closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: excel formula help please (Its easy but I can't see the wood for the trees).

excel formula help please (Its easy but I can't see the wood for the trees).

I know there are some spreadsheet wizards on here and that this is an easy question I just can't get my head around it

A= 1890
    B= 1781
    C= -5.77%

so cell C is the % difference between Cell A and Cell B,

My question. What is the formula i type in Cell C to get the above answer please.

Thank you for your help.

A1 = 1890
    B1 = 1781
    C1 = (B1-A1)/A1
    *100 to get % or set % format

Master
    =100%-(B1/A1)

Not sure if this works any differently to the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    A1 = 1890
    B1 = 1781
    C1 = (B1-A1)/A1
    *100 to get % or set % format
    Yeah I'd do it this way as well,
    C1 = ((A1-B1)/A1) * 100

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Thank you both, for replying so quickly.

Wish I’d paid more attention at school, in fact I wish I’d turned up more at school.

(B1/A1)-1
    *100 or adjust the cell format to %
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Hello

I’m intrigued by this formula lark.

Will have to try it out!

Blog Entries
    Likewise, with Excel being a weak point for me!
    Thanks guys.

Hello

Any other useful excel tips please post here.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Any other useful excel tips please post here.
    You’ll wish you’d never asked, there are millions and I bet the next post has “pivots” in it!

Master
    I've a mate who's a bit of an Excel whizz and he manipulates large databases very easily. I suspect I only use about 2% of its functionality and power but well worth taking the time to learn a few of the basics as it's a real time saver when you know them and can set up an efficient spreadsheet/database from the outset.

Oh and Pivots 😀

With respect to OP, the original problem is just one of maths.

With respect to OP, the original problem is just one of maths.

Also with respect, I think the OP had done the maths...and provided the answer. The question related to how to achieve the same in Excel. Perhaps you might had meant that the problem was one of how to express the maths algebraically (and in a format compatible with the spreadsheet)...?

Nothing says 'Saturday night' like a spreadsheet!

excel formula help please (Its easy but I can't see the wood for the trees).

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Also with respect, I think the OP had done the maths...and provided the answer. The question related to how to achieve the same in Excel. Perhaps you might had meant that the problem was one of how to express the maths algebraically (and in a format compatible with the spreadsheet)...?
    Suppose only OP can answer this but if maths can be done, can be written algebraically and then only a small step away from Excel formula.

If you need the outcome to be expressed to 2dp (rather than merely displayed to two dp, for example for further calcs comparisons etc), you’ll need to encase the formula with =round([formula],2)

Craftsman
    Suppose only OP can answer this but if maths can be done, can be written algebraically and then only a small step away from Excel formula.
    Agree. Write it down then convert to what is needed in excel.
    Last edited by mangoosian; 24th March 2019 at 12:02.

Excel's wonderful. I get it to run off to the park run website every Monday, pulling back the total number of runs all of our school runners have done, seeing if the number has increased since last time, graphing the result. It's a fabulous program.

Have also managed to get it to go off to the consortium website to check a list of products to see if the price has changed. Basically it can load a specified URL into an object that it can then parse. It's really powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    If you need the outcome to be expressed to 2dp (rather than merely displayed to two dp, for example for further calcs comparisons etc), you’ll need to encase the formula with =round([formula],2)
    Nope. Your formula changes the result. If you want it displayed to 2dp, you have to format the cell accordingly.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    It may as well be hieroglyphs! I have not a clue what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Nope. Your formula changes the result. If you want it displayed to 2dp, you have to format the cell accordingly.
    Yes, that’s exactly what I said - if you want it expressed to two dp rather than merely displayed to two dp

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Yes, that’s exactly what I said - if you want it expressed to two dp rather than merely displayed to two dp
    You are correct, I was probably still half asleep when I posted.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You are correct, I was probably still half asleep when I posted.
    No worries :)

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Excel's wonderful. I get it to run off to the park run website every Monday, pulling back the total number of runs all of our school runners have done, seeing if the number has increased since last time, graphing the result. It's a fabulous program.

Have also managed to get it to go off to the consortium website to check a list of products to see if the price has changed. Basically it can load a specified URL into an object that it can then parse. It's really powerful.
    Indeed it is. I started using spreadsheets with Lotus123 way back when, and once filled a complete office wall with taped together printouts of a massive Excel spreadsheet I'd created so I could walk other people in the team through it

I use it extensively, including cataloguing every game Doncaster Rovers have played since 1901, calculates win, lose, draw, goals for, goals against, average goals per game, highest and lowest league position etc etc - yes, sad, I know...................

When you get to grips with Excel it has many unexpected uses.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

And of course spreadsheets are great for keeping track of the watch savings fund!

Master
    I realise it's a total misuse of the programme (speaking as someone who once created a 55 tab interactive spreadsheet that detailed the connections on a large fibre patching frame) but I find it's also by far the quickest way to print any miscellaneous bit of text such as an address label. I find it much quicker than Word for instance.

If you want to open up excel: show the developer tab and start visual basic.

There's loads of help on google so try a userform first and then show a message box (msgbox) containing, I don't know, off the top of my head,

"hello world"

Then you'll be up and running with vba which is very, very powerful!

Hello

So if you have the following cells for amounts allocated to a project,

Current / Predicted / Final

How do you write that as a formula and yes I’m afraid I am a bit of a spanner with all this.

Best,

Ben

Hello

I’m trying to show if there is an underspend / overspend or if they are bang on the money.

Craftsman
    So if you have the following cells for amounts allocated to a project,

Current / Predicted / Final

How do you write that as a formula and yes I’m afraid I am a bit of a spanner with all this.

Best,

Ben
    Create a series (sequence of numbers) for the predicted/final spend. This will translate into a graph plot for the planned spend.
    Then create a series for the actual spend over time. This can also be represented as a graph and you also have running costs against actuals in table from.

E.g if period 03 is final:
    Period 01 02 03
    Predicted 20 40 70
    Actual 15 45 65

Hello

So is there a way of having the current column (A) applied to the predicted column (B) and end with the final column (C).

Or would it be better to have an extra column (D) which shows underspend / overspend if applicable.

Craftsman
    So is there a way of having the current column (A) applied to the predicted column (B) and end with the final column (C).

Or would it be better to have an extra column (D) which shows underspend / overspend if applicable.
    There is a forecast function that you can use. This can plot a trendline on the graph too.

A column tracking underspend and overspend makes sense too.

Hello

Thanks, will make a copy of my current book and have a play around.

Master
    I’m trying to show if there is an underspend / overspend or if they are bang on the money.
    You mean something like this?

Hello

Mr Pointy, yes!