closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To go fluted or not, was the question?

Master

To go fluted or not, was the question?

I spoke to my AD two weeks ago and asked him to get both a fluted and non fluted DJ41 in blue dial to go with my TT version. I had my head set on one after seeing one in a grey, but was not happy to pay a premium. So fast forward Saturday my rings to tell me both are in.

So I visited my AD and looked at both, the fluted I did not try on as I found it detracted from the dial. The main goal for me was the lovely blue dial, tried on the smooth bezel and instant click, my better half also preferred it which is always a bonus. I can now retire my old DJ2 in blue as this one is perfectly proportioned IMHO. It goes well with my Z Blue.

The fluted I found to fussy, though I will look at new 36 when they hit the AD, if they are not concealed then I will not be buying, My ad did have one with fluted and oyster and again not for me.

I love how the blue changes colour.

Tried on a white 500 daytona, and was glad again that I went with the black dial, just found it dull again IMHO.

I thought this was going to be a thread about what to wear to an AD in London, sorry...

Master
    I used to hate fluted bezels but the DJ on oyster bracelet with fluted bezel works well. Nice watch.

Fluted is just a bit too jewellery bling for my tastes. I have the plain bezel with black dial. Great watch and dresses up or down. Good choice.

Fluted all the way. It's the classic look for such a piece in my opinion.

Journeyman
    IMHO, the 41's bezels are just too wide for the domed look. It's like there's something missing, like a blanked off button on car's dash. Having said that, I thought fluted was too bling as well. Tried on on the new bi-metal 36 (fluted/Jubilee) and though it was great. It's seemed far more discreet than the 41, which is odd considering the rose gold. I just feel the 41 is too big for the style of watch. The new 36 looks great with the domed in pictures, but I want to see it in the metal. I'm still leaning towards the bi-metal though.

Master

To go fluted or not, was the question?

I prefer smooth bezel; it looks more modern and clean.
    However, the fluted design has tremendous presence and really ‘pops’ in the light.
    Both are fine. Note how similar the fluted version looks to the 40mm DD, at a small fraction of the cost.
    As for size, I find the 41mm is about right.
    Comically, the most expensive version of the DayDate , in platinum, reverts to the smooth bezel. So both cheapest DJ and dearest DD both meet at that stylistic point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th March 2019 at 18:18.

Master
    The fluted bezel shouts "ROLEX", which, for me, is reason enough to go with the plain bezel. Maybe if it was a solid gold case I might choose fluted but other than that it is plain all the way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I prefer smooth bezel; it looks more modern and clean.
    Comically, the most expensive version of the DayDate , in platinum, reverts to the smooth bezel. So both cheapest DJ and dearest DD both meet at that stylistic point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I really like the fluted bezel on my DD41, stunning when the light hits it, I did read the reason for the platty having a smooth bezel was that it was too difficult a material to accurately machine the flutes.

Master
    It’s definitely a beauty in blue. Are you able to confirm the measured case size for the DJ41 please? You hear all sorts of measurements quoted online.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think fluted is mostly better looking but I personally would always go smooth. The fluted is just too bling for my tastes.

Having said that I do find the bezel of the smooth version slightly too fat and needs slimming down a touch.

If I didn't have thighs for wrists I would have the new 36mm smooth on oyster with a sober dial.

Journeyman
    Super looking watch - I’d have made the same decision and gone with the non-fluted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I slightly prefer fluted personally but let’s be honest, they both look great. Congrats:-)

If I was buying for daily wear then I would have the smooth bezel on oyster bracelet. If buying for special occasions and dressing up, then the fluted on jubilee.

But in either format, it is a lovely watch and the blue dial is really nice.

Craftsman
    I went fluted and blue dial as these were definite preferences for me. Bracelet was a much tougher decision. Got the oyster but then regretted not getting the jubilee, so ended up with both!! Looks great on both, but had spent more time on the jubilee so far...

There’s no wrong choice with this watch. Great that there are so many choices. Makes for a nice buying experience, particularly compared to the waiting list models!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Fluted all the way. It's the classic look for such a piece in my opinion.
    I’m torn on this one, I used to think the fluted bezel/jubilee combo was the way to go with a Datejust, and I do still like that look. Fluted bezel/Oyster still doesn’t do it for me, neither does plain bezel/ jubilee bracelet, but having owned a 116200 plain bezel/Oyster example (which I regret selling) I see the appeal of both versions.

The answer to the conundrum used to be straightforward when these watches were far cheaper on the second hand market.......buy one if each! Niwadays thst’s an expensive option, even the okder 16234 watches are fetching well over £2.5k for nice ones. I’m also a big fan of bimetals, so for me the answer is a bimetal fluted dial/jubilee and a plain bezel/Oyster in steel. Slight oroblem with that plan, I sold my 116200 several years back!

I know the larger versions of the Datejust have become established over the past few years, but for me it has to be the 36mm. Apart from my preference for smaller watches I firmly believe the design works better in this size.

Dial choices are always subjective, we could debate this forever, but for me the steel versions look best with black or blue, whilst the bimetal looks good with white or silver.

Craftsman
    Very nice choice Simon.

Smooth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    I went fluted and blue dial as these were definite preferences for me. Bracelet was a much tougher decision. Got the oyster but then regretted not getting the jubilee, so ended up with both!! Looks great on both, but had spent more time on the jubilee so far...

There’s no wrong choice with this watch. Great that there are so many choices. Makes for a nice buying experience, particularly compared to the waiting list models!

It does look good on both but oyster bracelet would be my preference. Does the jubilee hold up better to scratches?

Master
    Lovely watch congratulations. For me though a classic DJ has to be 36mm and have a fluted bezel, but then I'm biased.

