closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Algarve

Craftsman

The Algarve

My wife and I are thinking about holidaying in the Algarve at the end of June this year.

We've never been so I'm looking for a recommendation re where to stay.

We are interested in:

Relaxing
    Swimming in the sea
    Snorkelling
    Paddleboarding
    Good food/wine

Ideally, we're looking for a quiet resort with a good beach. We've no interest in nightlife/pubs and want to avoid overly touristy areas like the plague (if that's possible?).

Thanks!

Master
    Portugal/Algarve is a lovely place-

I've been a few times but not in ten years or so, Found Vilamoura, Albufeira to busy and a bit hectic... also went to Alvor which was perfect, lovely beach, nice town, few bars and restaurants and close enough to towns like Portimao and Praia da Rocha.

Funny enough I'm off to Portugal this year in June but staying in Carvoeiro, supposed to be nice but have never visited or stayed there, fingers crossed...........

I don’t know about snorkelling, but Luz has a great beach, a decent coastal walk and a nice laid back feel, at least when we went one New Year. Lagos is nearby for anything that needs a larger town.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Portugal/Algarve is a lovely place-

I've been a few times but not in ten years or so, Found Vilamoura, Albufeira to busy and a bit hectic...
    Went to Albufeira last year on a stag do, it was absolute carnage for 4 days. Definitely one to avoid. Went with the mrs. about 10 years ago and it was great but now it's like Ibiza on acid even the old town was manic

Craftsman
    Yes definitely no Albufeira
    Last edited by Benji053; 29th March 2019 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    My wife and I are thinking about holidaying in the Algarve at the end of June this year.

We've never been so I'm looking for a recommendation re where to stay.

We are interested in:

Relaxing
    Swimming in the sea
    Snorkelling
    Paddleboarding
    Good food/wine

Ideally, we're looking for a quiet resort with a good beach. We've no interest in nightlife/pubs and want to avoid overly touristy areas like the plague (if that's possible?).

Thanks!
    If I may .
    I know you’ve mentioned the Algarve , but I’ve just returned from San Sebastián , east of Bilbao.
    I’ve always championed Palma as my favourite go to place in Spain but this place definitely trumps it in all regards.
    Stunning beaches, fairly quiet when you go, absolutely some of the best food you will ever eat ( more Michelin starred restaurants per person than anywhere else) , fabulous wines for peanuts and great scenery , things to do etc.
    Honestly couldn’t recommend it enough.

WRT 'no interest in nightlife/pubs and want to avoid overly touristy areas' there certainly are some areas within the Algarve that can provide that.

I'd suggest the area around Faro, specifically the Ria Formosa Natural Park as being a good place to fit your requirements. It's far more European than British tourism, there's plenty to see and do but you can make it as busy or quiet as you like. Great beaches that are probably the quietest in the Algarve, enough cafes/bars to satisfy and from what I've seen plenty of interesting snorkelling around the more rocky areas plus waters-ports availability.

R

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Head Lagos and west, Lus, Burgau and Porto de Mos or head to the hills above the coast. I like Sagres bur stay away from Villamoura, Albuferua etc.

Food, people are brilliant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Head Lagos and west, Lus, Burgau and Porto de Mos or head to the hills above the coast. I like Sagres bur stay away from Villamoura, Albuferua etc.

This

We go to Porto de Mos,Luz and Burgau every year.
    Lagos and Alvor great but a bit busier and have heard Sagres lovely but expensive.
    Bargau is quiet with great beaches and good food including one of the best Indian restaurants I have been to(The Spice Cottage)
    Forget Albufeira(hell hole) and Vilamoura(good for male groups of golfers) is very unauthentic.
    All IMO of course
    Last edited by Hood; 30th March 2019 at 02:32.

Alvor has a fantastic beach, and is a fairly small resort with loads of great places to eat.

Some great suggestions on here OP

My other half lived in Carvoero and Luz for about 15 years and its a great place BUT it was starting to get popular when she left to be with me. The town sq goes onto the beach which is a cove and there is normally a band or two in the summer months. There are alot of Brits ,German and Dutch people running various Bars and restaurants, she knows most of them

After mentioning this thread she has recommended the Silver Coast, Estoril for a real portugal holiday, this is where most of the portuguese go . Milfontes is really portuguese , stunning beaches Lisbon not far if you want a change. Eating out is normally cheaper here as well .

If you want to stick with Algarve I can recommend Silves this is inland from Portimao and is rich in history, very Portuguese but you will have to drive to the beach.

I loved my visits to Portugal when i was seeing my other half ,I used to leave work early on a Fri fly out and be sitting in the bar with a cold Sargres by 10 pm Happy memories

Were ever you decide its a great country with lovely people Enjoy

Journeyman
    Often travel to the Algarve, ( heading out in May / June) generally stay in a villa inland between Vilamoura and Faro. Don’t mind driving 1hr up / down the coast for day trips, enjoy visiting the small towns the more off the beaten track. But also enjoy Vilamoura, vale do lobo area during the day ( and too play golf)

Locals are always very welcoming and you can eat / drink (super bock my preference) cheaply staying away from the tourist areas.

Hire a car and you an explore easily

Quote Originally Posted by simonedgar View Post
    Hire a car and you an explore easily
    And inexpensively too. I hired a car out there earlier this month, it was a '19 Skoda Fabia and a weeks hire cost me 45 Euros, plus it sipped petrol.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Tavira, thank me later

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We have always loved Praia da Luz.

