closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do many members have a FP Journe in their collection?

Do many members have a FP Journe in their collection?

I recently asked on TRF what members thought specifically about the Chronometre Souverain.

Many years ago, I moved on an FP Journe Calendrier - Black Label.
    This was one of my biggest Horological regrets.

Since then I have often thought about getting another Journe and one of my absolute favourites is the CS.
    Now, I have the opportunity to buy a new R/G CS.

FP Journe only make around 800 pieces per year and it got me wondering on how many TZ members had or still have an FP Journe?
    It would be great to hear from owners past & present what they think about the marque?

As with all threads, photographs are most welcome and actually encouraged
    I look forward to reading your thoughts.

I can only think of one forum member who posted a picture of one but I have not seen his posts for at least a year perhaps he is working abroad? A PM to him may be your best bet.

I am seriously considering selling a fair few of my collection and buying something in the upper echelons - FP has been considered, however their styling doesn't do it for me. All that people have told me is no real issues at all though. Also - I know their production numbers are comparatively low, but it still feels like a 'lot'. I guess I want to go for something more exclusive at that money.

Master
    I'd love one, but cant afford it.

Craftsman
    Can't afford one at the moment, but I think the blue dial Chronometre Souverain looks stunning!

I've owned two, the FP Octa Divine and Octa Sport. I had to raise some quick funds so regretfully sold the Divine. It was an incredible watch and miss it loads. I could never get a good fit on the Octo Sport strap so I sold it cracking watch though.
    I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the brand.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 27th March 2019 at 23:01.

My two...

Better pic of my 40mm octa divine in platinum before I sold it.

^^^^^

That is a cracking looking piece and would tick a lot of boxes.

I remember when you first got the Sport, because if I remember correctly we were both looking at it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Better pic of my 40mm octa divine in platinum before I sold it.
    Stunning peice

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Love the dial on the Octa. Level of quality is simply superb.

Missed out on the CS!
    So, I shall continue to look :-)

Nice review from WF
    https://youtu.be/E1fmjnKGZkY

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Nice review from WF
    Watched earlier today, it was quite interesting. I never realised that the movement was also made of gold.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Nice review from WF
    I was surprised he never mentioned the reverse power reserve indicator , a quirky FPJ design.

Master
    A confession, there’s a trashy ‘documentary’ series on Netflix about high-end estate agents. ‘Selling Sunset.’
    All the estate agents seem to wear gold APs, and next door to their office is....;an FP Journe boutique.
    It’s complete trash....I love it, in an appalled way. No-one wears a Rolex, that’s for poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I was surprised he never mentioned the reverse power reserve indicator , a quirky FPJ design.
    I think that the only model which has the reverse power reserve indicator is the CS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I think that the only model which has the reverse power reserve indicator is the CS.

I thought all their power reserves were reverse indicators, you live and learn.

The chronometre souverain was the wAtch I nearly bought but I wasn’t brave enough. I went to see them in the flesh several times at William and Sons and even visited the Journe boutique in Paris but it never happened. I think the depreciation on New was scary. I see them come up on the second hand market, albeit rarely, and always think ‘should I?’ One recently was sold on ‘A Collected Man’, 38mm rose gold- which was my preferred combination.
    It’s a great, great watch and more pure and reliable than the Octa automatics.
    Good luck with your hunt

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    A confession, there’s a trashy ‘documentary’ series on Netflix about high-end estate agents. ‘Selling Sunset.’
    All the estate agents seem to wear gold APs, and next door to their office is....;an FP Journe boutique.
    It’s complete trash....I love it, in an appalled way. No-one wears a Rolex, that’s for poor people.
    I was wondering if I was only one that noticed that ;) it seemed lot of APs were present with the exception of the ponytail platinum blonde that had what looked like DD and gold Daytona. And the weird boyfriend/fiancee that was unable to express a thought seemed to have some weird AP that looked fake to my eye (or bamford, so same shit).

Bit of an update...

Having sold my Sub, was able to look at other options.
    So, I was able to complete a good deal on my Day Date against one of two following pieces.

A Patek Philippe 5146J which had just come back from being serviced by Patek or a 3 month old R/G FP Journe Chronometre Souverain - CS, which has the blue hands and numbers on the dial.

My heart says FP Journe

My Head says Patek Philippe.

In fact I find the thread below, which was asking the exact question.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=611633&page=4

One concern with Journe, is who would continue to service it after he has retired and will parts still be available?

We all know that with Patek that will not happen.

I have owned both Marques.

The 5146J was my first Patek and one that I wished had kept. However the Fp Journe that I had - Calendrier, I regretted selling more or less straight away and always said that one day I would get a CS.

The CS is a stunning looking watch on all levels, yet simple and does what a watch is supposed to do.
    And being a manual wind, having the PR indicator with its unique working is a great plus.

The 5146J has always been a favourite, has several useful complications, which include having lime hands & batons. Comes fitted with a deployant and is the perfect size for me.

Last week I may the decision and went my head and bought the 5146J.

As we know it is a super complication watch, being an Annual Calendar, which is made and finished by one of the top 5 manufacturer's in the world - IMO.

I should add that I have got 14 days in which to return it, also they have a 3 month old CS Rose Gold in stock.
    Unfortunately, I have not been able to compare them, as the company is several hours away.

However, I just can't get the Journe out of my head or should that be my heart

I am thinking long term here, as for 30 years I have always ended up flipping my watches for the next one!!

Having just turned 60, I want to stop this and be happy with my lot.
    Which would be my BB58 and a PM watch.

