closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone like steam engines?

Anyone like steam engines?

I’m not an enthusiast as such, but probably like many members I’m fascinated by steam engines and old enough to remember them being more common.

I had a go on The African Queen recently, for those who remember the 1940’s film. It’s now powered by what I am told is an 1890s Sisson steam engine. A beautiful looking and sounding thing, must have pushed us along at about 3 knots.

https://youtu.be/GWqiNwYN_8w

Here is what she looked like in the film. Funnily enough the boiler and funnel then were props, as a diesel engine was originally fitted.

Steamboats are wonderful things.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think the principle is brilliant as it is independant from the energy source used to heat the water.
    They can be made to work directly from solar energy even. No electric conversion needed.

My only memory is from a steam roller in actual use dates way back to the early sixties. Quite a happening in several ways when a local trough road was coverted from bricks to tarmac and the father of a school friend delivered the coal for the steam engine.

I pulled in to Watford Gap Services in March 1990 to refuel my V4 Transit ex-ambulance; at the pump behind me The African Queen (on a trailer obvs) pulled up and I had a chat with the owner. he was off to a "personal appearance". The tractor was an American SUV, probably an F500.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I pulled in to Watford Gap Services in March 1990 to refuel my V4 Transit ex-ambulance; at the pump behind me The African Queen (on a trailer obvs) pulled up and I had a chat with the owner. he was off to a "personal appearance". The tractor was an American SUV, probably an F500.
    That would make sense, based on what we were told. It has passed through a couple of American owners, been exhibited around and about and ended up in a field, slowly rusting, until the present owner restored it. It’s a tourist attraction in Key Largo now (location of another Bogart movie of course).

All very laid back and I ended up at the tiller for about 15 minutes.

The present owner found the steam engine in a tractor in Ireland I think.

Hate the bloody things, give me a diesel any day..........ooopsDSC_0755 by David Brenchley, on Flickr
    One of the Locos I have the pleasure of maintaining..

4472 is in Swanage at the moment. We’re going to pop over tomorrow to take a look, see if I can get any photos. Just thought I’d say!

I wish it still was 4472.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    We’re going to pop over tomorrow to take a look, see if I can get any photos.
    I’m looking forward to the photos. I used to have the Hornby model.

The fragrant Mrs T and I are going on an excursion on 19 May pulled by 60103.......3 icons in one day, The Scotsman, The Forth Bridge and me! Lol.

We did the same run a few years back pulled by A4 Sir Nigel Gresley, the Concorde class of steam locomotives.

I'm young enough to remember a steam traction engine powering a threshing machine in a farmyard in Charlton Village, Wantage in 1954/55 … and also witnessed a 'steam roller' resurfacing the road in Motspur Park (near Wimbledon) in 1958. Fast forward to 1974 I witnessed a steam traction engine en route, under its own power, to a Norfolk steam rally … the owner had stopped on Old Lakenham bridge, Norwich, where the traction engine sucked up river water and then resumed its journey … proceeding very noisily and with frequent 'steam whistling' at less than 10mph … and on the hot day left its wheel marks in the soft tarmac.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 25th March 2019 at 11:46.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I wish it still was 4472.
    Well the frames are original...

I was fortunate to be invited to visit the engine rooms of HMY Britannia whilst she was still in service. The immaculate pair of Parsons steam turbines gently susurrating were a joy to behold. I always enjoy seeing the big engines in action in places like the LMoW&S Kew.

I've had a thing for steam rollers since I was a nipper. Recently my parents gave me this Mamod model to help relive my childhood. It doesn't half shift when it's under steam.

I also have a Stuart No. 10 which predates them going metric.

Here's a fun children's playground in Santiago making good use of the defunct machines.

And check out what this geezer has built!

I love that Landrover.

I didn’t know about the museum at Kew, looks worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I love that Landrover.

I didn’t know about the museum at Kew, looks worth a visit.
    Go on a Sunday and treat yourself to tea at St. Anne’s church on the green. Egg and cress sandwiches, lemon drizzle or Victoria sponge all home made by the ladies of the church. A step back in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Go on a Sunday and treat yourself to tea at St. Anne’s church on the green. Egg and cress sandwiches, lemon drizzle or Victoria sponge all home made by the ladies of the church. A step back in time.
    Or you could go to the Express Tavern (owned by the same people that run the Sussex).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

The Express is a nice pub.
    O’Riordans opposite the steam museum does a good pint of Guinness. Both are often the target of a Sunday stroll in the summer. Not been to the steam museum for years though.