closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One watch or a small collection?

One watch or a small collection?

I'm sure this is a question that lots of you have contemplated. I am saving up for a black bay 58, or at least I was. I was after one nice watch, that could pretty much be a daily wearer. But now I'm wondering whether, for the same money, I should consider a small collection? Something like the Sinn 104 plus a Seiko monster and maybe a G-Shock. I think I'm stuck either way, because if I get the bb58, I'll want some diversity, while if I get the collection, I'll be hankering after the bb58!

Forum members, what would you do if you were in the same position? Interested in your opinions.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Continue saving, get the bb58. Continue saving, get the Seiko Monster.

Or buy the Seiko Monster now, and save a little longer for the Tudor.

Master
    Start a relationship with your local Rolex AD. Nurture that relationship by turning up to the shop every week. Get on a waiting list for a bog standard dull watch, and put away £5 a week. By time the watch is available you’ll have saved enough. Or buy the Seiko. That’s what I’d do, and that will just be the start of your watch journey. In 5 years time you’ll do a SOTC with 10 watches! :)

Master
    If you go the tudor route, you'll find yourself wanting something for when you don't want to risk your tudor. Go the seiko route, and you'll still want the tudor you wanted to start with.

Craftsman
    Consider that the BB58 will be the first chapter of your modest collection, followed by a Pelagos, and then a BB GMT..........hey presto...your descent into WIS and ultimate ruination.......

Craftsman
    If the tudor is what you really want it I'd get that first and then look to add the seiko monster etc in due course.

Just do what you like - but there’s nothing the Seiko does that the bb58 doesn’t; If it was me I’d get the Tudor and just enjoy it :)

Thanks all. 90% sure I'll get the bb58, possibly with a monster to follow at a later date.

Journeyman
    I have a few lower end automatics, while I wear and enjoy them all I still lust after something a bit special. Given the choice I would get the Tudor.

Master
    I’d get the Tudor first and then source a 2nd hand monster later on. Or go 2nd hand and you could do both.
    Remember unless it’s Rolex Sports , Patek Nautilus or Speedmaster Limited editions you wipe 25% of the value as soon as you walk out the shop.
    Sensible 2nd hand purchasing is the way to go for collection building

Craftsman
    I think one watch is best

I'd save for the one you want and cherish it as a 'best' watch but also consider some cheap/good value quartz watches as beaters to have as well. I have a BLNR that I adore but it's a special watch so my every day watches are G-Shock 5610, CWC G10 (with loads of different natos), a Swatch and a couple of other Casios. At the 'beater' price point (sub £200) I think quartz is the way to go because the timekeeping of mechanical watches at this price is unacceptable. If you are lucky enough to be able to live with quartz watches there are many inexpensive options to keep you interested.

Master
    One excellent watch. Plus one decent quartz. Remember, ‘’less is more.’’
    Avoid the constant accumulation of ‘things’.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    I think one watch is best
    Perhaps someone should offer to sell him their bb58?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by will128small View Post
    I'm sure this is a question that lots of you have contemplated. I am saving up for a black bay 58, or at least I was. I was after one nice watch, that could pretty much be a daily wearer. But now I'm wondering whether, for the same money, I should consider a small collection? Something like the Sinn 104 plus a Seiko monster and maybe a G-Shock. I think I'm stuck either way, because if I get the bb58, I'll want some diversity, while if I get the collection, I'll be hankering after the bb58!

Forum members, what would you do if you were in the same position? Interested in your opinions.

Do whatever floats your boat! When it boils down to it watches are not much more than functional jewelery nowdays and thera are not many people who couldnt operate without one. They are a hobby, and most of the hobby is massively subjective. A watch i love, someone else hates, a movement i think is great, someone else thinks is junk, a style i think is worthy of my wrist, someone else wouldnt look twice at.

If you want just one watch, buy just one watch. If you want 3 and can afford them without spending money needed for real live, then go get 3 watches!

In your case, think about walking about the town with your BB58.
    Then think about walking about town with the sinn, comming home and putting it in the watch box along with the g shock and monster.

Which thought makes you happier? which one makes your gut feel a little less well? Go with that.

Of the four watches mentioned I would get the BB58.

However in general terms I can’t think of any one watch that I would prefer to having a collection of a few different watches.

Grand Master
    i think the answer is you aim for one watch, but end up with 20!
    i've just shrunk my collection back down a bit after getting up to 19 again, but 12 seems a better number...for now!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Play the long game, build up a collection of watches you like and try to buysecondhand at sharp prices. Accept it’ll take several years, I’ve been at it for approx 25! Never sell a watch you really like just to get something else, its a recioe for disappointment. The only reason to let one go is if you’ve really gone off it, wven then its not a decision to take lightly.

