closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001 Alternative?

Master

Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001 Alternative?

I've been looking at the Marinemaster SBDX001 for a long time now as it's one of my favourite watches but just cannot afford to purchase one. Looking into cheaper alternatives the only one I can find sort of close is the Orient 300m Saturation. Don't find this as nice as the Seiko but it's a lot cheaper and if I save, and sell, should be able to purchase it. Just wondering if there's anything else out there that I should be looking at that's similar in design to the Seiko? All input very much apreciated.

How about one of these?

Blog Entries
    Sharkmaster?

I find it’s a hard watch to find an alternative to and besides, if you purchase the OS300, you won’t be truly happy until you get the MM300. Keep saving.

Why dont try the OSD300? It is one of best value for the money divers out there and you are thinking of it...
    I think MM300 is a great watch but servicing is a bit complicated, if I am not mistaken

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

I know it’s easier said than done but I would keep saving. Any homage / copy or substitute will not satisfy your desire to own one.
    It’s the best value divers watch you can buy IMO (if you can say any watch other than an F91 is good value)
    I love mine and would not get rid of it. I sometimes think it is the only watch I need.
    It is top heavy so can be uncomfortable for some wearers but if you can get a comfortable fit it’s close to perfect. Would rather have one over a Submariner and my my SM300MC would go before I sold my MM300.
    Best of luck in the hunt to get one.

To the answers above which suggest only the MM will do and not a homage to it......consider trying a homage as the MM is quite a size and not everybody is happy with the way it wears.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies👍 I'm now thinking even if I did save enough for the MM could I justify paying that much (spending that much on myself) when I have a family and mortgage (which I'm trying to pay off early) that come first? I suppose that's why I'm drawn towards a cheaper alternative, less guilt on my part. Going to look into the posted suggestions, thanks again all.

Craftsman
    The MM300 is agreat watch. Love the steel/laquered bezel. Great lume and dial. Will hold its value too if thats a factor. Keep saving and good luck.

Master
    The Orient Saturation you mentioned is A cracking watch and a little more unusual. It'd also probably the closest. Have you considered an MM200?

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Have you considered Citizen Grand touring sport?Very well made, solid automatic movement (9012 Citizen Miyota) and also cheaper

Master
    Blog Entries
    How about a modded 007? Google 'Seiko PMMM' to get an idea of what is possible.

What about an actual Seiko?

Can be found for about £600 online

Master
    Again gents thanks very much for all the replies, quite a few suggestions to look into. Still obviously want the original MM but realistically will have to go for a cheaper alternative.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What about an actual Seiko?

Can be found for about £600 online
    I thought these were a grand plus?
    At £600 I'd say this is a great alternative assuming that's possible.

Mm300 is the nicest watch I can never wear - it’s very heavy, too heavy, and I’m gutted as I love the thing, it just needs to be 3mm smaller and 100g lighter ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine says hi!

As has been said, it’s a bit lumpy and feels that way on my wrist now as I have got used to smaller watches, saying that it’s one of the most beautiful watches to look at in the steel, it’s hard to put your finger on why it works so well but it just does..
    Mine is a 001 but have you considered the 017? Prices have gone up in recent years and a good 001 will hold its value should you decide it’s not for you..

Journeyman

Fantastic looking Seiko, worth keeping

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Mine says hi!

As has been said, it’s a bit lumpy and feels that way on my wrist now as I have got used to smaller watches, saying that it’s one of the most beautiful watches to look at in the steel, it’s hard to put your finger on why it works so well but it just does..
    Mine is a 001 but have you considered the 017? Prices have gone up in recent years and a good 001 will hold its value should you decide it’s not for you..

I like a bit of weight to a watch and I`ve got small wrists. Your Seiko, in my opinion, is well worth keeping even if it will ever hardly ever be worn, it looks fantastic.

The original SBDX001 version is no longer in production, so I expect the old pre-prospex dial will be sought after soon and the prices of these will go up. Get one earlier rather than later if you can.

