closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cloud backups

Cloud backups

What do you use for your cloud backups?

I have a Mac with a couple of attached external drives. Currently I use a combination of Apple's time machine and a bunch of flash drives (kept in a fireproof safe) for backup. I'd be interested in people's experiences with cloud options as I think it may be a good way to go.

Master
    Apple’s iCloud for me as all my Apple devices can access it seamlessly. Costs very little too.

My Mac is backed up to a USB hard disk too using TimeMachine.

Pete

Master
    I don't use cloud.

I use fog backup - grandfather father son on network hard, physical removable hard and usb with one offsite at any time for private and two offsite for customers - they have thanked me on more than one occasion :-)

This new fangled cloud thing....................might as well backup to facebook with their text password files :-)

B

Thomas Reid
    I have Nextcloud on my website (hosted by Zen). This is used for general cloud storage of files, calendars, contacts, and notes. All this is accessible from any device or computer. I also have a local server at home which does automatic backups of everything at home. In addition, I have an external USB drive for backup, which I use to do a sneaker net backup to my college computer. So, for important files, there are at least 4 backups.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I use Backblaze to back up my MacBook Pro. It works really well once you’ve completed the intial backup. It will back up external disks provided they are connected to the system once every 28 days.

Master
    I've used a few cloud storage services for backups, but in the end I always decide they're too slow and expensive. I use a combination of local and removable drives, and networked storage on my own LAN.

Backblaze if Mac

Master
    Just had a look at the Backblaze site, and I see that it offers "unlimited" backup. I did use a supposedly unlimited service a few years ago - can't remember what it was called, unfortunately - but after I'd uploaded 1.5T or so, they sent me an email saying that I'd gone beyond what was considered "reasonable" as described in their small print.

$6 a month would be very cheap for (say) 4TB of storage, which is roughly what I'd look to back up. That amount of nearline (access less than once per month) in Google's cloud would cost more than $40 / month.

Backblaze is actually unlimited. The only limitation is what I said about external disks. They are removed from your backup set if not seen for 28 days. Backblaze also has iOS and Android apps which let you access your backup. Ideal if you need a file and are away from home.

Thanks, Backblaze seems worth a look–I shall investigate further.

What cloud backup is available for a NAS?

Apple Timecapsule.

2 X 2 GB USB drives that are cycled once a month, off site ( in the car )

Synology NAS.

Carbon Copy Cloner https://bombich.com/