closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone pitch in for a Hamtun H2 on kickstarter?

I've sent an email asking for a refund now.

The comments on the Kickstarter are pretty eye-opening. I mean, I get that very few people are going to leave a comment if they're 100% happy, but so far I've seen people reporting issues with bezels (bearings missing, lume splotches), the date window thing as mentioned above, the bracelets being even worse for screws falling out (I'm still waiting on the spare screws Ross promised me for my H1 two years ago), and the clasps not closing properly and rattling. Given all that, and that I appear to be the last person waiting for an NH35 movement watch, despite living 2 miles from him, I've asked for a refund.

Given that I emailed him though, I don't expect he'll actually see it or reply.

Master
    This sounds like the infamous Olivier Bronze debacle where I paid for a watch that just never showed up.
    Run away people, just run.

I'd avoid asking for a refund purely because the watches are currently selling on eBay for a decent mark-up from the Kickstarter price. You've already waited a year so what's another few months for a little profit :-)
    Ross really needs to get his act together if he's going to make any more watches though.

Of course there's always the other option of joining all the Facebook microbrand watch groups and mentioning your missing Kraken on all the threads where he's shilling his new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I'd avoid asking for a refund purely because the watches are currently selling on eBay for a decent mark-up from the Kickstarter price. You've already waited a year so what's another few months for a little profit :-)
    Ross really needs to get his act together if he's going to make any more watches though.
    That's gambling on:

a) receiving a watch with no issues as listed above (apparently lots are missing warranty cards as well)
    b) the bubble not bursting and still being able to sell above asking
    c) ebay, PayPal and postage fees not taking away all that profit

TBH, I'd rather just have my £350 back and put it toward something nice in SC.

He's getting crankier and crankier in replying to the comments on the Kickstarter page. No-one's even raised the issue of him taking on even more work despite a lot of people still with outstanding orders yet. He's complaining that people are emailing as well as commenting - well yeah, when you email five times and zero response, yet see people's comments are getting answered, what are you going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    He's getting crankier and crankier in replying to the comments on the Kickstarter page. No-one's even raised the issue of him taking on even more work despite a lot of people still with outstanding orders yet. He's complaining that people are emailing as well as commenting - well yeah, when you email five times and zero response, yet see people's comments are getting answered, what are you going to do?
    I just went for a look and yes he's certainly taking some stick in there now! Makes a change from a few months ago when some sort of weird hardcore Kickstarter/Hamtun fanboy gang would have a pop at anyone who dared to ask when their watch was going to arrive.

Craftsman
    He definitely spends too much time in the comments section, and it's only going to cause him stress and take time away from running the actual business.

I pitched for a few Kickstarter watches last year, and none of the others were getting into the weeds in the comments section like that.

I feel sorry for him through, you'd ideally want to build a business gradually and lead up to something on this kind of scale, and this one blew up before he was ready I think.

My (uninformed) guess would be he's trying to run this business alongside a full-time career, which is fine when it's hobby-scale, but this has really grown legs and he's evidently not outsourcing the right stuff, alongside diversifying at exactly the wrong moment and in the wrong direction (cheaper / volume-orientated).

The sad thing is this will almost certainly follow the usual trajectory and implode due to stress and loss of credibility. I hope not.

Journeyman
    I was one of them who told people to be patient and just wait. However, having emailed him and commented about the date wheel I have received no reply. The clasp is also as described, rattles and really lets the watch down. My sellita runs between 12-18 + secs every day, whilst within limits, he did state on his page -+ 7 secs.

Beginning to wish I had just bought a used decent watch.

Richy

Apprentice
    He's posted a bit about how overwhelmed he is with no employees but also about how he should have launched more models. My concern would be that with £400k from kickstarter £55k from indigogo on the H2 alone, then there's the Nanook on top, there's a lot of unfinished business floating around along with a lot of unsecured cash (and he's set himself up as the supplier to another company).

This is from the Hamtun.co website

Great watches. Great prices. No bullshit.

Craftsman
    I get the sense that Ross is a passionate guy who loves watches but he's not cut out for this.

A few backers have given him sound and kind-hearted advice but he's still not listening. He takes every comment as harassment. All he really needs to do is write a couple of very clear sentences, keeping people informed every couple of days.

I am one of the Indiegogo backers. We haven't heard anything for months but on 18th Feb he posted an update to say shipping is about to follow. No mention of any estimated shipping date but ok, it's a status update of sorts. It's been 8 days and not another word. I would expect to get at least another update, even to say 'Still not ready due to blah blah, appreciate your patience. Will let you know asap when shipping begins'.

I will not get another Hamtun unless customer service is drastically improved.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    My (uninformed) guess would be he's trying to run this business alongside a full-time career, which is fine when it's hobby-scale, but this has really grown legs and he's evidently not outsourcing the right stuff, alongside diversifying at exactly the wrong moment and in the wrong direction (cheaper / volume-orientated).

