closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Cal. 1310 servicing

Omega Cal. 1310 servicing

I’ve got a very nice 1970s Omega Megaquartz, with the c.1310 movement, but it has a problem: intermittently it stops running. I suspect it’s mechanical, as you can see the second hand “twitching”as it tries to move. When running, it’s very accurate (about 1 second a week, per watchtracker).

I really like it, I want to get it working properly and I don’t mind spending a bit of money to achieve this. So, who’s good with these movements? I know Paul at electric-watches doesn’t do these any more, and imagine that most watchmakers lack the parts, skill and inclination to get involved with 1979s Quartz!

Is STS the way to go, or are there other options?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    I’ve got a very nice 1970s Omega Megaquartz, with the c.1310 movement, but it has a problem: intermittently it stops running. I suspect it’s mechanical, as you can see the second hand “twitching”as it tries to move. When running, it’s very accurate (about 1 second a week, per watchtracker).

I really like it, I want to get it working properly and I don’t mind spending a bit of money to achieve this. So, who’s good with these movements? I know Paul at electric-watches doesn’t do these any more, and imagine that most watchmakers lack the parts, skill and inclination to get involved with 1979s Quartz!

Is STS the way to go, or are there other options?
    Before you try that, I'd get a cocktail stick and some rodico or even bluetac; form a blob just like a cotton bud on the end, get the metal polish of your choice and give the contacts a careful polish. don't scratch or use sandpaper as you will not notice the metallic dust that will demage the watch in the long term. clean up carefully with rodico, or bluetac, afterwards.

While twitching can be a sign of a mechanical issue, it can also be a sign that the motor just isn't getting the power it needs from the battery. Later watches have low battery indication, but the 1310 is well before that and will just keep on trying.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Before you try that, I'd get a cocktail stick and some rodico or even bluetac; form a blob just like a cotton bud on the end, get the metal polish of your choice and give the contacts a careful polish. don't scratch or use sandpaper as you will not notice the metallic dust that will demage the watch in the long term. clean up carefully with rodico, or bluetac, afterwards.

While twitching can be a sign of a mechanical issue, it can also be a sign that the motor just isn't getting the power it needs from the battery. Later watches have low battery indication, but the 1310 is well before that and will just keep on trying.
    Thanks for that - I'll give it a try. For avoidance of doubt, you mean the battery contacts, yes?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that - I'll give it a try. For avoidance of doubt, you mean the battery contacts, yes?
    Just so. Probably worth checking the battery too.

Sorry for my ignorance but is megaquartz tuning fork. Just saw 32khz on ebay items.

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance but is megaquartz tuning fork. Just saw 32khz on ebay items.
    No, it's quartz; I believe that most standard quartz movements oscillate at 32KHz, except for the 2.4MHz Omega Marine Chronometers and the modern 262(?)MHz Bulova Accutrons.

Omega's tuning fork movements ran at 300Hz and 720Hz (megasonic).

Grand Master
    This design has a stepper motor that’s replaceable as a separate component, but new replacements haven’t been available for years. I fixed one a few years ago when I managed to source a second- hand one in good condition, but I wouldn’t get involved with one again. My guess is that the stepper motor will be the problem.

I think the only way forward is to send it to STS, they are the best bet when difficult to source Onega parts are needed. It may be possible to repair/recondition these parts but that’ll only be done via Omega.

Owning these old quartz models can be expensive, personally I avoid them. It’s a shame, Omega made some nice quartz watches in the 70s and the quality was good, but they’re too much hassle thesedays for my liking.

No, it's quartz; I believe that most standard quartz movements oscillate at 32KHz, except for the 2.4MHz Omega Marine Chronometers and the modern 262(?)MHz Bulova Accutrons.

Omega's tuning fork movements ran at 300Hz and 720Hz (megasonic).
    Oh ok so 32khz is standard got it thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Oh ok so 32khz is standard got it thanks.
    32.768 vibrations per second (2 to the 15th).

The tuning forks only had some 300 hz instead of 32 khz (approx 100 times as many vibrations per second.