Don’t fall into the trap of buying stuff that all looks alike, one black-dialled steel diver is pretty much the same as another, it’s a bit like cats, they all look alike but there are minor detail differences when you look closely. Someimes its better to take a step back and really diversify a collection.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    At the 'beater' price point (sub £200) I think quartz is the way to go because the timekeeping of mechanical watches at this price is unacceptable.
    No! Disagree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    No! Disagree 100%
    In my experience, cheap autos are out 15 seconds plus per day. I can't live with that so I will always go quartz at this level :-)

Grand Master
    In my experience, cheap autos are out 15 seconds plus per day. I can't live with that so I will always go quartz at this level :-)
    not always the case, a seiko stargate mark 1 i've just let go - basic non hacking non hand wind movement, was running solidly to 4 or 5 seconds a week!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

In the context of this thread, the cheaper Seiko would be adding variety to a collection, so being worn for a day here, a day there. While not disputing your right to insist on whatever level of accuracy you personally desire, can I ask - do you really think

the timekeeping of mechanical watches at this price is unacceptable
    is a reasonable generalisation?

Always add one expensive watch first. Adding cheaper watches later is easy- finding more expensive watches later on might not be.

I have too many cheaper watches for my liking, and could have a few more meaningful watches, if I sold a load of them off - so try and go for quality every time.
    It's just a matter of time...

It’s very personal. My rational side likes the idea of one watch yet I am at twenty plus.... sold two watches and bought them back.

As said above go for what you really want. Only you can know how a watch makes you feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for your opinions, some interesting and useful advice. On balance the consensus seems to be to go for the tudor now, then add smaller pieces in the future should I want to.

And as some have mentioned, second hand makes a lot of sense. I'll be sure to keep an eye on sales corner!

I suppose most members regard our watch obsession as a hobby, and most of us enjoy variety of ownership as part of that hobby. If someone is happy with just one watch then that’s great for them - in my own case I greatly enjoy having a range of watches available to me.

Personally I started small with relatively cheap purchases (many second hand so someone else could take the depreciation), and gradually worked my way up. If I was (years ago) in the position you described in your first post, I’d have bought a second hand Monster then continued to save for the Tudor.

I totally agree with Paul’s suggestion of not buying loads of watches that all look exactly the same... one of the things that marks out my own collection is a great deal of diversity.

I suspect there are statistically very few members of this forum who actually own only one watch. Even those who advocate ‘less is more’ (stand up Peter Skinner!) mostly end up with two or three and some choose to exclude either quartz or G Shocks from the count!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    can I ask - do you really think

is a reasonable generalisation?
    Based on my experience, yes it is. In my early days in the hobby (2014 to 2016) I had a number of mechanical watches and none of them were anywhere near COSC (nor did they claim to be). I've had Seiko and Miyota powered watches that started off bang on but then drifted off to +/-20 secs per day or worse after a few months and personally I couldn't live with that but that's just me. I wish it didn't bother me tbh.

If there are mechanical watches available at below £200 that are consistently within COSC I'd be very interested to hear about them.

The only mechanicals that I've owned that consitently sit within COCS are Rolex and Nomos (alpha movement) but they are at the £1000 plus price point and not what I would consider a beater!

Based on my experience, yes it is. In my early days in the hobby (2014 to 2016) I had a number of mechanical watches and none of them were anywhere near COSC (nor did they claim to be). I've had Seiko and Miyota powered watches that started off bang on but then drifted off to +/-20 secs per day or worse after a few months and personally I couldn't live with that but that's just me. I wish it didn't bother me tbh.

If there are mechanical watches available at below £200 that are consistently within COSC I'd be very interested to hear about them.

The only mechanicals that I've owned that consitently sit within COCS are Rolex and Nomos (alpha movement) but they are at the £1000 plus price point and not what I would consider a beater!
    But you haven't gone anywhere near my question. I was trying to point out that for a second watch - something that would be worn for just a day here, a day there, and so in need of setting every time it was put on - the question of whether it loses five seconds or twenty seconds in a day has a good chance of being pretty unimportant to people other than yourself.

But you haven't gone anywhere near my question. I was trying to point out that for a second watch - something that would be worn for just a day here, a day there, and so in need of setting every time it was put on - the question of whether it loses five seconds or twenty seconds in a day has a good chance of being pretty unimportant to people other than yourself.
    In my suggestion to the OP I said have your expensive watch for best and your every day beater as quartz. This would mean that the inexpensive mechanical would be worn most of the time so time keeping would be a noticeable issue (for me at least).

Grand Master
    I have limited experience with cheap newish automatics, but from what I’ve seen they respond well to being regulated and adjusted. I’ve had a few cheap Seikos in my hands and most have needed the beat error correcting plus some degree of regulation. I’ve stripped and re-oiled a few and they almost invariably run very well after some TLC.

COSC performance, by its strictest definition, is unlikely to be achieved by a cheaper or older watch, but there’s no reason why these watches shouldn’t be capable of running to within a few seconds/day and prove acceptable for regular use.

Quartz watches are v. convenient as beaters or grab and go watches, no doubt about that, but I wouldn’t discount cheaper mechanicals.

Master
    True, but precision is about more than that. I take accuracy as a key test of quality. You can’t really cheat,or hide under marketing guff. A consistently precise mechanical watch has to be well-made.

Craftsman

I have 3 Seiko SARB's. All @ 5 seconds per day, one just over 4 seconds per day, no regulation.
    I have 2 SKX's, one is brand new and at 7 seconds per day, the other is a few years old and is at 5 seconds per day, again, no regulation.

