timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A tale of Swiss customs

A tale of Swiss customs

Just though I would share this as a cautionary tale
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/bewa...019-attendees/

Interesting read!

That’s fairly outrageous !

Wow, now thats a very narrow interpretation of international tax laws, and one which does the Swiss watch industry absolutely no favours. These journalists help the watchmakers make the wheel spinning, not a good idea to make their life difficult for no reason. The negative publicity value of this story by far exceeds the CHF 4,500 charged.
    Last edited by Raffe; 24th March 2019 at 11:26.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blimey. Although there is a blurred line for any journalist I guess, personal items that relate to his/her interest and can support it must have some commercial value even if that isn't their purpose.

It seems stupid behaviour from the customs authorities though.

Master
    And if the UK does indeed leave the EU Customs Union, then presumably this scenario could be played out at any border post or Airport in Europe?

Craftsman
    If travelling with goods, best to get a carnet (from you local chamber of commerce)prior to travelling.. you pay a deposit prior to travel, and claim it back when you return. Makes the process easier, transparent and hassle free..

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    If travelling with goods, best to get a carnet (from you local chamber of commerce)prior to travelling.. you pay a deposit prior to travel, and claim it back when you return. Makes the process easier, transparent and hassle free..
    Switzerland does not recognise or accept carnets.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    They do.

LINKY

Craftsman
    really?

Switzerland

Phone:
    (41-22) 819.9140
    Abbreviation:
    CH
    Fax:
    (41-22) 819.9144
    http://www.ataswiss.ch/
    Additional Information:
    Accepts ATA Carnets for: Commercial Samples Exhibitions and Fairs Professional Equipment as of 03/15/2001
    Email:
    alliance@ccig.ch
    VAT Duty Info:
    Duties 3.2% (avg.) VAT 8%, 2.4% Statistical/Environmental Tax 3% (Co2 Emissions)
    Address Information:
    Swiss Alliance of Chambers of Commerce 4, Boulevard du Théâtre Boite Postale 5039 CH-1211 Geneva 11

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    They do.

LINKY

beat me to it!!

They do.

LINKY
    I'll get my coat...........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Carnets. I learned something today. That makes today a good day

The Swiss take a dim view of their border personnel making tacit emendations to the regulations (cf https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Grüninger)

Master
    I’m missing something about this story.

The guy lives in Germany and crosses into Switzerland with his own watches and Swiss customs charge him for bringing his own second hand watches into Switzerland?

Sorry but something doesn’t add up here otherwise every person coming in to Switzerland (unless naked) could be charged in the same way for their expensive watches/clothes/shoes/bags/laptops/etc

What’s the other side of the story?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I’m missing something about this story.

The guy lives in Germany and crosses into Switzerland with his own watches and Swiss customs charge him for bringing his own second hand watches into Switzerland?

Sorry but something doesn’t add up here otherwise every person coming in to Switzerland (unless naked) could be charged in the same way for their expensive watches/clothes/shoes/bags/laptops/etc

What’s the other side of the story?
    There is no other side of the story. Customs can charge VAT (not customs, as the watches have been manufactured in Switzerland) on any items which they think could be merchandise for sale. As such, anyone travelling to a watch fair with multiple watches is fair game and the mishap was that the journalist didn't understand the seriousness of the question which he answered 'no' to. You should be able to claim back that VAT when you leave the country again and can prove the watches are still in your posession.

If customes did the Swiss watch industry and the country as a whole any favour with this (especially the CHF 1,500 fine), is another question.

Master
    Appalling and perverse implementation of rules and regulations. If authorities aren't able to reasonably prove watches are being carried with a view to sell they should be powerless to act.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

What a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Appalling and perverse implementation of rules and regulations. If authorities aren't able to reasonably prove watches are being carried with a view to sell they should be powerless to act.

Sorry but that's wishful thinking. How could authorities prove that watches are brought with a view to sell? The law is clear, customs have every right to charge VAT. A couple of decades ago nobody would have thought this unusual, it's the European common market which has made us used to carrying goods across borders without VAT or customs.

I am afraid citizens of the UK might have to get used to much more of this going forward.

Master
    Sorry but that's wishful thinking. How could authorities prove that watches are brought with a view to sell? The law is clear, customs have every right to charge VAT. A couple of decades ago nobody would have thought this unusual, it's the European common market which has made us used to carrying goods across borders without VAT or customs.

I am afraid citizens of the UK might have to get used to much more of this going forward.
    No authority to charge on personal possessions. If you are taking money off someone and cannot justify why then your are acting without legitimacy. Essentially your rights are being abused. No matter how many decades you go back, people have had a right to take personal possessions around without being subject to duties.

Master
    Really? https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home...ta-carnet.html

Sorry but that's wishful thinking. How could authorities prove that watches are brought with a view to sell? The law is clear, customs have every right to charge VAT.
    Raffe, I read up a bit on a Swiss government website. I can see that watches and jewellery have some specific treatment, but the general principle still seems to be that VAT isn’t payable on personal items. Have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Raffe, I read up a bit on a Swiss government website. I can see that watches and jewellery have some specific treatment, but the general principle still seems to be that VAT isn’t payable on personal items. Have I missed something?
    Yes.
    How do you decide what’s personal and what’s for sale?
    Take SC: watches are personal possessions that are for sale.
    If you have 1 watch it is reasonable to believe it is yours.
    If you cross the border with several collectible watches, customs can question it. If they believe that by answering to previous question you were misleading (as per Swiss law) you go through what he did.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    No authority to charge on personal possessions. If you are taking money off someone and cannot justify why then your are acting without legitimacy. Essentially your rights are being abused. No matter how many decades you go back, people have had a right to take personal possessions around without being subject to duties.

You will never get away with saying multiple watches in your suitcase are personal possession, especially when going to a watch fair! That's why the principle is easy: you pay VAT on entry and when you leave with the watches, you get it back. Alternatively, you provide an ATA Carnet, which will be recognised in lieu of VAT payment. Decades of common market have made us naively blind to very basic trade principles.

I don't know, but the outcome could have been completely different if the guy would have answered the initial question in a better way.

Having said that, I repeat my statement that the Swiss have not done themselves a favour. But they are 100% within their rights.

Yes, reading further I can see that there is a legal basis for what they did.

In practice it seems quite arbitrary and that reflects badly on the Swiss authorities as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The Swiss take a dim view of their border personnel making tacit emendations to the regulations (cf https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Grüninger)
    A very interesting read - thanks for the link.

No waterboarding, no problem

Craftsman

A tale of Swiss customs

As much as anything I guess that a story like this getting out is a warning to others who use the “cover” of going to a watch fair to really sell watches that they might get caught. The bottom line is you should be able to recover the VAT once you leave and still have all your goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intersting read, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    No waterboarding, no problem
    ahahaha