The sad thing is this will almost certainly follow the usual trajectory and implode due to stress and loss of credibility. I hope not.
    What's strange is I thought he was going in the other direction. There was this Basilisk brand which was going to be a lower volume higher price point version of Hamtun, using better materials, finishing etc. Instead he's gone down the low cost high volume route, which as you say is exactly what he doesn't need.

Shame because I think he's sincere and I had high hopes for this one.

Apprentice
    I've sent an email asking for a refund now.

The comments on the Kickstarter are pretty eye-opening. I mean, I get that very few people are going to leave a comment if they're 100% happy, but so far I've seen people reporting issues with bezels (bearings missing, lume splotches), the date window thing as mentioned above, the bracelets being even worse for screws falling out (I'm still waiting on the spare screws Ross promised me for my H1 two years ago), and the clasps not closing properly and rattling. Given all that, and that I appear to be the last person waiting for an NH35 movement watch, despite living 2 miles from him, I've asked for a refund.

Given that I emailed him though, I don't expect he'll actually see it or reply.
    Did you get anywhere with the refund? I've still not received the watch and he only seems to reply to some backers

Quote Originally Posted by scottydod View Post
    Did you get anywhere with the refund? I've still not received the watch and he only seems to reply to some backers
    I did - I basically had to hound him in the comments section of the Kickstarter and over email. Took a few weeks, but he eventually got round to it, while making sure I knew it was his perogative to issue the refund etc.

Such a shame, because I really like my two H1s, and the new GMT he has coming out looks lovely - and I've been looking for a GMT.

I gave-up on even trying to buy one. Seems to be a common problem with the one-man-bands - they all think they're doing you a favour selling you things and are happy to let you know it! Which would be fine (for them) if there weren't literally thousands of other sources of similar temptation who don't treat customers like irritants...

Master
    is this weird beastie anything to do with this Ross gentleman,i own it but know nowt about it apart from it was a kickstarter watch?..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scottydod View Post
    I found that if you email him you get a automatic reply with a case number. If you spam that case number in the Kickstarter comments he will eventually sort it.

Craftsman
    I bought one with a Sellita movement and black dial. Unfortunately, I was tempted by a Tudor BB GMT whilst I was waiting for the thing to be delivered and I forgot I'd paid for the Hamtun. So I think I will look to move it on because it's a black dial watch with a rotating bezel and it's too similar to the GMT. From the brief time I've played with the watch, it seems pretty good.

It's a shame because I like the idea of encouraging small businesses, I like what Hamtun are doing and the product seems pretty good (appreciate others have had worse experiences with their watches). Had the campaign given me regular updates ( by which I mean at least monthly ) and the watch arrived when he said it would, I would have paid £50 more on Kickstarter and been satisfied with the whole transaction.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    is this weird beastie anything to do with this Ross gentleman,i own it but know nowt about it apart from it was a kickstarter watch?..
    Looks like something Bolido would make.

Craftsman
    I have the Hamtun Nanok and the Hamtun Kraken H2. Both excellent watches.

The clasp on the Nanok is identical to the ratcheting clasp that Eddie had on the mark 1 Everest 36mm, so I think they must both be using the same factory for their supply of watches. Needless to say the Hamtun quality is excellent, just like it is for Timefactors ...

Banned
    The good news is that once the rattly clasp is replaced the bracelet itself works fine.

I wasn't sure if Ross would be able to deliver a titanium ratcheting clasp so I had a stainless steel one ordered in and and it works a treat - it ratchets and once closed no rattles at all (it's good to confirm that the bracelet itself isn't rattly - just the current clasp).

So hopefully once Ross gets the titanium ones out to everyone it'll be a good end to this saga :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Looks like something Bolido would make.
    pic of the case back..

pic of the case back..
    Guessing it was a short-lived micro. Nothing of that name and description showing on google.

Master
    pic of the case back..
    I think this may help you (a bit) https://www.watchpro.com/ex-peers-ha...w-watch-brand/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    thanks,i now know a little more about it

Apprentice
    I did - I basically had to hound him in the comments section of the Kickstarter and over email. Took a few weeks, but he eventually got round to it, while making sure I knew it was his perogative to issue the refund etc.

Such a shame, because I really like my two H1s, and the new GMT he has coming out looks lovely - and I've been looking for a GMT.
    Thanks. Ironically it's arrived. Turns out it was at the PO, they'd tried to deliver but didn't postcard it so I didn't know to pick it up. He posted it right out and very pleased with it

Apprentice
    I bought one, bracelet had a lot of blemishes, clasp was very poor and the rubber strap was very rigid, wearing it on one of my own straps as I didn’t want the frustration of dealing with him any further after seeing how he handles customers. He avoids giving answers like a politician Which really puts me off him.