closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone got shares in Tesla

Master

Anyone got shares in Tesla

20,000 advance orders for the Porsche Taycan and the Macan will be electric only from 2020.

If you believe the stories found when you start digging, Tesla/Musk are on borrowed time even without the likes of the Porsche electrics coming to market...

Their cars are crap (owners reviews) and Musk is a egotistical douche bag (see Thai Cave rescue story for clarification)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Their cars are crap (owners reviews) and Musk is a egotistical douche bag (see Thai Cave rescue story for clarification)
    Please don’t hold back, say what you mean.

Most people think that if Tesla get bought they will do very well out of their shares

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Most people think that if Tesla get bought they will do very well out of their shares
    Has that boat sailed? I read that Musk thought a few years back that he'd soon be selling out to a major manufacturer wanting an easy way into the electric car market. I saw a few Ioniqs (I think they're called) in Amsterdam and reckon Hyundai and Kia are one generation away from a really interesting and desirable electric car. Did I also see that VW and Tesco have signed an agreement where the latter will install fast chargers for the former.

I don't find Teslas interesting at all but what Honda, Fiat and Peugeot are doing with small, lighter electric city cars really does make sense. The future is lightweight, not big heavy SUVs.
    "A man of little significance"

Tesla isn’t about cars. The cars are about driving demand for EV’s and therefore battery and recharge technology.

It is little like Amazon...they were never a book company...

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    Tesla isn’t about cars. The cars are about driving demand for EV’s and therefore battery and recharge technology.
    This is true, and they are already selling batteries for renewable energy to Australia (and probably others, I haven't checked), as well as investing a lot into research in that area, as it's the main bottleneck.

Originally Amazon were just a book company, but Bezos saw a series of opportunities and took them. Musk has had bigger plans from the outset and it's never really been much of a secret. Even so, I think they are trying to make good cars. Their problem has been trying to apply software engineering principles to hardware, with roughly the same outcomes as the attempts to apply hardware engineering principles to software, up until the 90s. I suspect they will overcome those problems before the rest of the automotive industry overcomes theirs though, because it's easier to shift something small and agile so parts of it are bigger and slower, than the shift something big and slow so parts of it can move fast.

Porsche will change the game in principle, the choke point will be the price point.

Until the market realises an affordable car with a decent range the attraction remains limited.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Porsche will change the game in principle, the choke point will be the price point.

Until the market realises an affordable car with a decent range the attraction remains limited.
    I think Tesla is taking exactly the right strategy here: target customers with reasonably high disposable income first and start to produce more affordable models when the rest of the infrastructure for charging etc., is widespread and your production processes have got refined enough that you can operate on thinner margins. Another super high-end competitor isn't going to affect them much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I think Tesla is taking exactly the right strategy here: target customers with reasonably high disposable income first and start to produce more affordable models when the rest of the infrastructure for charging etc., is widespread and your production processes have got refined enough that you can operate on thinner margins. Another super high-end competitor isn't going to affect them much at all.
    I think Tesla will get rolled over in the car market in no time at all.

I agree with Jon, they are spread betting the technology.

What EVs if not cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What EVs if not cars?
    Trucks, trains, buses, autonomous delivery systems etc.

Trucks, trains, buses, autonomous delivery systems etc.
    Can't see a bigger market for those than cars TBH.

Master
    Elon is a dreamer and a visionary. Tesla was never about making cars or making money. It was about jump starting a revolution. Autonomous and electric vehicles for 90% of journeys makes a lot of sense. I can't wait to just be able to subscribe to a service that delivers a car to the front door when I need it for whatever journey i might be making. And then it does it autonomously as I sit back and enjoy a book.

edit: yes, I know that's just a taxi at the end of the day. Someone needs to get the Johnny Cab trademarked quick.

The cars are just there to jump start the market. He actively wants Ford, BMW and Porsche making cars as they are likely to need some of his huge battery manufacturing and wide electric delivery capability.

The Tesla cars that are produced use a wide variety of bought in parts, they are not the root of the tree, they are there to spread the message. I am no huge EV fan, but you have to look out of the box for what he is trying to achieve.

My Amazon analogy was to try and point out that they made most of their money from delivery charges for quite some time... not from the book they were delivering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Electric buses alone have reduced oil consumption by almost 300,000 barrels per day.

