closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TZ Bikers Ride-out no.2 Sunday 28th April Bristol to the Sammy Miller Museum, Hants.

TZ Bikers Ride-out no.2 Sunday 28th April Bristol to the Sammy Miller Museum, Hants.

Following on from the success of the ride on Sunday (thanks for Tony for arranging) I thought I'd see if there was any interest in a 2nd jaunt.

I'm arranging a ride from my home town in Bristol to the Sammy Miller museum in New Milton, Hants https://sammymiller.co.uk/

The distance is about 80 miles and we'll be leaving from the McDonalds car park opposite Riders of Bristol, the main Ducati / Harley D dealership at this postcode; BS4 5PF at 9.15am. There will be a fuel/coffee stop at the recently refurbished services at Warminster https://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Warminster

Allowing 30 minutes or so for the stop, we should make the museum at midday.

From there we can enjoy a decent breakfast/brunch as well as the fantastic collection of bikes that the museum holds. I anticipate a couple of hours there followed by a leisurely ride around the New Forest. The speed limits are 40mph within the Forest with cows and ponies often wandering into the road so we should be able to ride comfortably as a group.

I'm thinking of a pub stop around 3.30ish, and was considering The Rising Sun as it has a large car park as well as a large outdoor seating area https://www.therisingsunbashley.co.uk/

I'd probably be looking to head home around 5ish to allow a couple of hours for the ride back to Bristol.

At the moment this is all I have. No route planned but it's likely to be direct on mainly A roads, with the odd section of dual carriageway via Bath, Frome, Warminster, Salisbury etc.

Anyway, that's it for the time being. Feel free to register your interest, although like Tony I'm simply co-ordinating the day so suggest you bring your phone or Sat Nav with the museum post code just in case you get lost.

That said it's a nice straight route so hopefully we can arrive in one maybe two groups. If we have a large turnout in may be easier to split into a couple of smaller groups which should help staying together.

Cheers for now, Steve.
    Last edited by Red Steve; 27th March 2019 at 11:04.

Gutted, having missed last weekends shenanigans I will not be around for this one as the Saturday is bike drop off day for the Panigale for my Aragon trip ... so can't really dedicate the whole weekend to bikes :(

Well done, Steve - this sounds like a great day, and I'm sure a lot of our biking community will be going along.

Sadly, I won't be one of them; between now and early June my time is being split between home and Newcastle, so this has come at the wrong time for me.

The speed limit in the New Forest is 40mph, not 20.

There are two camera vans which operate around the Forest. These can usually be found between Bramshaw and Fordingbridge, Beaulieu and Brockenhurst, or Beaulieu and Lymington, which are all fairly straight stretches of road with high animal casualty rates.

Although they sometimes throw a curve ball, and appear around Lyndhurst and Ashurst.

There's also a speed camera between Lymington and Brockenhurst, close to a petrol station that's now a car wash.

HTH.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Nice one Steve, hopefully I’ll be available for this one too!

Craftsman
    Have been informed of a family commitment in the morning so will meet you at the sammy millers post brunch/museum visit and join you all for the ride around and pint in the rising sun.
    If there is any help you need I’m less than a mile away from both locations so just shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammy Millers is a very worthwhile stop-off.
    Those old `Brit bikes have some seriously funky engineering and wacky engineering solutions, especially in the suspension department - so much more interesting than modern stuff.

Forest is a bit dull for biking, though. Well, it is after riding through it for 30+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The speed limit in the New Forest is 40mph, not 20.

There are two camera vans which operate around the Forest. These can usually be found between Bramshaw and Fordingbridge, Beaulieu and Brockenhurst, or Beaulieu and Lymington, which are all fairly straight stretches of road with high animal casualty rates.

Although they sometimes throw a curve ball, and appear around Lyndhurst and Ashurst.

There's also a speed camera between Lymington and Brockenhurst, close to a petrol station that's now a car wash.

HTH.
    Edited the op re speed limit. Guess when I'm down there I usually drive well under 40. Thanks for the heads up re cameras too.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Sammy Millers is a very worthwhile stop-off.
    Those old `Brit bikes have some seriously funky engineering and wacky engineering solutions, especially in the suspension department - so much more interesting than modern stuff.

Forest is a bit dull for biking, though. Well, it is after riding through it for 30+ years.
    It's been well over 10 years since I was last there, having taken my father in law down to see some of the bikes he rode back in his youth. I understand it's been extended now so will interested to see what new additions they have.

Re the onward ride that's not yet finalised, and I'm more than open to alternative ideas...maybe a run to the coast, perhaps to Barton or Milford, or time depending over to Poole which would provide a different return route to Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by DibbleCorse View Post
    Gutted, having missed last weekends shenanigans I will not be around for this one as the Saturday is bike drop off day for the Panigale for my Aragon trip ... so can't really dedicate the whole weekend to bikes :(
    That's a shame. Let me know what Aragon is like. I'm there in September.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well done, Steve - this sounds like a great day, and I'm sure a lot of our biking community will be going along.

Sadly, I won't be one of them; between now and early June my time is being split between home and Newcastle, so this has come at the wrong time for me.
    That's a shame Tony :-( but I'm sure we'll have many more in the future. All the best with the upcoming project too.

Sorry guys can’t make it, got my FILs birthday which has to take priority apparently.. have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be interested

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I live about 5 miles away from there...
    Might pop along as it’s a great museum
    Both bikes currently sorned though....

I had a slightly hungover brunch at the Sammy Miller museum after the first night of my stag do, the great man himself meandered over to say hello. By coincidence I bumped into him a week later in Sussex, such a nice man. Anyway, the full English when I was there was superb.

