closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Furniture with hidden compartments

Craftsman

Furniture with hidden compartments

Hello again TZ crowd,

Again after some feedback from the hive mind,

Not meaning this to be any kind of sly marketing/stealth sales post, just after some ideas,

Have recently wanted to make something with hidden compartments for my watches and at first I thought it was a bit of a gimmick, but the more I think about it the more useful I think it might be for a lot more people with valuables etc.

Here's a design I've been playing with for some time, its just a coffee table but the side apron is on runners and there's a dust panel on the bottom,

Was thinking I could even have a magnet to actuate a latch or am I getting too complicated?

It's a really simple kind of hidden compartment but it could actually have some use in people's lives who like to keep their jewelry or watches discreetly and don't wan't to use a safe.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks nice but I think most oiks upend smaller furniture whilst ransacking the place.

1. Have idea about hidden compartment in furniture to hide valuables
    2. discuss the construction of above on public internet forum
    3. post picture of finished product on public forum, complete with EXIF data showing location coordinates

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

It's a great concept, it's definitely got legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    1. Have idea about hidden compartment in furniture to hide valuables
    2. discuss the construction of above on public internet forum
    3. post picture of finished product on public forum, complete with EXIF data showing location coordinates

Because safe makers don't show the security features online to both customers and scrotes do they

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Because safe makers don't show the security features online to both customers and scrotes do they
    The only security feature in the OP's idea is the fact that it's secret. Safe makers use thick steele plates. Completely different concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Looks nice but I think most oiks upend smaller furniture whilst ransacking the place.
    This, if only looking for keys or secret notes taped to the underside.

The only security feature in the OP's idea is the fact that it's secret. Safe makers use thick steele plates. Completely different concepts.
    Because a scrote will recognise a table in someone's home from a black and white concept drawing on a watch forum?

I'd imagine this is for opportunists rather than dedicated thieves. The magnet idea suggested may retain the drawer if the table is flipped.

Because a scrote will recognise a table in someone's home from a black and white concept drawing on a watch forum?

I'd imagine this is for opportunists rather than dedicated thieves. The magnet idea suggested may retain the drawer if the table is flipped.
    My, somewhat sarcastic post above has a third point: what if the OP would finally build the table and post pictures of it on the public forum, complete with the coordinates of its location embedded in the picture's EXIF data? That was my point, not completely unrealistic given today's need to share everything on an open platform without much understanding or consideration of the consequences.

My, somewhat sarcastic post above has a third point: what if the OP would finally build the table and post pictures of it on the public forum, complete with the coordinates of its location embedded in the picture's EXIF data? That was my point, not completely unrealistic given today's need to share everything on an open platform without much understanding or consideration of the consequences.
    Do you not think that such location data embedded within photos of actual watch collections might be a bit more attractive than the location data of a table that may or may not contain watches, let alone watches of value?

Do you check all watch photos for the location data? If not, I suggest doing so as you might be providing a service.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It's a great concept, it's definitely got legs.

A friend has a table with a draw in it and it proved to be a great place for the kids to hide food they didn’t want to eat at dinner time.

Do you not think that such location data embedded within photos of actual watch collections might be a bit more attractive than the location data of a table that may or may not contain watches, let alone watches of value?

Do you check all watch photos for the location data? If not, I suggest doing so as you might be providing a service.
    I've wondered about this for a while. For photos uploaded to TZ-UK through Tapatalk, I've checked but can't see that any meta data gets carried across but for wonder if the same is true for images uploaded to say Imgur and the like.

Craftsman
    I guess it’s my fault for misappropriating this as an alternative to a safe, my idea was more for people who would rather not keep thier watches in a display case.

Fair point about ransackers turning over smaller furniture, maybe it’s more suited to a desk or more substantial piece?

Master
    I have a George 111 Bureau and it has four hidden compartments for hiding things away. The problem is that the popular Antiques Roadshow type of television programme are very good at showing the world where these secret compartments are, so in effect render them useless.

I have a few friends in the local Police force and they recommend buying false baked bean or cola cans that you unscrew and hide stuff in. It looks inoculous and is just ignored by scrotes. Also old paint tins or similar in the garage are good alternatives. No one opens old tins in garages.

However the best bet is an old fashioned heavy steel safe. I have one that took 3 men to install and they all left complaining of their bad backs due to the sheer weight of the thing. You can buy these quite cheaply because they are a PITA to move about.

