closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed up of Rolex - can we start appreciating some other great brands

I like Rolex. I have owned 2 DJ's over the past 30 years and currently have a Y/G D/D which is a bit blingy to wear every day, so I tend to wear a Seiko most of the time. But I take the OP's point, Rolex are very good, but so are a lot of others. I don't believe Rolex is the best, but it is one of the best... Certainly the most recognised and desired by Joe public. - "You've made it if you've got a Rolex".

Craftsman
    For the first time in probably 30 years i dont own a rolex
    And i feel free

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    147 mentions of Rolex in a non Rolex thread.make that 149..

Can we get to 500 before a argument/name calling/ban happens I wonder?

Sent from my Mi A1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What about Tianjin Seagull. They have explorer credibility, getting a watch up Everest before Rolex, for example, and being the watch of choice for all the early Chinese Antarctica exploration.

Just like the Russki stuff, the non export, and especially government and military stuff, is rock solid and makes a credible alternative to vintage in the increasingly popular mid sizes.

Or does a watch have to be hilariously expensive to be a pleasure to wear?

https://i.postimg.cc/NfcpwzTC/IMG-7332.jpg

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    One could start a SmithS appreciation thread. Did you know they were the first atop of Everest? There was another timekeeping company involved too but I forget exactly which brand it was!

Omega? The chap who made it possible wore the direct predecessor of the Omega Speedmaster and used it to time the experiments that made the scientific breakthroughs that got them to the top. He also wore it to camp IV in '53.

You could also argue that Smiths watches have been a better investment than Rolex over the last decade...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Omega? The chap who made it possible wore the direct predecessor of the Omega Speedmaster and used it to time the experiments that made the scientific breakthroughs that got them to the top. He also wore it to camp IV in '53.

You could also argue that Smiths watches have been a better investment than Rolex over the last decade...
    Sorry Matt I was being casually mischievous where I probably shouldn't have been. I think even the revered Smiths are steadying a bit in value unless its a military prototype or rare GS De Luxe!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    Sorry Matt I was being casually mischievous where I probably shouldn't have been. I think even the revered Smiths are steadying a bit in value unless its a military prototype or rare GS De Luxe!
    I know, but I just can't help myself. The point is they were not revered until very recently and I'm entirely unsure that they are slowing down. My W10 always seems to be worth £100 more than the last time I looked and I think I paid £60 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    I have to say I do prefer Zenith.
    Zenith are usually an excellent firm but they have produced some nightmares over the years.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I think the OP is alluding to the fact that Rolex are a bit common round these parts.

Master
    I reckon we could try an experiment. We could ban all non Rolex discussion for a month. All we would be allowed to talk about is Rolex. We should encourage everyone to send in dozens of pics of their Rolex, what celebs we have spotted wearing Rolex, what town has the most Rolex, what Rolex AD is nice and what Rolex is not nice. PSA announcements of where there is a Rolex up for sale should have a section of their own. The SC should be restricted purely to Rolex, cheap shirts and shoes adverts should be banned. We could slag off grey dealers for inflating the cost of Rolex but also say how nice they are if they ever discount the price of Rolex. Also pics of us wearing Rolex in the car or even when sitting on the bog would be interesting. Is it safe to wear a Rolex doing whatever and is two tone Rolex naff or not. How many revolutions should you wind your Rolex when starting it up and how accurate should the Rolex be. Naturally my Rolex is more accurate than your Rolex type discussions should be encouraged. My Rolex says Hi to your Rolex threads should earn real brownie points and the BP could at last serve a useful purpose by being allowed to show pics of Rolex appearing in blue movies as it is only section of TZ read by slightly dodgy types.

After a month of this, we will all either be sick of Rolex or we will be clamouring to make TZ the UK version of the Rolex Forum.

What do you reckon ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    What do you reckon ?
    Have a separate forum for R***x

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Zenith are usually an excellent firm but they have produced some nightmares over the years.

Totally agree, this ‘thing’ looks like it came out of a Christmas Cracker!

Well I really like reading Rolex threads, it’s a bit like a soap opera as there is always a story line, a love affair going wrong, the jealousy, in fighting, bitterness and most of all money issues.. it’s a always a fun read but when I want to lighten things up there is always the Bear Pit.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Have a separate forum for R***x
    Agreed. A lot of the fanboys and girls on here are like fanatical football supporters, who support Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal etc and hate everyone else.

I am surprised more don't live in the strange world that is TRF. I was a member for about a week and it was like watching a cross between Bulleye and Reginald Perrin. Some guy posts a picture of his latest trinket and the fanboys start: wow, great, smashing, super.

