closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZ-UK British Summer Time timekeeping challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    What's in the Bell and Ross, something 7001 based?
    ETA 2895 (30 jewel, I think the 7001 is 17) and auto, with B&R oscillating weight etc. Movement untouched since purchase, coming on for a decade. Gains a little on the wrist, loses a little crown up. It would be a really accurate only watch... probably about +0.5spd
    Last edited by JGJG; 2nd April 2019 at 23:00.

-3spd for the Offshore and +-0 for the 33 year old 7A38!!

CWC G10 still bang on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Cheating a little, but I reset this today, since DST change 6 months ago and it had gained two seconds -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Cheating a little, but I reset this today, since DST change 6 months ago and it had gained two seconds -

Welcome along! Are we including the watch as 0 seconds offset as of today? (And you might let me know the model). Thanks!

-22.5s.

I promise never to use the flash again 🤢

Decided on three entries for the quartz cheap and cheerful category.

F91-W, CWC G10 and an Animal.

I think I may be taking this too seriously! I'm due to head into another time zone and as such do not want to take my GS as it'll involve disrupting the 'experiment'.

This is why all watches with a certain high level of accuracy should have independently-adjustable hour hands like on so many GMTs!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    This is why all watches with a certain high level of accuracy should have independently-adjustable hour hands like on so many GMTs!
    Amusingly, this watch has one of those:

Bear with me and I’ll update this a bit later. Kudos on the Animal ;)

Master
    I think I may be taking this too seriously! I'm due to head into another time zone and as such do not want to take my GS as it'll involve disrupting the 'experiment'.

Agreed sir. This is one bugbear of the 9F. To adjust for BST/GMT, you would have to hack the movement and hence lose the accuracy.

Hope you have a winder to keep the GS sweeping over..

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Leaderboard updated again at the top of the thread; busy couple of days so it'll probably be Sunday before the next update - keep em coming! :)

Still on time

Just checked my DW-5600-HR and it's half a second fast, in 5 days. That's not bad and if it keeps at that rate, will be at about 3 seconds for the month. We'll see.
    I'm unofficially running my Citizens which all contain the E168 movement. I've been wearing my diver and noticed it had jumped a second faster than the other two which are keeping in step with each other. Body heat, seems therefore to speed up that movement.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Agreed sir. This is one bugbear of the 9F. To adjust for BST/GMT, you would have to hack the movement and hence lose the accuracy.

Hope you have a winder to keep the GS sweeping over..

Fortunately the power reserve on the 041 is plenty for the very brief time away. Trouble is, it's grown on me so much nothing else is getting any wrist time! Might have to use this as an excuse to go to one of my much neglected others.

Does your quartz GMT with the 9f not have an independent hour hand? If not, that's crazy on their part. Actually, it's crazy for any of the 9f variants given just how ludicrously accurate they are.

Master
    Does your quartz GMT with the 9f not have an independent hour hand? If not, that's crazy on their part. Actually, it's crazy for any of the 9f variants given just how ludicrously accurate they are.
    Yup, they finally brought it back for the new 9F86 GMT calibre. The previous 8J movements had independent hour hand, which makes it all the more strange for GS to omit that functionality for the 9F.

Master
    I was hoping my new Eco-drive would turn up in time for this and it it has.

Admittedly it isn't one of THOSE Eco-drives but it is the only watch of mine that I know I can keep running until the end of the challenge.

So here is my entry for the quartz class, my Citizen BM8180-03E:

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    Last edited by Wimm; 4th April 2019 at 23:56.

Captured the time.is transition between 45/6 seconds:

Running a smidge over 1 second fast now, and that's after a little over 99 hours, so running at 0.25 seconds per day fast, as previously.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Yup, they finally brought it back for the new 9F86 GMT calibre. The previous 8J movements had independent hour hand, which makes it all the more strange for GS to omit that functionality for the 9F.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Electric entry. Hummer from 1970

Forgive me for being a bit late to the party as it took a little while to sort out my entry. I can't remember the exact details now, but at least 25 years ago, possibly more like 30, I was given this at a Renault open day organised with our car fleet department. It has spent the intervening years travelling from drawer to drawer, never quite making it as far as the 'items to be thrown out' pile.

Although I own a couple of HAQs, along with at least another two suitably accurate quartz beaters, I suddenly remembered that the last time I put a battery in this one I was surprised at how accurate it seemed to be.

Having decided to go with it as my entry the first obstacle to overcome was actually finding it, the next of course being to identify and source a suitable battery. However a root round the loft followed by a trip to the local Poundsaver and we're all good and ready to go.

Currently showing to within +/- 1s and I'd like to enter this in the Vintage Promotional Freebie (quartz) category please.

Full disclosure: I have never owned, nor aspired to own, a Renault Clio. (Or indeed any other Renault for that matter.)

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Electric entry. Hummer from 1970

Hmm, now that a hummer has entered the fray I might get my 3 tuning forks watches tuned up tonight. I have a feeling one keeps far better time than the other two.

Might just enter the one.

Hopefully not too late to enter my GS SD.

Ok, a couple of my hummers to add to the electronics.

Tricky to get them bang on as there's a delay to hack and delay to start again but think I have them each within less than 1 second so close enough.

