closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: drinking/internet shopping - the “oh dear” thread

drinking/internet shopping - the “oh dear” thread

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times here but seems a some of us like a bowl too many of loudmouth soup, or a shade more than the RDA of vino of an evening/weekend, then end up buying stuff online that might not have been bought under normal circumstances. eBay etc.

So, here for your confession and absolution, you can admit and be cleansed. No judgement.

For me, recently (this month, or list is too long):

This weekend:
    £2k on a Tudor BB (I already own one of the same model, was just testing the water on the “make an offer” option of eBay)

2 weeks ago:
    A Globe cruiser skateboard (only found out the following day I had bid on it and won)
    A “tactical” pen. For writing. And smashing car windows and going full Jason Bourne on people.

Anyone else got an unexpected treat coming in the mail this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I’ve seen this mentioned a few times here but seems a some of us like a bowl too many of loudmouth soup, or a shade more than the RDA of vino of an evening/weekend, then end up buying stuff online that might not have been bought under normal circumstances. eBay etc.

So, here for your confession and absolution, you can admit and be cleansed. No judgement.

For me, recently (this month, or list is too long):

This weekend:
    £2k on a Tudor BB (I already own one of the same model, was just testing the water on the “make an offer” option of eBay)

2 weeks ago:
    A Globe cruiser skateboard (only found out the following day I had bid on it and won)
    A “tactical” pen. For writing. And smashing car windows and going full Jason Bourne on people.

Anyone else got an unexpected treat coming in the mail this week?

Bought a 2 month old Aprilia Tuono on ebay on the spur of the moment during a 'session'.
    Was looking for a battery charger.
    Turned out to be a fabulous bike.

I enjoy a pint and finest quality prawns

I once whilst just browsing ebay accidentally bid against my son an amount 10 times higher then the item was actually worth.

My son, shortly after winning shouted out some idiot has paid 10 times what it’s worth. When it arrived I handed the item over to my son saying I got it cheap

Master
    The amount of crap I buy off wish.com is daft. If you haven’t shopped there before then don’t start now – it’s full of stuff you don’t even know that you want (especially after a few drinks). Just last week I took delivery of a Firestarter/flint, some strange knife type claw you put your finger through to wield, a mini rubiks cube and a pair of socks that look like rashers of bacon. Most entertainingly, all of this tat comes from China and takes weeks to arrive so if you get a few purchases in you'll find a steady stream of surprises turning up!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Picking View Post
    I enjoy a pint and finest quality prawns
    Ha ha!
    I am lost, but also now want some beer and prawns!

A few years ago when I still smoked I purchased a ‘genuine’ Vietnam zippo lighter from eBay after a glass or two of red. It must have been all of 2 years old when inspected on arrival.......

Master
    Ok not as exciting as some but my Mrs couldn’t fathom the quantity of my most recent (slightly inebriated.. ok a lot inebriated purchase) that being 20 pairs of heel tread socks.. I’m only guessing I couldn’t decide which homage to famous motor cars I liked best and well.. bought all of them, they will last a while I’m sure and I think it’s a close run thing between the golf Gti and Audi Quattro socks as to which is the nicest but really they all are

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    heel tread socks..
    Wow you spend a lot on socks, both per pair and in total!! Never heard of the brand, but now I can see I need at least a few pairs from here, damn you.

Master
    Last year I bid on a job lot of almost 100 funko pop vinyl figures. It was a big bid, but the sort of number that i figured had no real chance of winning.
    Of course I won them... and it was collection only too! Still, nice drive to Sheffield. My wife went utterly mental, so most were sold on again (at a fair loss) but i still have a few hidden at work. :) :)

Master
    ^ FFS something else I didn’t know existed and now want! This place is terrible for bank balances.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A villa in Turkey. The whole purchase conversation was later traced to me being hammered at Global gathering.

