timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incoming grail

Master

Incoming grail

Been on my list for 20 years now
    It's not a Patek or Moser but it's a major win for me

Always nice to see a long term achievement ticked. Well done! Looks nice, does it live up to 20 yrs of expectation?

Master
    Nice to see some lobster.

Always nice to see other peoples grail watches. Especially when it's something that's not just off the shelf when enough funds allow. Unfortunately achieving a grail means you need a new goal!

Well done. That is more horologically satisfying than a Patek and a Moser put together.

It's a hum dinger all right..congrats...
    There is going to be a void in your life what's you going hunting for next?

Wear it good health and have great weekend.
    P

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Love it 朗

A unique timepiece! Wonderful!

Fmf

Fantastic, well done. Much more rewarding chasing after these old tatty things. It still looks in great nick as well?

Well done! Is there something special about this one, seeing as it's not a particularly rare model ?

Master
    It is pretty rare, extremely I would say. it was only made for about 4 years, about 45 years ago in small numbers. Not many will realise that this, however, shares a lot of DNA with the much reviled Speedmaster Reduced, both have a Dubois Depraz module...

Extremely rare ?! I easily got one myself in 2011 if memory serves and had it fixed up by STS. If anything the Tronosonic version of that movement by Baume & Mercier is seen a lot less often. They've come up many times over the years for sale in the forums and and are readily available on eBay or Chrono 24. Now again, the OPs may have something special about it, hence my question.

I've long lusted after one of these and will get one one day, still hoping I'll get to see one in person at some point before then as they're pretty large beasties.

Congrats OP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Extremely rare ?! I easily got one myself in 2011 if memory serves and had it fixed up by STS. If anything the Tronosonic version of that movement by Baume & Mercier is seen a lot less often. They've come up many times over the years for sale in the forums and and are readily available on eBay or Chrono 24. Now again, the OPs may have something special about it, hence my question.
    Yours was a lobster bracelet version with applied marker grey mirror dial too? I can’t say I have seen them pop up all that often. Compared to the Moonwatch, Speedsonics are rare.
    Last edited by Padders; 24th March 2019 at 08:10.

Yes that's the "standard" SS Lobster setup. There are indeed fewer of these around than Speedmasters that have been made for decades if you're after any SM but the numbers go down if you're looking for a specific year. I guess my point was that you can get a SS Lobster any time you feel like it depending on your price/condition criteria, unlike say an OMC with an SS bezel or a 1525 Deck Chronometer as these pop up every 3 or 4 years.

Where does the OP say it's rare or that he has searched for a long time? He simply wanted one for 20 years and has finally bought one.

OP, I know how you feel and congratulations to a very nice watch. It's beautiful and appears to be in great nick.
    Last edited by Raffe; 24th March 2019 at 11:25.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Very nice,well done.

Good on you mate.....
    (And as others have said, now you’ll have to find something else to hunt down!!)

Master
    Congratulations from me also. Looks like a lovely piece.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Master
    These are truely lovely in the flesh. Nice one OP. But as others have said you’ll just be getting another grail. I know I have at least 5 times :)

Well done on finding something that you have wanted for so long. I hope it brings you happiness each time you look at it.

Well done. The wait is over

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

very cool.

Master
    Different yet familiar. Well done on your persistence. What took you so long - money or finding one in strong enough condition?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for the feedback guys, to answer some of your questions :-
    I'm not the richest man in the world so cost was an issue, I wasn't willing to pay £3500 or more for this watch
    Yes, I believe it is rare when you consider leather bands, part leather bands, non lobster bracelets, German dates, French dates, Italian dates, this one although bought from Germany, looks to have English words and the most important full lobster bracelet.
    condition is important as I wear my watches and not leave them all in a safe, the other issue is that it seem something else always comes along, which is available and affordable, i guess this is why I have 300 timepieces and not just the diver, the Rolex, the dress watch and the beater.

I had agree an offer on this watch a year ago and he pulled out of the deal and doubled the price https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/furniture/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

All in all I hope it's everything dreamed of and I hope it works when it arrives.
    There are many more grails on the list, including a Golden Bridge, a ROO, a Daytona to mention but a few.

On a side note, I am likely to be stung for duty coming from DE and not USA for a change?

It looks very nice, I hope the day-wheel alignment doesn't develop into a problem.