The thing that attracts me the most is 36000bph...the second hand is so smooth, for an automatic lover its a fetish
    Yep, I want it

Master
    So do I but think it might have to be the Sharky😔

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    So do I but think it might have to be the Sharky😔
    A plus point is the build quality of the Sharky watches is very good.
    I bought a Sharky tuna to try for size before buying a Seiko
    I have to say I was impressed with the quality and even though I have a Seiko now I still wear the Sharky from time to time. I have no doubt the MM Sharky will be just as good quality as their other offerings.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 26th March 2019 at 11:32.

Yeah, the MM300 is a great watch. I’ve had a few. Whenever I haven’t had one I really want to own one. Lol I hate this hobby sometimes.

Few things about it though. It is heavy as people have said but also a big thick lump of a watch. I generally wore it on a nato but it really then sat too high.

It was only after I sold the last one I had I discovered Erika’s originals straps. They might be perfect for the MM300. Maybe I’ll get another and try it on this strap in the future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    A plus point is the build quality of the Sharky watches is very good.
    I bought a Sharky tuna to try for size before buying a Seiko
    I have to say I was impressed with the quality and even though I have a Seiko now I still wear the Sharky from time to time. I have no doubt the MM Sharky will be just as good quality as their other offerings.
    Thanks mate👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    What's the difference with the 001 and 017? I have an 017 and its a belting watch, highly underrated. There is the new spring drive version too.

it would appear not much

Over the years, Seiko released various Limited Edition models and finally replaced the SBDX001 with the latest SBDX017 a few years ago. This ultimate MM300 form is basically the same watch as SBDX001 but it has been treated with DiaShield coating to increase the scratch resistance. This subtle evolution is partially a reason why MM300 is called a Japanese Submariner because, similarly to the famous Rolex watch, it hasn’t changed much over the years, only improved with the latest industry achievements.
    Last edited by Middo; 26th March 2019 at 14:00.

Well obviously it is a fantastic watch. The main point is can you afford it? If you can and still having second thoughts, maybe MM300 isnt the watch for you so go cheaper

Master
    Do like the look of this one:

- - - Updated - - -

Although not sure on the triangle on the bezel at 12.

Master
    What do the 001 / 017 go for nowadays? The last time I looked and that was a couple of years ago they hovered around a grand...

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's a guy on FaceBook called MBG who does decent MM300 homages.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Mm300 is the nicest watch I can never wear - it’s very heavy, too heavy, and I’m gutted as I love the thing, it just needs to be 3mm smaller and 100g lighter ;)

This exactly - I was never comfortable with mine either.

Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001 Alternative?

It is heavy but the bracelet distributes the weight better than the stiff rubber strap

OP I had a MM300 and sold it. I still miss it but like you I wasn't sure about that amount of money on that watch. I now have an SBDC063 which is referred to as a MM200 and for £600 posted from a bricks and mortar UK store I'm super impressed.

Only downside is I prefer the waffle strap on the mm300 and had to pay nearly £60 to get a genuine one.

My perfect 44mm watches, at least on my wish list are:
    1. Citizen grand touring (black, looks like PAM) and
    2. Citizen grand touring sport (300m diver)

Both with Miyota 9012 (28800bph, 40+ hrs)

A lot of watch for the money IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It is heavy but the bracelet distributes the weight better than the stiff rubber strap
    It is hard to explain why the MM300 looks so good but this image shows it well, it’s just a damn sexy watch..

There is something special about the MM300 to me. Yes it is thick and heavy but it always brings a smile to my face. The depth of the dial, the finishing of the hands, the case shape and finishing. Somehow it just all works (to me)

Craftsman
    I've been looking at the Marinemaster SBDX001 for a long time now as it's one of my favourite watches but just cannot afford to purchase one. Looking into cheaper alternatives the only one I can find sort of close is the Orient 300m Saturation. Don't find this as nice as the Seiko but it's a lot cheaper and if I save, and sell, should be able to purchase it. Just wondering if there's anything else out there that I should be looking at that's similar in design to the Seiko? All input very much apreciated.
    Ive been down the road of trying to scratch an expensive itch with a cheaper alternative. It does not work.
    All that is achieved is you waste money and take longer to get the watch you really want.