Not me, but my buddy from work. He developed an interest in canoes, his Mrs said hell no! He used to Google them after a few brews and literally dreamed of owning one.
    One Saturday morning he spied a courier van on his street and got nosey. He watched the delivery guy unload a canoe and thought wow, I wonder which neighbour has bought a canoe and can I borrow it? He watched in confusion as the courier turned into his drive way, then the door bell rang. He described this as the moment the fog started to clear from his memory, and a hazy recollection of a drunken eBay session started to unfold. Still confused he signed for the canoe and dragged it into the house. A quick check on eBay confirmed a 2 AM purchase the previous Saturday. His wife was due home soon, and the next 20 minutes was spent in a panic trying to find a canoe sized hiding place in a 3 bed semi. Long story short, a week in the dog house, but he kept the day-glow green canoe... used it once, nearly drowned, and now trips over it every time he goes into his garage. He won't sell due to the inevitable... I told you so lecture.

I once bought a bmx diamond back Harry Leary turbo. I dreamed of the said BMX as a kid and there it was 20 years later. £1000 lighter I picked it up, attempted to ride it and sold it next day for £700.

My favourite story was of a friend who woke up with a thumping hangover-induced headache, which worsened when he opened up his computer to find he was the winning eBay bidder on a motorcycle/sidecar combo - of which he had zero recollection of even seeing the item.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Drunken bidding

I bought a pair of carbon dymags for my bike from Dymag when drunk £2500 with ceramic bearings on line
    Next day I forgot then bought a pair of magnesium ones when I was sober as the carbon ones were too expensive
    The carbon ones arrived 1st. I thought wey hey they’ve delivered carbon by mistake. Then that afternoon the others arrived confused I rang the supplier
    Yep I had bought both. Doh
    Need to build another bike to go with the new wheels

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyblackbeard View Post
    Not me, but my buddy from work. He developed an interest in canoes, his Mrs said hell no! He used to Google them after a few brews and literally dreamed of owning one.
    One Saturday morning he spied a courier van on his street and got nosey. He watched the delivery guy unload a canoe and thought wow, I wonder which neighbour has bought a canoe and can I borrow it? He watched in confusion as the courier turned into his drive way, then the door bell rang. He described this as the moment the fog started to clear from his memory, and a hazy recollection of a drunken eBay session started to unfold. Still confused he signed for the canoe and dragged it into the house. A quick check on eBay confirmed a 2 AM purchase the previous Saturday. His wife was due home soon, and the next 20 minutes was spent in a panic trying to find a canoe sized hiding place in a 3 bed semi. Long story short, a week in the dog house, but he kept the day-glow green canoe... used it once, nearly drowned, and now trips over it every time he goes into his garage. He won't sell due to the inevitable... I told you so lecture.
    Tell him (if he's still interested in canoes) to get himself to Plas y Brenin for a canoeing course. I don't paddle, but I've been there plenty of times for climbing and mountaineering courses and it's a fantastic place to pick up the skills. They will surely put him right.

Craftsman
    Once upon a time I asked, on another unrelated forum, what was the best time to end an auction on eBay. The best answer was "Beer-o'clock' Says it all going by the foregoing and I do believe it may have worked for me :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Wow you spend a lot on socks, both per pair and in total!! Never heard of the brand, but now I can see I need at least a few pairs from here, damn you.

I just like to think the alcohol was thinking of my feet, also won’t need to buy any socks for a while .. possibly a few years

When I used to drink I once bought a pack of fifty bin bags instead of the usual 100.

Imagine my chagrin!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    i dont drink much at all nowadays and never at home but back in the days when i did about ten years ago ,i had more than i should have had and went browsing.i found the next day i had bought 2 identical awfull quartz clones of the Militare type and a very nice reasonably priced ww2 era leonidas chronograph.still got it,runs a treat...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Last year I bid on a job lot of almost 100 funko pop vinyl figures. It was a big bid, but the sort of number that i figured had no real chance of winning.
    Of course I won them... and it was collection only too! Still, nice drive to Sheffield. My wife went utterly mental, so most were sold on again (at a fair loss) but i still have a few hidden at work. :) :)

Slight de-ja-vu here from Saturday after a very heavy afternoon out celebrating the wifes birthday.

As well as posting a pile of crap on here and upsetting some folks here on TZUK, on You-Tube and on e.bay, I evidently joined PopCultcha (an Austrialian based collectables website) and spent just over £120 on some more Pop Vinyl figures.

