closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

I have been reading and trying to learn the ins and outs of automatic watch movements for a while now and would like to know what are your thoughts on the top 3 automatic movements.

As you are aware lots of watches have ETA movements and I was interested to read about the AS2063 automatic movement in the PRS-50 LE of Eddie'e.

So what would you rate as first, second and third place greatest automatic movements?

Master

Re: What are your thoughts?

O dear, this could turn into a kind of religious war. :lol:
    In between there are so many movements on the market, and most of us have seen only a little break of them in flesh or can tell anything from own experience.
    I will not list three favourites because I feel a massive lack of knowledge to judge on it.
    Moreover IMO it's not possible to answer the question or to make a ranking. What are criteria? Exactness, robustness, innovation?

From my very personal point of view the (GRAND) SEIKO Spring Drive movements are to me what I call the current crowning glory of watch movement evolution, but because of it's unique technique including electro-mechanical components one can't compare it with usual mechanical movements.
    The new Jaeger-LeCoultre movement with no need for lubricant is IMO a brilliant innovation.
    Among the "classical" movements, the Rolex basic movement 3135 and the chrono movement 4130 are great ones.
    Audemars Piguets basic movement AP 3120 seems to be very reliable, too, but I'm proud on my daedal and delicate AP 2121.

/ Hal

Grand Master

I have no clue! And even if I did I'd not disclose .. besides I'd probably change my mind within a few days!
    /vince ..

Ok, this is going to be great fun. I leave aside the AS because they are not being produced (also the lemania 5100). My vote goes to:
    1. ETA 2892
    2. ETA 7750
    3. Seagull/Venus Chrono

:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by blue-dread

So what would you rate as first, second and third place greatest automatic movements?
    1 JLC Master Extreme

2 Any IWC with Pellaton

3 Richard Mille

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Thank you to those who have replied thus far.

I have considered my original post and realised that it would be helpful to have inserted pointers. It is my intention to follow up your replies with my own research and try to reason why it is that you have made the choices that you have (do I have the same thoughts after checking). It may well be that this thread will be a help to one and all (i hope so).

So, automatic movements:-

1 First your choices.

2.Your reason for those choices, e.g's: quality engineering? prestige? investment perhaps? Can take a nuclear blast and thus it's the ultimate once you own it that's it (sort of thing)?

It has puzzled me for a while as to the whole automatic movement issue.

If you can find the time to reply I for one would appreciate it very much.

Master

Just some more thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    1 JLC Master Extreme
    I second that: JLC Calibre 988C - the first mechanical movement without any lubricants.
    Watch: JLC Master Extreme Lab 988C - O dear, if it just wouldn't be that expensive. :cry:

2 Any IWC with Pellaton
    Despite the massive problems the Pellaton mechanism the technically non-matured construction induced at least in the first series?! :roll: The customer as a "BETA tester" ... .

Another great JLC movement - but I suppose it doesn't count here. :wink:
    JLC Atmos Mysterieuse

Personally I prefer automatic movements by far. So according to my personal preferences a hand wound one will never be among my favourites regardless it's technique.

One reason why I love AP calibre 2121:

A great movement from the 1970ies :wink: :lol: - as an answer on the cheap quartz movements:

BTW; I've read some time ago statistically the most exact movement in C.O.S.C. testing is Rolex 2230/2235 - even better than 3130/3135. But this result is still not too meaningful because many manufactures don't mandate C.O.S.C. at all or use it for a little break of production only.

/ Hal

Blog Entries

He, he, he, what's with that JLC :shock: .
    No lubing at all, what's the price?, I want one 8) .

Cheers,

Daddel.

Oh, my choice, Nomos, Tangomat.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Thomas Reid

I'm sort of keen on the automatics with micro-rotors.

(These days, automatics play the same role as higher beat movements, e.g., 28800 vph. They make it easier to have a watch of a good performance. The higher beat movements power over any slight problems with the movement. And, the automatic keeps the watches' power supply in a known, sweet area.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    He, he, he, what's with that JLC :shock: .
    No lubing at all, what's the price?, I want one 8) .
    Cheers, Daddel.
    200,000 Euro ... any further questions? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But technology will develop further in this direction, so we will see more and less expensive watches / movements with partly or no need for lubricants in the future.

I'm actually keen on movements using modern materials and technologies. I would like to own a movement without any metal parts but made of silicon, carbon, ceramic, artificial sapphire and artificial diamond and so on. Well ... one day ... :P

Quote Originally Posted by wombat
    Just some more thoughts:

1 JLC Master Extreme
    I second that: JLC Calibre 988C - the first mechanical movement without any lubricants.
    Watch: JLC Master Extreme Lab 988C - O dear, if it just wouldn't be that expensive. :cry: ............./ Hal

I meant the Extreme World chrono. For about the same money as a Daytona. As it happens I don't like them but they have a nifty autowinder.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master

I meant the Extreme World chrono. For about the same money as a Daytona. As it happens I don't like them but they have a nifty autowinder.
    Regardless which one - IMO JLC does great movements.

JLC Master Compressor Extreme World Chrono Ref. 176xxxx has movement JLC 752. Price (Germany) starts at 9,950 Euro for the steel model on rubber strap (Ref. 1768470).

The price for a steel Rolex Daytona is (in Germany) 6,910 Euro - even though you can't get one and have to pay approx. > 9,000 Euro for a new one on the grey market.

Personally I feel not able to judge if Rolex 4130 or JLC 752 is the better movement, moreover I suppose one can't decide it impartial.

Personally I would like to own a Master Compressor Diving Pro Geographic Ref. 185T770 with movement JLC 979:
    Unfortunately it's 17,500 Euro. :cry:

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/dive/

/ Hal

The Memovox Polaris re-issue was the prettiest and best balanced watch I laid my eyes upon in 2007. Knocks spots off-everything else ‘vintage’ currently on offer.

I actually saw this watch (the pictures don’t tell the full story) and if I am not careful it can become a grail.

The 1968 Polaris
    http://spherebymilan.blogspot.com/2008/ ... laris.html

http://spherebymilan.blogspot.com/2008/ ... movox.html

john

1. Zenith El Primero - the best pusher feel of any chrono, column wheel, fast beat and the first proper automatic chrono....Calibre 11 notwithstanding :wink:
    2. Lemania 1340/Omega 1040/1041 - The first Auto Chrono with central chrono minute and chrono second counter, super legible and still used to this day in different forms, Breguet, Ebel.

3. Rolex 3135 - Just because every Rolex thus equipped (that i've owned)has always been super accurate and very robust.

Other Calibre's i'm very fond of are the Lemania 5100 and the Seiko 8L35.

Regards,
    Sanjay :)

Master

I do tend to be limited by the ones I own - so for me, this is Zenith El Primeros, and the Lemania 5100, and from my vintage my Gyromatic.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparmar1
    1. Zenith El Primero - the best pusher feel of any chrono, column wheel, fast beat and the first proper automatic chrono ...
    El Primero is a great movement, and it has been developed much since the beginning (apart from the question if one likes current Zenith styling).

Quote Originally Posted by sparmar1
    1. Zenith El Primero ... first proper automatic chrono....Calibre 11 notwithstanding :wink:
    Don't forget SEIKO's 6139, which was developed at the same time as El Primero and Calibre 11. As EP but in contrast to Cal. 11 Seiko 6139 was an integrated chrono movement.

"6139 the First Automatic Chronograph Caliber SEIKO developed in 1969"
    Photo made at Baselworld far this year at the SEIKO stand.