closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A big hand for local, independent jewellers and watch makers

Master

A big hand for local, independent jewellers and watch makers

Mine is also very small, very watch knowledgeable (a real enthusiast and collector himself), very friendly and chatty and very modestly priced. I got my 1999 SMP back from him yesterday, he'd had his guy service it, an Omega trained watch maker. Full strip and service, guaranteed for year, a whopping £90. I'd like to give him a big, 'Thank you!'

Master
    Let us know of who he is as well so we can receive the same experience as you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I wasn't sure if that would be frowned upon, no? If i can say here i will, if not then I guess anyone looking for a service or something else watch related in London can PM me.

Jewellers and watchmakers are recommended all the time. It would be good to know of another option in London.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Mine is also very small, very watch knowledgeable (a real enthusiast and collector himself), very friendly and chatty and very modestly priced. I got my 1999 SMP back from him yesterday, he'd had his guy service it, an Omega trained watch maker. Full strip and service, guaranteed for year, a whopping £90. I'd like to give him a big, 'Thank you!'
    £90!!!!! Jesus, thats good

Craftsman
    Sounds like a great find. Would love to know who it is as well, by PM if you prefer.

Many thanks

Master
    Looks like it's ok then. I'm lucky to live in SE19 so a short walk from crystal palace jewellers. It's a tiny little shop, very unassuming, but Daryll the proprietor is a watch enthusiast and friendly guy. He always has an interesting selection of vintage watches in the window, often in the few hundred price range. Normally these are a few omega, tag, occasionally a Cartier, sometimes longine and well, it's always worth a quick glance in the window to see what's there. and a few higher end pieces inside that he'll show to those that might be interested.
    He's helpful and seems to know the answer to any question I have, and has a great contact for servicing as I said already.

Master
    Oh and I should say, I spotted the SMP in his window least December, it was still there in January so I went in and had a closer look.... And well.... You know.... Bought it. After a month I'd determined the timekeeping was erratic so took it back. I guess the cheap service may be partly subsidised as it was a recent sale watch, I never asked as I was happy with the sale price. I'm sure a service there would be cheap though.

Grand Master
    Sorry, but I’m reading this differently!

You buy a watch that needs attention after only a short while, so the seller then charges you £90 to service it! Why wasn’t it serviced and sorted properly when it was sold?

If I service a SMP I always fit new seals (He valve, caseback, crown), a new mainspring and spring barrel. That’s around £30 in parts. Charging £90 total would leave £60 to cover labour charge (approx 4hrs), overheads and consumables (cleaning fluids, epilame solution, oils, etc) and a share for the taxman. On that basis our repairer is working v. cheaply, this is an automatic movement with date complication, there’s a fair amount of work involved.

I’ve no wish to piss on the OP’s fireworks, this guy might be OK, but there’s clearly a flip side to this coin!

Ideally, a dealer should ensure all watches sold have been correctly serviced, and sell them with a 12 month guarantee. If the watch has problems it should be fixed without further charge. The exception to this is if a watch is sold on ‘trade’ terms, in that case it’s sold as seen with no guarantee and that should be made clear.

My advice to anyone who’s getting a watch serviced is to find out exactly what’s getting done and what parts will be replaced. There’s no point replacing parts just for the sake of it, but sometimes it makes no sense to re-use old parts. I prefer complete transparancy, with parts and labour listed separately, but traditionally this isn’t common practice in the repair trade.

I must say, I agree with Paul - the watch shouldn't have been sold in such condition. The fact that it was erratic after just a couple of months post sale would mean I would be expecting the dealer to be paying for rectifying such issues, with no financial contribution on my part, let alone £90. This wasn't a private sale where you couldn't expect for the seller to cover this, but a professional bricks and mortar store.

But so long as you're pleased, that is truly all that matters as it's your watch. Personally, this would be an 'avoid' shop.

Master
    I can understand they view entirely. All I can say is I feel fairly treated.

The watch was only bought in Jan, already needs a service and you've been charged? I'd be quite unhappy with that. Glad you're not, but I suspect you're in the minority.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I think this thread has very quickly become a recommendation to avoid this particular jeweller.

I'd be happy letting the likes of .olli. (of this forum), Simon Freese, Rich Askham or Duncan Potter loose on my 1999 SMP (they've all worked on other Omegas for me) but I'm sure they'd be charging at least £200 for the pleasure.
    "A man of little significance"

It sounded all good until the dates were mentioned.

Have to agree, I personally would not have been willing to pay to fix a problem from a retail outfit unless I had purchased on the basis of sold as seen with a discount?

£90 service? A WD40 special.

Craftsman
    Ive used the watch doctor in tring hertfordshire for many watches
    Great service and fair prices

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I was hoping this watch might appear on this week's Friday thread

Master
    Can't show it, as i've flipped it. Been waiting for the deal to complete before posting back but as in my view it is further proof that Daryll is a worthwhile person to deal with I will now give the details. When I was in the shop collecting the Seamaster he mentioned he should be getting some Subs in soon, he knew I was vaguely interested in a Sub already. Then last Saturday I got a text from him, a Sub, and a SubC, just in. I was already on the way to the park with my kids so 15 minutes later, while my SO took the kids to the library for a while I popped in to the shop. The Sub was not for me, its priced fairly enough in my view but its had a hard life and just been on the receiving end of not the best polish. the subC though...3.5 years old, unworn, stickered, box, papers, tags. I was told the price and that seemed good. I said I'd think about it. Before leaving I asked about a trade in price for the seamaster. I thought about it until last night when i text to see if Daryll would open early to let me see the subC again before i headed to work....I ended up trading back the seamaster and making a slight profit on it even after the service, trading against the SubC.

So if you want to see the seamaster, its likely in the shop window, or could be inside and on Daryll's wrist...it was as i left the shop, in place of the Patek he had been wearing....his wrist seems to be an extension of the window, somewhere for the stock to sit.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Can't show it, as i've flipped it. Been waiting for the deal to complete before posting back but as in my view it is further proof that Daryll is a worthwhile person to deal with I will now give the details. When I was in the shop collecting the Seamaster he mentioned he should be getting some Subs in soon, he knew I was vaguely interested in a Sub already. Then last Saturday I got a text from him, a Sub, and a SubC, just in. I was already on the way to the park with my kids so 15 minutes later, while my SO took the kids to the library for a while I popped in to the shop. The Sub was not for me, its priced fairly enough in my view but its had a hard life and just been on the receiving end of not the best polish. the subC though...3.5 years old, unworn, stickered, box, papers, tags. I was told the price and that seemed good. I said I'd think about it. Before leaving I asked about a trade in price for the seamaster. I thought about it until last night when i text to see if Daryll would open early to let me see the subC again before i headed to work....I ended up trading back the seamaster and making a slight profit on it even after the service, trading against the SubC.

So if you want to see the seamaster, its likely in the shop window, or could be inside and on Daryll's wrist...it was as i left the shop, in place of the Patek he had been wearing....his wrist seems to be an extension of the window, somewhere for the stock to sit.
    Congratulations on the new watch. And never mind, you can always post that one in the Friday thread

Master
    I could...although its a safe queen for the moment. SO and i finally getting hitched in the summer so...if I'm really good..maybe..just maybe....hmm