closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best place for private sale whilst waiting for TZ?

Journeyman

Best place for private sale whilst waiting for TZ?

Probably a controversial topic, but wondering where the best place for a private sale is?
    I have two that I'd like to sell however, whilst I'm waiting for my TZ contributions and time, where would I go to sell them?

I've never really been keen on ebay, and trade prices will be much lower.

Thoughts? Or is this a banned topic?

Craftsman
    Chrono24 is a pretty good option.

Could also consider selling viw a dealer on consignment. i.e you give them the watch to sell and they will take a % of the sale price once sold.

Quote Originally Posted by arun1uk View Post
    Or is this a banned topic?
    It's a "proceed with caution" topic because stealth sales posts are, to quote Ross from Friends, "frowned upon". As long as you avoid saying much about what you're looking to sell, you should be safe. But threads like this are not advisable. There's plenty of generic advice if you search for it, and the only way you'll get specific advice is through problematic questions & answers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    It's a "proceed with caution" topic because stealth sales posts are, to quote Ross from Friends, "frowned upon". As long as you avoid saying much about what you're looking to sell, you should be safe. But threads like this are not advisable. There's plenty of generic advice if you search for it, and the only way you'll get specific advice is through problematic questions & answers.
    He’s asked a reasonable question requesting a bit of experienced advice, he’s never mentioned what he’s got for sale , but threads like this aren’t advisable ?

Really ?

Journeyman
    Thanks for the advice, that's what I want to avoid. It's more about education, rather than a sale itself (you can see I've avoided adding details).
    Chrono24 is a good idea too, will give that a go.

Master
    Are you in a hurry? Because if not, why not relax and wait until you can use SC. But be aware, it’s a rather ‘sports watch’ sales forum and some nice stuff can still stick. It’s no magic answer in many cases. Price to sell, plenty of pics, honest description.
    And good luck.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Are you in a hurry? Because if not, why not relax and wait until you can use SC. But be aware, it’s a rather ‘sports watch’ sales forum and some nice stuff can still stick. It’s no magic answer in many cases. Price to sell, plenty of pics, honest description.
    And good luck.
    No particular rush, but would need to respond to posts which add no value and I'm not keen on that approach.
    Also watches been refurbed with guarantees so wouldnt want the new owner to miss out on the remaining duration. Thanks for the thought though

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by arun1uk View Post
    No particular rush, but would need to respond to posts which add no value and I'm not keen on that approach.
    Also watches been refurbed with guarantees so wouldnt want the new owner to miss out on the remaining duration. Thanks for the thought though
    Hi Arun,

Ebay has low fee offers that you can take advantage of. Alternatively Chronotrader doesn’t require a post count but can be very difficult without other references. I am not keen on Gumtree due to scammers but I have sold a nice constellation to another collector so this may be worth considering!
    Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Difficult to answer without knowing what it is that you are looking to sell. e-bay works very well and they have a £1 selling fee at present, so only 4% PayPal fees to pay. If you put plenty of images and a clear description including in detail any issues then I rarely encounter any problems.

I would feel uncomfortable listing a £10k watch on e-bay, but anything up to a couple of grand seems fine. Most buyers seem to be the guys that frequent watch forums anyway.

To avoid scammers detail that you will only send the Watch to the PayPal registered address of the buyer - no exceptions.

If you are in PP, Rolex or Omega etc type territory you are probably better talking to major dealers, but they usually give you a better deal for part ex rather than a straight cash purchase.

Join Watchuseek, you can list there from your very first post.

I really don’t understand why you would say that “threads like this are not advisable”. Unless you’re a clairvoyant there’s no way it could be seen as a stealth sales post, so imo the OP has done nothing wrong.

@ the OP. Depending on what you’re selling, Chrono24 could well be a good option. I’d look into that over eBay if it was me...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I really don’t understand why you would say that “threads like this are not advisable”. Unless you’re a clairvoyant there’s no way it could be seen as a stealth sales post, so imo the OP has done nothing wrong.
    I didn't say OP has done anything wrong. I just said threads like this are ill-advised, as you should well know having been around for a while. There's already one potential landmine in the replies, hence my advice to proceed with caution.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    .....Join Watchuseek, you can list there from your very first post.
    This has not been the case for some time now, extract from WUS site:-

"To initiate a sales post in the Sales Corner as a private seller you must first be registered longer than 90 days and have a minimum of 100 posts in our discussion forums."

Even so, it may be worthwhile for the OP to join WUS and sell there when they reach the qualifying criterea.

Craftsman
    IMHO, 100 posts seem reasonable, however the TZ post requirement of 250 is excessive..

Controversial I know, but for me, it'll take a long time to get to that number..

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    IMHO, 100 posts seem reasonable, however the TZ post requirement of 250 is excessive..

Controversial I know, but for me, it'll take a long time to get to that number..
    Once you’ve reached your 250’posts, you’ll see that it isn’t excessive and is actually pretty lenient.

If it were my forum, I’d have at lest the same post count to view SC as to sell in it.

