closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steinhart OVM 39 vs 42 - Advice?

Steinhart OVM 39 vs 42 - Advice?

Decided I am definitely getting a Steinhart OVM. Just undecided on size.

My wrist is 6.75”, flat.

The biggest grumble about the 42mm Steinharts is the 50mm flat lugs. I’ve never handled a Steinhart, so have been scouring Instagram & YouTube trying to assess and compare how these two watches wear!

I could buy the 42mm from Steinhart direct, right now, but I’m hesitant. The 39mm, which has a 47mm lug to lug is an alternative option, but is only available via Gnomon, costs a little more and would also incur an import fee (does anyone know how much?). Also, the next batch isn’t out until at least next month, so scratching the itch will have to be postponed.

I’d rather make the best choice as opposed to the most convenient one. Are there any afficionado’s here that can advise or give the benefit of experience? Am out with the lads tomorrow night, got a worrying feeling I may wake up Saturday morning to find I’ve drunkenly pulled the trigger on the 42mm in between finishing my kebab and falling asleep on the sofa!

Cheers
    Last edited by davidj54; 21st March 2019 at 21:47.

This might help - the 42 is quite large I have a 7.75" wrist

The proportions of the 39mm seem better to me in pictures. I think it might be the lug width more than any thing else. My wrists are larger than yours at 7.5 inch and I am happy wearing watches up to 46mm but it would be the 39mm OVM for me.
    I too have thought about buying one (almost monthly) but as I already have 3 CWC divers I know it would not get worn as it’s just a bit to similar. It is a lovely looking watch though.

Here is a side by side of the OVM next to PRS-82 (40mm).

Master
    I'd go 39 but I have the 42 and a 6.75" wrist and it's fine.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

My wrists are 7.25" and my Steinharts are all 42mm. I did buy a 39mm and to me it seemed very small so I sold it and won't be buying any more.

It is also a question of taste, do you like bigger or smaller watches generally and the shape of your wrists. Mine are generally flat on top, so the lug issue that seems to bother others is not a problem for me.

It's a shame that you have focused on the OVM because as you say that is an exclusive to Gnomon in Singapore and you would have to register for a notification of when they are next in stock. The price is in US$ so exchange rates plus 20% VAT plus around £18 couriers handling fee when the Watch lands in blighty.

Steinhart in Germany do sell 39mm watches including the very popular GMT and there are no additional costs. God only knows if that will change any time soon.

I find the 42mm OVM to be one of the smaller looking Steinharts on the wrist because the bezel area is quite big.

Steinhart OVM 39 vs 42 - Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    Here is a side by side of the OVM next to PRS-82 (40mm).
    That’s a good call actually. OP have you looked at the PRS82? It a fantastic watch for the money. I really like mine. It has a very similar vibe.

I have a thing for watches inspired by British MOD issues watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    My wrists are 7.25" and my Steinharts are all 42mm. I did buy a 39mm and to me it seemed very small so I sold it and won't be buying any more.

It is also a question of taste, do you like bigger or smaller watches generally and the shape of your wrists. Mine are generally flat on top, so the lug issue that seems to bother others is not a problem for me.

It's a shame that you have focused on the OVM because as you say that is an exclusive to Gnomon in Singapore and you would have to register for a notification of when they are next in stock. The price is in US$ so exchange rates plus 20% VAT plus around £18 couriers handling fee when the Watch lands in blighty.

Steinhart in Germany do sell 39mm watches including the very popular GMT and there are no additional costs. God only knows if that will change any time soon.

I find the 42mm OVM to be one of the smaller looking Steinharts on the wrist because the bezel area is quite big.

Great post thanks mate. That 42 looks spot on on your wrist. I have no issue wearing larger watches, and in reality 3mm on the lug and case length isn’t a huge deal.

I’ve looked at every Ocean One going and swayed from one to the other. I decided I’d prefer a vintage homage, as opposed to the black/green 39’s or the GMT. That narrowed it down to the OVM vs the Vintage Red. In a way choosing the Red would’ve been easier as there’s no size option to then decide upon! But for me the OVM has the nicest aesthetic.

Current exchange rate puts the 39 at £382. Add 20% to that plus an £18 handling fee you’re looking at the thick end of £500, if I can get one when it becomes available. The 42 is readily available and currently priced at £329. Typing that out has probably helped me make my decision!

Whilst I have your ear, any opinions on Chronomaster? Are they alright or better to go via Steinhart direct? Cheers.

Thanks to others for responses also👍

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Current exchange rate puts the 39 at £382. Add 20% to that plus an £18 handling fee you’re looking at the thick end of £500, if I can get one when it becomes available. The 42 is readily available and currently priced at £329. Typing that out has probably helped me make my decision!

Whilst I have your ear, any opinions on Chronomaster? Are they alright or better to go via Steinhart direct? Cheers. 
    The maths certainly supports the 42mm. The 39mm has the 'collectors' element to it, sort of a limited edition without them saying how many are being made. People try and make money on e-bay from the 39mm.

Personally my advice is buy direct from Steinhart. Neil at Chronomaster does seem to have a good reputation on here, but if there are any issues later on Steinhart expect you to go back to the retailer that you bought from and it makes things easier all round if that was them. Their site is easy to use and you get delivery in about 3 days via DHL. If the Watch ever needed to go back Steinhart pay for the shipping.

The maths certainly supports the 42mm. The 39mm has the 'collectors' element to it, sort of a limited edition without them saying how many are being made. People try and make money on e-bay from the 39mm.

Personally my advice is buy direct from Steinhart. Neil at Chronomaster does seem to have a good reputation on here, but if there are any issues later on Steinhart expect you to go back to the retailer that you bought from and it makes things easier all round if that was them. Their site is easy to use and you get delivery in about 3 days via DHL. If the Watch ever needed to go back Steinhart pay for the shipping.
    Yeah I’ve seen people trying to flip brand new 39’s for silly money on eBay. The ‘limited edition’ factor doesnt interest me, it seems like a gimmick - they sell like hot cakes and for as long as people want them Gnomon will keep commissioning them.

This has actually been really helpful, I will be ordering a 42mm and will take your advice and go via Steinhart direct. Excited now.

Cheers👍

Master
    I had the same decision to make a few days ago David, I went for the 42mm for my 7.5" fairly round Wrist, my logic being I could live better with a Watch a tad to big rather than a tad to small.

My 42mm Pepsi GMT on Jubillee should be here tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

you’re looking at the thick end of £500, if I can get one when it becomes available. The 42 is readily available and currently priced at £329. Typing that out has probably helped me make my decision!
    The alternative way of looking at that would be: £329 is a lot to pay for something that doesn't fit...

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    I've got a 6.75 incher and have the original OVM. I never wear it, it just looks far too big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The alternative way of looking at that would be: £329 is a lot to pay for something that doesn't fit...
    Ha, that’s one way of looking at it I suppose mate. I’m not concerned re it not fitting, I had a 43mm Tag F1 that had 49mm lug to lug, currently have the Tudor Ranger which is 41mm, 48mm lug to lug. These are all similar sizes watches give or take a mil that have looked good on my wrist.

Craftsman
    Interesting thread. I'm currently torn between pulling the trigger on a 'GMT Pepsi Jubilee' 39mm or 42mm with a similar sized wrist. My other watches are all around 41mm and look fine (IMO) and whilst I don't really want/need to go any bigger, I'd definitely rather not go smaller in case it looks comparatively tiny in relation to my others which would mean I probably wouldn't wear it/enjoy it.

Sizing - it's a funny old thing.

Master
    I have been wearing the 42mm for a week and I have to say it is a fantastic watch, I had one a few years ago and it is the only watch I have ever bought twice and this one will stay. It is heavy on the bracelet but wears well on a nato. Link below to my incoming post pic.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...58#post5049558

My mate is eyeing one up having tried mine and he has small wrists, although i have no idea on size, he didn't find it too big.

They hold there value well so you wouldn't lose a lot trying the 42mm and I can't fault the buying process direct with Steinhart.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    I have been wearing the 42mm for a week and I have to say it is a fantastic watch, I had one a few years ago and it is the only watch I have ever bought twice and this one will stay. It is heavy on the bracelet but wears well on a nato. Link below to my incoming post pic.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...58#post5049558

My mate is eyeing one up having tried mine and he has small wrists, although i have no idea on size, he didn't find it too big.