Excellent to see a big flurry of entries this afternoon - I’ll get the board updated ASAP :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Ok, a couple of my hummers to add to the electronics.

Tricky to get them bang on as there's a delay to hack and delay to start again but think I have them each within less than 1 second so close enough.
    I'll say. That was doing my head in earlier. Plus it doesn't tick, it sweeps, so you have to take endless photos so that it gets the second bang on. Most of them were a fraction of a second. I might add my Omega like your's as well as I'm a glutton for punishment.

^ the initial offset doesn’t have to be 0.0, gents. I can allow for it :)

I’m loving the hummers... I’ll have a go with my Zenith / Allegro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Two entries from me.

1: (Quartz) Seiko 7A38 from 1986 with unknown service history
    2: (Mechanical >£1k) Offshore Professional from the Marine Chronometer Company. Tri-handed second hand is set using the fully black hand as the reference for this one.

The one on the left is nice, but the one on the right is really nice. I was over chatting with Darius (who built the right hand one) as he fettled the timing on my watch. He went through the full cosc spec with the final adjustment done in the crown down position. When I asked him why he said he knew that I wear my watch every day and when dangling on my wrist it'd be crown down. He also figured out I put it crown up on my bedside table (essentially so I don't have to turn head over toes when I'm half asleep) from my timing estimate verses the machine, so set the crown down as +1 sec to allow for the slightly slower running at night.

Edit: And the good thing is that I've already forgotten which of the 3 running seconds hands he was using!
    Last edited by LorneG; 5th April 2019 at 19:46.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another Hummer

Leaderboard updated again... couple of model number missing pls :)
    Last edited by JGJG; 5th April 2019 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Leaderboard updated again... couple of model number missing pls :)
    My spring drive is the SBGA001.

Cripes. My SBGA041 has managed to gain 0.25 seconds in a day. Perhaps a pre-bail is in order

- - - Updated - - -

Spring drive separately too as it's mechanical but rather beyond those, but also not quartz.
    Spring drive is quartz with a shit battery.

I may not be in front of my computer tomorrow, so I'll update today which is 6 days in. One second fast.

The 2254 is still running on time, I am much more aware of how I rest the watch at night now and as it’s not a daily wearer I have to make sure it gets enough power to keep running but I’m really impressed how easy it’s been so far.

The G10 is now about half a second fast, making its move between second changes on time.is.

Master
    Bang on.. as expected.

One day of not being worn undid the slight gain from six days' wear, leaving a net difference over the seven days of -1s

Day 8... GS still bang on

G-shock still absolutely bang on (which has surprised me, I’ve never had one this accurate)...

B&R has had some diffs after an unavoidable 45-hr lay up... haemorrhaging time at the tail end of its power reserve. Per spec, it probably should have stopped so at least that’s something.

Leaderboard updated :)

The Gen 2 is 0.3 seconds a day fast currently.
    Its 1.5 seconds fast over the past 6 days compared to Time IS.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 7th April 2019 at 11:22.

Anybody notice what I did?... I forgot to move the 7A38 to the summertime, so its been running an hour behind from my 1st shot. In the intetests of fairness, I'm NOT adjusting it. I'll leave it an hour behind so as not to be adjusting it again. So far?.... bang on the mark. 0s over the 6 day duration.

The Offshore Pro is -19 over 6 days, sticking at a consistent -3s per day.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Anybody notice what I did?... I forgot to move the 7A38 to the summertime, so its been running an hour behind from my 1st shot. In the intetests of fairness, I'm NOT adjusting it. I'll leave it an hour behind so as not to be adjusting it again. So far?.... bang on the mark. 0s over the 6 day duration.
    Ha!

But given the pedantry and nonsense elsewhere on the forum currently, I don’t see any reason not to re-set your watch for the hour, particularly given that you’ve reposted its current offset just now. We’re all reasonable ladies and gentlemen round these parts 🧐

Just over forty eight hours in and I had a quick check this afternoon. The new < 4p battery - from an assortment pack of 40 for £1.49 - was still pumping out the power, and equally surprising the timing was startlingly accurate. I had intended taking the photo on the turn of three o'clock but let it run on for a further minute in order to separate the second and minute hands. (That is two hands, not a shadow.)

Feeling a bit more comfortable now, so I'll just leave it quietly alone for a while. I might even go and have a browse on some classic car websites...

The 2254 still on the money and the G10 still around 0.5 secs

The Zenith has lost 7 seconds already, this surprised me as I presumed it would be a very accurate movement, I’ve only had it just under a year so have no idea of service history / battery change

I have to say I’m quite enjoying finding out a bit more about my watches’ timekeeping (thinking here about the mechanical in particular). After I was caught napping and it hit the buffers of power reserve at the weekend, I now have it dial up, and winding it every 24-36 hours. This is letting it gain c. 4spd so I’m hoping I can get it back into the running.

I never really considered watch position in terms of timekeeping before...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Welcome along! Are we including the watch as 0 seconds offset as of today? (And you might let me know the model). Thanks!
    Apologies for delayed response.
    Yep, 0secs as of that post date.
    It’s HAQ, SBGT241.

Can't take a photo this time, but after 10 days, +3 seconds.