closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone pitch in for a Hamtun H2 on kickstarter?

Banned

Anyone pitch in for a Hamtun H2 on kickstarter?

I had previously had a "no watches for 2019" resolution... that disappeared when I saw the meteorite dialled Hamtun H2. Seeing as they are a British based company might there be other posters here who put an order in for one?

I'm sure I've seen then mentioned. Good looking watch and the owner is local to me.

I've not gone in, but am very tempted by the turquoise if that won the vote.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    I'm sure I've seen then mentioned. Good looking watch and the owner is local to me.

I've not gone in, but am very tempted by the turquoise if that won the vote.
    The final colour choices for backers will be:
    Black
    White
    Dark blue
    Meteorite
    Light blue (turquoise)
    Yellow

I've never used Kickstarter before, but I've pledged for 1 watch with a sellita movement.
    I'm thinking of going for the dark blue with some extra bezels in black and titanium

yes, ive signed up, honest approach to a decently specced and reviewed watch. With the various add ons now included its even better value and the meteorite dial will be unusual (for me). Do I need wnother diver, of course not!
    Keith

I had an H1 ,I chose the black out option,so was a bit hard to read,but decent build quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I had an H1 ,I chose the black out option,so was a bit hard to read,but decent build quality.

Ah the "stealth" version right? You could just have an empty wrist and say that you've got an invisible watch :D - was it lumed in black lume or can it be read in the evenings?

Craftsman
    I'm in for the white dial version with black bezel, with the Sellita upgrade. Actually went to see the two prototype watches (the ones that are doing the reviewer rounds) over at the Hamtun office in Southampton a few weeks back, and spent a very pleasant hour chatting to Ross.

I'm also in for the Nanok Day Date, which is due to ship in May. I think I'm actually more excited about that one than the Kraken, and I love the Kraken !

Incidentally, I built a one pager based on the renders that Javier Hernandez posted in the Kraken Kickstarter comments thread. Posting it below in case anyone finds it useful in selecting their dial/bezel options :

Last edited by 459GMB; 29th March 2019 at 21:19.

Banned
    Sounds good - it'll be my first kickstarter funded watch but the feeling I'm getting is that Hamtun are a bit more professional/less risky than your average fly by night kickstarter operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagullfan View Post
    Ah the "stealth" version right? You could just have an empty wrist and say that you've got an invisible watch :D - was it lumed in black lume or can it be read in the evenings?
    Don’t think it had any lume,if I didn’t have too many at the minute I’d of signed up

Banned
    I'm sure we'll be sure to post up photos once we get them in hand.

Apprentice
    I wish I could afford a three pack to get white, black and blue ones

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I'm in for the white dial version with black bezel, with the Sellita upgrade. Actually went to see the two prototype watches (the ones that are doing the reviewer rounds) over at the Hamtun office in Southampton a few weeks back, and spent a very pleasant hour chatting to Ross.
    He does exist then? He's promised to meet up with me on a few occasions now, and always disappeared from contact before arranging an actual time.

I really wanted to get a hands on with a prototype for one of these, he never got back to me. He's also promised spare screws for my H1 bracelet, and replacement clasp for the rubber straps, neither of which have materialised.

I do like the look of the H2, but was on the fence about the meteorite dial. I'm sure if I'd have a chance to see it in the flesh that would have helped me decide. As it is, I've ordered a base model one, not sure on colour yet. Again, I'd love the chance to have a look before I decide, and I'm local. I've also already got two of his watches!
    Last edited by HenPecked; 2nd April 2019 at 16:47.

Banned
    For those who want to see meteorite goodness - here's a video of a ring designer creating a ring made of Muonionalusta meteorite (the same as the H2 meteorite dials) - including how the material is cut, ground and re-etched with acid to bring out the Widmanstätten patterns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rbqJ1eXV8

Interesting to note that the ring piece was magnetic enough to be picked up with a iron/nickel/cobalt rod - hopefully the dials in our watches are thin enough that they won't affect the movement :D

Master

Hamtun

Did anyone buy a Hamtun in the end? What are they like?

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

Yeah, nothing as yet. A few updates here and there but no sign of the watch.

Craftsman
    I think the date for shipping was originally estimated (by Ross) at end of September.

The Nanok was due May and in the end shipped late July, so I'd think that the Kraken H2 would be similar, maybe even later due to the enhanced size and scope of the project.

Based on the Nanok, it will be worth waiting for !

Master
    Thanks for the info. At this price, I can’t see much competition for the H2: an affordable, titanium diver with an automatic movement. What else is like this?

Both the Seiko Shogun and Steinhart Ocean Titanium cost more than the H2. I think some of Citizen’s Promaster range are automatic in titanium too, but is there anything else?

It took more than long enough but my Hamtun finally arrived today:

I'm actually quite impressed to be honest - a proper bargain for £230.

I like that very much indeed!

I’m hoping to get in on the second run.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    It took more than long enough but my Hamtun finally arrived today:

I'm actually quite impressed to be honest - a proper bargain for £230.
    Nice. I've got a yellow dial on its way although no sign of shipping yet. Getting bored of the wait but still excited for it! What are your thoughts so far?

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Nice. I've got a yellow dial on its way although no sign of shipping yet. Getting bored of the wait but still excited for it! What are your thoughts so far?
    It's really pretty decent for the £230 I paid. If I'm going to be fussy I'd say the clasp is a bit tinny and end link fit is fairly poor. Very impressed with the head though.

Mine arrived today! Did you order any extras with yours at all? I’d ordered a second bezel at extra money but that hasn’t arrived in the package. Just wondering if that’s just a time thing or if I need to be in touch with them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Does look very nice for £230. Sorry to hear about the bracelet but it would rock a blue NATO.

