closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fed up of Rolex - can we start appreciating some other great brands

Banned

Fed up of Rolex - can we start appreciating some other great brands

I’ve been reading on the forums lately and beginning to think I want to move away from the brand for a while .

Don’t get me wrong I love Rolex watches and their steel sports ranges are unrivalled in their price range .

But I’m getting a bit fed up of everything that surrounds the brand , the fan boys who obsess over everything Rolex , the waiting lists , the inflated prices of RRP plus 100% , the contsant quabbling over buying and selling for a quick profit , the manipulation of stock and prices from grey market dealers and the inability to actually got your hands on a model you want , even at list price ,

the sniggering sales assistants at Rolex ADs that politely let you know that to be privileged enough to get on a 5 year waiting list you have to buy a couple of datejust that you don’t actually want and the list goes on ...

Without disrespecting a brand that I love (Rolex) I’d like to start appreciating other watches , for example I’d like to know why there is a such a strong following of Panerai ( I think they are called paneristi’s ) I’ve never appreciated them but maybe I should do some homework and start to appreciate other great watches that are out there

Anyone feel the same ?

Feel free to compose new threads on any watch brands of your choosing - it's an open forum - otherwise this particular post just comes across as yet another Rolex moan.
    Gray

Master
    Patek is no different, I have silly waiting lists, inflated grey prices and so forth, if you don’t like reading about you can simply avoid the post?

Master
    I was fascinated in the recent 'Your unpopular opinions' thread how many people expressed varying levels of dislike for Rolex, yet half the threads on here are about them!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I was fascinated in the recent 'Your unpopular opinions' thread how many people expressed varying levels of dislike for Rolex, yet half the threads on here are about them!
    My particular issue is not the brand itself , as mentioned I love their watches , I’ve clearly stated that . It’s the issues highlighted around the product and how the brand brings out the worst in people , most threads around the product begin with an innocent question or sale and descent into chaos and arguing ..
    and let’s face it , it’s not easy to avoid the brand as every other topic is about the brand so not so easy to avoid

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Go for it. Variety is the spice if life! It’s not a sin to listen to jazz and classical music, or even country.

I keep one Rolex, one Omega and one Grand Seiko in rotation. Good forums for each on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    Go for it. Variety is the spice if life! It’s not a sin to listen to jazz and classical music, or even country.

I keep one Rolex, one Omega and one Grand Seiko in rotation. Good forums for each on here.

I agree , a more varied interest is the way forward

Master
    I’m another who appreciates Rolex, and would always own one, but who gets disheartened by the ‘athmosphere’ around some of these watches. It’s the inability (apparently)to separate pride of ownership from financial considerations. It nearly always seems to reduce to ‘my watch is now worth....’
    So I increasingly look at other brands (my current favourite...Zenith El Primero models ). I don’t know if i’l ever buy another Rolex...which is an odd thought really.

There are indeed enough other brands. I vistited Baselworld yesterday and Sinn staff were wonderful. Sinn is one of the few stands that lets end customers in. Offering us drinks upon entry and then allowing us to try on watches as we liked. Great service that warms me even more to the brand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Feel free to compose new threads on any watch brands of your choosing - it's an open forum - otherwise this particular post just comes across as yet another Rolex moan.
    This

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    You've got to hand it to Rolex though, they've created a product that is valued higher used than new, presumably costs about 10% of its sale price to make, demand is consistently high, it's revered amongst many and if you spoke to a random person on the street they will have heard of it. That's no criticism as I've had one and will one day own another (ref desirability!). Clever swines eh? They are also restricting supply to an economically clever level. But I agree, too, that it's a bit pants that you can't actually buy a new GMT for the sticker price, as it almost looks good value, but that's only in the context of the above. The perfect product perhaps?

Personally I'd like a Tudor 40mm sub for £2,500 but they don't make it yet!

Banned
    This seems to be a few people’s generic response to any sort of criticism of anything Rolex related .