They hold there value well so you wouldn't lose a lot trying the 42mm and I can't fault the buying process direct with Steinhart.
    That image is on bracelet, this is it on a haverston canvas nato, my wrists are 7.5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This is the 42mm OVM on my 7' wrist. It works, IMO but sometimes i feel i am pushing it a little.
    Its one of the reasons im considering flipping it.

Master
    I've had two 42mm Pepsi GMT and I couldn't get on with the size on my 7"wrist. I bought the 39mm last year and it's perfect for me. I have also bought the SE Explorer dial 39mm and popped it on a jubilee direct from Steinhart and again, it's perfect.

Here are a couple of average photos:

7.5" Wrist and the 42mm - it's a lovely watch, although it is heavy on the bracelet.

A 39 may suit your wrist size, and being a Rolex homage, it is the more traditional size. Me? I prefer a Mark One 42.

I think you'll be fine with either - the 42 should definitely work on a wrist like yours, being flat will help.

Master
    Just to add, I didn't like the 22mm non tapering bracelet either, it just didn't look or feel right. The only way is to try one if you can. Good luck!
    Last edited by stix; 23rd March 2019 at 10:47.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Just to add, I didn't like the 22mm non tapering bracelet either, it just didn't look or feel right. The only way is to try one if you can. Good luck!
    The new version of the OVM tapers from 22mm to 18mm mate.

Master
    The new version of the OVM tapers from 22mm to 18mm mate.
    Well it's a start but the size never felt or looked right at 22m even so. It's different for everyone of course, that much is obvious, but until you actually try either size on, it's almost impossible to say if it's going to work for you.

I have 6" and prefer the 39mm. I have a green one, tomorrow I can post a photo of it on the wrist.

Cheers
    Last edited by barbosas; 26th March 2019 at 11:29.

Master
    My 42mm came today and I'm glad I went with the bigger size, I think the 39 would have been to small on my 7.5" Wrist.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    My 42mm came today and I'm glad I went with the bigger size, I think the 39 would have been to small on my 7.5" Wrist.

Good call for sure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Good call for sure.

I also wouldn't fancy going any less than the 18mm taper of the 22mm bracelet either, I'm sure the 20mm bracelet tapers down to what would look a dainty 16mm on my big'ish Wrist.

Master
    I also wouldn't fancy going any less than the 18mm taper of the 22mm bracelet either, I'm sure the 20mm bracelet tapers down to what would look a dainty 16mm on my big'ish Wrist.

Yes in your case, that size works well. Enjoy!

Ocean One 39 on 6" wrist

Master
    First 24hrs on the Wrist for my new Pepsi GMT and +2 seconds per day, can't grumble at that, better than my SMPc and that's after it's trip back to Omega for regulation.

Little update folks - I went with the 42mm OVM, £330. I emailed Neil at Chronomaster about availability, delivery times etc. and have to say I was really impressed - great personalised service, next day delivery, well packaged product.

As for the watch - I love it and feel I’ve made a good decision. It sits nicely on my wrist, is very comfortable, excellent build quality especially at the price and in my opinion the aesthetic of this watch is to die for. I’m glad I went for the 42mm as although it’s a reasonably sized watch, the dial isn’t huge and felt small compared to my other main watch, the Tudor Ranger which is a 41mm but with a dial about 5mm bigger, so the OVM39 would’ve felt even smaller by comparison.

Great summer watch, chuffed with it. Cheers lads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes 42mm is the better size for you. I've been tempted by a Steinhart GMT they do look good, especially on the jubilee. Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Yes 42mm is the better size for you. I've been tempted by a Steinhart GMT they do look good, especially on the jubilee. Nice one.
    He's put it on the wrong wrist

Master
    He's put it on the wrong wrist
    I've got the Rolex Pepsi on the other

I have recently bought an Ocean One 39 and it is a very nice watch. However, it does seem to wear quite a lot smaller than I expected when compared to an Orient Mako, which I think is either 40 or 41 mm. It's amazing how much difference 1 or 2 mm make.
    That said, my Glycine Sub Combat (42mm I believe) seems to wear very large, yet it is comparable 9n paper to others in my collection. At this point I should point out that I have very small wrists and my daily work watch is a Seiko Monster, so it also depends very much on what size watch you are 'used' to seeing on your wrist.
    Until I discovered this forum, I wore a 38mm Tag for 10 years straight and that fealt just right. I needed a new watch whilst it was serviced (the point of no return) new purchases initially felt huge, but the Tag feels very small now.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