IMHO, the issue of post count only really arises with people who join primarily to sell rather than join in the community.

Not a long time, just 180 days of membership, or 1.38888889 meaningful posts per day. Of course you can view SC much sooner than that if you wish to buy. You could always send a PM to Eddie and ask if he'll change his rules.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    The key word here is meaningful.. no point in making a comment or starting a post unless you have something to say..
    I can buy on SC, but can't comment or ask questions.. which itself limits my contribution..
    You'll always get people who just want to buy and sell, but from my limited experience, most people on here are genuine, and just enjoy watches..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you checked to see if someone has posted a WTB?

Craftsman
    250 posts is probably preferable to the pay to sell model that some forums use, at least it is for me. Agreed, it may take a while to get to 250 posts, especially if you're fairly new to the game as I am, but that's probably better than a bunch of people paying £30 to sell and then never making meaningful contributions.

Blog Entries
    If you want to sell quickly then Watchfinder will give you a quote.

This is primarily a watch forum not a place to by and sell stuff - and I do mean stuff as you’ll find out in due course if you hang around.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd March 2019 at 09:06.

I’ve sold a few on Chrono24 and would recommend it. They do however take a 6.5% fee up to maximum of £299

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If you want to sell quickly then Watchfinder will give you a quote.

This is primarily a watch forum not a place to by and sell stuff - and I do mean stuff as you’ll find out in due course if you hang around.
    Indeed much easier just selling to watchfinder. Especially if it concerns Rolex or Patek as these seem to attract the most drama on there!

Have you had any PM’s asking what you have for sale?
    There is stealth dealers here who are on the look out for quiet deals so be aware..

Stick at it mate .I felt the same 7 years ago
    In another 7 Years I should be good to go ...lol

Quote Originally Posted by speedypro1111 View Post
    Stick at it mate .I felt the same 7 years ago
    In another 7 Years I should be good to go ...lol
    There’s plenty to post about on here, not just watches. I joined six months after you and have over 10,000 posts and I’m hardly prolific.

If you read something and have an opinion or something to say, just say it, your post count will soon rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There’s plenty to post about on here, not just watches. I joined six months after you and have over 10,000 posts and I’m hardly prolific.

If you read something and have an opinion or something to say, just say it, your post count will soon rise.
    I didn’t want to just post on any old subject due to the fear of being accused of trying to bump up my post count ;-)
    I was infact a member way before 2012 ,I can’t remember my user name but I’m certain I’d have managed at least 10 posts .. lol

Best place for private sale whilst waiting for TZ?

I think that after being a member for at least seven years, no one would accuse you of bumping your post count!

And if you’re not just here for SC then it’s irrelevant anyway.

Plenty of selling groups on Facebook, and some also brand specific.

But with any sales platform, proceed with caution and ‘buy the seller’.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Plenty of selling groups on Facebook, and some also brand specific.

But with any sales platform, proceed with caution and ‘buy the seller’.
    He is looking to sell.
    Should he 'sell the buyer'?

Master
    I’d go with a few saying either Chrono 24 or sale by consignment . In general I’ve found it takes a few months to shift through Chrono 24 unless of course it’s an obvious bargain.
    Chronext will give you a quote within 24 hours. On occasion I’ve found them reasonable
    Avoid the Bay like the plague as anything of value is constantly open to scams. I’ve given up on it after having to repeatedly contact EBay to rebate back sales fees. They are at least pleasant to deal with.

Journeyman
    Thanks all. I genuinely enjoy watches and this is a great community to contribute in (and have done in a number of topics), but as stated, I don't feel right just posting for the sake of it, I believe it should be meaningful.

I'm here for the long haul (have a few planned additions, including the IWC Portuguesier Chrono 150yr) but just canvassing opinions on where people tend to sell, with success.

I recently sold 3 on eBay to 2 people and they were both genuine and lovely people, however, are of some horror stories. Just wondering where else to try, and will give Chrono24 a go

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Considering Chrono 24 also, as you can see the rest of the prices like for like and they also have the escrow facility which is attractive for faceless transactions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Chrono 24 seems to be full of overpriced watches. As for the security/escrow, I wouldn’t rely on that.

Always seems to be full of dealers hawking stuff at silly prices to me.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Chrono 24 seems to be full of overpriced watches. As for the security/escrow, I wouldn’t rely on that.
    Is that an opinion Paul or based on fact, given that you are an advocate of traveling the length and breadth of the country to view a potential purchase in person.

I bought a watch a few weeks back from a private seller in Holland on Chrono24. I offered him €100 less than he was asking and he accepted. I paid for the watch, which was immediately booked to the Chrono24 escrow account. The seller was instructed to ship. Two days later the watch arrived. I had to confirm receipt, then was asked if I was happy with my purchase and was I happy for the seller to have his funds released.

From a buyers perspective it was a pain free and relatively safe way to conduct business. Like PayPal and others they take their pound of flesh from the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    He is looking to sell.
    Should he 'sell the buyer'?
    No Raj, but it's all based on trust. Trust is very important to some people.

It's very long wait for me to reach 250 posts !