closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZ-UK British Summer Time timekeeping challenge

The 2019 TZ-UK British Summer Time timekeeping challenge

NB - if entrants could do a fresh reply for each update, it'll be easier to keep track of new info, many thanks :)

-----Final scoreboard-----

Here are the final scores, sorted in class order:

and also sorted by time variance:

More analysis can be found towards the end of the thread.

Notes
    VTD = variance to date, updated weekly i.e. individual watch variance, in seconds from entry offset to latest posted offset.
    Info will generally be sorted by latest reported timekeeping by class (then alphabetically).
    Yellow shading indicates no update from the member for a couple of weeks. For date of latest leaderboard update please check edit data for this post, with apologies for any delays.

-----Original Post / How to Enter-----
    When the clocks (and watches) change this weekend, I thought it could be fun to try a bit of an accuracy challenge. A quick-n-dirty suggestion as to how it might work below, but I'm sure there could be some better suggestions between now and tomorrow night....

1. Sometime w/c 31 March, post a picture on this thread of your challenger watch beside time.is so that the time is visible on both. Identify the category your challenger is entering (HAQ, Quartz, Spring Drive, Electric, Mechanical >£1k market value; Mechanical < £1k market value)
    • Multiple entries no problem
    • The watch does NOT need to be worn throughout BST (as long as you can keep it running that's fine)
    • Should the challenger watch stop during BST, you're out! (post your excuses here)
    • I'll update this post with the leaderboard as and when.

2. Feel free to periodically post updates on this thread(again, watch and time.is screen together) with explanations, excuses, etc
    3. Sometime w/c 20 October, post a final picture on this thread (again, watch and time.is screen together)

Obviously quartz will have a natural advantage if only insofar as it's less likely to stop or need looking after if in rotation, but I would certainly love to see mechanical challengers in the mix too!
    What do we reckon ? Anyone interested ?

(By the way, this popped into my head because I regulated my quartz GS this week, so I think I've a bit of a chance myself )
    Last edited by JGJG; 29th March 2020 at 09:22. Reason: Leaderboard

Heresy! One cannot wear one watch in all those months.

But I'll attempt it with my GS Spring Drive as it's got a decent power reserve.

Master
    I'm in! Will be submitting my SBGN001. It's lost 0.2s since November.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

How about different categories: High-accuracy quartz, quartz, mechanical?

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I'm in! Will be submitting my SBGN001. It's lost 0.2s since November.

Cripes. My SBGA041 has managed to gain 0.25 seconds in a day. Perhaps a pre-bail is in order

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Spring drive separately too as it's mechanical but rather beyond those, but also not quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Spring drive separately too as it's mechanical but rather beyond those, but also not quartz.
    That sounds very sensible...

Thomas Reid
    Does it have to be a wrist watch? ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Another category: sub-1k mechanical

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Does it have to be a wrist watch? ;)
    I think you provided your own answer there Bob ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Another category: sub-1k mechanical
    Yep, great idea
    Last edited by JGJG; 29th March 2019 at 20:40.

Master
    No hope for my sub + 6 secs per day , knocked out of the field

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post

Have you compensated for height above ordnance datum?

https://www.wired.com/2007/12/time-hackers/

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post

Pete, are you some sort of gee.... Never mind.

Blog Entries
    Suggestion.

For mechanicals shorten the time down to one week - this should give a good indication of accuracy. This will allow for the watch to be worn on wrist. Then one could repeat for a different watch?

martyn

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post

The GPS timing receiver does 3D location when establishing its location before giving a time signal. However, I've been to base camp on Mt Rainier, and it is quite a bit higher than I am above sea level. So, the relativistic difference between here and (what I am assuing to be) the datum would disappear in the noise.

Best wishes,
    Bob

My holiday watch (yes, on holiday as of tonight, in France) has a fairly basic quartz compared to say Breitling or Omega... but it sync itself every night.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Suggestion.