I didn't even have the good sense to use my work address for delivery. I suspect a large parcel is going to arrive in the middle of the Easter holidays while wifey is home with the kids.
    Still, Venomized Loki and a set of Thanos "Infinity Stone" Chromes winging their way...

Does a wife count?
    J

Master
    Woke up a few weeks back (on a Saturday morning) to find an email from C.W.Sellors saying thanks for the purchase of the Casio MR-G for £2400! Went into panic mode as there no way I could spend that then it dawned on me I'd been looking at their website the night before while rather inebriated. Had to do a quick phone call to cancel the order🙄

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a Toyota Hilux Surf whilst under the influence.
    Turned out to be a great car to be honest! Sometimes, drunk Dave knows best it would seem!

Master
    Crumbs at it again.. a nice Bluetooth speaker this time, it’s really good I think but didn’t really need one.. Mrs M spotted the order on the emails and told me off already

Master
    A few years back I drunk bid on a Diahatsu fourtrak off-roader complete with winch the works, when I realised the next morning I’d won I thought “sod it, it’ll be good fun” I then realised obviously collection only and it was based in Bude. I was right it was good fun but driving home at around 50mph for around 7 hours on off-road tires was not.

Master
    I love this thread! I've been so close to this many times, but have never (yet....?!) ended up on the wrong end of it!

An aiming sight for a 2lb light artillery piece arrived this week.
    All because it was made locally to me...
    In 1914...
    Still it goes well with the artificial horizon taken from a Gloster Meteor MK8 that I bought a few years ago.
    She can buy another cushion or candle if she wants.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    An aiming sight for a 2lb light artillery piece arrived this week.
    All because it was made locally to me...
    In 1914...
    Still it goes well with the artificial horizon taken from a Gloster Meteor MK8 that I bought a few years ago.
    She can buy another cushion or candle if she wants.
    Pretty much my attitude towards it too.. she thinks I’ve got a problem, I refer her back to the amount of cushions and candles

Master
    Pretty much my attitude towards it too.. she thinks I’ve got a problem, I refer her back to the amount of cushions and candles

Don't get me started on cushions. I recently instigated a one in one out policy when I discovered we had thirty clogging up the attic. Suppose I should have used them as extra insulation.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Craftsman
    So really there's a hole in the market for a laptop/pc usb breath module preventing bidding/purchase access when over the limit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    So really there's a hole in the market for a laptop/pc usb breath module preventing bidding/purchase access when over the limit.
    Oh yes, and for that reason I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines but drunk me knows best and drunk me would do everything possible to circumnavigate the restriction. I'm thinking imaginative use of family pets and/or hair dryers....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    The amount of crap I buy off wish.com is daft. If you haven’t shopped there before then don’t start now – it’s full of stuff you don’t even know that you want (especially after a few drinks). Just last week I took delivery of a Firestarter/flint, some strange knife type claw you put your finger through to wield, a mini rubiks cube and a pair of socks that look like rashers of bacon. Most entertainingly, all of this tat comes from China and takes weeks to arrive so if you get a few purchases in you'll find a steady stream of surprises turning up!

This !!

I have a pair of donkey hooves socks, numerous silly woolly hats, a clown mask, some silicone rings (hmmm), 100 yards of paracord, a kangaroo scrotum coin purse, several ID card holders with built in recoil action, a wooden toothbrush and LOADS of other tat.

Doesn't even matter if you're not drunk when you order (although the quantity of utter s##t tends to be lower), cos you don't get it for a couple of weeks, by which time you've forgotten that you ordered it anyway.

Happy days

Master
    Fell foul last night after a curry and a load of cobra. See an email this morning thanking me for my order. 135 SGD spent and I have no idea what I bought. I think that is about 80 sterling, so due a big surprise in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago I woke up and thought I dreamt I had bought a 1970's Land Rover from Sales Corner for my dad's birthday gift. Checked my email later that day and found I wasn't dreaming!!

Most expensive drunken purchase ever because I had it delivered from Bradford to Norfolk only to find my dad was not as happy as I had imagined he would be. So I agreed with my dad to split the cost to "tidy it up".