There are other brands and more importantly other price points. Not everyone can or wants to tie up large amounts of cash in a single brand. Great for Johnny deep pockets who can afford every Ceramic ever created, but for the rest of us mortals it ain't gonna happen.

Master
    Nothing wrong with R***x. Great watches by a great manufacturer. Its more the attitude of some of the owners that becomes a bit tiresome. Only right they should have a dedicated forum.
    Last edited by Tiny; 27th March 2019 at 16:13.

Master
    Blog Entries

I think all the major brands have made some mingers over the years (ploprof, master compressor diver, deep two, anything from Rolex with leopard skin on it...), but I really like the way zenith pushes boundaries more ways than most.

Plus subjectively the quality of my old rainbow blew a Daytona out of the water.

Plus there is a lot of brand bias, people say things like zenith should move on from the tri colour dial, then buy a sub which has been the same give or take since the 50's.

Ironic that one of the main reasons why Rolex is so popular among watch collectors is the fact that so many models are easily tradeable, because (a) they are known for reliability and durability (b) the designs have tended (historically) to endure and not change dramatically (c) they hold their value meaning that for a collector/flipper the costs are relatively low.
    Their popularity has now become so high that it is causing its own problems.

Not many brands/designs can match it. Porsche 911 would be something similar with the financial metrics operating in a similar way as well. Classics go up in value. Some models are unobtainable at retail and command huge premiums on the “grey” market.

While several new Rolex models are hard to get, the vast independent market offers a huge range of older models (vintage and “modern classic”), which many collectors profess to prefer anyway.
    There’s still something for everyone in Rolex, and dozens of modern classics at reasonable prices which are arguably going to at the very least hold their money going forward.
    If Rolex continue to move to bigger glitzier new models, the older models will probably just keep rising in value.

Not that much to dislike except for those obsessed by having the newest model, which many WIS seem to disapprove of anyway.

Journeyman

Actually they were a forum darling for quite a while but you rarely see them mentioned nowadays.
    That’s what happens when a manufacturer increases supply to meet demand. Ironic really given the OPs initial complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    Ironic that one of the main reasons why Rolex is so popular among watch collectors is the fact that so many models are easily tradeable, because (a) they are known for reliability and durability (b) the designs have tended (historically) to endure and not change dramatically (c) they hold their value meaning that for a collector/flipper the costs are relatively low.
    Their popularity has now become so high that it is causing its own problems.

Not many brands/designs can match it. Porsche 911 would be something similar with the financial metrics operating in a similar way as well. Classics go up in value. Some models are unobtainable at retail and command huge premiums on the “grey” market.

While several new Rolex models are hard to get, the vast independent market offers a huge range of older models (vintage and “modern classic”), which many collectors profess to prefer anyway.
    There’s still something for everyone in Rolex, and dozens of modern classics at reasonable prices which are arguably going to at the very least hold their money going forward.
    If Rolex continue to move to bigger glitzier new models, the older models will probably just keep rising in value.

Not that much to dislike except for those obsessed by having the newest model, which many WIS seem to disapprove of anyway.
    So lets have a dedicated forum then.

Master
    It's gone very quiet around here.

Nobody else think Rolex deserve a dedicated forum?

Why don't you PM the owner with your suggestion? He loves PMs and I am sure he will appreciate your suggestion.

Blog Entries

Fill your boots.

https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

TZ is a 'watch' forum rather than just one make. And better for it I think.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Charlies, do you like any vintage watches? Lots of makes to choose from, many not around anymore.

Blog Entries
    Here's an idea. Why don't some of those who say they are fed up with reading about Rolex, start threads about watches from other brands. Then others can comment on them and read them and everyone's happy.

(Unless of course nobody comments much or reads them.)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Banned

Fed up of Rolex - can we start appreciating some other great brands

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Charlies, do you like any vintage watches? Lots of makes to choose from, many not around anymore.
    I love vintage watches actually , been looking for a 1675 for while but haven’t been successful , I’ve bought a few recently but when I took them haven’t bonded . Look great in pics but when I received them I didn’t feel the love . I’m gonna hold out for a 1675 but prices have really risen so feels like a losing battle ....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    I love vintage watches actually , been looking for a 1675 for while but haven’t been successful.
    I think a 1675 is a Rolex, is that right? I was thinking more in terms of other makes, seeing as you were looking to broaden the discussion beyond Rolex.

Most of my watches are vintage, only a few bought new. People on the forum are always interested in something a bit different or even a classic run of the mill manual wind 3-hander like this:

I could bore for England on that one (probably already have).

If you have a couple of the vintage ones, why not stick up some photos and let us see?