Steinhart ovm

I bought the 44 first , loved it but the ovm caught my eye , chronomasters had one in stock but in 42mm ok not so bad ,i liked the 44 so 42 is no problem . 24 hours later it arrived . Its my favourite watch i didnt get the 39 mm thing , i eventually ordered a steinhart ocean 1 39mm again Neil came through in 24 hours , to me it seems quite small , so i fitted one of Eddies bund straps 20mm , it seems more bearable , i wore a seiko bfk for 10 years which after surviving 2 motorbike crashes with scars and grazes . Its a big heavy watch , so i really dont have a problem with steinhart 42mm watches . I dive too so have a nato strap on my ovm , lovely watch , my favourite watch to date .

Banned
    I would have said go 39mm OP , however the 42mm looks great on you , by the way that Pepsi gmt on jubilee looks great too

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Little update folks - I went with the 42mm OVM, £330. I emailed Neil at Chronomaster about availability, delivery times etc. and have to say I was really impressed - great personalised service, next day delivery, well packaged product.

As for the watch - I love it and feel I’ve made a good decision. It sits nicely on my wrist, is very comfortable, excellent build quality especially at the price and in my opinion the aesthetic of this watch is to die for. I’m glad I went for the 42mm as although it’s a reasonably sized watch, the dial isn’t huge and felt small compared to my other main watch, the Tudor Ranger which is a 41mm but with a dial about 5mm bigger, so the OVM39 would’ve felt even smaller by comparison.

Great summer watch, chuffed with it. Cheers lads
    Well done David, really pleased for you and it looks superb, just the right size. I think the 39mm would have definitely looked too small.

Enjoy

Steinhart PSA:

One day offer only - buy a 42mm GMT from Gnomon on a Jubilee and they will throw in an oyster bracelet as a freebie.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/ocean-1...bilee-bracelet

It is on a Coke insert, but a Pepsi insert will cost €15 direct from Steinhart.

All angles covered. A good deal for anyone thinking of buying new

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 29th March 2019 at 13:16.

Master
    Great heads up, Ken.

Saw this picture on one of the FB groups and although 3mm doesn't sound a lot, there is a fair difference in size between these two:

In terms of area, the ratio between a 39mm and 42mm watch is about 6:7

Master
    Saw this picture on one of the FB groups and although 3mm doesn't sound a lot, there is a fair difference in size between these two:
    Absolutely and it was a genuine surprise when I picked up the 39 Pepsi as I wasn't convinced it would be that much of a difference. It really is the perfect fit for me and so, so comfortable and unobtrusive on the wrist. I really hope they continue the size in other models.

Master
    In terms of area, the ratio between a 39mm and 42mm watch is about 6:7
    I don't want to split hairs, but it's more like 13:14

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Absolutely and it was a genuine surprise when I picked up the 39 Pepsi as I wasn't convinced it would be that much of a difference. It really is the perfect fit for me and so, so comfortable and unobtrusive on the wrist. I really hope they continue the size in other models.
    I think you are safe there. After years of producing mainly 42mm watches, Steinhart have clearly discovered a whole new market with the 39mm watches. Most of the exclusive editions like the OVM and Explorer at Gnomon and even the PanAm from the German Boutique were exclusively 39mm. Most of the standard diver type range now is being produced in 39mm.

Not sure if this will ever extend to the likes of the Military, Pilots, Chronographs etc though, cant really see those being released as 39mm models.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    I don't want to split hairs, but it's more like 13:14
    13:14 is the ratio of the diameters.
    6:7 is the ratio of the areas.

The area of a circle 39mm across is 1195
    The area of a circle 42mm across is 1385
    1385 / 1195 = 1.16
    1.16 × 6 is, roughly speaking, 7

Splitting hairs =/= missing the point

Master
    13:14 is the ratio of the diameters.
    6:7 is the ratio of the areas.

The area of a circle 39mm across is 1195
    The area of a circle 42mm across is 1385
    1385 / 1195 = 1.16
    1.16 × 6 is, roughly speaking, 7

Splitting hairs =/= missing the point

Touché !

Master
    I'd have guessed a 20% area increase based on looks so 4% out is not too bad.