I never really enjoyed any cheaper alternatives either, every time i looked at them i just saw the differences between them, and the watch i really wanted.

My advice is to just keep saving and get the watch you want. It will take longer but you will then have exactly what you want, not a cheap imitation.

That is one way. The other way is to get cheaper alternative. Who knows?Maybe you will like it, we are not all the same

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    The original SBDX001 version is no longer in production, so I expect the old pre-prospex dial will be sought after soon and the prices of these will go up. Get one earlier rather than later if you can.

My thoughts too,doubt mine will go anywhere soon.In fact having read the thread I might just get mine out to see the light of day after several months asleep!.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    There is something special about the MM300 to me. Yes it is thick and heavy but it always brings a smile to my face.
    That smile is the greater pleasure of ownership. They are mostly unwieldy to actually wear. IMO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by martyloveswatches View Post
    Why dont try the OSD300? It is one of best value for the money divers out there and you are thinking of it...
    I think MM300 is a great watch but servicing is a bit complicated, if I am not mistaken

I had an Orient Saturation Diver 300m, nice big watch that kept great time, but I couldn't get over the fact that it has a plastic movement holder. So in the end it had to go.

I didnt know that. I am not servicing my watches, dont have the knowledge to do that (maybe in tims...)
    But isnt servicing MM300 (too) complicated?By that I mean expensive if you have to send it away especially

Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    I had an Orient Saturation Diver 300m, nice big watch that kept great time, but I couldn't get over the fact that it has a plastic movement holder. So in the end it had to go.
    I'm sorry, but that is exceptionally dumb. Orient did everything in the OSD as well as they possibly could - they are massively proud of the watch. Every choice was purposeful. Plastic was used precisely because it was the perfect fit for the purpose.

Well, my OSD should arrive in a few days so I will gladly state first impression...

Thanks for all the replies I'm now thinking even if I did save enough for the MM could I justify paying that much (spending that much on myself) when I have a family and mortgage (which I'm trying to pay off early) that come first? I suppose that's why I'm drawn towards a cheaper alternative, less guilt on my part. Going to look into the posted suggestions, thanks again all.
    I did this for 8yrs, in that time there was quite a price increase on a new model, in the end I just bought one this was a few years back now, as mentioned not everybody gets on with how it wears.

A WTB on here might be the best option price wise, if you don't get on with it just put it back for sale on here, good luck

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Ive been down the road of trying to scratch an expensive itch with a cheaper alternative. It does not work.
    All that is achieved is you waste money and take longer to get the watch you really want.

I never really enjoyed any cheaper alternatives either, every time i looked at them i just saw the differences between them, and the watch i really wanted.

My advice is to just keep saving and get the watch you want. It will take longer but you will then have exactly what you want, not a cheap imitation.
    I think from reading between the lines that the OP thinks that even if he saved for the MM, spending c£2k on a watch is not justifiable in his current circumstances. Sometimes we can't have what we want so have to accept an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is exceptionally dumb. Orient did everything in the OSD as well as they possibly could - they are massively proud of the watch. Every choice was purposeful. Plastic was used precisely because it was the perfect fit for the purpose.
    Agree. Orient 300m saturation diver is a damn good watch. Not a fan of the bracelet but otherwise darn near perfect. A plastic movement holder makes sense and does not deter me from owning or wearing with pleasure.

As for the OP, the sharky copy is decent enough. I have one and have no complaints but my preference is the SBDX 0017, my favourite Seiko in the non GS range and I would include it in my list of five best dive watches ever.