So £2,500 for the car plus the £5,000 for my half of the restoration cost has taught me not to drink and browse Sales Corner.

When I worked in advertising in London during the 90’s and 00’s, I bought many a Rolex, Panerai or Omega after a ‘working lunch’ - never lost any money and kept them for a couple of years before ‘rinse, repeat’ !
    Fast forward to now, I don’t own a single Swiss mechanical, don’t drink during the day, don’t work in London and don’t work in advertising. I’ve come to realise I associate a fancy watch on my wrist with my old lifestyle which is well and truly in the past. Looking at the new prices, all those subs and moonwatches were very cheap back in the day though! - glad I was drunk shopping when it was a bit less mental than now !

Not recently, but a few years ago Mrs Gyp and myself couldn't agree on plans for the summer holiday. Her aspirations were far greater than my wallet would countenance (actually, not a lot has changed). I wasn't going to pay for the outrageous holidays she was showing me and she wasn't going to accept the ones I was suggesting either.

In an attempt to break the impasse, we came up with a plan. If we sat round the laptop and started drinking heavily, I might be willing to spend more and she might be willing to compromise too.

I dragged my wrecked self out of bed the next morning and checked the laptop next to the strewn empty wine bottles only to discover that the plan had sort of worked. We were neither spending a month in the Maldives, nor camping in the Cotswolds, but had booked a week in a Centerparcs in Holland.

OK, the place was described in the reviews as resembling a 1950's Russian estate, being strewn with duck poo and being right next to the largest sewage works in Europe, but we had a great time :-)

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    This !!

I have a pair of donkey hooves socks, numerous silly woolly hats, a clown mask, some silicone rings (hmmm), 100 yards of paracord, a kangaroo scrotum coin purse, several ID card holders with built in recoil action, a wooden toothbrush and LOADS of other tat.

Doesn't even matter if you're not drunk when you order (although the quantity of utter s##t tends to be lower), cos you don't get it for a couple of weeks, by which time you've forgotten that you ordered it anyway.

Happy days
    ... and all appearing on Sales Corner some time soon!

Craftsman
    Multiples of the same thing, I only need one of but also like to have a spare.
    Then I perhaps buy a third because it is a bargain.
    I like shopping and cannot resist a bargain.

The saddest things is that my grown up children always check if 'I have one in stock' before buying most things.
    I need to stop buying spares as I will need to live to 150 to use what I already have.

I honestly didn’t *need* another c.1310 MegaQuartz with the TV dial. Especially not for £600! Drunken bidding at its most basic.

On the the upside I still haven’t heard a peep from the seller so perhaps he will back out. It sold at its opening bid price, his hilariously optimistic buy-it-now was nearly £900!

Master
    This.

Worse part.... It was local deal and I could have just walked away, or claim it was not stated as gold plated (it did look like steel on pics in ad) but what a hell.

Now I own swiss made JL in full gold plating.

It could be worse. ... Or not. ..

I also got this

Seiko Kinetic?!

Well.. not quite. Sharp (!?) with russian Slava 27 jewel movement.

Good thing it came in 10 watch lot with bunch of NOS Seikos, so it was a good catch...
    Last edited by sinner77; 8th April 2019 at 19:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    A few years ago when I still smoked I purchased a ‘genuine’ Vietnam zippo lighter from eBay after a glass or two of red. It must have been all of 2 years old when inspected on arrival.......
    In my drinking days I had a lovely battered brass zippo. Looked down at it on the bar with my fags and exclaimed that someone had nicked my lovely old lighter and replaced it with a shiny new one.

Much anguish etc later and the barman showed me his tin of Brasso and rag... Buffoon for a reason...

Glad i'm not he only one. Still I enjoy "scattering" them at every opportunity as the name implies.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    i dont drink much at all nowadays and never at home but back in the days when i did about ten years ago ,i had more than i should have had and went browsing.i found the next day i had bought 2 identical awfull quartz clones of the Militare type and a very nice reasonably priced ww2 era leonidas chronograph.still got it,runs a treat...
    That's really nice.

I have a very similar one...

Cheers,
    Neil.