Craftsman
    My dad was Portuguese and from Portimao. My mum and he met after my mum had a nasty car accident and went to recooperate in Portimao. I think Praia da Rocha to be getting a bit more "drinky" over the years, but it is still a long way from a lads' haven. The beach can be pretty quiet if you turn right at the bottom of the stairs by the big fountain (look at satellite view). I have no idea why everyone appears to stay to one side. Even then, there's usually plenty of room. Lots of nice restaurants in the town.

Master
    The Algarve is mainly non touristy but the only drawback is that it is in the Atlantic Ocean and the water is always cold whereas the waters of Spain are in the Med and much more warmer.

Craftsman
    Another recommendation for Alvor - lovely little town with a great beach and nice restaurants. If you are into fishing, get out on a boat and bag some mackerel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Went to Albufeira last year on a stag do, it was absolute carnage for 4 days. Definitely one to avoid. Went with the mrs. about 10 years ago and it was great but now it's like Ibiza on acid even the old town was manic
    Time was when a stag do was a few pints in the local and a stripper...

Now it seems an opportunity by some to go and mess up an otherwise nice place abroad.

Toxic

Old man rant over ��
    Last edited by redmonaco; 1st April 2019 at 16:39.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the input folks. It's just what I was looking for and is very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    If I may .
    I know you’ve mentioned the Algarve , but I’ve just returned from San Sebastián , east of Bilbao.
    I’ve always championed Palma as my favourite go to place in Spain but this place definitely trumps it in all regards.
    Stunning beaches, fairly quiet when you go, absolutely some of the best food you will ever eat ( more Michelin starred restaurants per person than anywhere else) , fabulous wines for peanuts and great scenery , things to do etc.
    Honestly couldn’t recommend it enough.
    We've been twice and are going back in October, it's one of our favourite places in Europe:)

Master
    We've spent holidays in Praia de Luz probably 8 times and had a lovely time. There are no big resorts or high towers there, and it retains a small village feel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

Agree with this. Lagos is lovely, bit quierter, nice restaurants and if you fancy venturing away from the main beaches (and scrambling down some steep cliffs) you can enjoy isolated beaches.

The west coast / hills are worth venturing aswell if you have a car.

J

Craftsman
    We've booked flights to Faro and we're pretty much set on Lagos, just need to book the accommodation. We like that it's a decent size town with plenty of restaurants etc and it's close to some lovely beaches and nice cliff walks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Time was when a stag do was a few pints in the local and a stripper...

Now it seems an opportunity by some to go and mess up an otherwise nice place abroad.

Toxic

Old man rant over 🙂
    Toxic?? What are you on about?? We are all in our mud 40s and thought it would be a quietish few days away but it now caters for a far younger crowd, our hotel was even a madhouse full of kids kicking off 24/7. There wasn’t even anywhere quiet to go and eat. The old town used to be nice but we only went down once as it was just as crazy as the strip. So it wasn’t an opportunity to go and mess up a nice place abroad it’s already ruined but thanks for being so judgemental

Another vote for Alvor, nice chilled out place, certainly avoid Villamoura. Further west you go the less touristy it is, but of course longer transfers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Surfing/Paddleboard, there are some great beaches just past Sagres and up towards the lighthouse (can’t remember the name). Very basic facilities, but have hosted world championships before as the surf is so good.

Jon

Craftsman
    Could anyone recommend a good shuttle/transfer service to use from Faro?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Could anyone recommend a good shuttle/transfer service to use from Faro?
    I used the following site when over last year. The guy was waiting at airport with my name on a card, then same guy collected us for an early flight about 6am and was there early. Would happily use again myself.

https://www.algarserra.com/

Master
    I have a place in a quite part of Vilamoura overlooking the 13th Tee of the Pinhal course.

At least I think it's quiet - I've not been there since I last took a holiday. That was in 2017 and was just for the weekend ( Note to self - sort out work/life balance)

Anyway to answer the transport question , I used to take a taxi ( man a airport with name on sign etc) but it was 40euros each way - more if in the middle of the night. I suspect it would be at least double that to Lagos which is a good bit further down the coast

My son (who is a CA and even meaner than am) found these people

https://www.faroshuttlebus.com/

I used them the last time I was over and it was 8euros pp each way. You may have to hang about at the airport for 10 mins or so whilst they herd the minibus passengers together but it's no big deal.

I've just done a random quote for Faro - Lagos and got 15 euro pp each way

Enjoy your holiday
    Last edited by stiglet; 4th April 2019 at 10:06. Reason: to fix link

Craftsman
    Cheers guys. The going rate for a shared shuttle bus return for the two of us is around €60 and a taxi is around €130. Think I may look at renting a car.

Master
    Good call

I did that on my first (extended) Algarve holiday and explored the coast from Faro down to Sagres, including most of the places mentioned on this thread - recommended

Blog Entries
    We booked a small car through Expedia - £27 for the week! The provider try their damnedest to add extra insurance - but if you stick firm and ignore their threats it’s very cheap. Pick up from airport.

Additional multi-trip insurance can be bought for an extra few quid that is for a year - including hires in UK and abroad https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/

hope that helps