closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone In Property That Can Give Me Some Advice

Apprentice

Anyone In Property That Can Give Me Some Advice

Hi Guys,

Just curious to find out more about building a portfolio of property's and possibly the easiest way to do so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrhayes1oak View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just curious to find out more about building a portfolio of property's and possibly the easiest way to do so.

I think that's rather too generic a question, to be honest!

You can own property personally or via a company but the tax considerations for each will be different. If you are needing to borrow funds to purchase property, you may find it easier to borrow as an individual but others will know more about that than me.

The easiest way of acquiring a portfolio might be to acquire from a landlord exiting the market like this chap: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47612106.

I suspect that they would be selling through agents so you could contact them and let them know what you are after.

If you have ready funds to purchase as a cash buyer then the structuring and sourcing property are the easy bits!

I’ve accumulated some property and have done it the hard way, buying cheap property with potential in poor condition for cash and then funding and managing the refurbishment myself.

The other approach is to borrow of course...

If I can give you one tip, it would be to detach yourself, and not to look for property you would like to live in (or avoid property you don’t want to live in). You won’t be living in it!

Incidentally while most of my property is outside the UK I have a house in SE London divided into two maisonettes, one of which I use and the other is undergoing renovation for rental. It’s close to the soon to open Woolwich Crossrail. I look forward to my house value going skyward as every other previously affordable part of London has over the last 50 years!

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post

... If I can give you one tip, it would be to detach yourself, and not to look for property you would like to live in (or avoid property you don’t want to live in). You won’t be living in it!
    I see the point you're making, but I'm not sure I would agree entirely.

My father always said that you should only buy an investment property that you would be prepared to live in, because one day you might have to. I can still remember Mum and Dad living a 2 bed flat along with the contents of a 5 bedroom detached house, due to having opportunistically sold the latter for a particularly useful figure before having even started to look for a replacement.

More objectively, one of the aspects of an investment property that you should perhaps consider is its relative liquidity. Some properties are easy to sell – and others are not. It's not always just about asking price.

If you have the kind of property that appeals to a wide range of buyers, you can reasonably expect to cash it in at shorter notice than something which you had bought cheaply from an auction.

Master
    Your post is so vague, there's not really anything to go on.

However I would give two bits of advice:

1. From personal experience I would always buy better quality property. The returns may be less, but historically there's been more potential for growth. Most of what I have are 2 and 3 bed houses and bungalows on nice estate built in the last 10 to 40 years. Always slightly cheaper than buying on new estates where generally you pay over the odds, but find the new build quality (and size) is less. I don't live in a city so release that it would be different there.

2. Legislation and tax has changed so much in recent years that it's not the get rich quick route that it once was. Tax relief being cut, 3% extra tax on purchase, more involved landlord responsibilities, rental calculations for mortgages etc etc. It's a different world and one that won't suit a lot of people.

Finally do a lot of research and make sure its a road you want to go down long term.

The easiest way to do so would be to buy a block of apartments then you have an instant portfolio, and all your portfolio is in one location. Not sure it's the best way to go about it though, all eggs in one basket.

I have seen a couple of buildings come up, 5-12 apartments look like a manageable size for one landlord.

If you really want to get into property search Progressive Property and get educated and it'll really open your eyes to what can be achieved. It will cost though!

Hi Guys,

Did your grandad buy you a portfolio of property's too?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Did your grandad buy you a portfolio of property's too?
    Are you ok ?

Trolling again are we?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

As above but 3 bedrooms are more rentable than 2 and some areas have better price:earnings ratio (you want somewhere in the sweet spot between high employment rates and low property prices)

Hi Guys,

Get a hotel or at least 4 houses on Mayfair asap

Master
    Dont spaff your money on fancy watches till you well established, and its not what it used to be.

Hi Guys,

You will need to give us some context otherwise this question is somewhere between being far too generic and just plain daft expecting a useful answer.

What's your budget? What property type? Any particular geography? What is your end goal? Who would be involved?

Also begs the question.........if you're really serious you might be better asking people directly who work in the business not a bunch of faceless strangers.

You do realise that the question was asked over 4 years ago, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    You do realise that the question was asked over 4 years ago, don't you?
    Ha. No I didn't spot that.

I assume the OP now has a suitably balanced portfolio funded at low interest rates so doesn't need any further advice!