closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: RedBar?

Master

RedBar?

Up until last week I'd never heard of the RedBar Group, billed as the world's largest watch enthusiast and collector community I'm guessing TZ-UK has its fair share of membership.

Is it as good as the influencers have led me to believe or is it best avoided?

It'll be the same as the Masons. A group dedicated to getting you to the top of the waiting list, provided that you roll your trousers up and pull a silly face whilst shaking hands.

I joined last week, got a phone call from Goldsmiths the next day 😂😂😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It'll be the same as the Masons. A group dedicated to getting you to the top of the waiting list, provided that you roll your trousers up and pull a silly face whilst shaking hands.

I joined last week, got a phone call from Goldsmiths the next day
    An interesting proposition but from what I've heard they're more of a Grand Seiko Trojan Horse style sleeper cell
    Last edited by MST; 27th March 2019 at 20:25.

I’m a member of RedBar London. Been to some great events and seen some interesting watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    ^ I registered for RedBar London a few days ago and received the invitation email for the London event on 3rd April, but unfortunately by the time I'd finished dithering it was full to capacity.

Craftsman
    Also a member of RedBar London...great events, attended by full on watch enthusiasts (who bring along a mixed bag of characters, and watches!)...lately the events have been held at various watch boutiques - Seiko, Bremont, Omega - with the hosts playing their part nicely.

Journeyman
    Signed up, but never made it to an event. They happen fairly regularly though.

Adam Craniotes, one of the co-founders of RedBar, is/was a member on here also.

Not sure how I personally feel about them - on the one hand this can be quite a solitary interest, so like-minded souls are welcome, but on the other hand, seeing my watches being pawed by strangers might set my teeth on edge. I appreciate that's my problem however, not theirs, and overall they seem like fun, so good luck to them.

Member of redbar Glasgow/Edinburgh.I understand the previous comments but my experience has been very positive. Very friendly, no snobbish behaviour and interesting people to chat to.The organised events with AD'S have been great and the informal get together's have been interesting.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Adam here... (Yes, I still lurk, though I don't post as much as I used to.)

Hopefully you'll give the London lads a shot, as they're doing an absolutely bang up job of carrying the RedBar torch in Ol' Blighty. As for what "carrying the torch" means, at least to me, it's ensuring that everyone feels welcome and that snobbery of any sort isn't tolerated. Collectors of all stripes are welcome and the same goes for their watches (save for Invictas, which are trash). Indeed, I spent many years in this hobby on the outside looking in, and was even deemed unworthy to be a member of a certain group founded by some notable NYC-based collectors. When RedBar took off, I vowed that we'd never turn anyone away because they didn't have the "right" sort of pieces in their stable. (Again, except for Invicta).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that there are folks on the forum who've had a good time at our events, and for my part I hope to get out to your neck of the woods again soon. As someone who was raised by a raving anglophile – my mother – and fed a steady diet of Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served, Waiting For God, etc during my formative years, I feel a kinship toward England that I can't say I do toward any other country aside from my own (current administration notwithstanding, but that's another story).

Cheers!

Regards,
    Adam

Craftsman
    I'm a member of the RedBar Edinburgh/Glasgow setup and been along to a few events. I guess your experience will come down to what type of characters turn up. Speaking for the Scottish contingent only, they've been really fun evenings with a decent bunch of folk.

Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    Adam here... (Yes, I still lurk, though I don't post as much as I used to.)

Hopefully you'll give the London lads a shot, as they're doing an absolutely bang up job of carrying the RedBar torch in Ol' Blighty. As for what "carrying the torch" means, at least to me, it's ensuring that everyone feels welcome and that snobbery of any sort isn't tolerated. Collectors of all stripes are welcome and the same goes for their watches (save for Invictas, which are trash). Indeed, I spent many years in this hobby on the outside looking in, and was even deemed unworthy to be a member of a certain group founded by some notable NYC-based collectors. When RedBar took off, I vowed that we'd never turn anyone away because they didn't have the "right" sort of pieces in their stable. (Again, except for Invicta).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that there are folks on the forum who've had a good time at our events, and for my part I hope to get out to your neck of the woods again soon. As someone who was raised by a raving anglophile – my mother – and fed a steady diet of Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served, Waiting For God, etc during my formative years, I feel a kinship toward England that I can't say I do toward any other country aside from my own (current administration notwithstanding, but that's another story).

Cheers!

Regards,
    Adam
    Cheers Adam! Hope to see you here sometime soon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
    Cheers Adam! Hope to see you here sometime soon.
    Likewise. Just wish it was a bit cheaper to get my arse out there. ;-)

Regards,
    Adam

Glasgow member, all very positive North of the border.
    Usual.

Journeyman
    I’m a member of RedBar Toronto in Canada and the get togethers are an excellent way to meet like minded down to earth individuals. I’ve met some great people who have become close friends.

It is a great way to get a hands on experience with some very nice watches I would otherwise not have access to. Also the knowledge of some of the other members is invaluable.

Master
    Well it's very reassuring to see so many positive replies from RedBar members from all over the world, and it's good to hear that Adam (craniotes) still keeps his hand in here on TZ-UK.

Availability permitting I will endeavour to make it to the next London event, and hope to see some of you there!

I'd be interested in the next London event, how do I go about joining?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I'd be interested in the next London event, how do I go about joining?
    I signed up here. The next one is on 3rd April but is, unfortunately, full to capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    I signed up here. The next one is on 3rd April but is, unfortunately, full to capacity.
    Thanks. That's OK, I'm not free then anyway but look forward to the next one.

Craftsman
    Is there no option for us middle Englanders? Would love to come to one but both London and Edinburgh are a bit far!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Is there no option for us middle Englanders? Would love to come to one but both London and Edinburgh are a bit far!

Maybe talk to Mr. Craniotes about starting your own chapter if there is enough interest/enthusiasm in your area.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Thanks. That's OK, I'm not free then anyway but look forward to the next one.
    Me neither, I have a somewhat exotic (see chaotic) work/life balance. I'm keen to get along sooner or later though.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Me neither, I have a somewhat exotic (see chaotic) work/life balance. I'm keen to get along sooner or later though.
    I know what you mean re work/life balance!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ntfromto View Post
    Maybe talk to Mr. Craniotes about starting your own chapter if there is enough interest/enthusiasm in your area.
    Potentially a good idea in the future,but it might be best for me to attend one or two before I figure out whether I like attending, never mind running one!

Ah, the old chicken and egg.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Potentially a good idea in the future,but it might be best for me to attend one or two before I figure out whether I like attending, never mind running one!

Ah, the old chicken and egg.

Fair enough and I say egg

Craftsman
    Sorry to revive this old post. I'd like to get on a Redbar London event or two if possible. Anyone willing to be a referring member for my membership request? I've been on this forum for a few years and made about 400 posts but i'm most active on instagram. Thanks