be sold :D

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a member of a few watch things on FB. To be honest they are rubbish and just appear as messy random posts as you cannot beat the structure of a proper web forum

I shudder to think what will happen if for whatever reason Eddie decide to step down and the certain bunch of hysterical virtue signalling forum police wannabes will take over and have their wicked way with it. You all know who they are, if unsure just look in the BP.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I shudder to think what will happen if for whatever reason Eddie decide to step down and the certain bunch of hysterical virtue signalling forum police wannabes will take over and have their wicked way with it. You all know who they are, if unsure just look in the BP.
    You could buy it and run it just as you see fit

TZ-UK is easily my favorite social media platform. The quality and diversity of discourse is refreshing and energizing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I'm guessing the OP meant hopefully not a decline in numbers not "Does TZ has a future, hopefully not" I think places like this will be around for a while yet but can see, as other people have pointed out, the younger generation seem to prefer Facebook type places then the standard forums nowadays.
    My mistake, should have proof read myself. Was just looking at the numbers viewing each forum and at the time there was one viewing BP and six on SC, so then dragged to the bottom of the page which tells how many are online and also highest ever number. Question was posted around that. Apologies as I've clearly upset one of the posters, hope you make a speedy recovery 

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    You could buy it and run it just as you see fit
    Perhaps a reminder who revoked BP his access would be appropriate?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I was wondering if, when he's in charge, he would be sufficiently foolish to restore it?

Don't go getting yourself hysterical about the dynamics of the BP. It jogs along quite well with the combination of self-moderation and the owner's occasional swinging of the ban-hammer.

R

Long live Phillip!

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Long live Phillip!

Ive always considered him to a splendid fellow and a very fair and sensible administrator come mod.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=philip

Grand Master
    Can’t believe the OP didn’t gave the good sense to proof read what he posted.

I thought something was wrong when I read it, didn’t seem to make sense!

Sheer laziness, no excuse. Why can’t people be bothered to read what they’ve posted and correct it if it’s wrong? It happens all too often thesedays and the lazy posters blame predictive text!

Does TZUK have a future?

Sheer laziness, no excuse. Why can’t people be bothered to read what they’ve posted and correct it if it’s wrong? It happens all too often thesedays and the lazy posters blame predictive text!
    Have a good evening Paul.

I think that the numbers shown on a thread have indeed reduced drastically.
    For example SC would often have say 120 people viewing in the early evening, but now appears to show around 30. It is not just SC, all parts of the forum seem to have suddenly become massively less popular.
    I considered this unlikely in such a short period of time, and just guessed that the way that the numbers calculated has changed somehow???!!

Banned
    Here's some fresh blood in to the forums :) - hopefully it will have a future.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagullfan View Post
    Here's some fresh blood in to the forums :) - hopefully it will have a future.
    Uh hu.. I'm sure your name is already mentioned in the Double Forum IDs thread that you're 'an old hand' musing whether you're a reincarnation of a banned forum member or double ID of someone the paranoid old farts are frown upon. Have you been asked already what are you trying to sell and called an idiot for asking question that have been asked before by one of the 'stalwarts'? You know, friendly place to discuss watches and all that..

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Banned
    Uh hu.. I'm sure your name is already mentioned in the Double Forum IDs thread that you're 'an old hand' musing whether you're a reincarnation of a banned forum member or double ID of someone the paranoid old farts are frown upon. Have you been asked already what are you trying to sell and called an idiot for asking question that have been asked before by one of the 'stalwarts'? You know, friendly place to discuss watches and all that..

Huh - I don't know about any of the above but certainly the username is one I use across multiple watch forums to preserve continuity.

And by "new blood" unfortunately that actually means someone already in their 30s... - so perhaps middle aged blood is more apt.

Master

I thought something was wrong when I read it, didn’t seem to make sense!

Classic: you do know thesedays is not one word?

If only you'd proofread your post.

There is a purple knob-shaped telephone standing alone on a certain solicitor's oaken desk. One day that phone shall ring and the solicitor will pick up the phone and hear the dreaded code:

"Mount Everest has been peaked"

This will set in motion an intricate human machine, that shall take meticulously planned steps in order to ensure the continuity of the finest watch forum that has ever been created. The first steps of that machine will be gentle tugs and pulls to coordinate the forum motion. Soon the gentle guiding prods will intensify until sufficient momentum has been achieved. In the end it shall turn into an uncontrollable hysterical madness all over The Bear Pit and G&D.