closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Snooker - Coral Tour Championship

Snooker - Coral Tour Championship

Is anyone else watching (ITV4) the Coral Tour Championship? If you are, what do you think of the format, entertainment value etc.

For my part, I think it exposes the virtues (and drawbacks) of players better than other formats. Starting with only eight players the long matches (best of 17 frames, then 19 then a 25 frame final) each allow the players to fail (a little) and respond. Several protracted games of positional snooker may not be the best entertainment, but it is the game as it is played and not seen very often on TV. My appreciation is developing the more I watch.

Yesterday's comeback by O'Sullivan was incredible. As was his final in the last championship he won, with his 1000th career century. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I appreciate his talent over, what, 25 years at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Yesterday's comeback by O'Sullivan was incredible. As was his final in the last championship he won, with his 1000th career century. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I appreciate his talent over, what, 25 years at the top?
    O'Sullivan's win was, indeed, incredible...so much so that I felt sorry for Judd Trump. My liking, or otherwise, for O'Sullivan has varied over the years. IMO, he's always been honest, sometimes too honest, but now that he's come to terms with himself he's more than a tremendous talent, he's an example to others still facing the path to be a professional sportsman(person).

I've been a snooker fan for years and I prefer the longer matches as it allows the players to get themselves back in to the game. Taylor's comeback in 85 is proof of this.....any other tournament would have seen Davis winning after the 3rd session.
    I've been to the World Championships in Sheffield many times, I generally try and get up for the opening weekend and come home Sunday afternoon. Several years ago we were watching an Ali Carter match and we went home at the end of the first session. It was literally frame after frame of negative safety play.
    Very boring to watch frame after frame and to be honest not what the fans go for.

Master
    Cream will always rise to the top, Better player 9 times out ten will win over a longer distance- O'Sullivan is a freak of a player, getting better and better with age. Williams, Higgins Etc... are tremendous players in their 40's, Ronnie is the GOAT end the of.

Just tuned in to the final in time to see O'Sullivan level the match at 2-2 with considerable breaks...the second being a demonstration of ball control to take the blue time after time.

I've no doubt that Neil Robertson is up for the challenge. He seemed to be in a very good frame of mind when interviewed after his semi-final...as did Ronnie.

Let's see how long this one lasts...

Craftsman
    Good tournament. The longer matches typically mean the better players get through, proven with who’s in the Final.

I’m a snooker player and play a fair amount, while I’m not a huge fan of RoS that comeback against Trump was one of the best I’ve seen. The final black was very tough even though it looked simple.

On a separate note I played Dennis Taylor the other week in an exhibition and I lost on the black...absolutely gutted especially as I was the only player (from 7) who got anywhere near beating him. He’s still a bit tasty and had an 87 on the night along with loads of 50+ breaks. Lovely bloke too with some funny stories.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    On a separate note I played Dennis Taylor the other week in an exhibition and I lost on the black...absolutely gutted especially as I was the only player (from 7) who got anywhere near beating him. He’s still a bit tasty and had an 87 on the night along with loads of 50+ breaks. Lovely bloke too with some funny stories.
    I'm well jealous.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk