closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Torch Advice

Torch Advice

Can anyone recommend to me a long throw, narrow beam, torch? Ideally, running 18650 batteries, and this side of £100 would be preferable, but not essential. I already have a BLF Q8 for flood usage, but could do with something with the extra reach. I'd sacrifice quality over power as it's for occasional use. That said, i'll stretch the budget for a standout model. Size is not an issue.

Thanks

Gary

Something like the Ledlenser P7 might do. It has a focus system so can go from flood to beam.

https://www.ledlenser.com/uk/product...s/p-series/p7/

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Something like the Ledlenser P7 might do. It has a focus system so can go from flood to beam.

https://www.ledlenser.com/uk/product...s/p-series/p7/

I have one of those already. Great torch for it's size, but I'm looking for something with considerably more oomph...

Master
    Olight Javelot makes a good single 18650 thrower, although maybe a bit dated now..

https://olightworld.com/olight-m2x-ut-javelot

not sure where to buy in the UK.

Otherwise search BLF and ask there as everyday there's anew best light on the market!

For a cheap(ish) single 18650 thrower look at the Lumintop BLF GT mini.

Craftsman
    Torchdirect.co.uk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    I have one of those already. Great torch for it's size, but I'm looking for something with considerably more oomph...
    P7R then? 1000 lumens vs 450 on the P7 should do the trick.

Master
    Led Lenser MT10.

Take a look at the Thrunite Catapult V6 (review link) or the WowTac A4 (review link).

They have similar outputs, the main difference being that the former uses a 26650 battery rechargeable with the supplied micro-USB cable and the latter using 2 x 18650s that have to be removed to be charged.

The reviews linked above include a video and here are a couple more...Wowtac A4...Thrunite Catapult V6.

If you like what you see and want one, you'll probably end up buying it on eBay from hkequipmentex.

Edit See also this YouTube video...Thrower Throw Down. This chap brings up some of the relevant parameters, eg colour temperature and time available at max output, that may be relevant to your choice, depending upon your intended application.
    Last edited by PickleB; 27th March 2019 at 22:44.

Master
    The Catapult is a good call, been looking at that one myself.

What is the fascination with LED Lenser? Why do people like them so much ?

Check out the Fenix range of lights.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Led Lenser MT10.

This. I sell torches and this, or its i18r equivalent, is a phenomenal piece of kit. Not cheap, if you want one I can do £150 delivered.

Also check out the F1R, a tiny torch that packs 1000 lum, good for someone that needs big blasts for a short time in a tiny package. Not focusable tho.

https://www.ledlenser.com/uk/product.../f-series/f1r/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post

For me I like LED Lenser because they work and are dependable.
    Mine get used for search and rescueb and I need something that I can trust.
    It helps we get a good discount on them but before that I was paying the rrp on them.
    I really like the flood to spot adjustment my current preferred combo is the MT10 with the MH10 one on flood and one on spot illuminates an area pretty well.
    I’ve moved over to only using 18650 batteries in my torches now which limits my options but it makes things easier as I’ve a pile of them.

I’ve got a Fenix headtorch to try out at some point but it’s been on the shelf for a couple of months so far.

Craftsman
    have a look at an Olight s30r...or if a headtorch Ledlenser h14.2r...this is my night time hunting torch,,,very dependable
    Last edited by subzeer0; 28th March 2019 at 08:59.

Thanks for all the advice chaps. Hard to look past the Thrunite V6 as a combination of price, size and performance.

Gary

Master
    If you want to splash out, I can recommend the Lumintop BLF GT for the ultimate Throw in LED lighting.

http://www.lumintop.com/blfgt.html

It really isn't practical, it's big, and heavy, but will throw light over a mile!

You also have to factor in 8 x 18650 into the cost and chargers, and maybe a carry bag too.

If you want to splash out, I can recommend the Lumintop BLF GT for the ultimate Throw in LED lighting.

http://www.lumintop.com/blfgt.html

It really isn't practical, it's big, and heavy, but will throw light over a mile!

You also have to factor in 8 x 18650 into the cost and chargers, and maybe a carry bag too.
    But the OP might like the Mini version. Links for a review, a YouTube video and a seller.
    Last edited by PickleB; 28th March 2019 at 10:58. Reason: change video

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    But the OP might like the Mini version. Links for a review, a YouTube video and a seller.
    Yep I think so, hence suggesting it in post 4.

I'm going to have to get a mini GT and a Micro GT so I have the complete set !

I know that I'm tempted to buy one. It has the ramping interface like the BLF Q8...with a lockout option...plus I have a spare high current 18650 laying around and also a 18350. If Banggood had the cool white version in stock I would have ordered it, but they only have the normal white at the moment. Without some indication of the colour temperature I prefer to wait (I'd like something >= 5000 K).

LED Lenser have a very good marketing and distribution network, so it's the only brand that many people will have heard of.

They are not especially well respected in the "flashlight" community - have a look at somewhere like CandlePowerForums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php) and you'll find that there are many, many far better torches for the money.

Yep I think so, hence suggesting it in post 4.

I'm going to have to get a mini GT and a Micro GT so I have the complete set !
    So you did...I missed that.

If you're going for the set, does that mean you have the full size BLF GT? I might join you with both the mini and the micro, but I can't justify the original...even to myself.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've recently picked up a Lumintop ODL20C from Massdrop. It's an excellent thrower, USB type C rechargeable. It's runs on 26650 lithiums but comes with a sleeve to allow it to accept 18650s.
    There's a good review here.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-TypeC-by-Lock

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    LED Lenser have a very good marketing and distribution network, so it's the only brand that many people will have heard of.