To me there is something magical about the CS, that and the fact, as I get older so will my eyesight and to me the CS has the perfect combination to be able to read the time at anytime - apart from night. And let's face it, when you retire, who needs to know the date etc?

I showed my partner the two watches and she said the Patek.
    When I asked why, she simply replied that she didn't like the CS.

So am I being crazy letting my heart possibly rule my head and in fact is she right. Or just give up over thinking things and settle for what is a classic and beautiful watch?

I am determined that whatever I choose it will be my last watch............yes I know!!!!!!

So, can the CS be worn every day and will the 40mm watch fit a 6 ¾ wrist ok?

I fully appreciate that this is just a 1st class world problem.

Thank you for your patience.
    Tony
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 22nd April 2019 at 09:21. Reason: Added further information

Tony,
    Go with your heart.
    Buy the piece you want not what you think you should buy. You’ll enjoy it more so it’s ‘value’ to you will be greater.
    Journe

Master
    Sorry, but I went through the ‘last watch’ stage when I reached sixty. There have been plenty since then. Now I’m seventy....and still doubt I’m on my last watch.
    Don’t trick yourself....there’l be more. You’ve hopefully got a long life still ahead. Watches, the hobby, will be part of it.

Hi, I have a 40mm plat Octa RDM bought a few years ago (pre-loved). It's my best watch, I think. The movement is simply stunning.

I also have a 5146G. If one had to go, it would be the PP.

I would buy another FPJ without any hesitation in preference to another PP. I'd really like a Chronometre Optimum, but funds currently do not allow.

Cheers.

Last edited by Holsterman; 22nd April 2019 at 10:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Hi, I have a 40mm plat Octa RDM bought a few years ago (pre-loved). It's my best watch, I think. The movement is simply stunning.

I would buy another FPJ without any hesitation in preference to another PP. I'd really like a Chronometre Optimum, but funds currently do not allow.

Cheers.

Stunning piece.

Can't afford any piece from the brand, but really enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by barbosas View Post
    Stunning piece.

Can't afford any piece from the brand, but really enjoy them.
    Thank you, I absolutely love this watch.

One concern with Journe, is who would continue to service it after he has retired and will parts still be available?
    Worry not.

http://thejourneguy.com/in-the-words...n-the-company/

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Tony,Go with your heart.Buy the piece you want not what you think you should buy. You’ll enjoy it more so it’s ‘value’ to you will be greater.Journe
    Sorry, but I went through the ‘last watch’ stage when I reached sixty. There have been plenty since then. Now I’m seventy....and still doubt I’m on my last watch. Don’t trick yourself....there’l be more. You’ve hopefully got a long life still ahead. Watches, the hobby, will be part of it.
    Hi, I have a 40mm plat Octa RDM bought a few years ago (pre-loved). It's my best watch, I think. The movement is simply stunning.I also have a 5146G. If one had to go, it would be the PP.I would buy another FPJ without any hesitation in preference to another PP. I'd really like a Chronometre Optimum, but funds currently do not allow.Cheers.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Tony,
    Go with your heart.
    Buy the piece you want not what you think you should buy. You’ll enjoy it more so it’s ‘value’ to you will be greater.
    Journe
    Thanks Dave, that is what I am thinking.
    Having looked and tried on the 5146J at home, I just need to have them side by side, to hopefully resolve the issue.

Sorry, but I went through the ‘last watch’ stage when I reached sixty. There have been plenty since then. Now I’m seventy....and still doubt I’m on my last watch.
    Don’t trick yourself....there’l be more. You’ve hopefully got a long life still ahead. Watches, the hobby, will be part of it.
    Peter, I hear 100% what you are saying. But for me it needs to stop.
    I thought that having the DD would cure it, but it didn’t and just showed me how my tastes have changed.
    I have already stopped visiting the forums as much as I used to.

Cheers.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Funnily enough, I have just read that article, very encouraging.

When you do compare them side by side, don’t make the mistake of comparing them on a like for like basis I.e functions, vfm, possible resale or you would be led to the Patek. Compare them on which you like more on your wrist and brings a smile to your face.
    The Patek is a safe choice, a head choice if you will. I chose the 5146 on this basis. I no longer have it.
    Good luck

I have arranged to compare both of them today side by side today.
    Dave, why did you move on the 5146?

This was the outcome.

Sorry for the poor photo.

The blue hands can be difficult to capture at times and often look black.

I am going to get a different coloured strap to compliment the rose gold. Possibly tan or caramel.

This was the outcome.

I am going to get a different coloured strap to compliment the rose gold. Possibly tan or caramel.

Well done, and good outcome! I fully agree with your strap ideas. Get yourself to JR and get this on a strap it deserves!

Congratulations Tony. It’s a belter!

It’s gotta put a smile on your face.

I definitely think you made the right choice.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a very classy timepiece Tony and so under the radar compared the 18ct day/date.

You must be very pleased.

Lovely! Well done👍

Congratulations Tony. An excellent choice.

Excellent choice!

Master

Cheers.

That's a beauty, love the Octas, the Octa Calendrier is often on my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

This was the outcome.

Many congrats, looks superb!

You made the right choice. It looks stunning. Congratulations!

Thanks to you all.
    New strap is on its way.
    Looking forward to trying it out

Love the combination of the colour of the strap and the R/G.

Craftsman
    Not usually a fan of brown leather straps but it really does complement the watch. Suits it perfectly.

Master
    Great choice vs the PP. So well done there.
    Not so supportive of the brown/tan straps though !
    Go vivid blue (to match the hands) or red. There are some really great pics of Journe watches on IG with bright straps that IMO really set them off.