Craftsman
    I did back this one but in the end backed out after all the delays and got a refund.

It looked great though, slightly disappointed I won't get to actually see one in the flesh after all that waiting.

Had a real mixed bag with Kickstarters last year, it was a fun experiment and got some good and some bad experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    I did back this one but in the end backed out after all the delays and got a refund.

It looked great though, slightly disappointed I won't get to actually see one in the flesh after all that waiting.

Had a real mixed bag with Kickstarters last year, it was a fun experiment and got some good and some bad experiences.
    I'm considering backing out on mine. At least I would if I could rely on getting a refund for it. The chap who's running this just simply doesn't reply.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I'm considering backing out on mine. At least I would if I could rely on getting a refund for it. The chap who's running this just simply doesn't reply.
    Yeah certainly not to emails.

I did find though that if you send an email, get a ref #, then chase him up in the comments on KS he was pretty responsive.

For what it's worth, I think he's genuine and it seems to be a good product from what I've seen that's been delivered so far. Just think this project ran away from him. I'll still be looking out for what he does next.

Still wearing mine. Quick word of warning for anyone else who bought one - check all the bracelet screws. Most of mine were loose and one was on the point of disappearing.

Still wearing mine. Quick word of warning for anyone else who bought one - check all the bracelet screws. Most of mine were loose and one was on the point of disappearing.
    He's gone back to screws on the bracelet?

Time to break out the thread lock again...

Journeyman
    Ross has put a mobile number on KS to be able to WhatsApp him. Received mine with a Sellita and it looks fab. Screws on the bracelet did need tightening yes!!

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Obligatory pics

If any disaffected owners want to move-on a yellow dial/black bezel example - feel free to PM!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by behappier View Post
    Obligatory pics

That's a beauty. What's the bezel like in the end? That was one of the big reasons for the delay from memory.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    That's a beauty. What's the bezel like in the end? That was one of the big reasons for the delay from memory.
    It is a 60 click ball-bearing bezel with very positive action and the tiniest bit of back play before settling into position. I am not a bezel fanatic but it is very nice

Craftsman
    There's one for sale on eBay today ... NH35 white dial, with the titanium bezel option.

Not mine ... :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hamtun-H2...wAAOSwXc1eOIuv

Craftsman
    The white dial version looks superb on the supplied rubber strap btw.

Apprentice
    I'm still waiting for one of the meteorite ones, getting a bit impatient now

Oooh. Now *that's* an email...

Quote Originally Posted by scottydod View Post
    I'm still waiting for one of the meteorite ones, getting a bit impatient now
    Any luck yet?

Oooh. Now *that's* an email...
    ?

Apprentice
    Any luck yet?

?
    No. I was in for a black bezel meteorite. It appears he's had two boxes of those go missing. Not sure when I'll get it.

I also have one of the original H1 which is why In went for this. It looks like the success of this project has really stretched him and communication on the deliveries has been a bit of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by scottydod View Post
    No. I was in for a black bezel meteorite. It appears he's had two boxes of those go missing. Not sure when I'll get it.

I also have one of the original H1 which is why In went for this. It looks like the success of this project has really stretched him and communication on the deliveries has been a bit of a challenge.
    So why not:

1. Hire more people to aid production.

or

2. Limit numbers to that which can be fulfilled by one person.

Isn't that how all businesses work?

So why not:

1. Hire more people to aid production.

or

2. Limit numbers to that which can be fulfilled by one person.

Isn't that how all businesses work?
    And this is why I didn't come in for the H2 having endured the wait for the H1 - it seems the issues with the manufacturers and assembly/delivery/issue resolution are still present to varying degrees even after the Neon and Nanok.

I should say, Ross was very good in resolving my issues with the H1 but it sounds like he still needs more help with the communications side of the business.
    Last edited by Gromdal; 13th February 2020 at 13:18.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by behappier View Post
    Obligatory pics

Behapppier don't know if its just me, but I read one of the posts on kickstarter re seeing part of the wheel for the date. I just checked mine and there is a small black line to the right, which is not a shadow but the black on the wheel being slightly visible. Looking at your pictures, does yours show too?

Richy

Still not got mine. Maybe it's a weird variant - I've asked for yellow dial, blue bezel, blue rubber.

Apprentice
    Still not got mine. Maybe it's a weird variant - I've asked for yellow dial, blue bezel, blue rubber.
    Ross is currently running the supply chain for Phantom watches on kickstarter, it appears that there is an element of chasing after the next thing rather than squaring things away first.

Quote Originally Posted by nod_ View Post
    Ross is currently running the supply chain for Phantom watches on kickstarter, it appears that there is an element of chasing after the next thing rather than squaring things away first.
    Sorry, he's taken on MORE work, despite his plea last week to be patient because he's "absolutely drowning" with trying to keep up with his own builds?

Apprentice
    Sorry, he's taken on MORE work, despite his plea last week to be patient because he's "absolutely drowning" with trying to keep up with his own builds?
    Yep. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ritish-watches and click on the British Watches logo. There was a "just one more watch" youtube video on Phantom and in typical not quite finished fashion, the phantom website now goes straight to the kickstarter campaign so there's a kind of disconnect between what is concrete and available compared to the aspirations on kickstarter.

Time management seems to be an issue with the original Hamtun company and seems to have percolated to Phantom, which though they are supposed to be two different companies, is using Hamtun's reviews to sell the second company's starting offering.

Apprentice
    Aye, that isn't ideal

Still waiting for mine, black bezel, meteorite dial