closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a used car

Journeyman

Buying a used car

Currently trying to buy either a Touraeg or an Q7.

Finding that not only am I getting derogatory trade in prices of my Macan but there's a reluctance to discount the asking prices.

Has the demographics of buying a used car from a stealer changed?. In my experience albeit I haven't bought used for a few years anyone spending £40 odd grand on a motor will expect a discount.

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Sell the Macan privately, as long as you get better than a trade in price you're quids in. I've sold all my cars privately including an R8 V10 and an Aston Vantage. Got very close to dealer selling prices.

For your new used car, scour the market do a graph of mileage vs price and age vs price and look for the outliers and investigate why they are outliers, you'll find a bargain in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Sell the Macan privately, as long as you get better than a trade in price you're quids in. I've sold all my cars privately including an R8 V10 and an Aston Vantage. Got very close to dealer selling prices.

For your new used car, scour the market do a graph of mileage vs price and age vs price and look for the outliers and investigate why they are outliers, you'll find a bargain in there somewhere.
    Never even thought of a graph ileage v price, what a great idea and simple.

I’ve sold my last 3 vans to webuyanycar ,I know it’s not a macan but it’s worth a try ,in every case they’ve been way above trade in price .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I usually get a price from We Buy Any Car and use that as the asking price for my trade in with the dealer and yes, I’d always try and get something discounted of the new car / deal. That said, my last experience was similar to yours… two of the garages I went to point blank refused to discount their car whatsoever which I thought was a bit strange. Both of them give me a similar spiel in that they offered their cars at fair prices and that nowadays everyone uses the internet to compare so the days of knocking off 10% are over!

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    so the days of knocking off 10% are over!
    I would have thought that expecting the days a dealership would swiftly knock 10% off a car sale to have never actually have been there anyway.
    They're far more interested in selling you finance so they can bang a bit more on that deal too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Noaksey View Post
    Currently trying to buy either a Touraeg or an Q7.

Finding that not only am I getting derogatory trade in prices of my Macan but there's a reluctance to discount the asking prices.

Has the demographics of buying a used car from a stealer changed?. In my experience albeit I haven't bought used for a few years anyone spending £40 odd grand on a motor will expect a discount.

Well worth phoning round a few independents for a price on your Macan and then negotiating on the VW.
    If you can't be bothered with the hassle of selling it privately (which I can't)that is.
    I sold my Cayman to an indy last week and got 2K more than Porsche garage offered.They still stuck 5K on it and it sold within a day so on reflection maybe I should have tried to punt it privately.
    If your Macan is in decent shape PM me and I will give you a contact.

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If your thinking about a new vehicle then some dealers won’t have 10% in the car to give away, second hand, dealers compete via the internet and if people don’t see the price they want to pay they don’t call, discounts tend to be long gone what you see is what you pay, in the part of the country I worked on anyway.

Some special offers on the Audi Q7 on drive the deal

https://www.drivethedeal.com/SpecialOffers.aspx

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mijyou; 22nd March 2019 at 21:26.

I don't think its ever changed, they always want to give you nothing for the car you have, so if theirs looks cheap, you get insulted with the px price for your old car and theirs then ends up looking expensive. Only way to get a good deal is to stay in the price bracket below 5 grand and look to cough up 1500 quid each time you px. Cars are so good these days that 5 grand buys something really nice.