closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Basel 2019 Datejust - limited media coverage

Basel 2019 Datejust - limited media coverage

Much of the media coverage surrounds the sports models such as the gmt , two tone seadweller. There doesn’t appear to be any pictures of the new datejust black dial on jubilee. Searched on YouTube and can’t see any videos either.

Has anyone come across any pics/videos?

What's new about it?

Updated movement in 36mm case, or a newer case and dial range too?
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    Much of the media coverage surrounds the sports models such as the gmt , two tone seadweller. There doesn’t appear to be any pictures of the new datejust black dial on jubilee. Searched on YouTube and can’t see any videos either.

Here's a write up https://www.fratellowatches.com/hot-...erence-126234/

I was semi-interested but I already have the 116234 with the hidden clasp jubilee. On my 6.1" wrist, I think I prefer the neatness of the hidden clasp bracelet.

Kind regards

Master
    I'm surprised at the lack of attention this is getting. I'm really liking the slimmer case & new dials.

Craftsman
    Why did they stop the hidden clasp ? New one look worse

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    The new bracelet has the Easy Link system. This needs somewhere to hide when not in use, without a clasp you couldn’t have the extra half link.

Journeyman
    Maybe there's nothing much to say about it considering they already had the 36mm with the new movement but with precious metals last time around. I would argue though this is one of the best releases of the show - and there's nothing snarky about that statement.

Grand Master
    Didn’t the concealed clasp on the 116234 lack fine adjustment? From what I could see, adjustment was limited to one full link whuch is far from ideal. The new clasp addresses this and looks fine to me, a throwback to the traditional style of the pre-2006 16234 (before the lugs got fat!)

I like the post-2006 Datejust models but the fatter lugs lugs didn’t improve the aesthetics compared to the earlier versions. Interesting to note that Rolex have changed this for the latest model.

Other than the price tags, I like the latest Datejust a lot. Using the new movement, with longer power reserve, doesn’t interest me because I saw nothing wrong with the previous offering, but the changes to the case and the jubilee bracelet are definite pluses.

Generally, I prefer older Rolex models from ca1990-2006, but the drawback with the older Datejusts was the weakness of the jubilee bracelet and poor legibility of the dials in certain light conditions. The post 2006 models were much improved in these areas and the fatter lugs gave the watch added wrist presence; these models wear bigger than their 36mm size suggests but I was always happy with the earlier ones.

I’ll be interested to see the latest 216200 in the flesh, I think it’ll be slightly nicer than the model it replaces owing to the subtle change to the lugs. The polished centre links and lug tops will still split opinions, I prefer the older style with brushed/grained finish, but the Datejust remains a firm favourite of mine.

Perhaps Rolex will produce the Oyster 36 or 39 with the new-style slimmer lugs in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post

There's a video on Rolex's Instagram page.

'Rolex is introducing a new variant of the Oyster Perpetual Datejust 36 in a white Rolesor version (combining Oystersteel and 18ct white gold). It has a refined, black sunray-finish dial and a fluted bezel, and is equipped with calibre 3235, at the forefront of watchmaking technology. '

Would be nice with a blue dial but the hands look pretty flat...

For me, this is the pick of the Basel selection. The black dial appears to be a sunburst dial, interesting to see some outdoor shots of this one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji053 View Post
    Lack of fine adjustment! That’s my theory.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Would be nice with a blue dial but the hands look pretty flat...
    I woukd expect them to do a range of dials in thw fullness of time.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I woukd expect them to do a range of dials in thw fullness of time hic burp.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    It would have been nice to see a 38mm as many find the 36mm too small and the 41 too big

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    41 is 39.4mm

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    41 is 39.4mm

I prefer my DJII - much better size for me and I wear it more than any sports Rolex I own now. Just a great every day watch that's built like a Tank or a Sub ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I prefer my DJII - much better size for me and I wear it more than any sports Rolex I own now. Just a great every day watch that's built like a Tank or a Sub ;)
    I’ve not worn a DJII but believe that they wear true to Rolex stated size. That’s the beauty of the DJ, it’ll take anything day to day life throws at it, unless you’re a deep sea diver or work with heavy machinery! A watch for living with rather than fantasising.

Craftsman
    The new Datejust 36 is a lovely looking piece, completely went under the radar. Nice work from Rolex imo

Haven’t yet come across any live Basel pictures of this, apart from the Rolex promotional videos.

Unless I'm missing something, there already is a range of dials.
    Rolex website: https://www.rolex.com/watches/config...234-0013/model

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I woukd expect them to do a range of dials in thw fullness of time.

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, there already is a range of dials.
    Rolex website: https://www.rolex.com/watches/config...234-0013/model
    Excepting all the jewelled one, just black, blue, silver and white-with-Roman-numerals at the moment

Has anyone come across real life pictures of the blue dial? I’ve searched and have only found m articles featuring the black dial