closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZ-UK British Summer Time timekeeping challenge

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'm going to pull out of this - travel means resetting the time, and I want to keep wearing the GS, so I'm going to self-disqualify!

It's a great thread idea and it's shown me just how accurate the 9R65 Spring Drive movement can be at +0.25 seconds per day, far surpassing GS's own accuracy claims.

Thanks again for organising this JGJG.
    You're very welcome & I'm glad you enjoyed finding out a bit more about the behaviour and accuracy of your watch, which was the whole idea. Enjoy your travels :)
    Last edited by JGJG; 28th April 2019 at 23:12.

Leaderboard updated

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Leaderboard updated
    Looks as though you missed my latest update.

4 weeks in, there are some really strong watches here.

The HAQ's are boringly precise , while Der Amf's Pressage and Crazeehair's Seamaster are flying the flag very strongly for the mechanicals.

Couple of great quartz performers in the form of the venerable 7A38 and the GLX5600, but for sheer joie de vivre petethegeek's cheeky clio "merch" is in a class of its own :)

Last edited by JGJG; 28th April 2019 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Looks as though you missed my latest update.
    My apologies, looks like dropbox hadn't fully synced before I took a screen grab....

Leaderboard updated, again!

After a month I feel it's proved its point. It's been worn for 26 of the 30 days. In May, I'll wear it enough to keep it going, but will spend a bit more time with the rest of my handful of watches, and will see what difference that makes.

Thanks to the excessively close attention this exercise is encouraging, I've noticed that half the couple of seconds the watch loses each day (and then regains overnight) is lost in the first hour or two of wear, before the power reserve has had a chance to get itself topped up.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 2nd May 2019 at 09:24.

This will be my last update for a couple of weeks and possibly the very last for the 2254, as I am away for a couple of weeks from tomorrow.

I have asked my daughter to wind it every couple of days and leave resting in a different position each time... but I won’t hold my breath!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Thanks to the excessively close attention this exercise is encouraging, I've noticed that half the couple of seconds the watch loses each day (and then regains overnight) is lost in the first hour or two of wear, before the power reserve has had a chance to get itself topped up.
    Excessively? Welcome to hell 😜

Joking aside, that change in the timing is very interesting. I wonder if, in a similar manner, the overnight gain accelerates towards the end of the lay up?

Excessively? Welcome to hell

Joking aside, that change in the timing is very interesting. I wonder if, in a similar manner, the overnight gain accelerates towards the end of the lay up?
    I could set an alarm for every hour throughout the night to find out?

I could set an alarm for every hour throughout the night to find out?
    Perfect. I’ll do the same to read the dispatches as soon as they arrive ;)

+11s

GS is still running at 0s...

GLX5600 is now at +1s. Managed to take a pic where both the watch and the screen were ticking over

Leaderboard updated :)

GLX5600 is now at +1s. Managed to take a pic where both the watch and the screen were ticking over

That's a pretty cool pic there it has to be said.

Do that again at midnight and I really will be impressed.

No photo this week but my DW-5600-HR is plus another one second so that's +6 since we started.

In an on the side experiment, I was testing some of my other non-atomic G-Shocks and have the following results since the hour changed.

On the left is the GA835 which was the best performer at +2, next to the DG-350 which was the worst performer at +8. While that's still within spec I remember it being more accurate when worn. The fact that I have it set to vibrate and flash on the hour may well be affecting it's battery performance and thereby accuracy.

Next up is the DW-5035D, a 35th anniversary edition which shares the same module as the test DW-5600-HR and was at +6, so exactly the same performance.

The final G-Shock is the mighty DW-5600-E. Same 3229 module as the above but at +5.

My OCD kicked in and I reset all of the above but I'm keeping the DW-5600-HR in the test.

That's a pretty cool pic there it has to be said.
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Do that again at midnight and I really will be impressed.
    Yep, dunno how I managed that but it is pretty cool looking

Leaderboard updated :)

I went through all the times I had posted and made a table to see how much it had wandered back and forth.

0 to +2 is 2 seconds; down to -1 is another 3 seconds, so 5 in total etc etc.

Over the 35 days, it's wandered 32 seconds, so a reasonable way to describe the accuracy I'm experiencing is +/-1s/d, with the inaccuracies cancelling each other out.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 6th May 2019 at 11:39. Reason: Typo

5 weeks in for me (I started a day late on 1 Apr):

1. Seiko 7A38 is STILL bang on the marker! +-0spd
    2. Offshore is 1m32s behind over 35 days = -2.6spd

Ok, a couple of my hummers to add to the electronics.

Final update for the SMF300. In just under 5 weeks it has gained 92 secs. I'm going to correct it now so DNF.

Just the MegaQuartz remaining in from me now, seems like the Ultronic needs a new index wheel.

Will only post monthly updates on the MegaQuartz as with such insignificant gains isn't worth updating more regularly than that. Hopefully will stay at 3.5 secs per month.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 8th May 2019 at 09:22.