Again , please understand my point , I’m not in anyway criticising Rolex or their market strategy , they have nailed it to be honest . And they are beyond successful as they make so many iconic pieces , my point is , that it’s peoples behaviour and the general atmosphere around the brand and it’s watches that’s becoming a bit annoying .

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Best thing to do is post a thread moaning about Rolex attitudes and calling for appreciation of other brands while not mentioning any other brands. And when this glaring omission is mentioned, write it off as a response to Rolex criticism.

Got any other brands you'd like to discuss or post some pics of?

This forum is overall a bit Rolex heavy, depending what other brands you like it's worth browsing other forums for that fix(I'm a big fan of Omega and Longines so omegaforums is great for that, also like military watches so I regularly browse mwrforum aswell).

I still like it here but I couldn't be a one forum guy when it comes to watches as you miss out on actively discussed topics on certain brands whichever one you frequent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Best thing to do is post a thread moaning about Rolex attitudes and calling for appreciation of other brands while not mentioning any other brands. And when this glaring omission is mentioned, write it off as a response to Rolex criticism.

Plenty actually have a read of my initial post and you’ll see that I have most definitely mentioned another brand I’d like to get into

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    I’ve been reading on the forums lately and beginning to think I want to move away from the brand for a while .

Don’t get me wrong I love Rolex watches and their steel sports ranges are unrivalled in their price range .

But I’m getting a bit fed up of everything that surrounds the brand , the fan boys who obsess over everything Rolex , the waiting lists , the inflated prices of RRP plus 100% , the contsant quabbling over buying and selling for a quick profit , the manipulation of stock and prices from grey market dealers and the inability to actually got your hands on a model you want , even at list price ,

the sniggering sales assistants at Rolex ADs that politely let you know that to be privileged enough to get on a 5 year waiting list you have to buy a couple of datejust that you don’t actually want and the list goes on ...

Without disrespecting a brand that I love (Rolex) I’d like to start appreciating other watches , for example I’d like to know why there is a such a strong following of Panerai ( I think they are called paneristi’s ) I’ve never appreciated them but maybe I should do some homework and start to appreciate other great watches that are out there

Anyone feel the same ?
    I agree with the OP. There’s so many other brands out there that have a variety of great watches. I also love Rolex watches but the prices on the second hand market and the waiting lists etc have just got crazy. I’ve decided to explore other brands as well,I’m sure I’ll return to Rolex in the future as there’s a few watches I still wish to own but I’ll return when this crazy Rolex bubble will inevitably burst

All my life I have maintained that JLC was the brand to have. Many add it to the holy trinity but I feel it is even better than that. Watches made for watchmakers to admire in years to come. Unfortunately since they have been bought by Richemont I can no longer recommend them. I wouldn't touch anything that has been touched by Richemont.

I feel that JLC is being, one, squizzed by Richemont, and two, it has lost direction. This direction loss started within JLC before the takeover but after the takeover they have totally lost all artistic direction as to what the punters want from them. The last interesting watch I saw from them was the Navy SEALs diver which I think has more desk-diving class than the Sub. Unfortunately it is no longer being made so one is at the mercy of the second hand market.

From the current line-up I'd go for the Jaeger-LeCoultre Deep Sea Chrono. You won't be able to move it as easy as a Rolex but for a neat watch to wear they don't get any neater.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ha...ea-chronograph

In fairness, the OP did give another brand as an example.

“......think I want to move away from the brand for a while .”

Sorry - but that just reads as: “I can’t buy the watch I really want - so I think I’ll get something else instead” - in a kind of pretentious manner.

It's not like there is much of interest to say about Rolex!

About 4 different movements with 4 bracelet options on a couple of case designs. Pop on a twirly bezel in whatever colour tile will get the plebs fighting over .... and bingo, that's 8 grand please!

No grand complications, not even a display back .. and forget an AR coating!

Master
    I am a self confessed Rolex fanboi and I agree that most Rolex centered threads tend to be popular and well attended. However the reverse side is obvious. I am currently in Europe and have looked at a few longines 13zn as I find them rather attractive, have an interesting history and also are still well supported by Longines when it comes to servicing.

