closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Straps with quick release springbars

Straps with quick release springbars

I'm considering using these for a future model but have no experience of them. Does anyone have watches fitted with these and what are the pros and cons?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I've had a few. After a while the hole that the quick release lever comes through seems to stretch and look untidy (on leather). And changing the bars for new ones can be a pain.

Personally, I don't like them. Most aftermarket straps don't have them, so inevitably I remove a quick release and the strap I'm using instead is traditional spring bars, so the benefits seem negligible.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Master
    I think it depends on the strap material. As mentioned above not great on leather but good for more durable stuff like bracelets, kevlar, rubber and NATOs. (not that you really need them for NATOs obviously)

They are very easy to use. As the pin is on the bottom side of the strap any stretching won’t be too visible.

Makes it quicker and easier to rotate straps more often. Neat trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've a few from Barton, both canvas and rubber. I think they're great, literally a couple of seconds to switch straps and I've had no accidents with them coming adrift while on the wrist.

Come standard on my Ming watches. I really like them and have had no issues with security, fit or deterioration over time. There is a possibility it is a new source of failure that has been added in, but I need more testing to see if that presents a problem. And I reckon it also depends on how well they've been engineered and manufactured (like everything else I guess).

I don't trust them. If I buy a strap with them in... I remove the original spring bars and replace them with my own. My philosophy is that if something can get undone, it will get undone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I don't trust them. If I buy a strap with them in... I remove the original spring bars and replace them with my own. My philosophy is that if something can get undone, it will get undone.
    +1

Drilled lugs is the way to go.

Given the trauma involved in changing the strap on a Tudor Black Bay Heritage, these seemed like the ideal solution. A recent purchase included a couple of straps with quick release springbars, so I quickly installed them. However, they pop out all the time. Even bending my wrist causes the spring bar to release. I'm not sure if this is a design fault on the Dan Henry springbar, or linked to the Tudor lugs. But either way, it's ended up with a Tudor crashing to the floor...

Only for amateurs. Never trusted them and wouldn't dream of fitting a strap that had them. Prefer Cousins Swiss SS spring bars so I know what I'm getting. Only takes probably a couple of minutes to change a strap with non-drilled lugs anyway, so fail to see the point of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Given the trauma involved in changing the strap on a Tudor Black Bay Heritage, these seemed like the ideal solution. A recent purchase included a couple of straps with quick release springbars, so I quickly installed them. However, they pop out all the time. Even bending my wrist causes the spring bar to release. I'm not sure if this is a design fault on the Dan Henry springbar, or linked to the Tudor lugs. But either way, it's ended up with a Tudor crashing to the floor...
    I bought some of the tweezers for removing the spring bars on the black bay. Seem to have similar tolerance to Rolex, so a bugger to remove with the standard bergeon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

They are fantastic but with a caveat. If the springbar breaks it’s the mother of all jobs to get a new one in, so normally end up tossing the strap

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I don't trust them. My philosophy is that if something can get undone, it will get undone.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Drilled lugs is the way to go.

As above.
    F.T.F.A.

I've used Brady Sailcloth straps on a few watches and they are completely foolproof. So easy to use and as solid as a rock and no need for any tools and it also removes the risk of scratching the lugs.

I had a Cartier Roadster Chrono that came with this system and 3 straps - steel braclet / sailcloth type / leather

I always thought it was a neat system albeit it forced you to buy Cartier replacements. Albeit that model of watch required a pretty bespoke look

I always wondered why others didn't follow

I’ve never had an issue with any of the Brady Sailcloths I’ve had or the one other (leather) strap I had them on.
    I thought they were a good idea...

Just shows, ask for some advice on here and you rarely get agreement from all!

Cheers,
    Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple of quick release Barton canvas straps. The springbars appear to me to be as reliable and sturdy as any others, but since most of my straps are not quick release, I'm not really saving much time by having a couple that are. Maybe if a watch is sold with a pair of straps that are meant to be used interchangeably, and both sets are quick release, that would be somewhat useful.

A couple of my Christopher Ward watches came with quick release bar/strap combos and they were a joy to use.

Pros: makes changing straps a doddle
    Cons: the only time I've had a spring bar fail, it was one of these

If there wasn't one or more significant drawbacks I don't see why they wouldn't have become the de facto standard, given how easy they make strap changing.

Master
    Had them on my CW watches. Certainly made changing straps a doddle. But that said, changing a strap with regular spring bars is also a doddle so I've never really seen the need for them.

Had them on a number of Camille Fournet straps and they have always been superb - no issues at all. Jager Le Coutre have them available on OEM straps which should say alot about them not having any inherent issues.

Craftsman
    I have them on a couple of (rubber) straps and never had a problem, even activities like sailing when stuff takes a bashing never an issue. Had a couple of "ordinary" springboard go though, Both Orient mako's though!.
    Cheers, John B4

Journeyman
    I have them on a fair few of my straps and I'm a big fan. You can switch, mix and play around with straps in just seconds and it also saves on scratching the back of the lugs. The only downside I've found, is if you have something like an SKX, which has larger springbar holes for fatty springbars.

Craftsman
    If I got a watch which had them, I'd replace them with normal bars. When at all possible (that is with drilled lugs) I always use long tipped shoulderless bars. I like drilled lugs because they allow for the use of shoulderless bars. I don't use straps fitting loosely on the springbars (like open end and Nato straps) with shouldered bars because the strap may move around and catch the shoulders of the bar thereby tearing it loose. I almost lost an IWC 3706 that way years ago. When in a supermarket, my wife said: "Doesn't that look like a watch in the cart?" It sure did - it was my IWC and I hadn't noticed it come loose from my wrist. When I checked after I came home, I was able to have the springbar loosen time after time by just wiggling the strap around. It was a lesson learnt.

I can swap straps with a normal spring bar tool in 1-2 minutes or less, so I don't feel any need for quick release springbars.
    Last edited by Leif; 26th March 2019 at 19:14.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Cons: the only time I've had a spring bar fail, it was one of these
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Had a couple of "ordinary" springboard go though!
    Are no spring bars safe‽

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    When at all possible (that is with drilled lugs) I always use long tipped shoulderless bars. I like drilled lugs because they allow for the use of shoulderless bars. I don't use open end or loosely fitting straps (certainly including Nato straps) with shouldered bars because the strap may move around and catch the shoulders of the bar thereby tearing it loose.
    Flanges, not shoulders. According to some, anyway.

I’m another user who has nothing but good things to say about Brady sailcloth straps with the qr springbars.

I assume this is because the springbars they fit are good quality, and also that the sailcloth material is quite stiff/firm (meaning that the strap doesn’t flex at the lugs).

Simon