For mechanicals shorten the time down to one week - this should give a good indication of accuracy. This will allow for the watch to be worn on wrist. Then one could repeat for a different watch?

martyn
    I think the OP is a great idea but the above suggestion might make it a bit complex.
    I think one watch per person would give a good indication of relative accuracy over 6 months for a variety of different watches, from different makers at different price points. Yes more than one participant may choose the same watch but that gives an indication of tolerance.

Either way it’s a great idea and I am now trying to work out which would be my most accurate watch for entry.

Edit: I kind of do this already with my quartz watches so have a good idea, assuming the batteries last.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 30th March 2019 at 09:49.

Blog Entries
    I think it will be impossible to keep any of my mechanical watches running continuously for six months - so count me out unfortunately.

If I did some of mine run at -4sec/d so I’ll be 12mins behind at the end of the exercise which would not quite work. I guess I could stick it on a watch winder but doesn’t give real world measurement ?

All the best.

They only quartz I could enter is this: GW-M5610-1ER
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 30th March 2019 at 08:39.

Master
    The other option is to declare your watch out when it goes, say, 1 minute off. This might make it more realistic for the mechanicals?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Mick P will win this easily, none of his watches gain or lose anything at all.

With the mechanicals it's going to be a test of the owner just as much as the watch - which is as it should be, as an important element of a mechanical watch is its reliance on the owner.

Master
    The new Citizen 0100 is guaranteed to one second per year. Can’t see how anything will beat that.
    As for mechanicals, because they can be quite inconsistent over a long period, it could come down to luck. Interesting idea....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The new Citizen 0100 is guaranteed to one second per year. Can’t see how anything will beat that.
    As for mechanicals, because they can be quite inconsistent over a long period, it could come down to luck. Interesting idea....
    Don't think anyone has one of these *yet*.

I think 9F can come close even if they specify 5spy as all the ones I've owned were closer to 1spy.

Blog Entries
    This will be quite a test for some - to keep one watch in their collection for six months

Master

The TZ-UK British Summer Time timekeeping challenge

Don't think anyone has one of these *yet*.

I think 9F can come close even if they specify 5spy as all the ones I've owned were closer to 1spy.

This one is a 5 second model; I’ve just set it for BST.
    At about 2-0-clock there is the little adjustment knob, so the module could presumably be tweaked to near perfection?
    Presumably, one of the 9F watches has a fair chance of ‘winning’....but we’l see. On the mechanical front, I’d put my money on a well-tuned Rolex.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th March 2019 at 17:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    At about 2-0-clock there is the little adjustment knob, so the module could presumably be tweaked to near perfection?
    Yup, as far as I know, each step of that regulation switch adjusts by 8spy for the regular 9F. Can't find info online, but presumably the same for the super special 9F you have there Peter. Has yours been keeping accurate time?

Master
    Yup, as far as I know, each step of that regulation switch adjusts by 8spy for the regular 9F. Can't find info online, but presumably the same for the super special 9F you have there Peter. Has yours been keeping accurate time?

Shamefully, I must admit that I have never checked; I trust these designs, they do what they say.....as you have also experienced.

Entry: in the sub-1k mechanical category, my Seiko Presage SPB037

Set to time.is on my phone at 7.30am, photo to follow once I get my computer on too.

When worn daily, its net accuracy is very good, so I've high hopes for this. Its PR is good enough that being left unworn for a day won't see it stopping, but will affect the accuracy.

Gloomy morning -> flash photography -> horrible picture -> many apologies Here's a photo of it looking much nicer.

The movement is a 6r15, rated +25/-15 s/d
    Last edited by Der Amf; 31st March 2019 at 08:20.

This a great idea for a thread but I rotate mine too often to participate officially, however I am conducting my own quartz experiment.

I have four non atomic G-Shocks and three analogue Citizens and I'm going to run them for a month or two and see how they behave. All the citizens have the same E168 movement, so variation will likely be due to temperature changes depending on time worn.

On a side note, having only recently reacquired analogue quartz, can I say it's a pain to set precisely compared to digital, given the stepping motor and clutch not releasing the hand when pressed. There's obviously some human factors in there too.

Good luck with everyone's experiments.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    This a great idea for a thread but I rotate mine too often to participate officially, however I am conducting my own quartz experiment.