If it's coming from Germany, you have to fear neither customs nor taxes. Such are the benefits of the common market. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys, to answer some of your questions :-
    I'm not the richest man in the world so cost was an issue, I wasn't willing to pay £3500 or more for this watch
    Yes, I believe it is rare when you consider leather bands, part leather bands, non lobster bracelets, German dates, French dates, Italian dates, this one although bought from Germany, looks to have English words and the most important full lobster bracelet.
    condition is important as I wear my watches and not leave them all in a safe, the other issue is that it seem something else always comes along, which is available and affordable, i guess this is why I have 300 timepieces and not just the diver, the Rolex, the dress watch and the beater.

I had agree an offer on this watch a year ago and he pulled out of the deal and doubled the price https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/furniture/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

All in all I hope it's everything dreamed of and I hope it works when it arrives.
    There are many more grails on the list, including a Golden Bridge, a ROO, a Daytona to mention but a few.

On a side note, I am likely to be stung for duty coming from DE and not USA for a change?
    The market is good for these at the moment for some reason, there is probably more for sale currently than there has been in years(I know as I've been following them for years). But yes they are quite rare, usually you see more cusion case Speedsonics for sale than there are lobsters, but currently it's the other way around which is unusual. I prefer the lobster, almost bought one middle last year but as usual got nervous about the size and bought a Longines Ultronic Chrono of the same family instead(incidentally it's been away somewhere or other for repair ever since but should be finally due back in my hands fully functional hopefully next week).

Good luck with it, hope it arrives all perfect. At least Paul at electricwatches is back taking work currently and is very reasonable with costs if there are any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    It's funny because it's true.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barbosas View Post
    It's funny because it's true.
    “When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer” I’ll let you know how I feel when I get my grail (RG /WG Rolex GMT II

Its very true whatever you want, once you get it you will want something else.

Craftsman
    Nice watch, should get noticed.

Master
    Well done and congrats, great to see something a little different esp for grail

That's my favourite hummer and a great variation of the speedmaster.

Journeyman
    Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    excellent OP,what a cracking watch,i have a small selection of hummers,one of those would top it off very nicely indeed..

Craftsman
    Congrats mate, you’ll have to show that to me over a coffee in town someday soon.

Banned
    Always nice to tick off a box in getting a grail.

Now you'll need to find the golden fleece :D

Master
    Cracking looking watch, congratulations. always nice to see a man and his grail united!

That smooth action second hand really does it for me, great watch!!

What a stunner!!

Congratulations on attaining your grail. It looks great, but you already know that ...

Wear it in good health.
    Last edited by Onespeed; 29th March 2019 at 14:30.

Master
    Nowt wrong with that. Very nice.

I hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I doubt it’s something I would be able to wear, but it’s easy to see how cool that is.

Looking forward to a review once you’ve had it for a while...

Master
    So it's not all good news!
    Watch is immaculate and came with the original receipt, warranty and instructions.

The major issue is the lack of working! I also agree that the day wheel may be stuck.

So anywhere I can take this for a service?

Have you tried a new battery ?
    What does the seller have to say ?
    Mine came from Chono24 and it was sold as "working perfectly" but it was all messed up. Fortunately I had paid with Paypal so I was covered.
    As for service, if you want peace of mind (all parts provided, 100% working, 2 year warranty), it's STS but it's going to cost you. Other people can tinker but be ready for some potential headaches...

Master
    Battery will obviously be step one when I get home.
    I have contacted the auction house to see what their reaction is, wasn't advertised as working but on the other hand, it wasn't advertised spares or repair either!
    Will see what STS have to say, really can't be chucking huge amounts at it however.

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Have you tried a new battery ?
    What does the seller have to say ?
    Mine came from Chono24 and it was sold as "working perfectly" but it was all messed up. Fortunately I had paid with Paypal so I was covered.
    As for service, if you want peace of mind (all parts provided, 100% working, 2 year warranty), it's STS but it's going to cost you. Other people can tinker but be ready for some potential headaches...

Contact Paul at electricwatches, he's the man for these and very reasonable.

http://electric-watches.co.uk

He just did my Longines ultronic chrono for me which shares the exact same movement as this one.

Don't bother with STS for this watch, they'll be sky high compared with Paul.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 11th April 2019 at 14:09.

What a bummer, I also bought a not so cheap watch last week at auction and if it came in non working condition I would feel like sh*t.

If you can get some with the expertise to give you an estimate for repair and if the value is not astronomical I wouldn't bother trying to return it.