closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The TZ-UK British Summer Time timekeeping challenge

Master
    I had to retire my Grand Seiko at the end of August, as it accompanied me to a wedding in Romania, it was +2/2.5 by then.
    Would be interesting to see if it stayed in spec (+/-5 seconds per year), over a year.

G-Shock unchanged this week at +10

Grand Seiko unwavering...

As mentioned earlier, this is the 3/4 point so let’s have your updates, and I’ll do the leaderboard this evening :)

The DW-5600-HR is currently at +38s

Bad news I'm afraid. Unfortunately I'm going to have to withdraw the Clio. I took it out of the watch box over the Bank Holiday weekend to photograph it, having already made a cursory visual check confirming the time as still being +5 second vtd. However the sun was proving to be too bright to take a decent picture, but I decided to set everything up anyway ready for the light to settle. When I next looked I realised that the watch had lost over 4 minutes in the process.

Somewhat bemused I took the back off, reseated the battery, reset the time and put it back in my office to monitor. Over the following week the timing remained absolutely constant as far as I could visually ascertain. Come last weekend I took it outside again and encountered almost exactly the same problem. A sharp loss of time almost without me noticing it whilst the watch was unattended in the sunshine. On this occasion however I was able to induce a couple of 'hesitations' in the hand movement whilst (gently) manipulating the watch and altering its orientation.

Again I reset it before replacing it in the box and it has continued to perform flawlessly since.

It appears the halting is a result of being exposed to the hot direct sunlight, though I guess it's also possible that the root cause may simply be the battery failing.

In any case I shall investigate further and hopefully find a resolution before the clocks go back for the winter and the next session starts.

That Grand Seiko is proving a real stand out in every respect.

+245s total.

Master
    Apologies for not updating regularly, I keep forgetting to. The watch was put through its paces in August with lots of activity.

Looks like it has added another 28 seconds since my last update. Now 63 seconds fast.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Apologies I didn’t get round to posting it last night, but here for posterity is the leaderboard at the 3/4 stage, i.e. week to 8 Sept:

Really interesting table. With more than 5 months gone, there’s only 1 horse left in each of Electric, HAQ and Mechanical categories... meanwhile, the quartz remains hotly contested despite the loss of the little Clio: neck and neck between 7A38 and G10

(Sean and Wimm, many thanks for your further updates today which I’ll add to the coming week’s board...)

No change for the GS

GLX-5600 at +11

This could be the last post for these as I am putting a few watches up for sale.
    G10 +23
    Zenith / Allegro -239

+31 seconds for the megaquartz.

One thing of interest I've noted, the watch seems to gain more when sitting in the watch box than when it's being worn more regularly. I wonder if the fact the watchbox is in a hot room encourages it to gain when it's enclosed in there. Barely removed it this past month and it's gained more than usual.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 15th September 2019 at 17:49.

Master
    I didn't see this thread until a couple of weeks in to bst and as I was wearing a different watch over the change it was a few days or a week before I set my planet Ocean. However just for fun, it's currently 1 minute 58 fast. So gaining about 0.7 seconds per day. 6.5 years old and not serviced. When new or gained 2.2 seconds per day. AFAIK the variation from day to day is still virtually nothing.... Although come to think of it.... I've not checked that in years.

G-Shock at +12s now

Grand Seiko at 0.0

I’m afraid there will be no more updates for the G10, that has moved on to pastures new.
    The Zenith / Allegro is now -244 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I’m afraid there will be no more updates for the G10, that has moved on to pastures new.
    Is it still on the forum? T'would be smashing if the new owner wanted to continue on the thread :)

A rock steady +7 overall for the 7a38

Apologies, I missed last week's data point. So today, the DW-5600HR is +41 seconds.

dkpw

Leaderboard updated!

The nights are drawing in... 5 weeks to go :)

Thanks for keeping the scores. There have been some astonishing results here, especially the GS and that Seiko Chronograph. Even my slightly aberrant G-Shock is well with spec.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

A quiet week for the G-Shock, which is at +12

By contrast, the SBGX009 got a lot of wear. Still at 0.0s...

The colder weather seems to have improved the rate again, as the DW-5600HR has only gained 1 second since last week. So now at +42 for DST.

Cheers

David

+251.5s fast currently. Gained 277s in so far over the challenge.

Well, we’re into the final month!

No change for the Grand Seiko this week...

G-Shock has had a constant week too, with an enjoyable day’s wear yesterday.

The Zenith / Allegro has stopped working... so close, yet so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    The Zenith / Allegro has stopped working... so close, yet so far!
    Very sorry to hear that - it was doing well over the last 6 months!

Leaderboard updated!

That's a shame to see the last of the Electrics bowing out this week. A shame also that we have no Spring Drives left. We three weeks remaining, we have a single HAQ and single mechanical left in the fray, with the biggest and most exciting field being among the regular quartz contenders. The 7A38 and G10 are showing their mil-spec resilience, but who will come out on top?

I'll get time to photograph mine soon... but I checked it today. The 7a38 must sense the finish line.... and has slowed a second to make it +6s overall to date. Must be the shift in temperature.

As an aside... my Breitling Aerospace HAQ is still bang on 0s over 3 months since purchase. The thermo compensation is working as advertised and very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    That's a shame to see the last of the Electrics bowing out this week.
    Yeah I thought the same. I got my Ultronic fixed(after its service, it needed a new index wheel) after its early withdrawal and will be ready to get that back in if we're doing a winter challenge(seems to be keeping excellent time now). My other electronics are still needing servicing though before they can be left for half a year without correction.

I've found the quartz section the most interesting(so much variation in timekeeping and impossible to influence with positions etc.) so would probably add a few more if we do it again. Will update the Megaquartz later.

+37 seconds now for the megaquartz.

+18 for the Casio and +8 for the CWC.

Sorry I missed Sunday. But the DW5600HR is now at +44s.

D

No change for the GS

GLX5600 is at +13

The Gen 2 is 25 secs fast now.

Another +1 week for my G-Shock, so the DW-5600-HR is at +45 seconds.

Thanks

D

Well, my 7a38 is babied inside a cosy "Case Buddi" zipper case - but as we dash to the line, I've left it out on my study desk this past month. As the cold air draws.... I'm clawing back and am now on +4s overall

271s fast and 296.5s gained since the start of BST.

Leaderboard updated!

Many thanks everyone for the updates... only a couple more weeks to go :)

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    271s fast and 296.5s gained since the start of BST.
    (Sean, I was a bit slow in getting "Sunday's" update posted (it's now Tuesday)... I'll include you 296.5 in the coming week to 20 Oct.

Today's result for the DW-5600HR is another +1 second this week, so + 46 overall.

My trusty 7a38 remains out on the desk beside a cold window... clawing back a second a week while chilled! Now... +3s overall

Master
    Clocking up 79s fast. Definitely the wooden spoon for this one, I might have a couple of better contenders lined up for next summer.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

277.5s fast, and 303s gained thus far.

No change for the GS

G Shock remains at +13