I have four non atomic G-Shocks and three analogue Citizens and I'm going to run them for a month or two and see how they behave. All the citizens have the same E168 movement, so variation will likely be due to temperature changes depending on time worn.

On a side note, having only recently reacquired analogue quartz, can I say it's a pain to set precisely compared to digital, given the stepping motor and clutch not releasing the hand when pressed. There's obviously some human factors in there too.

Good luck with everyone's experiments.
    Nothing to say your challenger needs to be on the wrist - submit one of the G-Shocks :)

In the HAQ category, here’s my Grand Seiko SBGX009, set this morning with zero seconds offset.

I regulated this one last week, so have high hopes

Last edited by JGJG; 31st March 2019 at 09:18.

In the Quartz category, here’s my GLX 5600, set this morning with zero seconds offset.

Not sure how this will perform; heck, not even sure I’ll still have it in October ;)

Last edited by JGJG; 31st March 2019 at 09:19.

In the mechanical >£1k category, here’s my Bell & Ross 123 Geneva, set this morning with +2 seconds offset.

Not an especially accurate watch, but I liked Der Amf’s comment about “testing the owner”, so thought I’d include this little beauty for fun. No idea whether I can keep it running for 7 months

Last edited by JGJG; 31st March 2019 at 09:20.

Well a sub £1000, unserviced, 26 year old, RAF issued Seiko Gen 2 for my entry.
    I changed the battery a few months ago so it should last the summer.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 31st March 2019 at 10:06.

I’ll throw the 1990 CWC G10 in for this now that I have set it again today. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks so I am interested to see how it fares.

I think it will be near impossible for me to keep an auto running continuously but I will give that some thought today and may have a try
    Last edited by Craizeehair; 31st March 2019 at 12:20.

Master
    Okay here's my 9F contribution

Okay I'm in with my DW-5600-HR. It contains Casio module 3229 which is rated at ±15 seconds a month, at normal temperatures.

An interesting field so far... keep em coming!

I'll pull together a table and include it in the first post above...

Rolex Explorer entering the mechanicals category. 25.5 seconds slow.

"Superlative" means of the highest quality or degree. We shall see...

A freshly services 70's MegaQuartz enters the fray. Will be interested to see how it does.

anthropologist salary uk

Pop it in the HAQ category.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 31st March 2019 at 21:17.

Grand Seiko SBGA041 for the spring drive category. Currently bang on.

Update

Just under 48hrs later and just nudging 0.5 seconds fast (so just under +0.25spd). At the actual 48hr mark it'll likely be bang on 0.5 fast, as it usually is.

Last edited by hughtrimble; 2nd April 2019 at 12:54.

Entry: in the sub-1k mechanical category, my Seiko Presage SPB037
    24 hours on, about -0.5s, so the hoped for good start (I'm sure that on a timegraph the results for the various positions would be all over the place)

24 hours on, about -0.5s, so the hoped for good start (I'm sure that on a timegraph the results for the various positions would be all over the place)
    👍👍

The B&R has lost 1sec...

If I leave it for two consecutive days unworn it'll suddenly lose rather more, so I'm not getting carried away

It's a shame no one volunteered a two hander with no minute markers - it would be interesting seeing how long it took before the inaccuracy revealed itself.

I should have include my 1922 watch. That loses a couple of minutes a day

I don’t think I’ll have much chance of keeping this 2254 running for the duration but I set it yesterday and will have a good go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two entries from me.

1: (Quartz) Seiko 7A38 from 1986 with unknown service history
    2: (Mechanical >£1k) Offshore Professional from the Marine Chronometer Company. Tri-handed second hand is set using the fully black hand as the reference for this one.

Last edited by JohnnyE; 1st April 2019 at 14:06.

2254 still keeping time last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gen 2 is 0.2 seconds fast over 2 days according to Twixt.
    It’s looking promising...

BR is minus 2.5 at this stage; others doing okay ...

Last edited by JGJG; 2nd April 2019 at 22:41.

What's in the Bell and Ross, something 7001 based?