Craftsman
    I'd vote fluted all the way. My dilemma is blue or rhodium now. I'm waiting on a rhodium dialed DJ41 but i keep seeing pictures of the blue and it's giving me 2nd thoughts!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    It does look good on both but oyster bracelet would be my preference. Does the jubilee hold up better to scratches?
    Yes, very much so!! The oyster pcl’s are well known scratch magnets. Look great in the sun when new though😀

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Yes, very much so!! The oyster pcl’s are well known scratch magnets. Look great in the sun when new though
    Aware the pcl mark just by being looked at. Also with the many pieces that make up a jubilee it makes sense it would hide blemishes better. Cheers for confirming though. My ocd would prefer the jubilee even if I prefer the look of the oyster.

Craftsman
    Fluted wins

New datejust 36 is the one to have

Having an Explorer, I'd go fluted but as has been said, they're both fantastic.
    Last edited by dkpw; 28th March 2019 at 14:44.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Aware the pcl mark just by being looked at. Also with the many pieces that make up a jubilee it makes sense it would hide blemishes better. Cheers for confirming though. My ocd would prefer the jubilee even if I prefer the look of the oyster.
    Yes, the centre section of the jubilee is still polished, but the links are much smaller, so far less surface area to pick up scratches. So much so that I’ve worn the jubilee much more, with zero noticeable scratches. Still get the usual swirlies on the clasp, which has the same centre polished section.

Grand Master
    The polished links on the jubilee don’t show the scratches, I think its because they’re small and curved.

Journeyman
    Plain definitely - fluted to busy

Craftsman
    I like fluted in the vintage pieces but agree that the modern ones can look cleaner without! The flutes on the larger Datejusts are a tad aggressive

Plain with jubilee. 36mm. My wrist is 7.75” btw.

Last edited by Scrubnut; 27th March 2019 at 19:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    I thought this was going to be a thread about what to wear to an AD in London, sorry...
    Brilliant! Though I'm not sure many others, if any, appreciate your comic genius - but sleep safe tonight knowing that I salute your wit

On a more serious note, I've always thought that DJs with non-fluted bezels look [to me] as though they're missing something.

Craftsman
    Tough choice but in the 1990s I went with the blue dial, oyster but fluted WG bezel. I still love it to this day, has the classic Rolex look but with the more casual Oyster strap.

I know whenever I speak to my grey dealer he always wants to buy it as it is such a rare combination-from memory it had to be ordered from Geneva back then as it was so unusual;

Oyster Bracelet
    DateJust
    Blue Dial with Batons
    Fluted WG Bezel

Blog Entries
    In this case I would prefer fluted. But only because I have a few 'plain' bezel steel watches already.

Martyn

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for fluted with a jubilee bracelet - looks smarter / less tool watch

Fluted for me with jubilee, it's iconic.

Fluted DJ's always had a white gold bezel, I assume they still do?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Fluted for me with jubilee, it's iconic.

Fluted DJ's always had a white gold bezel, I assume they still do?
    Indeed they do.

I've spent lots of time trying the current DJs on and my preference is fluted with jubilee but, as with any purchase, you really need to try them on and see them in the flesh. I'd also strongly advise you try a 36mm on. The 41mm is way too big in my opinion. It's so big it 'wears you rather than you wearing it' as my lovely girlfriend once said! I have slightly above average sized (7.25inch) wrists incidently.

Master
    I'd be delighted with either. I'd probably only know the answer after wearing each for a month. I doubt I'd feel much regret whichever I chose.

Master
    Impeccable taste, OP.

I have been musing the purchase of a blue-dial DJ for about two years now and have not (yet) managed to find the money or balls to pull the trigger.

A few have come onto SC but typically never when I’ve had the means to move.

I tried a 36 and 41 at LHR last year (both smooth + oyster)...

In the smooth bezel I prefer the dial of the 41, and could quite easily live with it. Fluted (I tried a silver dial but didn’t snap it) just felt way, way too bling for me, but I can totally understand why folks like them as statement pieces.

Where I ended up was that I’d prefer a 36, fluted with Jubilee in blue, and a smooth 36 with Oyster in white.

I’m still saving

I feel the fluted bezel is truer to the DJ.

Used to think it looked dated but I have come around and now prefer fluted.

I also worry the smooth bezel would be a scratch magnet. As an EXP2 owner, I cant handle another vulnerable bezel....

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post

That looks the dogs'; very!

I prefer having the fluted bezel on the DJ and smooth on the OP.

Craftsman
    Fluted for me, on jubilee.. great looking watch !

Craftsman
    Much prefer the smooth look

no doubt I think which is my preference ,and I know some say the DJ11 was to big when worn I feel no difference!

Last edited by mitch1956; 31st March 2019 at 21:01.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I prefer having the fluted bezel on the DJ and smooth on the OP.
    Smooth looks uncomplicated, nice clean lines at the same time. Fluted gives a little more class with a vintage look. Tough call.

Master
    I am still smiling with my purchase love the dial and with the recent sun, have spent many a moment looking at the dial. I am waiting for the 36mm new releases to hit the shops to try and look at buying.

Craftsman
    Same here. Soon to buy for the girlfriend's birthday, but keen to see the new 126234 with upgraded movement

Any idea when they'll land in ADs?
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I am still smiling with my purchase love the dial and with the recent sun, have spent many a moment looking at the dial. I am waiting for the 36mm new releases to hit the shops to try and look at buying.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Kidsteruk; 1st April 2019 at 22:22.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glad the OP started this debate. On the verge of buying a DJ 41, just deciding on dials, the fluted bezel adds £1600 onto the price as its WG. So non fluted for me, however the fluted bezel would disguise scratches.

I like the dial below. But do the Roman numerals ‘glow’ ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post

Unfortunately that dial is not available for 2019 DJ 41. Which is a real shame.