They are not especially well respected in the "flashlight" community - have a look at somewhere like CandlePowerForums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php) and you'll find that there are many, many far better torches for the money.
    I think maybe also due to ease of purchase, and as you say good marketing and distribution network they are the first LED lights that most general public see and are impressed by, then word of mouth helps.

I've been a CPF member since 2006. Not so active now a days, tend to spend more time on BLF.

Master
    So you did...I missed that.

If you're going for the set, does that mean you have the full size BLF GT? I might join you with both the mini and the micro, but I can't justify the original...even to myself.
    Yes I have the full size BLF GT. I was in on it from the start, amazing project to see develop. I couldn't buy one now. But was lucky to get in on the early bird offer for the first 500 sold via BLF.

Yes I have the full size BLF GT. I was in on it from the start, amazing project to see develop. I couldn't buy one now. But was lucky to get in on the early bird offer for the first 500 sold via BLF.
    Good for you...enjoy.

Do you have any idea about the colour temperature of the NW & CW versions of the mini and the micro, please?

Good for you...enjoy.

Do you have any idea about the colour temperature of the NW & CW versions of the mini and the micro, please?
    I think I've found my answer. Cree (link) give the colour temperatures as:

WW warm white 2700 - 3500K
    NW neutral white 4000 - 5000K
    CW cool white 5700 - 7000K

Master
    I don’t know if anyone has suggested these guys yet:

https://www.flashaholics.co.uk/about-us.htm

I’ve purchased a number of torches from them and the customer service is excellent. I initially wanted a Fenix for scuba diving but the first one leaked so they replaced it for a Xtar D06 which I’ve used now many times to 40+ metres with no issue. Great torch for walks too. Pretty staggering how good these new lights are!

Master
    I think I've found my answer. Cree (link) give the colour temperatures as:

WW warm white 2700 - 3500K
    NW neutral white 4000 - 5000K
    CW cool white 5700 - 7000K
    You got it right there.

In real terms I prefer a warmer light, the blue tint very white LEDs tend to wash out natural colours, in my eyes.

It's not all about the lumens.

Master
    Lumintop BLF GT next to a mini Maglite for scale

and in use, just snaps taken with iPhone

The most useful and robust torch I have ever owned isn't a torch at all. It's a Petzl Ultra Rush headtorch with a spare battery. Proper working tool and worth every £.
    Seems to me there's loads of tat out there masquerading as end high kit.

One more for the OP to consider, the Astrolux FT03. It takes the larger 26650 battery (not supplied), comes in cool white (6500K) and neutral/natural white (5000K) variants and includes onboard charging via a USB-C (rather than micro USB) socket. A search on Google will turn up the latest in prices and reviews as this is a relatively new product.

Edit Oh...and it used the versatile Narsil user interface with a choice of ramping or stepped operation, plus a lock-out function.

Edit 2 The OP could use his 18650s (if they're rated for high current) in this torch. It might be best to use an adapter...google 18650 to 26650 battery sleeve on eBay etc.
    Last edited by PickleB; 31st March 2019 at 15:10.

Blog Entries
    An absolute beast of brightness from Amazon UK for only £22.89 + £1 delivery. Do not even THINK of looking directly at the beam! :-

MuSheng(TM) 45000LM 18 x CREE XM-L T6 LED

Might I recommend a Thorfire TK18. Great performance and well under budget.

Master
    I use a zebralight when walking the dog etc not focusable but a bloody good torch

I think it's worth repeating:

Can anyone recommend to me a long throw, narrow beam, torch? Ideally, running 18650 batteries, and this side of £100 would be preferable, but not essential. I already have a BLF Q8 for flood usage, but could do with something with the extra reach. I'd sacrifice quality over power as it's for occasional use. That said, i'll stretch the budget for a standout model. Size is not an issue.

Thanks

Gary

One more for the OP to consider, the Astrolux FT03. It takes the larger 26650 battery (not supplied), comes in cool white (6500K) and neutral/natural white (5000K) variants and includes onboard charging via a USB-C (rather than micro USB) socket. A search on Google will turn up the latest in prices and reviews as this is a relatively new product.

Edit Oh...and it used the versatile Narsil user interface with a choice of ramping or stepped operation, plus a lock-out function.

Edit 2 The OP could use his 18650s (if they're rated for high current) in this torch. It might be best to use an adapter...google 18650 to 26650 battery sleeve on eBay etc.

That's a lot of torch for the money (£23.43 with code AFT03 from bangood). I currently use Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh - 15A Button Top. Do you think they'd be up to the job using an adaptor?

Cheers

Gary

That's a lot of torch for the money (£23.43 with code AFT03 from bangood). I currently use Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh - 15A Button Top. Do you think they'd be up to the job using an adaptor?

Cheers

Gary
    I'm no expert but I think that should be OK. In any case, that's what I'm going to be trying having just ordered one plus these...www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202614398438.

Edit I went to a YouTube video (link) to check on the battery contacts and saw that a battery adapter may be supplied with the torch. As the contacts are both springs I should be OK to use my flat top batteries.
    Last edited by PickleB; 2nd April 2019 at 12:57.

Master
    As I only want a torch for checking round the house at night and some occasional 'dark runs' at the local mini-rifle shoot I bought a couple of Kodak Ultra 290 lumens for £7.99 each at TKmaxx. They are flood to tight beam and use 3xAAA's. Plenty bright enough for me.

Craftsman
    Torches can get so involved nowadays it can easily turn into a pissing contest- don’t be taken by the brightest lumen,there is more to it than this- buy what you need not the latest search and rescue/tactical gun mount for letting the dog out! Flashaholics have sensible reviews.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I've just had one of these delivered and it is an awesome light, probably more output than most are likely to need but if you're looking for a very bright light with exceptional throw then this is superb.
    The quoted discount code still appears to work making it a real steal.