Interesting read, I have a collection of several vintage pieces and 3 watches from micro brands, all sub 500€.

Selling some of them to get a more expensive watch i something that crosses my mind from time to time, but I can't seem to see myself with just one or two watches, I like to have the choice to pick what suits my mood for the day and if I had only one I could get tired of it, even if it's a grail.

Cheers,

I’ve had small collections of up to 5 or 6 watches and always end up getting irritated with watches sitting around unused and with the faff of changing watches for different occasions. If my daily watch can’t cope with a bit of lawn-mowing or gardening and isn’t nice enough to wear with a suit then to me it probably isn’t worth keeping.

I’m moving back to where I started which was one watch for everything, which I take off if there is a real risk of damage. The issue is finding the one watch that is suitable for all occasions, but not too much money to wear daily.

Omega seem to offer the best bang for buck at about £2500 - £3000 which to me seems the ideal budget for an all-purpose watch. I’ve had several SMPs and SMPcs and would have another - maybe an Electric Blue. For me it is currently a Speedmaster Moonwatch as I haven’t settled on the right SMP.

As well as cost I think size is the other consideration for an all-purpose watch. The SMPs are just a bit too big IMO. 39mm - 40mm is about right. I’m thinking an older five digit reference Explorer II or GMT-Master II or Sub Date might be the ideal one watch solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    I have 3 Seiko SARB's. All @ 5 seconds per day, one just over 4 seconds per day, no regulation.
    I have 2 SKX's, one is brand new and at 7 seconds per day, the other is a few years old and is at 5 seconds per day, again, no regulation.
    Clearly there are exceptions. My SARB035 was -15 seconds after a few months and that's within their stated tolerences for the 6r15c movement.

My first ever mechanical watch was a Seiko Monster as an early 20-something, some 12 yrs ago now! I'm actually wearing it today as well. It is a fantastic watch.

I think your choice comes down to what watches you currently own. I decided to start 'cheaper' as money was slightly tight having just brought my first apartment (the Monster also cost me under £80 at the time....) and started learning and acquiring knowledge on what I liked - I am not a natural flipper though I have sold and traded stuff if it got me something else I liked. In the end that lead to the purchase of my first Panerai a few yrs later and since then its spiralled out of total control.

I would caution spending lots of money unless you know you want a BB58. If you are set on it, then buy that first then add the rest when funds allow.

Master
    You need to figure out what you actually like before you can answer this question. It's not about quantity.

For me, I've been through this journey many times and ultimately it seems it's human nature to be never satisfied. I've been through like >15 watches and have a good idea what I like and need in a watch so happy to be a one watch person.

Master
    My choice. Either £5000 on a Rolex Explorer or;
    An Omega Speedmaster Pro with a back-up, a used quartz GS.
    Me....the Speedmaster and GS. Quite enough for a lifetime of use.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It’s not often I agree with Peter but in this instance I do. I’m down to about half a dozen now but only really ever wear two, one of which is s G shock.

I also often feel that an expensive watch is pretty pointless and one at a much cheaper price point (eg one of Eddie’s) is a far more sensible option.

Master
    Unless you're determined to have a 'luxury' brand on your wrist, and feel confident you'll get pleasure from the fact, I'd look elsewhere if I were you. Ultimately, a large proportion of your outlay is just paying for their advertising, which contributes nothing to the quality of the watch. For the price of a new BB58 you could easily pick up 2-3 watches that, in terms of finish and overall quality, would be just as good, more fun (imo), and certainly far less ubiquitous.

Buy a watch box with 6 slots.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Excellent point. I find myself selling off one collection of stuff that got a bit out of control in order to buy another watch. Overall, less things is why I’m telling myself it makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are not hanging on these forums because we like one watch...right? We like watches

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk
    Last edited by martyloveswatches; 25th March 2019 at 20:10.

Craftsman
    Buy the tudor
    Adore the tudor on your wrist
    But be ready for the next chapter
    Um that panerai/omega/bla bla bla looks amazing
    Your journey in time is just beginning

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks again to everyone for the interesting, if varied, opinions!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Or buy the Seiko Monster now, and save a little longer for the Tudor.
    This is good advice.

Craftsman
    I was in a similar situation actually and ended up buying quite a few budget watches before saving up and buying something a bit more expensive.

To be fair, I think it took owning and wearing the cheaper watches to really realise what I preferred and wanted in my future watches.

As an example I was saving for a Tudor also and had decided on a Ranger but it wasnt until I wore an old style Everest PRS25 for a few months to actually realise I needed a date on my watches. As soon as I realised that I couldn't buy the Tudor anymore.

If your heart is set on the BB58
    Keep saving and go for the one you really want
    You’ll only wish you’d gone for it in the first place after owning the others a while

Blog Entries
    Buy the Tudor. Enjoy having it, it's a great feeling getting the watch you desire. (mine was an Omega Planet Ocean).

After a while you may start thinking about other brands, maybe more than one............................................... .................welcome!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    By the time you find a 58 in stock you will have saved enough for both.