The cars are just there to jump start the market. He actively wants Ford, BMW and Porsche making cars as they are likely to need some of his huge battery manufacturing and wide electric delivery capability.

The Tesla cars that are produced use a wide variety of bought in parts, they are not the root of the tree, they are there to spread the message. I am no huge EV fan, but you have to look out of the box for what he is trying to achieve.

My Amazon analogy was to try and point out that they made most of their money from delivery charges for quite some time... not from the book they were delivering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I see your point, Tesla promoting EVs in general, including other manufacturer’s cars.

TSLA shares are the best thing since sliced bread. I am currently in the progress of determining the optimal asset allocation between TSLA, BTC and XRP to make me filthy rich.

Join me to the moon!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Tesla have changed a lot over the years. But I suppose now as a public company they have pressure to make 'profits' and their pricing strategy means I probably won't buy another of their EVs, though the Model Y is very tempting!

EVs from the established manufacturers will no doubt take over given their scale and vertical integration, but as someone above mentioned - Tesla's mission was to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transport / energy. I think they have definitely done that so Elon deserves all the plaudits in my eyes.

Not sure what I would do with shares if I had them.. I was recommending clients buy them when they were $29 many moons ago. I think it's quite likely they will be taken over at some point so probably just hold them.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Electric buses alone have reduced oil consumption by almost 300,000 barrels per day.
    Chris, is that globally? I think total UK oil consumption is somehwhere around 1.5m barrels per day, and that’s for everything from power to plastic. Cant see buses being responsible for a fifth of that.
    And the electricity still needs to be made, and the 500kg of lithium has to come from somewhere, so probably hard to gauge a net impact. Also, don’t know what’s it like round your way but round Reading/Oxford the 52 seaters run around with about 4 people in them picking up the council subsidies.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Chris, is that globally? I think total UK oil consumption is somehwhere around 1.5m barrels per day, and that’s for everything from power to plastic. Cant see buses being responsible for a fifth of that.
    And the electricity still needs to be made, and the 500kg of lithium has to come from somewhere, so probably hard to gauge a net impact. Also, don’t know what’s it like round your way but round Reading/Oxford the 52 seaters run around with about 4 people in them picking up the council subsidies.
    Figure was quoted by Bloomberg mate - worldwide figure (including China).

Don't do buses!.

Master
    I've shorted Tesla shares.

Handy when you have the US Government funding a good lump of your ideas, various figures bandied about but seems likely somewhere between three and four Billion dollars in grants and subsidies been given to Tesla alone, along with a similar amount passed across SpaceX, Boring and the other Musk ventures. That pays for initiating a lot of big ideas and a whole lot of media attention, but keeping it going long-term as a viable business once that funding dries up is another matter entirely.

In short, Musk could effectively be doing a Pump & Dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    TSLA shares are the best thing since sliced bread. I am currently in the progress of determining the optimal asset allocation between TSLA, BTC and XRP to make me filthy rich.

Join me to the moon!
    I had you down as someone who had insider knowledge of the upcoming ICOs the great unwashed should invest in?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I had you down as someone who had insider knowledge of the upcoming ICOs the great unwashed should invest in?
    I do, but for obvious reason cannot share that info on the open forum.

PM me and I will tell you where to send my fee first.
    Last edited by Raffe; 24th March 2019 at 06:56.

How many of you wise and enlightened folk actually own a Tesla or have even driven one??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    20,000 advance orders for the Porsche Taycan and the Macan will be electric only from 2020.
    Expressions of interest isn't the same as a firm order. How much will they cost?

Master
    E
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    How many of you wise and enlightened folk actually own a Tesla or have even driven one??

- - - Updated - - -

Expressions of interest isn't the same as a firm order. How much will they cost?
    €2500 non refundable deposit, in Europe at least

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Okay, a tip after all: Invest in this. Instant riches, guaranteed. Maybe.

Once the major players like BMW, Audi and Mercedes fully join the party with all electric instead of just hybrid vehicles Tesla are done.

Master
    To echo Vanguard’s post above Volvo’s latest Polestar offering , looks blow by blow the same spec as the Tesla Model 3 , Difference being an automotive background with automotive expectations of its shareholders.

https://youtu.be/UhzZXgiE_OY

Steve

Is it me or is Tesla a great big Ponsi scheme
    Or are they just like De Lorean ?

Master
    Tesla shares drop.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-3-goes-abroad

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If you have any I'd sell them now as well