SBGX009 still spot on

GLX5600 still as shiny as ever, and still at +1s

wish that i had seen this earlier :(

Had to happen eventually: being left for 24 hours face up with a full PR saw it gain 7 seconds in one go

I will be able to manipulate this back down if I choose to, by leaving it crown up overnight three or four times....but that wouldn't be in the spirit of the test, would it? *bravely takes the +7 seconds on the chin*

I have picked up, looked at, worn or gently shaken the GS more in the past 37 days than the previous 3 years.

Decided I like it so much I may need to look out for another.

I will be able to manipulate this back down if I choose to, by leaving it crown up overnight three or four times....but that wouldn't be in the spirit of the test, would it?
    I for one have been far more impressed by both the curiosity and tenacity you have displayed in developing your understanding of the watch, than I have its inherent (in)consistency. It's perhaps somewhat fanciful, but I would like to think this is similar to the kind of relationship which the keepers of the early chronometers had with their instruments. I'd say go for it.

Anyway all this leads me to realise I haven't checked mine in a while so..

...and approximately six weeks in it appears to have gained a total of 2 seconds. I really don't know quite know what to make of this.
    Last edited by petethegeek; 12th May 2019 at 14:37. Reason: direction of time corrected

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    I for one have been far more impressed by both the curiosity and tenacity you have displayed in developing your understanding of the watch, than I have its inherent (in)consistency. It's perhaps somewhat fanciful, but I would like to think this is similar to the kind of relationship which the keepers of the early chronometers had with their instruments. I'd say go for it.

Anyway all this leads me to realise I haven't checked mine in a while so..

...and approximately six weeks in it appears to have lost a total of 2 seconds. I really don't know quite know what to make of this.

Had to happen eventually: being left for 24 hours face up with a full PR saw it gain 7 seconds in one go

I will be able to manipulate this back down if I choose to, by leaving it crown up overnight three or four times....but that wouldn't be in the spirit of the test, would it? *bravely takes the +7 seconds on the chin*
    I think it would be entirely in the spirit of the thing :)

Final update for the SMF300. In just under 5 weeks it has gained 92 secs. I'm going to correct it now so DNF.
    Shame but understood - I'll mark it in for now and it'll be DNF thereafter.

Leaderboard updated

It's also not being worn today. This time I'll leave it in a different position!

I think it would be entirely in the spirit of the thing :)
    As mine isn’t a daily wearer, that is what I’ve done to keep good time with the watch. I’ve worn it in the evenings if not wearing it in the day whenever possible and I’ve learnt a lot about the watch and can now fairly easily keep it running more or less bang on time by adjusting it’s resting position.

As you said in one of your earlier posts, it’s as much a test of the owner as the watch and hopefully, completely in the spirit of the test :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Gen 2 has gained 9 seconds since we started
    0.2 seconds a day

My DW-5600-HR is now at +8 seconds since we started.

Difference between Mar 31, 2019 and May 13, 2019:

1 months 14 days
    or 6 weeks 2 days
    or 44 calendar days

Not bad at all.

Had to adjust the Offshore Professional mid week - a steady COSC friendly -2.6spd over the test period. Please mark as a DNF.

As for the old 7A38?... drifting just a little despite the photo below; currently +0.5s over the whole time period to date, equating to +0.012s per day!

My invitations to lose a little time have been declined

I think it must, like the rest of us, have the scent of spring in its nostrils

The long road back

edit, 24 hours later: or perhaps not, it's now +12.

It seems to have lost its beyond-lucky balance, and is now merely keeping really good time.

another edit, 48 hours later: and back to +10 seconds after 48 days.

It's about to spend 56 hours unworn, which will take the PR down to almost nothing - it'll be interesting to see what mayhem that causes. I remember from the past that in the final 24 hours of its PR the timekeeping is awful, but I can't remember in which direction.... kind of hoping it'll cancel out these ten seconds....
    Last edited by Der Amf; 18th May 2019 at 06:49.

The TZ-UK British Summer Time timekeeping challenge

Back from holiday and unfortunately my daughter didn’t manage to keep the 2254 running for more than a few days, I will have to declare this as DNF :(

I will update the others when I get a chance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shame about the seamaster; looking forward to seeing how the pressage does !
    Last edited by JGJG; 18th May 2019 at 21:02.

By the way, this Wednesday (22nd) we’ll be 25% of the way through British Summer Time 2019.

It would be great if some of the less frequent posters would like to provide an update at that stage 👍

Master
    As expected, my SBGN001 still bang on..

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Shame about the seamaster; looking forward to seeing how the pressage does !
    After 32 hours of resting crown up, back down to +4 seconds....

....and here I admit I lost courage, and rather than see the effect of letting the PR run down almost all the way, I just gave the watch its first manual wind since a week before the clocks went forward.

(I figured since I had started choosing a suitable resting position rather doing exactly the same every night, the immaculate purity of the experiment was already gone.)
    Last edited by Der Amf; 19th May 2019 at 07:46.

GLX is still +1, probably more like +1.5 at this stage...

SBGX009 is still absolutely perfect. I’ve been measuring it on WatchTracker, and it hasn’t even deviated by 0.1s so far, which would put it in line for 0.0-0.7spy at this stage