I started a thread asking for advice on the models and got one reply. I doubt if I will now ever bother mentioning Longines again. You only go where the interest is.

I have and enjoy a modern ss Rolex, along with other excellent brands, some appreciated here and some less so. And whilst I can understand the context of the OP I feel it might be better to just fire into discussion threads on other brands without mentioning the “r” word - more will come of it surely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

All my life I have maintained that JLC was the brand to have. Many add it to the holy trinity but I feel it is even better than that. Watches made for watchmakers to admire in years to come. Unfortunately since they have been bought by Richemont I can no longer recommend them. I wouldn't touch anything that has been touched by Richemont.

I feel that JLC is being, one, squizzed by Richemont, and two, it has lost direction. This direction loss started within JLC before the takeover but after the takeover they have totally lost all artistic direction as to what the punters want from them. The last interesting watch I saw from them was the Navy SEALs diver which I think has more desk-diving class than the Sub. Unfortunately it is no longer being made so one is at the mercy of the second hand market.

From the current line-up I'd go for the Jaeger-LeCoultre Deep Sea Chrono. You won't be able to move it as easy as a Rolex but for a neat watch to wear they don't get any neater.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ha...ea-chronograph
    You know that's discontinued, right? Took me ages to find mine!

Rolex? Who said Rolex?

Master
    other..b r a n d s.....other......other brands? Que?

Well he could do but it is likely they will not generate any interest or many replies and will just disappear very quickly.

If he was to post about how he saw a bloke wearing a Sub in the local chippy last night, you can guarantee it would generate a fairly high number of responses.

Here are a number of threads I have created fairly recently about watches that are rarely or are never seen on here, some with a back story and much detail about them in general but you get about three members responding and that is it.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t-is-a-shoe-in

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...year-old-watch

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Pipin-Ferreras

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...al-MTG-just-in

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...an-transformed

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...a-bit-of-a-mod

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-watch-for-you

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...iko-Grey-Ghost

It is a watch forum but is highly biased to commenting only on a very restricted range.

Mitch

Banned
    Mitch ,

I think you get the gist of what I’m trying to say , what I actually meant was that I’m making a conscience effort to look into other manufacturers and move away from the crazy world of what Rolex has become .

Anyway here’s something I bought recently and appreciating today

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think when you compare the Rrp to other brands if you just arrived on planet earth I can see why lots of people would pick an IWC, JLC, Zenith, Panerai or Omega compared to a sub etc. In my opinion they have their technical merits despite the crap watchfinder will have you believe.

But when you add the inflated cost into the mix then, honestly unless you like pretty colours you could have a Royal Oak auto for LESS than the price of a grey Pepsi.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Cool. Panerai.

Cool. Panerai.

Actually they were a forum darling for quite a while but you rarely see them mentioned nowadays.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Corvus Watch Company

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Actually they were a forum darling for quite a while but you rarely see them mentioned nowadays.
    Yeah, l remember those days... l wonder what happened there.

Maybe, as the OP suggests, due to one brand getting all the attention, or maybe people decided the size wasn't for them after all?

I always like to see a Panerai on a larger wrist... but wince when l see one on a slim wrist...

Edit. Oddly, l think that they look great on women's wrists, as do most oversized watches.
    The reason being, l think, that a large watch makes a slim wrist look even slimmer and thus more feminine.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 24th March 2019 at 16:26.

Wow, another Rolex thread!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wow, another Rolex thread!
    It was always going to turn that way.

Which kind of proves post #1 correct... in an ironic kind of way...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Had their day...

It was always going to turn that way.

Which kind of proves post #1 correct... in an ironic kind of way...
    If one is fed up of Rolex talk, the smart thing to do is NOT start a thread moaning about Rolex.
    Post about some other watches with what you like, what models, why and may be pic or two.
    Panerai.....discuss - ain't gonna cut it.