I`ve got an idea!
    What about designing a safe with a secret compartment - would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I`ve got an idea!
    Or a secret compartment with a safe in it?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a George 111 Bureau and it has four hidden compartments for hiding things away. The problem is that the popular Antiques Roadshow type of television programme are very good at showing the world where these secret compartments are, so in effect render them useless.
    That assumes that the scumbags that break into your house watch antiques roadshow...

I've got the George 110 bureau.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Did you get it from asda 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If one to believe GeorgeRumours.tm George 110.1 will be released on 1/04/19.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

If you have an integral garage..............

A cheap safe ‘not-so-securely-fitted’ in the hall cupboard, with some cheap junk in it. If they can jemmy it off the wall/floor easily - they will simply take the safe with them.

A decent safe, securely bolted to the wall, with a shelf under. Then fit, either a small boiler casing around it, or even a backless old microwave oven casing.

Not having the ability to install a worthwhile safe in my place, I’ve often wondered whether there is any hiding place a scumbag won’t look. I had a colleague done over and they got through every drawer and possible storage place in the house.

I’m thinking places like on top of kitchen units or at the back of under stairs cupboard that’s got so much crap in it that it would take 10 minutes to empty. I know access then becomes an issue but thinking for watches that don’t get worn that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    A friend has a table with a draw in it and it proved to be a great place for the kids to hide food they didn’t want to eat at dinner time.
    It could be worse, someone could've put a winner in it.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If you have an integral garage..............

A cheap safe ‘not-so-securely-fitted’ in the hall cupboard, with some cheap junk in it. If they can jemmy it off the wall/floor easily - they will simply take the safe with them.
    Put a turd in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not having the ability to install a worthwhile safe in my place, I’ve often wondered whether there is any hiding place a scumbag won’t look. I had a colleague done over and they got through every drawer and possible storage place in the house.

I’m thinking places like on top of kitchen units or at the back of under stairs cupboard that’s got so much crap in it that it would take 10 minutes to empty. I know access then becomes an issue but thinking for watches that don’t get worn that much.
    A false toaster.

Unless the burglars get a bit peckish and fancy some cheese on toast - they ain’t gonna give it a second look.

A false toaster.

Unless the burglars get a bit peckish and fancy some cheese on toast - they ain’t gonna give it a second look.
    I like it. Not as good as the hiding place that I stashed my NWA cassette when I was about 12 years old to hide from the parents...in a plastic bag in the toilet cistern. A burglar might work up an appetite for toast, they’d never undertake some impromptu ball cock adjustment on a job.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I`ve got an idea!
    Quite a lot of the old steel safes actually have secret safes. They are very cunningly disguised.

I like it. Not as good as the hiding place that I stashed my NWA cassette when I was about 12 years old to hide from the parents...in a plastic bag in the toilet cistern. A burglar might work up an appetite for toast, they’d never undertake some impromptu ball cock adjustment on a job.
    Wrong,
    rated in the top 5 Worst places to hide valuables.

http://content.excite.com/home-secur...our-valuables/

It’s where police always look in TV dramas/documentaries.

I have a few friends in the local Police force and they recommend buying false baked bean or cola cans that you unscrew and hide stuff in. It looks inoculous and is just ignored by scrotes.
    It would seem that scrotes are fully aware of these false cans now, and the false plug sockets too.

Im surprised by this recommendation. The last couple of burglaries l heard about included a search of the kitchen cupboards. There were dented cans all over the floor and the cereal packets had been emptied over the floor too.
    That said, l understand that the police can only recommend stuff to make things a bit more difficult - thieves will find anything if they really try.
    As for the safe... well l really wanted one until a few years ago a friend of my cousin had to watch his wife get beaten in front of him until he accessed his safe for them. They had been in the house before and returned mob handed after realising it contained a safe.
    The b##t#rds didn't even give him an opportunity to open the safe voluntarily before they laid into her...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    It would seem that scrotes are fully aware of these false cans now, and the false plug sockets too.

Im surprised by this recommendation. The last couple of burglaries l heard about included a search of the kitchen cupboards. There were dented cans all over the floor and the cereal packets had been emptied over the floor too.
    That said, l understand that the police can only recommend stuff to make things a bit more difficult - thieves will find anything if they really try.
    As for the safe... well l really wanted one until a few years ago a friend of my cousin had to watch his wife get beaten in front of him until he accessed his safe for them. They had been in the house before and returned mob handed after realising it contained a safe.
    The b##t#rds didn't even give him an opportunity to open the safe voluntarily before they laid into her...
    I once read somewhere (now forgotten) that the average burglary is done in about 5 mins. The scrotes are usually scared stiff for fear of being caught and want to be in and out in a matter of minutes. Evidently the favourite place is the main bedroom where the cash and jewellry is usually kept and it is in this room that everything is pulled to bits and smashed.