In case the pub idea doesn't work out, the Alice Lisle pub is very good, just north of Ringwood. Very popular with families because of the play area, so it may be busy.

https://www.thealicelisle.co.uk/

The Red Shoot is just around the corner and always seems popular with bikers:

https://www.redshoot.co.uk/

My favourite though is the Good Pub Guide's country pub of the year a couple of years ago, the Royal Oak in Fritham.

http://royaloakfritham.co.uk/
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I had a slightly hungover brunch at the Sammy Miller museum after the first night of my stag do, the great man himself meandered over to say hello. By coincidence I bumped into him a week later in Sussex, such a nice man. Anyway, the full English when I was there was superb.

In case the pub idea doesn't work out, the Alice Lisle pub is very good, just north of Ringwood. Very popular with families because of the play area, so it may be busy.

https://www.thealicelisle.co.uk/

The Red Shoot is just around the corner and always seems popular with bikers:

https://www.redshoot.co.uk/

My favourite though is the Good Pub Guide's country pub of the year a couple of years ago, the Royal Oak in Fritham.

http://royaloakfritham.co.uk/
    Thanks for these. Nothing definite yet apart from the departure time from Bristol and our ETA at the Museum around midday, after that I'm happy to "go with the flow".

It would be possible to take a route which included Zig-Zag Hill for this jaunt too!
    Between Shaftesbury and Ashmore on the Dorset side of the hill.

Master
    I bought my first motorbike (BSA Bantam) in 1966 and always had one ever since, always British, until last year because the wife decided at 70, I should give it all up.

I duly sold the 650cc BSA GoldenFlash and have been "bikeless" ever since and I don't like it one little bit.

Visiting Sammy Miller's museum would be a form of torture for me and I have resigned from the VMCC and stopped buying the usual mags because it all drags up memories.

I know statistically, a biker over 50 has 4 times the likelyhood of coming off their bike as someone in their 20s, so packing it in probably make sense but it is still a blow not to be able to take a summer evenings ride out in the countryside.

I am away that week for work but should land Saturday evening - I live local so if I can will make it down to the museum, hopefully on my bike.

Don't worry about the M27 Bridge closure warning on the SM website as that has been moved to June.

Master
    Living in Newbury seems pointless to go 70 miles west to go 70 miles east, any idea what route you are taking so I can join en route?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Edited the op re speed limit. Guess when I'm down there I usually drive well under 40. Thanks for the heads up re cameras too.
    You're welcome.

Another pub to throw into the mix is this place:

https://maps.apple.com/place?address...t%20End%20Arms

Slightly out of your planned area, but it's owned and run by John Illsley, a name that some might recognise as the bass player in Dire Straits.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

^^^^another of my local haunts and highly recommended!
    Best pint of Ringwood 49er in the area
    You will need to book if you want to go to this one.
    This place also very good for traditional pub food and much cheaper approx 4 miles from museum
    http://www.pubsnewforest.co.uk/welco...nd-hound-sway/
    Last edited by GOAT; 5th April 2019 at 14:07.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Living in Newbury seems pointless to go 70 miles west to go 70 miles east, any idea what route you are taking so I can join en route?
    From Bristol we'll be heading to Bath, then on to Frome and Warminster where we'll stop for a coffee and fuel at the services. From there it's the A36 to Salisbury via Wylye, Stapleford, Wilton etc. It's a nice ride with a mix of single and dual carriageway. OK so not there are probably more scenic ways but the idea is to leave at a reasonable time and arrive at the SM by lunchtime and to allow for a comfort/coffee/fuel stop too.

Where we go afterwards I'm more than happy to take on board local knowledge, re an afternoon pub stop as well as taking in some nice local roads.

I'd be looking to head back to Bristol around 4/4.30 and may take a different route back via Shaftesbury on the A350 just for a change of scenery, but after the pub stop it's down to you how you want to get back home.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    ^^^^another of my local haunts and highly recommended!
    Best pint of Ringwood 49er in the area
    You will need to book if you want to go to this one.
    This place also very good for traditional pub food and much cheaper approx 4 miles from museum
    http://www.pubsnewforest.co.uk/welco...nd-hound-sway/
    Thanks GOAT. I'd anticipate using the restaurant at SM for lunch/brunch. Apparently they do a fantastic all day breakfast. The pub stop in the afternoon was likely just to be for a shandy or a coffee and a packet of Ready Salted before heading home around 4ish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    FYI thank me later

join the BCT for £20 and get free entry to lots of museums inculding Sammy Miller

https://bmct.org/join.html

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    FYI thank me later

join the BCT for £20 and get free entry to lots of museums inculding Sammy Miller

https://bmct.org/join.html
    Sorry, but what's BCT?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Sorry, but what's BCT?

BMCT I missed a letter didn’t you follow the link?

Hi guys, just a quick up date on this as I'd received a PM recently checking if the meet was still on given the potential change in the decent weather we'd had over the Easter Break. To be honest as I ride all year round I never really gave the forecast a 2nd thought.

I've checked the forecast with the BBC app and it doesn't look too bad:

Bristol being our departure point is forecast as light cloud.

Warminster our mid way fuel & coffee stop is forecast as sunny intervals,

New Milton, the destination for the museum is also forecast as sunny intervals.

The temperature is forecast for around 13` so again perfectly acceptable.

Naturally this may change over the next day or so but unless it's forecast to chuck it down all day, or snow, myself and Adrian (the Panigale rider from our 1st ride) will definitely be there. After we've had a good look around the museum and had something to eat we can play it by ear as to where we go...local knowledge would be welcome, but I was thinking of heading toward the coast with a pub stop mid afternoon before heading back to Bristol.

Hope to see as many of you there on Sunday and I estimate our time of arrival at around 12 midday.

All the best,
    Steve.