Banned
    Funny how this topic really draws people out . That wasn’t my intention , I guess it sounds like a moan but actually it wasn’t if you had read the first post and actually got the point

Master
    Plenty actually have a read of my initial post and you’ll see that I have most definitely mentioned another brand I’d like to get into

Yes but why not start a thread about another watch brand then?

Yes but as above why not start a thread about another watch brand then?

Funny how this topic really draws people out . That wasn’t my intention , I guess it sounds like a moan but actually it wasn’t if you had read the first post and actually got the point

Yes but yet again why not start a thread about another watch brand then?

All you’ve really done here is start a thread about . . . . . . . . Rolex! Why mention it? There’s been numerous threads on how all the threads are about Rolex watches. Firstly it’s not true, there are threads on other watch brands, but secondly if you want to talk about another brand, talk about it.

This seems to be a few people’s generic response to any sort of criticism of anything Rolex related .

Again , please understand my point , I’m not in anyway criticising Rolex or their market strategy , they have nailed it to be honest . And they are beyond successful as they make so many iconic pieces , my point is , that it’s peoples behaviour and the general atmosphere around the brand and it’s watches that’s becoming a bit annoying .
    You're moaning again, aren't you 樂

61 new models from Seiko to wade through any good to you 珞
    Gray

Master

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

My particular issue is not the brand itself , as mentioned I love their watches , I’ve clearly stated that . It’s the issues highlighted around the product and how the brand brings out the worst in people , most threads around the product begin with an innocent question or sale and descent into chaos and arguing ..
    and let’s face it , it’s not easy to avoid the brand as every other topic is about the brand so not so easy to avoid

Whilst I don’t disagree with many of the observations in your opening post, I don’t let it spoil my enjoyment of any of the Rolex that I have.

I just take the view to let it wash over my head and in particular fail to get wound up about stuff like waiting lists, stickers and warranty cards.

Master
    In any hobby there are great ‘iconic’ brands which define the whole field. In sports cars it’s Ferrari, in optics, Leica, in fashion, Dior. And so on. These brands become the centre around which competitors are judged.
    With watches, it’s Rolex. And that’s why it tends to keep coming up; it’s the standard others are judged by.
    That doesn’t mean it’s always the ‘best’, but it is the usual point of comparison.
    For instance, an Omega Constellation...kind of a Datejust; a Seamaster; kind of a Submariner. A Speedie Pro; cheap rival to a Daytona.
    Probably unfair, but people tend to like simple markers to judge things by.
    And that’s why it is so hard to eliminate mention of Rolex in threads.
    Last edited by paskinner; 24th March 2019 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Calling Calypso to the meme creation office. Your tutor awaits
    Gray

So let me get this straight...you are sick of Rolex threads but instead of starting your own discussion about a different brand, you post a complaint about Rolex threads? Ridiculous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    So let me get this straight...you are sick of Rolex threads but instead of starting your own discussion about a different brand, you post a complaint about Rolex threads? Ridiculous.
    Sick of Rolex threads ? That’s not what I said .
    Do you actually read the first post and understand it before replying .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    It's a love/ hate relationship for many of us😀

Brellum

I own one of the panda dial chrono’s and it is awesome in detail and COSC certified. It’s up there with Omega.

https://www.brellum.swiss/en/

I have to say I do prefer Zenith.

Craftsman
    One could start a SmithS appreciation thread. Did you know they were the first atop of Everest? There was another timekeeping company involved too but I forget exactly which brand it was!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    I have to say I do prefer Zenith.
    Overall, I prefer this to my (now sold) Daytonas.
    Why? Better dial design, a clearer, easier to read Chrono. Close to the build quality of the Daytona, with the great El Primero movement . And hugely cheaper to buy used....about a third of the price or less.
    Which seems plain daft. It doesn’t remotely reflect the quality of the Zenith. And at some point Daytona prices will fall back, White the Zenith was depreciated from the start. But, above all, it’s just a better looking watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 25th March 2019 at 17:05.