I think your cousins friend was mega unfortunate in having a gang return mob handed and beat the stuffing out of his wife in order to make him open the safe. They sound like professional thugs and I would imagine they would concentrate on businesses rather than domestic residences. That does seem an extreme case.

The one thing that has worried me in this thread is the reference to " EXIF data showing location coordinates of posted photos". I hope I have misconstrued what was said as it implies that anyone who takes a pic of a watch in their own house has in effect told the world of their precise location. Does anyone have any detailed knowledge of this ?

The one thing that has worried me in this thread is the reference to " EXIF data showing location coordinates of posted photos". I hope I have misconstrued what was said as it implies that anyone who takes a pic of a watch in their own house has in effect told the world of their precise location. Does anyone have any detailed knowledge of this ?
    It depends on whether (1) the camera which was used to take the photograph is capable of (and configured to) record location metadata into the EXIF file, and (2) the site used to host the photographs automatically strips out the EXIF data.

I've certainly had an occasion where I had a potential dispute with an item I purchased on eBay, and was able to use the location metadata in some photographs which the seller emailed me to identify his exact location.

You can use programmes like XNView (and many others) to remove any EXIF data from your photographs before uploading them.

Furniture with hidden compartments

Just to add, some of us tested loading up pictures to Tapatalk, which many do, a while back. Tapatalk strips out the EXIF data. I don’t recall if Imgur does but I’m going to check!

I once read somewhere (now forgotten) that the average burglary is done in about 5 mins. The scrotes are usually scared stiff for fear of being caught and want to be in and out in a matter of minutes. Evidently the favourite place is the main bedroom where the cash and jewellry is usually kept and it is in this room that everything is pulled to bits and smashed.

I think your cousins friend was mega unfortunate in having a gang return mob handed and beat the stuffing out of his wife in order to make him open the safe. They sound like professional thugs and I would imagine they would concentrate on businesses rather than domestic residences. That does seem an extreme case.

In a nutshell, if your take a picture with your phone and upload it to a website or social media site which allows geotagging your GPS coordinates/geolocation will be captured and available for anyone to see via EXIF alongside other (meta)data ie device details, time stamp etc. It’s why it’s a good practice to take photos with an old digital camera which doesn’t have GPS capture or use image hosting service who allows you to strip geolocation data, or you can do it manually in post processing.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

As per my previous comments in this post, what about photos uploaded to TZ-UK through Tapatalk? Do they have meta data?

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    As per my previous comments in this post, what about photos uploaded to TZ-UK through Tapatalk? Do they have meta data?
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Just to add, some of us tested loading up pictures to Tapatalk, which many do, a while back. Tapatalk strips out the EXIF data. I don’t recall if Imgur does but I’m going to check!
    I can add that Imgur also strips out EXIF data.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I’m pretty sure tapatalk or imgur don’t include the metadata, but I’ll wait for someone else to confirm.

I’m pretty sure tapatalk or imgur don’t include the metadata, but I’ll wait for someone else to confirm.
    Doing my best!

Master
    That’s good to hear.
    Some more info on their website here:
    https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/arti...ivacy-Settings

I think you're right about the average burglar. They just want a quick hit, but the kitchen is apparently now fair game...

... As for my cousins friend, apparently this kind of crime is moving away from businesses and toward the conspicuously wealthy - as businesses are far more savvy as to how to combat such practices and there are more cameras involved.

One swallow, does not a summer - make.

One swallow, does not a summer - make.
    Correct. But it makes an indication summers on its way.

And, in the spirit of nonsense proverbs - many a Mickle makes a muckle and a stitch in time saves nine!
    Last edited by Umbongo; 31st March 2019 at 10:22.

-a stitch in time saves nine!
    I always took that one to mean - make a small repair now while the damage is limited, saving a much bigger one in the future when it has got worse.

I don’t know what a mickle is though.

Master
    Blog Entries

As a rule, people equate height to 'safe' so burglars will look on top of cupboards / wardrobes etc.
    People also burrow so at the back of wardrobes etc.

If you don't have a converted loft then sticking anything up there hidden is good.
    If it take 10 minutes to retrieve your goods when you know where they are, then I'd say it's a pretty safe place.

Few ideas - up chimney (obviously not in use, maybe with soot added), under kitchen base units, inside old hi-fi or children’s toy, in frozen chicken in freezer (probably not watches!).
    Many places in loft - inside any junk, in water tank or under fibreglass insulation.