closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Horses for courses

Craftsman

Horses for courses

Horses for courses:
    As a newbie I have been impressed and full of admiration at some of the exotic collections members own. I’ve also been intrigued to know on what occasions members wear which watch and what influences their decision.
    May I suggest this theme as a new thread.
    I’d better put my money where my mouth is:
    I have room in my life for 4 watches – 2 reasonably serious and 2 frivolous:
    1. A CWC Automatic dated divers watch on a TF Aviator open ended strap customised to take a push button deployant clasp. As I’m retired this is my everyday watch worn for gardening, car washing, photography field trips etc – anywhere where its robustness is likely to be significant (and it shows in battle scars). Accurate to +2 seconds per day.
    2. A Hamilton Khaki Satin Quartz black dial fitted with an integrated satin and matt black solid link bracelet from Strapped for Time in North Carolina. This is my street and going out watch and the one by which I set the others (oto +1 to 2 secs per month). Also, my wife likes the look of it and that matters.
    3. A Citizen Eco Drive rectangular stainless case watch on an integrated bracelet with black dial which is used as a dress watch for black tie occasions – very 1930s, especially with a white silk scarf. And because it sits on the dressing table the rest of the time it doesn’t need resetting when it is worn.
    4. (Horror of horrors) A hand wound Aeromatic 1912 A1204 chronograph with sweep second hand and minutes subdial at 12 with time seconds at 6. This is for wearing in private between consenting adults but it’s certainly a conversation piece and what the hell, it cost me 20 GBP on eBay. I’ve no idea what’s inside it, I suspect something Asian (be grateful for any info) but it’s astonishingly accurate – about 1 sec per week. I’ve not looked inside as the back is very tight and on the ABDFI principle – Ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Any takers for this theme.

Re: Horses for courses

F.T.F.A.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by davidsm
    I have room in my life for 4 watches – 2 reasonably serious and 2 frivolous: ...
    Wrong direction, mate. First I choose the watch, than I search for the occasion to wear it. :wink: :lol:
    To be serious, I've more watches than I can wear reasonably :roll: , even though there are many WISsses with much more watches than me. :scratch:

In general I choose the watch I feel like. That's why my favourites are on the winder, so I can decide spontaneously without having to wind and adjust them. [No new winder discussion please. :lol: ]
    - Meeting customers I never wear a Rolex or Breitling.
    - For holidays I usually carry my SEIKO orange monster because it's robust and not too expensive (in case of damage or theft).
    - At state occasions I usually wear my AP Royal Oak (alternatively my Grand Seiko or my 1967 Navitimer).
    - I love to wear my "brutal" Uhr-Kraft AirCop to shock people.
    - My PRS-2 Dreadnought if I want to feel something really heavy to strengthen the muscle on the left arm and my self-esteem. :wink:

If we would own only the watches we need, we would have only a little break of our stocks. It's not a question of demand but of mental illness.

/ Hal :)

Grand Master

I just grab a watch that matches my clothes .. simple as that ..
    /vince ..

Master

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Me too!

I can't see any other way...........

I buy watches because I like watches.

Certainly not for any particular occasion.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I choos the watch to suit either what I'm wearing, what I'm doing, who I'm meeting or what I feel like.

Yesterday I was feeling a little blue, so I matched my watches to my mood...............

Started with this..........

Then got changed in the afternoon to this........

And for an evening out with friends I chose this........

After a great night out and a couple of wins on eBay I'm feeling much brighter, so will start out with this one this morning.........

I've no idea what I'll be wearing later, but it's nice to have choices. :D :D :D :D :D
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I buy watches because I like watches.
    That is certtainly the reason i buy them too, but not why i wear them. Have a couple i don't wear at all, but that doesn't mean i don't like them, i love tham. The question was i think more "which watch for which occassion" and it's an interesting question. As i have said somewhere before, some of the meetings i attend, the attendees are so far up themselves i wear no watch at all because they are of the "my watch is bigger than your's" brigade and i can't be doing with it.
    On the other hand, most of the guys i work with are watch enthusiasts so i get to wear anything and get away with it. Then there are those in between occassions where i am going to meet a cross section of people and the choice there is either a Rolex or the PRS-20 (though next Thursday it is going to be the PRS-50 in the House) - a Rolex because it is instantly recognisable or the PRS-20 because it isn't! If that makes sense. Again, as has been said before, in many instances today we are judged by what we wear, on those occassions - and i am usually aware of when i am walking into one - i choose depending the company, Dior suit and Rolex or Westwood and Anonimo. The former says "i am mainstream, you can trust me" the latter (and i infinately prefer this) says "up yours, you don't know me and never will".
    Philosophy on a Sunday morning? and why not? :)

Master

Good statements and thoughts, Neil and tekkno!

As I'm working in the financial sector, I see many "colleagues" proudly wearing a Rolex (alternatively Breitling or Panerai). They don't have a clue what a watch is, but think of Rolex as the crowning glory of watchmaking and status.
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkno
    "i am mainstream, you can trust me"
    I second that thought, but it depends on your environment. At least referring to my experience Rolex does not say this, but people think "He earns too much money, he will bamboozle me!". Non-WIS people usually overestimate Rolex prices by far. So I like to wear my Grand Seiko for example and smile ... .

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Me too!
    I can't see any other way...........
    In general I would agree with you - but for some reason it will not help me ... :wink:
    Or, as a former girlfriend said: light black ... medium black ... dark black :lol:

/ Hal

Thomas Reid

I match my shoes and my hat.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    I match my shoes and my hat.
    Best wishes,
    Bob
    Golden watch with golden shoes? Two-tone watch with two-tone shoes? I never supposed you to have this taste! :shock: ... :wink: :lol:

Compared to the rest of Europe, the UK is very democratic when it comes to wrist wear. Nobody gives a flying f about what watch you are wearing. And if you are wearing something flashy, then you are the kinda guy who wears flashy watches .... and of course there are the eccentrics.

For myself, I like to stay a tad back and not to be noticed because of my watch. That’s why I generally wear the same watch all the time.

My favourite game at work is when someone is wearing a new watch I like, I ask them to take it off … I put it on and then hand them my watch and say, “I’ll give it back to you in an hour, AND DON’T PUSH ANY BUTTONS ON MINE”.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK