closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to buy a great perlon strap

Craftsman

Where to buy a great perlon strap

I love the look of perlon straps so bought one about a year ago from watch gecko. Unfortunately it was a disappointing combination of uncomfortable and badly made. I imagine that as with NATO straps not all perlons are made equal. Where should I be heading to in order to find one that is actually decent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot about perlon straps on here, if you search--including which are considered the best, since not all are made equally.

I have bought from these two places, both well regarded and would recommend straps from either.

https://rios1931.com/sailor-plaited-...ter-resistant/

http://www.yellys.ch/zub/zub-eulit-de.html

Velorium may be along shortly with his wealth of knowledge on the subject!

I love perlon straps and have tried nearly all of them.

Most will tell you Eulit ones are the best. They’re very good, but I actually find the Watchinsession ones the same but slightly softer and more flexible. However the Eulit buckle is the best, so get one to replace the one that comes on the watchibsession.

Once properly sized (remove the keeper and size it so that the tail of the strap just clears the buckle so doesn’t need securing) I cut and quaterise the excess that feeds back through the buckle and there you have it.

So that’s my fave combo. FWIW Eulit ones are more consistently the width you ask for whereas some others can vary I have found. Watchatrapson perlons are nice too, even softer but perhaps a little too soft so the weave isn’t always perfectly 90 degrees to the strap.

Once all sorted I also recommend a quick run down of the ends with a nail file to rid yourself of any burrs, then you’re set.

I’ve been wearing perlons with my small and vintage watches for years now and in the right watch they really are superb. What puts many people off is the initial shock ‘wow I thought it would feel like cotton’ and the fact often buckles feel poor quality from stamped steel. If you get a good one and a Eulit buckle (stainless and VERY strong despite appearances) you have to wear them in a bit but they are lovely imo.

Cheers

Master
    Thanks for that.

had one off Watchobsession which was much more comfy than some of the cheaper ones with the sharp plastic moulding to seal the ends.

Agreed. I’m a bit of a pro now at sealing the ends myself.

Worst I ever had was from cheapestnatostraps. Awful material that didn’t hold shape and the ends were a joke. Not the first time I’ve had problems with that company but I’ll save that for another thread!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like eulit perlons. great quality and dont slacken like a few others but I find them a bit short so avoid if you have a larger wrist.

Master
    Eulit for me. Nothing else has come close so now no longer look for alternatives !

Master
    Eulit for me too, great choice in sizes and colours, and fit my skinny wrist just fine. Very cheap from the right site on eBay.

The only reason I tried something other than Eulit is because their colours aren’t great - the grey is quite light and the brown is almost black.

I wanted very dark grey and lighter brown, hence the investigations into other brands. Watchobsession are just as good apart from the buckle!

The best are vintage Eulit Panama. Great quality and colour variety, at a price...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...oto-Comparison

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Agreed. I’m a bit of a pro now at sealing the ends myself.

Worst I ever had was from cheapestnatostraps. Awful material that didn’t hold shape and the ends were a joke. Not the first time I’ve had problems with that company but I’ll save that for another thread!!
    Totally with you on the cheapestnatostrap issues. I had some of their "premium leather" straps that are allegedly hand made in Sweden despite identical straps being sold cheaper on Ali express. One of them fell apart after 4 wears. It doesn't surprise me that their perlons are just as bad

Master
    Wristcandywatchclub.com Melange?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Don't waste your time with cheap Perlon copies which means most things that are not Eulit. They will be nasty scratchy affairs that lack substance leaving the watch head head to flop about on your wrist.

Available as Krystal and Panama variants - I prefer the latter.

More information on this thread
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Perlon-straps!

I have found that they may feel a little stiff at first but after some wear they kind of mould themselves to your wrist shape and become supremely comfortable.

They are incredibly durable too, I have a grey 18mm one that I have worn for years. I occasionally stick it in the washing machine and it shows no signs of wear.

I have bought a few from this German eBay seller
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eulit-Per...53.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by Velorum; 25th March 2019 at 08:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Don't waste your time with cheap Perlon copies which means most things that are not Eulit. They will be nasty scratchy affairs that lack substance leaving the watch head head to flop about on your wrist.

I have found that they may feel a little stiff at first but after some wear they kind of mould themselves to your wrist shape and become supremely comfortable.

They are incredibly durable too, I have a grey 18mm one that I have worn for years. I occasionally stick it in the washing machine and it shows no signs of wear.

Well, like I said there are some others out there that rate as highly if not better but yes it’s a bit of a crapshoot. I agree Eulit is the best place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

Velorum: the Haywood Milton of perlon straps!

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the input, it looks like I am hearing similar things from everyone so have a good idea of where to head to next!

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Velorum: the Haywood Milton of perlon straps!
    Ha ha!

I suspect that applies more to Mr Curta than me!

OP - check out his link to another thread and read about the buckle differences that can be found with Eulits. Many unfairly criticise the thinner pressed steel ones saying they are insubstantial and poor quality - this is simply not the case, I have had dozens of Eulits and never had one malfunction or fail in any way. The more substantial squarer looking one may seem like a safer bet but beware - it offers no adjustment to the length of the strap. This may or not be an issue to you but it is to me as in keeping with the unlimited adjustment offered by the strap material design I like to get the length just right too.

I have an Eulit and a few cheap ones from cheapnatostraps.

Eulit is far superior, but even that I find a bit harsh, I might try the alternatives mentioned in this post.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by barbosas View Post
    I have an Eulit and a few cheap ones from cheapnatostraps.

Eulit is far superior, but even that I find a bit harsh, I might try the alternatives mentioned in this post.

Cheers
    How much wear has it had?
    I find some a little harsh at first but they get better over time especially when they have had a wash.

Like I said above, the watchobsession ones feel like my two year old daily worn Eulit right away so maybe try one of them